Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Leeds United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours 2020/2021

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭Ceist_Beag

Let Bielsa send out the u23 team for last two fixtures and take the first team off for a hardcore training session like he did for international breaks. We came back from them all guns blazing.

Was thinking the same thing. The lads are running on empty at the minute, passes going astray. lacking creativity and confidence. If they keep going as they are then semi final defeat in the playoffs is almost inevitable. Something has to be done and a break might be the best option. I think he has to play Clarke and Roofe and maybe even Izzy Brown is worth throwing in now, just to give them all a chance to put their hand up. Of the current first team, we may have a problem at left back now so he may need to work on a plan for there as well. Pablo really needs a rest, as does Cooper who didn't look 100% yesterday and Klich as well. No point risking many of the others either, it should be all geared towards the playoffs now.
    God this season is really something - on the one hand we're playing the best football I've seen since the Babes team - on the other hand we've been shown real hope of automatic promotion only to have it cruelly snatched away so it's hard to know if the lads can raise their game again after that.
    Either way, Bielsa is a genius and I really hope we can keep him for next season, whichever division we're in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭Eggs For Dinner

maximoose wrote: »
    Whatever about yesterday, I just can't believe we fúcked it up against Wigan. Unbelievable.

Play-offs it is then.

Villa will win the playoffs as it looks at the minute. I'd rest the vast majority of the squad for the next 2 games. Send the U23s in, it doesn't matter what the result is. The only chance we have is if the 1st team is re-energised to perform as they did in the early part of the season

• Registered Users Posts: 2,434 ✭✭✭Lamper.sffc

Will it be Derby in the playoffs? You know its going to happen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭NuckChorris1

Return flights to London on day of play-off final are €40 for now. Hmmmmmm....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,207 ✭✭✭maximoose

Won't be able to make the final - but flights to Leeds are €25 for the second leg of the semi (assuming we don't piss away 3rd place as well)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,185 ✭✭✭championc

Villa will win the playoffs as it looks at the minute. I'd rest the vast majority of the squad for the next 2 games. Send the U23s in, it doesn't matter what the result is. The only chance we have is if the 1st team is re-energised to perform as they did in the early part of the season

Absolutely, if the Blades win on Saturday. The last thing this team needs right now is another defeat, moreso than another match. We will be hammered by Villa right now and would leave the team with Zero confidence going into the playoff final (IF we get that far)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭PabloAndRoy

Alioski confirmed out for rest of season.

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47,336 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Won't be able to make the final - but flights to Leeds are €25 for the second leg of the semi (assuming we don't piss away 3rd place as well)

The second leg will be either the 14th or 15th, but that won't be decided until the 4 teams are confirmed. I think it will then depend on police advice.

https://www.efl.com/clubs-and-competitions/key-dates/

Semifinal A (which should be us if we keep 3rd) is scheduled for the 14th anyway, but yeah subject to change probably. Might take a gamble.

• Advertisement

https://www.efl.com/clubs-and-competitions/key-dates/

Semifinal A (which should be us if we keep 3rd) is scheduled for the 14th anyway, but yeah subject to change probably. Might take a gamble.

I'm sure I saw that which semi is A and B aren't decided by finishing positions. Will be a 'random' draw by efl or something.

Ah, I think I misread a Leeds Live article and assumed we were match A - better hold off then!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

Still gutted about how it’s gone over the last few weeks. I had started the dream we could be back to the big time.

It’s SO hard to get out of this league. Who knows when the next opportunity will be. Will Biesla actually stay another season? What about Pablo, Pontus, Philips?

Utterly depressed about it all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,495 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

quarryman wrote: »
    Still gutted about how it’s gone over the last few weeks. I had started the dream we could be back to the big time.

It’s SO hard to get out of this league. Who knows when the next opportunity will be. Will Biesla actually stay another season? What about Pablo, Pontus, Philips?

I do think Bielsa will stay. Phillips if No big money offers come in will be there. Not many would go up to the PL anyway. So bit of strengthening could go along way

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,024 ✭✭✭10000maniacs

quarryman wrote: »

When we have a defence that is incompetent and a strike force that couldn't score in a hashish factory.

Afaik the whole promotion push was a 2 year project. Being top at Christmas and the way the team crushed opponents raised expectations amongst fans, but don't think the club budgeted to go up immediately. So doubt Bielsa leaves, promotion or not, and if they fail I completely trust that he will do what is best given any budget restrictions etc. Can't think of anyone better than him to sit down and assess what should be done if they have to go again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Fozzie Bear

Will it be Derby in the playoffs? You know its going to happen.

You just know its going to be them, the footballing Gods are b@stards as this weekend has shown.

The Media will have a collective orgasm, Spygate, Lampard, bushes, wire cutters etc, etc, etc and we will probably get beaten to top it all despite stuffing them twice this season.

I'm sure I saw that which semi is A and B aren't decided by finishing positions. Will be a 'random' draw by efl or something.

3rd plays 6th (A)
    4th plays 5th (B)

It's always been that way.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭purple hands

Return flights to London on day of play-off final are €40 for now. Hmmmmmm....

Don't even.....

But if its a 5pm kick-off and goes to extra time, would you be cutting it fine for Stansted 10pm flight?

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭Dub Ste

I went to my first game in 81, against Man City. It was a night match. It was freezing, then it started to rain, and we lost !!! ever since then it’s always been a rollercoaster ride with Leeds.
    We never do things the easy way, we do things the Leeds way, so many ups and so so many downs.
    They’ve broken my heart so many times, yet given me some of the best times of my life.
    This is just another one of them things.
    MOT..... f*ck it, the oul ticker loves a good scare now and then��������

Is it not a 3pm KO?

• Advertisement

3rd plays 6th (A)
    4th plays 5th (B)

It's always been that way.

Looked back at the last 3 years and you're right. They were on different days instead of same day different times but 3rd vs 6th always played first. Can't see where I saw that it was a random draw so apologies to maximoose. Delighted we're not playing at the same time as the Heinieken Cup Final, makes for a massive day of sport!

Is it not a 3pm KO?

Yup.

Saturday 11 May - Championship semi A first leg 12:30KO / Championship semi B first leg 17:15KO

Tuesday 14 May - Championship semi A second leg 19:45KO

Wednesday 15 May - Championship semi B second leg 19:45KO

Monday 27 May - Championship play-off final 15:00KO

Hnnnnnnnnnnnng.

I'm in London for the Strokes that weekend anyway, but due to fly home on the Sunday. Thinking I'll book an extra flight home on Monday evening for €20 and see how it goes.

Despite our poor form, I don't fear Derby at all and would relish the opportunity of beating them once again. We also owe Aston Villa a beating in Wembley but it would be very hard to call who would come through from Villa and WBA. I think once the dust settles on the last weekend, we will regroup and see that we still have a great chance of promotion here - just not quite the opportunity we all hoped for.

Ah right, I didn't think KO times were confirmed. EFL just have the dates up.

Is it not a 3pm KO?

It is 3pm may 27th.

We will be there and villa also.

Any of Derby, Bristol City or Middlesbrough we can beat over two legs.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,294 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

Is it not a 3pm KO?

I've just booked in my half day in work.

I went to Wembly for the League One playoff final defeat. Paid a fortune for Club Wembly seats. It wasn't fun. I'll watch this one at home (provided we get there of course).

Ceist_Beag wrote: »
    Despite our poor form, I don't fear Derby at all and would relish the opportunity of beating them once again.

Hmmm last week I would have agreed, but did any of us fear Wigan and Brentford? I certainly thought we would beat both of them fairly easily.

Derby/Lampard would have a BIG point to prove if we meet them given what went on and Bielsa's presser where he spelt out all of Derby's tactics and abilities. He (rightly) rubbed Frank's nose in it after he spent a week b!tching about the "spy". So they have plenty of ammo and motivation to beat us.

Our form and moral are on the floor right now especially after Monday. The players looked crushed at full time. I would not be confident of beating Derby (or anyone else) by any means right now. Villa and Ipswich games will tell a lot about where we are mentally I think. We need something out of both games before going into the play offs.

I'm worried.....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭stryker mcqueen

Kingp35 wrote: »
    I've just booked in my half day in work.

I went to Wembly for the League One playoff final defeat. Paid a fortune for Club Wembly seats. It wasn't fun. I'll watch this one at home (provided we get there of course).

I was at the Watford 0-3 and Doncaster 0-1 playoff final defeats so I might give this a miss if we get there!!

Also have a baby due on the 26th so my priority's will be all over the shop :pac:

It is 3pm may 27th.

We will be there and villa also.

Any of Derby, Bristol City or Middlesbrough we can beat over two legs.

I honestly don't see it. All three teams will be saying "yes...get in. Just run at them and we will score. Its that simple against Leeds.
    Howard Wilkinson said recently his best player in his title race was Fairclough because he was the best team player. Give him the best opposition player to mark and he would be taken out of the game for 90 minutes. That is a great side. Rimming with team players.
    Leeds are lacking that now. All the defenders are doing midfield roles when they should be defending and we always get caught with nobody back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 975 ✭✭✭J Cheever Loophole

Hmmm last week I would have agreed, but did any of us fear Wigan and Brentford? I certainly thought we would beat both of them fairly easily.

Whilst I was always worried about the Brentford game, given our track record there, I thought we would take Wigan. It's hard to believe that in terms of football played, a match and a half ago everything looked to be totally in order and now little over 120 minutes later, the season is potentially in ruins.

I was working on Good Friday, but followed the live updates of the Wigan game on the BBC website. Once they equalised, the sense I got was that the confidence drained from the players and I felt that is how they looked on Monday - little or no belief and nearly a resignation to defeat and failure. I'm at a loss to explain how quickly things have turned around and I'm afraid it points at a deeper underlying malaise, i.e. the character of the players.
    I'm worried.....

You and me both. We have lauded Bielsa for his insight, genius, tactical acumen etc etc. Well he now has a huge challenge on his hands in terms of motivating the players and building their self-belief for the challenges ahead. That is also his job and it is a big one but it is one that he must overcome if a season that promised so much is not to turn to ashes.

Derby/Lampard would have a BIG point to prove if we meet them given what went on and Bielsa's presser where he spelt out all of Derby's tactics and abilities. He (rightly) rubbed Frank's nose in it after he spent a week b!tching about the "spy". So they have plenty of ammo and motivation to beat us.

Our form and moral are on the floor right now especially after Monday. The players looked crushed at full time. I would not be confident of beating Derby (or anyone else) by any means right now. Villa and Ipswich games will tell a lot about where we are mentally I think. We need something out of both games before going into the play offs.

I'm worried.....

Yeah I hear ye. I'm trying to talk myself into believing we can still get promoted! I think part of the issue over the weekend, especially against Wigan, was anxiety. Players were panicking a bit, especially Alioski and Harrison down the left. Bielsa certainly has a job on his hands now to get the players to regroup and start again. If he can do that we are certainly good enough to win the playoffs - admittedly that is quite the large IF!

Also have a baby due on the 26th so my priority's will be all over the shop :pac:

2 defeats and the fickle fans are coming up with lame excuses, I'm washing my hair/I have a baby due the day before...pathetic.

2 defeats and the fickle fans are coming up with lame excuses, I'm washing my hair/I have a baby due the day before...pathetic.

It's progress. Normally we become the Championship's whipping boys just after the Christmas break. This season it was Easter. Next year maybe we should buy a decent £5 million striker and a couple of decent defenders. Strength in depth is what we need.

It's progress. Normally we become the Championship's whipping boys just after the Christmas break. This season it was Easter. Next year maybe we should buy a decent £5 million striker and a couple of decent defenders. Strength in depth is what we need.

My comment was very tongue in cheek...new arrival > Leeds!

My comment was very tongue in cheek...new arrival > Leeds!

Does it ! Hopefully she goes early haha

..... Rimming with team players .....

If thats what it takes then I'm sure Pontus will do it! :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭Mezcita

We're still 2/1 to get promoted but it feels a lot more unlikely to me. The play offs are a total lottery. Just disappointing to see that we had such a good opportunity to finally get out of this league but blew the automatic promotion option.

It's been a week since the Easter massacre began and I've had time to reflect and have now come to the following conclusion.

Its going to be OK , we are going up

MOT

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47,336 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

The only two things we have left to cling on to - optimism and delusion. I'm not really sure what stage I'm currently at. :D

I was pretty feckin glum Monday-Wed this week but I'm actually back to being positive too haha

Can't see Ipswich doing anything tomorrow to make the last 2 games interesting. I'm accepting playoffs.

Derby/Middlesborough/Bristol - confident we can beat any of them over 2 legs.

Villa are in flying form and I'd fancy them to make it to the final too. It'd be nice to take some wind out of their sails on Sunday.

I'm kind of veering towards the optimistic end of the spectrum, though it goes against all logic!

Still...this week the Square Ball lads touched on the promotion from League One, how that was a complete ball ache in the end and seemed extremely unlikely too. The Bristol match was pure madness! A goal down, man sent off, 3-4 other teams fighting for last promotion spot. Side note - I don't think Howson's goal gets as much attention as it should! Still get shivers re-watching it.

Even if it's playoffs, as I said before it's a chance to exorcise some demons too.

It's been a week since the Easter massacre began and I've had time to reflect and have now come to the following conclusion.

Its going to be OK , we are going up

MOT

https://twitter.com/i/status/1121407273170014209

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 5,015 Mod ✭✭✭✭GoldFour4

If Ipswich could somehow sneak a draw (1 down at half) it would at least make tomorrow have some meaning

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 3,584 Mod ✭✭✭✭St Senan

playoffs it is so, Throw in some of the u23s over the next 2 games and see how they perform it will give some of 1st team a chance to be ready for playoff 1st leg and maybe the u23 lads might make a difference

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 940 ✭✭✭GHOST MGG

@navarre the new efl rules state that for the last four games of the season every team must field the same 10 outfield players that played in previous match only affected by injuries

Fairly gutting seeing the Norwich and Sheff Utd celebrations this evening. Can't begrudge them though, the table doesn't lie.

Ah well, can only hope Bielsa can rally the troops for the playoffs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

In a way it’s done and dusted at this point. Time to regroup and focus on the playoffs.

By Monday evening Leeds could be promoted.

Been on a drink and drugs binge for the past 10 days.

Well? Promotion?

Oh come on, if you follow Leeds you just accept that everything will end with crushing disappointment. It's still better than being a Mayo GAA fan...

Who could have predicted this page being so quiet before such a huge game .....the joys of being a leeds fan.

Anyway I predict a leeds win , pablo with a motm performance and pontus back to his best

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement