Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Leeds United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours 2020/2021

Comments

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47,336 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Well that was sh*t :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,495 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Poor result. Got confident for a while. I hope none of those players are playing the fa cup game

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭NuckChorris1

Yeah, we could easily have won the last two games with slightly different circumstances. Disappointing but we still look well able to beat anyone with our set up. Think too many are tired, missing or not back to speed after injury (Ayling and Douglas aren't near as good as they were a month or two ago). Pablo def needs a rest and BPF probably needs replacing as much as I'd love him to come good right now. Forshaw playing in Phillips' spot is like replacing a Ferrari with a Fiat Punto!!

Other results going our way again thank God!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,023 ✭✭✭10000maniacs

Yeah, we could easily have won the last two games with slightly different circumstances. Disappointing but we still look well able to beat anyone with our set up. Think too many are tired, missing or not back to speed after injury (Ayling and Douglas aren't near as good as they were a month or two ago). Pablo def needs a rest and BPF probably needs replacing as much as I'd love him to come good right now. Forshaw playing in Phillips' spot is like replacing a Ferrari with a Fiat Punto!!

Other results going our way again thank God!!

2 turning points. Forshaws idiotic back-pass and Phillips idiotic sending off.
    I would hope their asses are firmly on Bielsa's slicer after that.

I understand MB's thinking of not wanting a particularly large squad so that he doesn't have too many players not getting games, but I really think he needs to re-think that a bit now and bring in a couple of players in January. We've had a lot of injuries, some keeping players out for quite a while, and it's meant that the group of players who have remained injury-free aren't getting the rest they need. Another decent defender and someone who can fill in for Phillips when he's not playing would be a good start. And obviously a keeper.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭Eggs For Dinner

In fairness to Phillips, his discipline has been much better this year. Keeper needs to be rested. His decision making needs work. Roofe was unlucky today. Still have seen nothing from Harrison that I like. Clarke is a talent, but Bielsa is right, he's not a 90 minute man just yet. New bodies needed to cover injuries

• Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭stryker mcqueen

Sending off was the difference , we would have spanked them with 11v11 .

I think bielsa will bring in a keeper , probably Darlow , but I also think that will be our only business this window which worries me so I hope I'm wrong !!!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 5,015 Mod ✭✭✭✭GoldFour4

Hoping that a decision is made to forget about the FA Cup and rest majority of the first team next weekend. Big game coming up against Derby, we don't want to be coming out of that with 3 losses in a row.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,207 ✭✭✭maximoose

Still have seen nothing from Harrison that I like.

Yeah, I get that he's slowly introducing Clarke but there has to be a better starting option that Harrison - he's been poor lately

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 975 ✭✭✭J Cheever Loophole

maximoose wrote: »
    Yeah, I get that he's slowly introducing Clarke but there has to be a better starting option that Harrison - he's been poor lately

I actually thought Harrison was quite decent yesterday, and yet I still saw Clarke coming on to replace him as a positive.

The back to back defeats have started to reawaken old fears of a familiar mid season collapse, so we are entering now a very important transfer window for the Club. We have been undone by a terrible run of injuries, and some bad individual errors.

Over the Christmas period, we shipped 10 goals, and but for two stunning comebacks against Blackburn and Villa, we could conceivably be talking about four defeats in a row.

Ten goals conceded in four games underlines the impact that injuries are having, with the second and third goals yesterday coming from corners. The keeper - and apologies for sounding like a broken record - is becoming a real issue. He was culpable for Forest's decisive third goal yesterday and I think his hesitancy compounded Forshaw's error for the first goal. I also thought that Forest should have been reduced to ten men when Harrison was brought down when clean through. That was a red card all day long, so we can lament our luck in that respect.

The good news though is that we're still top, with Norwich and WBA also hitting turbulence, and in each of the recent defeats Leeds still dominated with more of the ball, more shots, more shots on goal etc.

The next few months are obviously huge and in that context, taking a spill at QPR this weekend with a weakened team, would be far from a disaster.

A new goalkeeper is an absolute priority.

• Advertisement

Kompany’s tackle last night, big debate over whether it should have resulted in a red card. Seemed similar to Philip’s “horror tackle” over the weekend. Went in with 2 feet off the ground for a ball between him and opponent. Not sure why analysts so certain one was awful and the other was more “could have been a red, some refs would give it”...

Kompany’s tackle last night, big debate over whether it should have resulted in a red card. Seemed similar to Philip’s “horror tackle” over the weekend. Went in with 2 feet off the ground for a ball between him and opponent. Not sure why analysts so certain one was awful and the other was more “could have been a red, some refs would give it”...

Seems to come down to how much contact is made. If Kompany was a second later and broke Salah's leg he'd have been off. Shouldn't be the way a decision is made a an "out of control" tackle is just that regardless of the contact made. If they want to stop them then punishment needs to be consistent.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭Ceist_Beag

+1 Conor. Analysis it seems is always clouded by factors such as the player involved (Kompany certainly gets away with challenges others would not get away with), the occasion, etc. But as you say, if you analyse both challenges objectively, they are both almost identical and both should have resulted in a red card.

Today’s line up will be interesting. While obviously the entire focus hasn’t to be on promotion, Bielsa may take the view that 3 losses in a row are bad for momentum and confidence, and not go for wholesale changes.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 5,015 Mod ✭✭✭✭GoldFour4

He named the team at the press conference yesterday as far as I know: Peacock-Farrell, Shackleton, Ayling, Halme, Davis, Forshaw, Baker, Roberts, Clarke, Alioski, Harrison

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭iseegirls

Today’s line up will be interesting. While obviously the entire focus hasn’t to be on promotion, Bielsa may take the view that 3 losses in a row are bad for momentum and confidence, and not go for wholesale changes.

He's pretty much named the starting 11 in yesterday's press conference for the match tomorrow. Not as much changes as I'd expect. Ayling, Forshaw, Peacock Farrell, Alioski look to start, along with Clarke, Baker, Roberts, Halme, Leif Davis, Shackleton and Harrison.

2:1 QPR. That was crap.
    Just watched how magnificent Derby were against Southampton yesterday, and TBH the way Leeds are playing now, I don't hold out much hope for us on Friday.
    When was the last time we weren't chasing a game? Seems like a long time ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭purple hands

Meh, obviously it's not ideal to lose three in a row. But that was a second string team at best and not really on same scale as Sutton or Newport.

Youngsters got a decent run out. Of the rest, Harrison failed to impress. Maybe harsh, but BPF's failure to hold onto a long shot played a part in run up to conceding the second.

Move on to more important business.

2:1 QPR. That was crap. Just watched how magnificent Derby were against Southampton yesterday, and TBH the way Leeds are playing now, I don't hold out much hope for us on Friday. When was the last time we weren't chasing a game? Seems like a long time ago.

I wouldn't read too much into this today , perfect result in my opinion, not embarrassed and went down fighting ....now back to the league

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭Ceist_Beag

It does show that our squad is very thin on the ground in terms of replacements capable of challenging the first 11. I would like to see a few signings this window if we are really to challenge for promotion. We had a similar fall off the last time we topped the table towards the end of September and it took a few weeks to regroup again so it may well be a few weeks before we're back winning, especially with tricky games against Derby and Stoke next.

Ceist_Beag wrote: »
    It does show that our squad is very thin on the ground in terms of replacements capable of challenging the first 11. I would like to see a few signings this window if we are really to challenge for promotion. We had a similar fall off the last time we topped the table towards the end of September and it took a few weeks to regroup again so it may well be a few weeks before we're back winning, especially with tricky games against Derby and Stoke next.

Bielsa himself has said we need to replace Saiz and Blackman, so at a minimum you'd expect to see two signings

Ceist_Beag wrote: »

Yeah I still have nightmares about last season. :)
    After the great start, It was those 4 or 5 games we won that kept us up. We lost nearly every game after Christmas.

Happy that the squad will likely get a break in a few weeks, I think it will really help in the long run.

Do agree some signings are needed though. I'd be shocked if the team got promoted though, damn hard to get out of, especially with a small squad

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭Eggs For Dinner

I thought we played very well and were unlucky. There are obviously some individuals who continue to struggle, but some of the young lads stood up to the mark IMO

Shaughnessy off to Hearts on loan according to the YEP

Must be well down the pecking order

• Advertisement

Quite indifferent to yesterday's loss, which is a reflection not just on the continued loss of status of a once great competition, but the much more urgent priorities that Leeds have.

The relatively small nature of the squad, together with the energy sapping high pressing game, and the relentless injury list, means that a couple of weekend breaks over January and February should be very beneficial. Indeed the team played yesterday was far from the strongest available which suggests that management will not be having any sleepless nights either.

Huge match coming up on Friday. Appreciate the transfer window still has some way to run, but would like to see some additions sooner rather than later, given the importance of the upcoming games.

Shaughnessy off to Hearts on loan according to the YEP

Must be well down the pecking order

Halme moved clearly ahead of him and think Bielsa would probably play Klich or even Forshaw there before Shaughnessy. With Bielsa he either doesn't rate you or he'll back you to the hilt (Alioski/Forshaw/Harrison)!

Pity as I would like an Irish guy to do well and be in the team at Leeds. That can be Paddy Bamford now tho :P

Lewis Baker recalled by Chelsea. Didn't make much of an impression tbh.

Another spot to be filled in the transfer window.

We were linked with Swiss midfielder Steven Zuber a week ago or so, but he's gone to Stuttgart.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭iseegirls

No loss with Lewis Baker going. A few others have been loaned out too. Would be nice to get some in, bit no point getting them on for the sake of being squad players. In Bielsa we trust. Cooper played yesterday in an u23s game, so would be good to see our defence getting back to normality soon.

Lewis Baker recalled by Chelsea. Didn't make much of an impression tbh.

Another spot to be filled in the transfer window.

We were linked with Swiss midfielder Steven Zuber a week ago or so, but he's gone to Stuttgart.

Ugh....i was hoping Baker going back was to free up wages for Zuber , we are in desperate need for players now.

But in Marcelo we trust!!!

• Advertisement

Think Zuber had big reservations about dropping to the Championship affecting his international caps. We really need Orta to help Bielsa out and get the right players in. They have done so far, but the waiting and seeing players move to other clubs is torture. Was the same last summer as Douglas and Bamford didn't move until late enough in the window after we worried about Joe Bryan/Vydra/Hernandez/Grabban etc. This is the best chance we'll get for promotion. Please, please don't blow it!!!

Think Bielsa's press conference, which has just finished, was quite downbeat, according to Phil Hay on twitter. Hernandez is a serious doubt for the Derby match and there are no transfer updates.

Think Bielsa's press conference, which has just finished, was quite downbeat, according to Phil Hay on twitter. Hernandez is a serious doubt for the Derby match and there are no transfer updates.

Big transfer update from elsewhere is that Harvey Barnes may be recalled by Leicester. Would be nice.

Also, as with Hernandez being a doubt for us, Harry Wilson is doubtful for Derby on Friday.

Douglas also out injured for 2-3 weeks, but at least Cooper is fit to play on Friday.

Ups and downs or wha...

Big transfer update from elsewhere is that Harvey Barnes may be recalled by Leicester. Would be nice.

Done. Big loss for WBA. They'll still be a threat and should have money to try and replace him, although I can't see them getting anyone as good.

Massive game tonight. Can't wait. Hoping that the week of rest and time with Bielsa has hit the reset button and we go on a good run of form now. Cooper back alongside Jansson was badly needed. Fingers crossed Pablo plays too.

Was laughing at the spying story from last night. Turns out it was an actual Leeds employee. Very strange.

https://www.dcfc.co.uk/news/2019/01/club-statement-3

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,207 ✭✭✭maximoose

That's embarassing....

Bit of a sideshow before the main event

Can't imagine Bielsa would sanction something like that

;)

Was laughing at the spying story from last night. Turns out it was an actual Leeds employee. Very strange.

https://www.dcfc.co.uk/news/2019/01/club-statement-3

If Bielsa is sending someone to spy on training, my estimation goes up yet again. This is a man that leaves nothing to chance.

And if members of the public can attend, can't see why the police would bother with it. What crime was committed? Bit much if Derby got the police, unless it was not public and this man was trespassing.

• Advertisement

I'd say something like sending somebody to spy happens the whole time. Getting caught doesn't though, and you end up looking stupid after it

FA involved now , knowing Leeds we will probably get a points deduction and finish 7th because of this .......

FA involved now , knowing Leeds we will probably get a points deduction and finish 7th because of this .......

15 point deduction incoming

Maybe we can re-sign Beckford and Kandol to bail us out again

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭Jimbob1977

I can't see the issue here.

The man was standing in a public place and was not trespassing on private property.

A good manager should be checking out the opposition!

It should only be a problem if there is trespass.

15 point deduction incoming

Maybe we can re-sign Beckford and Kandol to bail us out again

Tresor <3

Clarke and Hernandez start and Wilson out. Alioski left wing-back. Love it.

Happy with our bench but when you compare value and experience of the two benches it madness tho!

Bielsa has taken full responsibility for the"spy" and said he's always done it, just that some teams are less OK with it than others. Hopefully all the fuss around it doesn't distract the team tonight.

In other news, a plaque was unveiled at ER today commemorating Albert Johansson as the first black player to play in an FA Cup final. By all accounts he was a very talented player, sad that he ended his days broke and with a drink problem. At least he's getting some well deserved, albeit belated recognition.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Some set of balls on Bielsa. Saying that he's been at it (spying) since 2002 and that he has a 'different point of view' from anyone that says it's cheating.

• Advertisement

Can't watch the first half but just gone 1 up. Nice to see early on

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement