Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Leeds United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours 2020/2021

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 5,015 Mod ✭✭✭✭GoldFour4

Pontus leaving per Phil Hay, 5.5m. Apparently he’s had a falling out with the club

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47,336 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Pontus leaving per Phil Hay, 5.5m. Apparently he’s had a falling out with the club

:(

Bit of a bargain if he's going to a Premier League club.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭Carcharodon

Zaph wrote: »
    :(

Bit of a bargain if he's going to a Premier League club.

Yea, I would be thinking at least 7 or 8 considering the impact he has had

• Registered Users Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭Ceist_Beag

Tbh I've been disappointed in Jansson lately so not that surprised but it does leave us short at the back so hopefully there is someone lined up.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,185 ✭✭✭championc

Don't think Shaughnessy has gone out on loan anywhere yet. However, you'd have to feel that, to push seriously from the Prem, it would be a risk to go with him, especially too with Halme gone

• Advertisement

I'm guessing that Bielsa wasn't impressed with Pontus disobeying him when he tried to tackle the Derby player in the playoff match after Bielsa told the team to let them walk the ball in. If there weren't issues before then, that certainly would have caused a deterioration in the relationship.

Adam Pope just tweeted that he heard he's off to Brentford.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭Carcharodon

Adam Pope just tweeted that he heard he's off to Brentford.

I’d consider that a step down for him, I know they have done well and have a new stadium on the way but it’s still Brentford.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 5,015 Mod ✭✭✭✭GoldFour4

We’re very light at CB now. An injury to Cooper or Berardi and we’d be fairly screwed

I agree, it seems a backwards step for him all right. But for us it's not great either, Brentford had a decent start to last season and it was poor defending later in the season that cost them a shot at a playoff spot. Giving them one of the best defenders in the division doesn't seem like a sensible move. Doing so for about half of what a foreign team allegedly offered in January seems crazy altogether.

• Advertisement

We’re very light at CB now. An injury to Cooper or Berardi and we’d be fairly screwed

Well we have signed Ben White, but he's very young and I'd like to have more experienced cover. Tbh, I'd have preferred to see either Cooper or Berardi going, they're both liabilities in their own ways and replacing at least one of them should have been a priority this summer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,062 ✭✭✭davedanon

It would be a pity to see him go, but his form was pretty patchy last season. He had been brilliant the season before, was like he was resting on his laurels a bit. If he's not gonna play for Bielsa, though, we're better off getting rid. 5.5 mil seems way too low, though.

He’s 28, an on field leader, he was on the Championship team of the season, he’s an international, he scores goals, he seemed very proud to play for Leeds...madness that Leeds would pretty much hand him to Brentford. If there’s a row, do the old school thing and let him train with the reserves for a week, don’t gift him to another Championship side. He had that moment against Villa, but can think of far more costly moments of bad judgement by Cooper, Berardi and others.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,495 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

He’s 28, an on field leader, he was on the Championship team of the season, he’s an international, he scores goals, he seemed very proud to play for Leeds...madness that Leeds would pretty much hand him to Brentford. If there’s a row, do the old school thing and let him train with the reserves for a week, don’t gift him to another Championship side. He had that moment against Villa, but can think of far more costly moments of bad judgement by Cooper, Berardi and others.

Yeah but that judgement went against Bielsas commands. Big difference than making a mistake. There's some comments by a Noel Whelan, I saw it on Reddit, which explains it all more. Apparently he's all about his image, the Villa incident caused a rift amongst players (mainly himself vs the rest). The fans lap it up, but there's two sides to it.

Mushy wrote: »
    Yeah but that judgement went against Bielsas commands. Big difference than making a mistake. There's some comments by a Noel Whelan, I saw it on Reddit, which explains it all more. Apparently he's all about his image, the Villa incident caused a rift amongst players (mainly himself vs the rest). The fans lap it up, but there's two sides to it.

I don’t like Jansson’s chest beating to the fans, it’s a bit silly...but he’s still one of the best centre halves in that division. I appreciate that he went against Bielsa, but it was hardly a mutiny, everything went a little mad for a couple of minutes in that game. It was dwarfed by the madness of events at home to Derby. Even if the rift is too great to patch up, selling for less than his value to another Championship club just seems to be foolish.

I don’t like Jansson’s chest beating to the fans, it’s a bit silly...but he’s still one of the best centre halves in that division. I appreciate that he went against Bielsa, but it was hardly a mutiny, everything went a little mad for a couple of minutes in that game. It was dwarfed by the madness of events at home to Derby. Even if the rift is too great to patch up, selling for less than his value to another Championship club just seems to be foolish.

I would imagine something else happened behind the scenes. This seems all a bit sudden. If they could work Maupay into the deal then happy days. I agree it's foolish, but to sell him to a lesser club might wake him up.

Now watch as Brentford get promoted

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

It actually sounds like what United have got with Pogba, a key player but whose personality and attitude is increasingly disruptive. Clubs sell them on as quickly as they can and the fee is incidental.

is_that_so wrote: »
    It actually sounds like what United have got with Pogba, a key player but whose personality and attitude is increasingly disruptive. Clubs sell them on as quickly as they can and the fee is incidental.

I don’t know that Jansson is disruptive. And while I don’t buy into the everyone’s favourite because of his tweets, I don’t know of character issues. I suspect this conversation would have seemed bizarre before the Villa game.

I don’t know that Jansson is disruptive. And while I don’t buy into the everyone’s favourite because of his tweets, I don’t know of character issues. I suspect this conversation would have seemed bizarre before the Villa game.
    That's the gist of what is coming up on Twitter and it seems this deal suits both sides. As a player he has been immense at times but has had his very poor days too. It could be one of those bigger than the team scenarios and every team should defer to the Fergie approach on that!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭stryker mcqueen

Mushy wrote:
    I would imagine something else happened behind the scenes. This seems all a bit sudden. If they could work Maupay into the deal then happy days. I agree it's foolish, but to sell him to a lesser club might wake him up.

Mushy wrote:
    Now watch as Brentford get promoted

If Maupay got worked into the deal I wouldn't even want a fee for Pontus !! Its a shame alright but I trust Marcelo , and it makes sense now regarding the falling out , unfortunately he could've made the difference against derby , he was fit and being punished obviously

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭stryker mcqueen

Roofe to Rangers gathering legs apparently ....what is going on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,207 ✭✭✭maximoose

Yeah, I'm hoping that's just bs transfer window talk

In the space of about 10 days this window has gone from looking great to grim....

Roofe to Rangers gathering legs apparently ....what is going on

Third party talks apparently. No contact. More likely a negotiating ruse for now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Keyzer

maximoose wrote: »
    Yeah, I'm hoping that's just bs transfer window talk

In the space of about 10 days this window has gone from looking great to grim....

Lets not get too excited yet. If (and this is a big if) this is on the cards, Bielsa must have potential striking options lined up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,062 ✭✭✭davedanon

Why on earth would Roofe go to The H....Rangers?

davedanon wrote: »
    Why on earth would Roofe go to The H....Rangers?
    Loadsa money! Basically why teams at this level find it hard to hold onto their best players.

Loadsa money! Basically why teams at this level find it hard to hold onto their best players.

But Rangers? Can't see the money being too good there, a fierce backwards step too

But Rangers? Can't see the money being too good there, a fierce backwards step too
    For sure. Why go to a very average league when you could be in the riches of the Premiership at the end of the season? More likely to be his agent doing back channels for now, all to get his man a better deal.

For sure. Why go to a very average league when you could be in the riches of the Premiership at the end of the season? More likely to be his agent doing back channels for now, all to get his man a better deal.

Yeah it likely is. Wouldn't begrudge him the money, well worth it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,434 ✭✭✭Lamper.sffc

It's sad...but I love the look of sheer joy in his face at signing the contract.

It's sad...but I love the look of sheer joy in his face at signing the contract.

That's the face of a man who knows he's fcuked up a good thing and is paying for it by taking a serious backwards step in his career.

That's the face of a man who knows he's fcuked up a good thing and is paying for it by taking a serious backwards step in his career.

And it's hilarious

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 258 ✭✭tdonegan1990

Look at the broken bic pen they gave him to sign the damn thing!

• Advertisement

Look at the broken bic pen they gave him to sign the damn thing!

That's pretty embarrassing.

Poor Pontus :(

Im just wondering will we sign another centre back. We need one but Im thinking Bielsa will go with what we have. That would worry me.

Im just wondering will we sign another centre back. We need one but Im thinking Bielsa will go with what we have. That would worry me.

I agree, he seemed to be happy with what he had last season when we were more than a bit light. Halme and Pontus are now gone but Ben White came in, so I'd be concerned that he'd just go with White, Cooper and Berardi as his centre backs for the season. Cooper is too prone to making stupid mistakes, and Berardi's disciplinary record last season was awful (only 15 games, but managed 6 yellows and a red).

I agree, he seemed to be happy with what he had last season when we were more than a bit light. Halme and Pontus are now gone but Ben White came in, so I'd be concerned that he'd just go with White, Cooper and Berardi as his centre backs for the season. Cooper is too prone to making stupid mistakes, and Berardi's disciplinary record last season was awful (only 15 games, but managed 6 yellows and a red).

Yep. He also sees Ayling as a backup central defender if needed and now that Im thinking about it, he was happy to play Philips there too.

I think Jansons replacement may have already been brought in and its White. I hope Im wrong

Well there is also Pascal Struijk, young as he is. Likely to be an addition to the 1st squad I'd say.

• Advertisement

Sad to see Pontus go tbh. Always put in an honest days work even if he had some off days.

Sky have updated a number of the fixtures for TV as far as Oct:

https://www.skysports.com/championship-fixtures

Home games vs Derby and WBA now scheduled for TV

maximoose wrote: »
    Sky have updated a number of the fixtures for TV as far as Oct:

https://www.skysports.com/championship-fixtures

Home games vs Derby and WBA now scheduled for TV

Leeds vs Swansea not moved which makes me happy. Flights booked, gold membership sorted, just waiting for tickets to go on sale.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,294 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

Keyzer wrote: »
    Sad to see Pontus go tbh. Always put in an honest days work even if he had some off days.

I agree, I'm very sad to see him go. He's clearly one of the best defenders in the league and has put in some epic performances for us. Suppose I'll have to trust Bielsa's judgement on his bad influence in the dressing room.

Interesting takes on Jansson's move to Brentford:

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2019/jul/09/pontus-jansson-leeds-needed-money-brentford-bielsa-language

The above is the players view.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/real-reason-marcelo-bielsa-axed-17490960

This is third party view (which I would be more inclined to believe).

Still sad to see him go but in Bielsa we must trust.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,261 ✭✭✭Shlippery

Kit Launch kicking off in a few if anyone's into that :P

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KdeGyZ-r-lA

Something a bit off about it...silver/grey seems a bit odd with the 'new' logo.

That keeper jersey is absolutely fantastic, be getting that

Home and Keeper

BfIG277.png

The grey I believe is supposed to be platinum for 100 years anniversary. Meh, it's ok - quite like it. Keeper kit deserves to be an away!

I like them both - will deffo pick up the home shirt when visiting for a game.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,261 ✭✭✭Shlippery

Yea, I like the keeper jersey (despite it really looking like an away kit!) and the home one looks better in a few photos I've seen people put up.

Seemingly Kalvin's another one in negotiations with a risk of departure

Be3e0Nj.png

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement