Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Leeds United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours 2020/2021

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭Ceist_Beag

Absolutely agree lads. Villa's loan signings played a massive part in them going up. We need that sort of impact if we're to challenge next season, especially as it looks like we're not spending too much over the summer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭NuckChorris1

I did some looking into the loans of top 6. Shows how important it was for other teams.

Sheff Utd: Dean Henderson, Marvin Johnson, Scott Hogan, Gary Madine, Kieran Dowell.
    Henderson huge signing, played every game. Next 3 have a big effect although were only for 2nd half of season I think. Gave attacking options and depth for the run-in. Don't know Marvin Johnson.

Norwich: Jordan Rhodes, Felix Passlack.
    Rhodes as good for them as Harrison for us. Other lad did nothing. Only team to get as little from loan market as us but they killed it on permanent transfers.

WBA: Dwight Gayle, Mason Holgate, Jacob Murphy, Stefan Johansen, Jefferson Montero, Tosin Adarabioyo, Harney Barnes.
    Gayle/Adarabioyo/Barnes/Holgate were all great signings. The midfield trio on loan did ok in patches but probably cost a fortune. Gayle and Barnes alone probably got them into the top 6.

Derby: Mason Mount, Harry Wilson, Fikayo Tomori, Andy King.
    3/4 were top players in the team all season. 1 didn't work.

Villa: Yannick Bolasie, Tammy Abraham, Tom Carroll, Anwar El Ghazi, Tyrone Mings, Andre Moreira, Axel Tuanzebe, Kortney Hause.
    Didn't realise there were so many. At least 4 had a huge impact on season. 2 or 3 more defintiely helped too. Just wow!

Leeds: Izzy Brown, Jack Harrison, Lewis Baker, Jamal Blackman
    3/4 had no effect at all. Harrison a solid squad player at best.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,261 ✭✭✭Shlippery

I did some looking into the loans of top 6. Shows how important it was for other teams.

Sheff Utd: Dean Henderson, Marvin Johnson, Scott Hogan, Gary Madine, Kieran Dowell.
    Henderson huge signing, played every game. Next 3 have a big effect although were only for 2nd half of season I think. Gave attacking options and depth for the run-in. Don't know Marvin Johnson.

Norwich: Jordan Rhodes, Felix Passlack.
    Rhodes as good for them as Harrison for us. Other lad did nothing. Only team to get as little from loan market as us but they killed it on permanent transfers.

WBA: Dwight Gayle, Mason Holgate, Jacob Murphy, Stefan Johansen, Jefferson Montero, Tosin Adarabioyo, Harney Barnes.
    Gayle/Adarabioyo/Barnes/Holgate were all great signings. The midfield trio on loan did ok in patches but probably cost a fortune. Gayle and Barnes alone probably got them into the top 6.

Derby: Mason Mount, Harry Wilson, Fikayo Tomori, Andy King.
    3/4 were top players in the team all season. 1 didn't work.

Villa: Yannick Bolasie, Tammy Abraham, Tom Carroll, Anwar El Ghazi, Tyrone Mings, Andre Moreira, Axel Tuanzebe, Kortney Hause.
    Didn't realise there were so many. At least 4 had a huge impact on season. 2 or 3 more defintiely helped too. Just wow!

Leeds: Izzy Brown, Jack Harrison, Lewis Baker, Jamal Blackman
    3/4 had no effect at all. Harrison a solid squad player at best.

Shame about Jamal really, coulda been great if not for the whole broken leg situation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 975 ✭✭✭J Cheever Loophole

Shlippery wrote: »
    Shame about Jamal really, coulda been great if not for the whole broken leg situation.

I've said this before. It was not evident at the time but his loss subsequently proved to be huge.

I don't care anymore.

Don't get me wrong, it's not that I don't care about Leeds, it's that I don't care to trust my judgement against that manager. I have completely subscribed to Bielsa. If Leeds sign 2 hoofers from non league clubs, I completely trust that Bielsa has seen something that I don't. It's possibly like the early stages of Moneyball, where supporters wonder why this signing or that. I have abdicated all judgement to Marcelo. I know he'll have Leeds fighting at the top end of the table whether he gets 200k or 20 mill. It's all about his system.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,261 ✭✭✭Shlippery

Rob Green retiring on a high after leading Chelsea to Europa League victory.

The one that got away lads.

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭stryker mcqueen

Shlippery wrote:
    Rob Green retiring on a high after leading Chelsea to Europa League victory.

Shlippery wrote:
    The one that got away lads.

I'm serious here, huge mistake letting him go

The Arab investment rumour is starting to gather pace ...... Interesting

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47,336 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Yeah, I think it's going to happen. L'Equipe and NY Times both reporting on talks today.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,614 ✭✭✭The Golden Miller

Never understood how Leeds are constantly broke. Only major team in England's 3rd biggest city. Never understood why no billionaire didn't buy them on the cheap years ago either, with their potential

Edit: Is Leeds still the 3rd biggest city when it's the actual city that's counted, not metropolitan areas like Greater Manchester?

Edit: Is Leeds still the 3rd biggest city when it's the actual city that's counted, not metropolitan areas like Greater Manchester?

Second largest by population actually, behind Birmingham.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,614 ✭✭✭The Golden Miller

Zaph wrote: »
    Second largest by population actually, behind Birmingham.

3rd surely behind London and Birmingham? Wasn't counting the real old London borders where it says like 10 thousand today. The modern city limits, circa 6 or 7 million I think? Birmingham just over 1 million, Leeds about 700,000, Manchester between 600,000 to half a million?

While I can't say I know of any allegations involving people linked to buying Leeds, I have concerns about sportswashing. There are serious questions about the links between the owners of Man City and the humanitarian crisis in Yemen.

There are issues that are far more important than the performance of a football club. If there are connections between this group and geopolitics in the Middle East, I'd rather see the club stay where they are, relatively poor but at least not linked to horrendous headlines.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,207 ✭✭✭maximoose

Reports seem to be that Radz is only entertaining offers for a 10% stake

While I can't say I know of any allegations involving people linked to buying Leeds, I have concerns about sportswashing. There are serious questions about the links between the owners of Man City and the humanitarian crisis in Yemen.

There are issues that are far more important than the performance of a football club. If there are connections between this group and geopolitics in the Middle East, I'd rather see the club stay where they are, relatively poor but at least not linked to horrendous headlines.

I agree. I have serious misgivings about the club getting involved with the Qataris. They've already bought the World Cup and I see the World Club Championship is going to be played there for the next couple of years. This is all on the back of at least 1,200 workers dying while constructing the WC stadia and a sh*tty attitude towards migrant workers in general. We don't need another reason for people to hate us.

As regards Radz only selling a small stake, you can be sure that if we get promoted some clause will kick in giving the Qataris overall control at a very nice pre-agreed price more in keeping with the price of a PL club.

• Advertisement

Anyone on here in a supporters club? A much as I enjoy bringing the wife and 5 year old son I would like to travel to a game or 2 with like minded leeds fans if possible!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,185 ✭✭✭championc

Anyone on here in a supporters club? A much as I enjoy bringing the wife and 5 year old son I would like to travel to a game or 2 with like minded leeds fans if possible!!

Most weekends, and especially for the home games, you'll find 20+ in Dublin Airport for the early morning flight, where most seem to meet in the Leopold bar down the end of the D Pier

Mid June and still no sign of any new players, I hope the summer doesn't drift on too long. Rumour of Costa, Kent and other wingers but nothing more than that right now. The talk of takeovers/investors seems to have gone quiet so hopefully that's put to bed now and we can focus on next season fully. The players return at the end of the month so I'm hoping we will have at least one new signing with them by then.
    Interesting to see Boro are to appoint Woodgate as their new manager and he's looking to bring Robbie Keane in as assistant. It seems quite the risk, they must see something in him.

Ceist_Beag wrote: »
    Mid June and still no sign of any new players, I hope the summer doesn't drift on too long. Rumour of Costa, Kent and other wingers but nothing more than that right now. The talk of takeovers/investors seems to have gone quiet so hopefully that's put to bed now and we can focus on next season fully. The players return at the end of the month so I'm hoping we will have at least one new signing with them by then.
    Interesting to see Boro are to appoint Woodgate as their new manager and he's looking to bring Robbie Keane in as assistant. It seems quite the risk, they must see something in him.

Who'd have thought years ago that this would be a managerial clash in the future? Middlesboro vs Charlton. A few years in the sun seems to have sorted their heads out - Bowyer fishing in France and Woodgate benchwarming in Madrid. That said it will be good to have them both back at Elland Road next season.

_1703803_woodgate2_bowyer_300.jpg
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS7_izTRdsjI1v4u1D-Pmv0u-oKOL9agiNXN8wvf6DBh6SN0iDdcQ

Who'd have thought years ago that this would be a managerial clash in the future? Middlesboro vs Charlton. A few years in the sun seems to have sorted their heads out - Bowyer fishing in France and Woodgate benchwarming in Madrid. That said it will be good to have them both back at Elland Road next season.

_1703803_woodgate2_bowyer_300.jpg
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS7_izTRdsjI1v4u1D-Pmv0u-oKOL9agiNXN8wvf6DBh6SN0iDdcQ

Bowyer had the racist incident in MacDonalds and also had that whole transfer saga mess where Liverpool offered 9 million but he wound his contract down and moved to West Ham for free, with no doubt a big bump up in his wages to reflect the no fee.

So while he was a fine player, he is down with Kewell in the "screwed us over when leaving" stakes, unlike the likes of Rio and Smith who ironically went to ManU and perhaps would get a cool reception now.

• Advertisement

Do ... not ... sell ... Phillips ...

I've seen it mentioned that we're more likely to hold out for £20m for him. If that went straight back into the team it mightn't be too bad, but the problem is that we know we have a quality player right now, there's no guarantee any new signings would be any better, or even as good as him.

I think there is a cast iron guarantee any new signings would be significantly poorer than him. There simply aren't that many quality players out there and Phillips is crucial to any ambition we might have of promotion next year. We just cannot sell him imho.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭purple hands

Sad state of affairs to be flogging the crown jewels. Vieira, Taylor, Cook, Byram, Howson...

Kalvin is absolutely essential to the way we play and a great lad too, i.e. didn't kick up any fuss when he was hooked early a couple of times. I can't see Bielsa agreeing to sell him, but money talks.

When the QSI investment story broke, there was mention of SIX interested parties in total. Could the other five perhaps get a move on please?!

He's the only player in the team that we can't afford to lose. Literally all other positions have a decent back-up and money could buy similar or better. Philips suits Bielsa's tactics too much to lose him. First and foremost there'd be a fans revolt unless the money was invested in bringing back Milner, Cook and Jonny Howson.

@PhilHayYEP

After 15 years at the YEP, I'm leaving the paper next week. Thirteen years home and away with Leeds United, which has been some adventure. They say you get less for murder but you get less for winning the lottery too. I'm grateful for all of it.

giphy.gif

@PhilHayYEP

really pleased that my next job will keep me in football writing, keep me covering Leeds United and keep me on Twitter. But more about that another time.

giphy.gif

Clarke to Spurs in the rumours again. 14 million plus add-ons according to waccoe.

He burst onto the scene but then was very inconsistent. 2 goals and 2 assists isn't a great return, albeit mostly off the bench. After returning from illness at Boro, I don't think he showed much tbh. But he could be next in line to make a real impact this season like Phillips did last year.

Much as I hate to see another academy graduate flogged, if the option was to sell one of Phillips, Roofe, Jansson, or Clarke to keep FFP at bay and/or raise funds for these high quality loans, is it the least worst choice given the others' proven ability to contribute?

You've got it bang on. IF we have to sell, which ideally would not be the case then he's the one that's a risk. He could be a star and play for England or drift away and never really make it. Spurs can take that chance financially, not sure we can. Jansson would be the next option. Love him and he's a great player but he's definitely replaceable. Hopefully the club silence is Radz sorting out a big money shirt sponsor for next season to solve the financial issue. Is the Kappa deal up too?

Like you said he arrived with a bang but then was quite anonymous any time he came on in the last few months, Shackleton looked much more promising IMO.

If we got 15-20m I'd be ok with it if it meant holding on to others.

Danny Rose looking to be on his way out of Spurs, with Leeds getting 10% of any profit over the £1m Spurs signed him for. Handy couple of mill hopefully!

• Advertisement

Yeah the two I really want us to keep are Phillips and Roofe. That said Clarke has something about him. He is still only learning and as you say, is a bit of a risk but there's no doubt he is exciting and I would be very reluctant to let him go. I don't know how this FFP works but really we seem to be a club who operate within our constraints so hopefully we're not forced to sell anyone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 975 ✭✭✭J Cheever Loophole

Hopefully the club silence is Radz sorting out a big money shirt sponsor for next season to solve the financial issue. Is the Kappa deal up too?

Was in the Leeds United shop in Leeds city centre last week and was asking the question myself. New shirt sponsor coming in this year and Kappa has one more year to run as kit provider of this current contract.

Was in the Leeds United shop in Leeds city centre last week and was asking the question myself. New shirt sponsor coming in this year and Kappa has one more year to run as kit provider of this current contract.

Cheers. Happy with Kappa as the provider actually, we've had much worse. Just if the contract was up we would get a better deal now with Bielsa in charge and a 3rd place finish behind us.

Fixtures out at 9am tomorrow!!!

Welcome distraction from transfer market and takeover inactivity.

Happy with Kappa as the provider actually, we've had much worse.

I think our Kappa gear has been fantastic, looking forward to seeing what they have done for the centenary shirt

Diadora and Macron were awful low points :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭iseegirls

Fixtures out at 9am tomorrow!!!

Welcome distraction from transfer market and takeover inactivity.

First game at home to Derby please!! :pac:

iseegirls wrote: »
    First game at home to Derby please!! :pac:

Has to be. Or maybe Huddersfield.

• Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭HyperSkypeWiper

Been frequenting the absolute cesspit that is WACCOE lately, which has ultimately ended up with me back here after 6 years. Looking at my last few posts I seemed to think Neil Warnock would be our saviour... oh dear.

Lot's of tantrums over Jack Clarke leaving on WACCOE, but there's been nothing concrete on the transfer at all from what I've seen and I can see Spurs not fancying it in the end tbh.

Fixtures announced - we start away to Bristol City on Sunday 4th August, which will be on Sky. Hopefully I can get a stream going in Alltogethernow :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Keyzer

Gonna try to get over for the Swansea game on 31 Aug - anyone any tips on getting tickets?

I registered on the Leeds official site and rang the ticket office. Tickets will go on sale 3 weeks before the match which is a bit of a bummer cos the flights are only 40 euro now.

Will be going with my brother (who is visually impaired) so would need tickets smack bang in the middle of either the east or west stands.

Keyzer wrote: »
    Gonna try to get over for the Swansea game on 31 Aug - anyone any tips on getting tickets?

Didn't struggle once last season with a gold membership, found getting tickets handy enough. It hasn't been confirmed what the ticket allowance per member per match is for this season though.

I've renewed my membership already, happy to try for tix for that match for you if you want! I'm gonna try to get to the Derby match in Sep

While tickets might only be available 3 weeks before a match, Sky last year undertook to provide a minimum of 6 weeks notice.

There will be instances where you might have to take a chance and book in advance to get cheap flights in the hope that the game won't be moved for TV or "security" concerns..

As a member, how many tickets are you allowed purchase? I'd only want two if we were going over, but would we need two memberships?

Zaph wrote: »
    As a member, how many tickets are you allowed purchase? I'd only want two if we were going over, but would we need two memberships?

Last season it started off being 8 per fixture (which was far too many)

Then it was reduced to 4, then 2, then 1 for playoffs.

I think it'll be 2 or 4 this year for at least the first half of the season.

All it states on the website so far is:
    *Membership does not guarantee match tickets. The number of home match tickets a Member can purchase per game will be decided on a match by match basis, so the club recommends that supporters purchase one Membership per person.

Re Sky selection of games, the minimum 5 weeks notice commitment remains in place but that is shortened to 4 weeks notice from Feb 7 onwards for games from March 7 onwards. Notice remains at 3 weeks for the penultimate weekend of the season.

Illustrative Sky live announcement dates (subject to 5-week minimum notice commitment until Feb).
    Rest of August games by July 5
    Sep 7-Sep 28 games by July 26
    Oct 2-Nov 9 games by Aug 30
    Nov 19-Dec 7 games by Oct 4
    Dec 11-Jan 11 games by Nov 1
    Jan 18-Feb 1 games by Dec 6
    Feb 8-Feb 29 games by Jan 3
    March 7 games by Feb 7
    March 14 and March 18 games by Feb 14
    March 21 games by Feb 21
    March 28 games by Feb 28
    April 4 games by March 6
    April 10-13 games by March 13
    April 18 games by March 20
    April 25 ganes by April 3
    May 2-3 games by April 27

• Advertisement

maximoose wrote: »
    Didn't struggle once last season with a gold membership, found getting tickets handy enough. It hasn't been confirmed what the ticket allowance per member per match is for this season though.

I've renewed my membership already, happy to try for tix for that match for you if you want! I'm gonna try to get to the Derby match in Sep

Cheers - really appreciate that.

How much is gold membership?

£50 for Gold

Get £5 off your first 3 ticket orders which gives a bit back.

£50 for Gold

Get £5 off your first 3 ticket orders which gives a bit back.

Interesting - can I buy two tickets with one membership?

TBC - but more than likely yes

TBC - but more than likely yes

You're a mother and a father to me...

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement