Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Leeds United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours 2020/2021

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,495 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

On a high from that result, great spirit shown. 6 wins in a row is some form to be had coming into such an intense part of the season. Deserved the win today too.

Regarding West Brom, would fully expect them to be up there. If they do win the league, grand. Just once it's Leeds in second, which is more than I had hoped for this season

It's just sensational. It's hard to think of a better story in football right now. It's strange that Leeds are at the centre of good news. This is the "no one like us we don't care" club where fans chant songs about Jimmy Savile to stick 2 fingers to the media. The club made a very high risk appointment, a manager with very strong views about how the game is played, who needs to control everything, and had little English. And it hasn't paid off in just being top of the table, it's a football revolution. The football is wonderful, the media loves Bielsa, his football brain, his humility, youngsters are being brought through, teams fear Leeds. He has shaken up a club that was football poison for 15 years with financial woes, a procession of managers, insane owners, any player with talent sold off year after year.

The wheels may still fall off. It's Leeds, after all. But for the moment, not just fans of Leeds, but fans of football should enjoy what's happening at Elland Road.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,719 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

loads of my friends support leeds - hope you go up -

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭NuckChorris1

championc wrote: »
    I feel that our only current weakness within the team is BPF so it won't surprise me to see a keeper come in, in the next week or so.

BPF doesn't inspire a huge amount of confidence in me, particularly when it comes to crosses and corners.

We should consider returning Baker and maybe even Harrison, who have both been below the level needed and it appears now that the Academy lads have more to offer.

I'm very happy with how BPF has grown and think it's very tricky to know what to do with him. If he's replaced as number 1 it might shatter his confidence and he may not get back to current form. I think if we can get by with him in goal it'll do him a wonder of good and we'd have a damn solid keeper for free next season. Was surprised. To see during the week that he's 6ft 4. Doesn't look that tall, although having Jamal Blackman standing beside you wouldn't help anyone's image!

Would happily send Baker and Harrison off home if, and it's a big if, replacements of good standard could be found. Young academy lads have completely shown them up.

Still can't believe today's result. Bielsa is a god.

I'm getting to the stage where I trust Bielsa on everything.

Sure, we may have concerns about Peacock Farrell on crosses, but maybe Bielsa sees his distribution, or shot stopping. Either way, I trust Bielsa to get it right.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47,336 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Was travelling today and missed the match and I've only just seen the goals now. For your first goal for a club, Clarke's goal was as skilful and assured as you'll see anywhere. He's a genuinely exciting talent and I really hope that the club does everything in its power to hold onto him. I'd hate to see him go to the likes of City or Chelsea and get loaned out before they eventually sell him without him ever having made a first team appearance.

But more importantly, this is now a team that has belief in itself. In previous seasons getting back to 2-2 would have been considered a major achievement, there just wouldn't have been the hunger to press on for a winner. What Bielsa has done is got them working for a win right up to the final whistle every single game. There will be times, like WBA, where it doesn't work, but how many games have we had this season where we've picked up a win or a draw where in previous seasons we'd have at best drawn or more likely would have lost? If they miss out on automatic promotion it'll be because of injuries or suspensions, not through a lack of desire, and that for me has been Bielsa's greatest achievement to date. It's still too early to dare to dream, I've followed Leeds since the mid-70s and know all too well how misplaced optimism can be quickly replaced by crushing disappointment, but what I will say is that it's been a hell of a ride so far this season and I'm loving every minute of it.

Happy Christmas everyone. MOT.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭Eggs For Dinner

Highlight of the game was seeing a highly talented 18yr old scoring his first senior goal and the only thing on his mind was to get the ball back to halfway to restart the game. Unbelievable spirit in that team and something our opponents won't have failed to notice

• Registered Users Posts: 6,185 ✭✭✭championc

Even more incredible the fact that the majority of this team played last year. It must be down to coaching, psychology, or a mixture of both.

Sensational win. Might have to go back to Beckford at Old Trafford for a win that felt as good.

Just saw this on eir sport, aah felt good

• Registered Users Posts: 2,434 ✭✭✭Lamper.sffc

Highlight of the game was seeing a highly talented 18yr old scoring his first senior goal and the only thing on his mind was to get the ball back to halfway to restart the game. Unbelievable spirit in that team and something our opponents won't have failed to notice

Was thinking the same myself. Very mature attitude. You could even see him shouting at his team mates to up the tempo just before the restart.

• Advertisement

Was thinking the same myself. Very mature attitude. You could even see him shouting at his team mates to up the tempo just before the restart.

I saw a tweet a week or so ago from someone to Ian Harte (his Agent) asking if there was any chance in him declaring for the RoI. Has anyone here ever heard of him having an Irish connection ?

Interesting that McCarthy is looking to approach Bamford.

I saw a tweet a week or so ago from someone to Ian Harte (his Agent) asking if there was any chance in him declaring for the RoI. Has anyone here ever heard of him having an Irish connection ?

Interesting that McCarthy is looking to approach Bamford.

McCarthy did mention on Sky recently that he would have someone checking on Bamford at Villa, unfortunately he didnt get to see Bamford but I wonder after that Clarke display will they check out to see if there is an Irish connection.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭purple hands

One change from Villa, Douglas back in

To counter all the optimism, today has the feel of a potential banana skin...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭stryker mcqueen

Anyone elses commentary off? I'm listening to Stoke while watch Leeds

Anyone elses commentary off? I'm listening to Stoke while watch Leeds

Obviously depends on your source

There's a stream on fb group All Leeds Aren't We, have to join

1-0!!! Looks like an o.g

1-0!!! Looks like an o.g

Will take it anyway

Norwich two down to Forest

Struggling to break Blackburn down here

Well now

Very poor from BPF

But an equalizer!

• Advertisement

YESSSSSSSS!

Thats just insane. What an ending to that match. We just never know when we are beaten. :D

Bloody Norwich get a late equalizer

Still a three point gap opened up

Seven wins on the bounce too, must be League One the last time we did that

• Registered Users Posts: 2,261 ✭✭✭Shlippery

Utter disbelief. What a finish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,023 ✭✭✭10000maniacs

Nice win but it would be nice to pace up our defence in the January window. I'd be more comfortable with not going behind in every match.

Quite unbelievable. My IPTV streams are always about a a minute or two behind the live action. Therefore, I get a Flashscore "Bing" notification before I see a goal, but I don't go and check to see as to which team had scored.

However, I also get an end of match "Bing", so things have been somewhat interesting at the end of the match - particular with today's match.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,593 ✭✭✭DoctaDee

Bloody Norwich get a late equalizer

Still a three point gap opened up

Seven wins on the bounce too, must be League One the last time we did that

For the day that was in it I could've cared less about the Norwich equaliser, I was still been pealed off the ceiling when that goal went in....

Not tempting fate but the last time we won 8 in a row? .... 1931

The BiL managed to watch the Leeds game on the "red" button on Sky, it just kept telling me - no interactive services available:( .. it's not that I dont give the f***ers enough each month.. it's been a fantastic 3 days !

Actually getting optimistic now. 22 games left, think they'll win at least 11 of them, get a few draws, and that will see them over the line. Insane stuff altogether

With all the euphoria, BPF's blunder has been completely washed over. I haven't seen a replay yet but sounds like another fumble, giving more urgency to potentially bring in a keeper - who looks like might actually take the no.1 spot

• Advertisement

With all the euphoria, BPF's blunder has been completely washed over. I haven't seen a replay yet but sounds like another fumble, giving more urgency to potentially bring in a keeper - who looks like might actually take the no.1 spot

Was it a fumble? Thought he didn't get across in time to cover a position that should have been covered

Was it a fumble? Thought he didn't get across in time to cover a position that should have been covered

Sounded like a fumble - pushing it into the side netting. I don't think it was a dive and bare finger tips.

From what I remember Its a bit of both. Didnt cover the area well enough but still should have been able to get stronger hands to it and push it around the post.

He seems to have lightning quick reactions but give him time to think and he is making the wrong decisions. He is not ready to be a number 1

Don't change a winning team is something I believe in , darlow has been linked from Newcastle , if he comes in I would still like bailey to be number 1 with darlow waiting to step in if he makes another mistake, BPF distribution is second to none in the league which suits our style and also he can save a pen as shown against reading , I wouldn't be rushing to replace him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 975 ✭✭✭J Cheever Loophole

The ball seemed to go around the outside of the wall and in, which suggests a badly positioned wall. From what I could see, he was completely caught out and dived full length in vain, but could only touch it into the net. I've replayed it a few times and there appear to be a number of players very unhappy with him - Phillips in particular.

He is still young and inexperienced, but his errors are starting to come under increased scrutiny and I feel we need cover there urgently. All of our rivals are likely to be strengthening in January, so for all of the excellence to date, I feel we need to do the same, and a keeper is a priority.

Someone has already mentioned the seismic feel that the Villa result generated and I would totally agree. I had mates who are Leeds' fans texting in excitement, and it is a long time since that happened!! It's a very long time since I have been this excited about the team. Hoping and praying it continues.

Someone has already mentioned the seismic feel that the Villa result generated and I would totally agree. I had mates who are Leeds' fans texting in excitement, and it is a long time since that happened!! It's a very long time since I have been this excited about the team. Hoping and praying it continues.

One of the best things about this manager, team and system is that, while I could be wrong, I genuinely think if Bielsa takes Leeds up, they’ll do well in the top flight. I think the intensity, players hunting down opponents and surging forward as a pack, will be different to anything the EPL sees, it will unsettle teams. In previous years I felt that, even if someone like Grayson got promotion, as much as I liked him Leeds would be destroyed in the top flight. This is different, it's less reliant on individual players, it's more about the tactics. Not that Leeds are lacking in talent, I think the likes of Jansson, Philips and Ayling would only love to be unleashed on the likes of Pogba, Ozil and Sanchez in front of 40,000 at Elland Road. I think this team is ready to step up.

• Advertisement

Big game today, the top two teams in the form table so will be a tough task. If they come out of this with 3 points it will be huge. Can see Norwich drawing today too

Leeds go behind on 25. I assume they will have a better second half.

0:2 We need something special today again.

Dangerous lead for Hull

I presume they’re just waiting for 90 minutes to pass, 3 in injury time would eclipse the last 2 games...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭Mezcita

Ah well. Was a good run.

Despite the loss, it's fairly unscathed after Derby nab a late win

We definitely need to sign a pacey defender soon. Our current defence leaves a lot to be desired. We got away with far too much in our recent run.

We definitely need to sign a pacey defender soon. Our current defence leaves a lot to be desired. We got away with far too much in our recent run.

I wonder has Tyler Denton been recalled. He's been congratulated by Ian Harte on Twitter, but no reason is provided.

I wonder has Tyler Denton been recalled. He's been congratulated by Ian Harte on Twitter, but no reason is provided.

He is 23 and has only played 20 senior games in his entire career. Is he actually any good?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,294 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

We need a keeper in January. BPF, despite having great distribution, is too dodgy for me.

Is BPF as bad as people seem to think?

This is his first full season. Sure he's made a few errors, but afaik we're talking "not down quick enough" or "not authoritative enough" rather than Gary Sprake throwing the ball into his own net stuff. I remember a few clangers by Pickford when he was playing for Sunderland. BPF has also had some fine saves.

We've messed up with getting rid of a few keepers recently, Schmeichel was sold on because he tended to release the ball too quickly, Green written off prematurely. I guess as another poster has said, I'll trust Bielsa to do the cost benefit analysis, is it worth disrupting the dressing room and bringing in a new face etc.

Newcastle preparing a bid for Kemar Roofe ....I hope they have the sense to tell them to fook off !

Newcastle preparing a bid for Kemar Roofe ....I hope they have the sense to tell them to fook off !

Anything is possible, but of all clubs would be surprised if Mike Ashley puts together the transfer fee and wages that would be needed. And would also be surprised if Leeds allow a move, unless Bielsa agrees. So far he has been very undemanding in the transfer stakes.

Now, maybe Bielsa would agree and sees Bamford leading the line. Maybe a deal could involve a swap with Gayle. But suspect the “interest” could be leverage in Roofe’s contract negotiations.

Happy New year, let's hope something goes right for once.

On tv at 3 today, hopefully get the 3 points to round off an exceptional month

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement