Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Leeds United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours 2020/2021

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,062 ✭✭✭davedanon

I think that after the first half-dozen games last season where we were banging in goals and putting teams to the sword, other teams realised that we were going to have 60-70% possession no matter what they did, and it wasn't a good idea to go toe to toe with us. So they retreated behind two banks of four (or whatever), defended resolutely, and waited for us to blow ourselves out a little. If we hadn't scored after half an hour, which we usually hadn't, with Roofe out injured and Bamford ineffective, they would start trying to hit us on the break.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Ceist_Beag wrote: »
    On the positive side at least it means he is unlikely to leave now! I'm not overly optimistic we will be signing any cover up front at this late stage given all the signs from the club are that they were only looking at loan deals. It has been a somewhat underwhelming summer so far.
    Most summers in the Championship will be because FFP plays such a huge part and when average to mediocre "top" players are unaffordable for most teams. Loans are often the only option to get in quality players at a reasonable cost. The trick is to get that right. Derby did last season, as did Villa.
    Costa is a good deal, Harrison might be this season as might White and it is good to see Clarke stay on a season. If the season goes the way people hope then 2 of those could become permanent fixtures.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭NuckChorris1

QikBax wrote: »
    Looks like Phil Hay is off to join The Athletic when they launch in August.

They've poached some huge names from The Guardian, BBC, The Times and more

His replacement went from under 6k followers yesterday to over 22.6k now after being announced. Doesn't even start with YEP til Monday! Think Leeds will be a bit different to deal with than Chesterfield but hope he gets on half as well as Phil did. We will still have Phil though from the look of it. Will subscribe to The Athletic if need be.

https://twitter.com/GrahamSmyth

• Registered Users Posts: 3,030 ✭✭✭pavb2

is_that_so wrote: »
    Loans are often the only option to get in quality players at a reasonable cost. The trick is to get that right. Derby did last season, as did Villa.

This is it Villa had El Ghazi, Tuanzebe, Abraham, Mings and Hause on loan and all played in the playoff final, without them we wouldn't have gone up. Looking forward to the documentary especially our two games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,207 ✭✭✭maximoose

According to the ticket news for Forest match it's looking like 1 ticket per member this season

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47,336 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

maximoose wrote: »
    According to the ticket news for Forest match it's looking like 1 ticket per member this season

I'm hoping it's just because it's a category A game. I signed up for membership a couple of weeks ago, but only being able to buy one ticket would be bugger all use to me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Keyzer

Perhaps we can band together and help each other out when it comes to buying tickets? I have a gold membership but I won't be using it all the time - planning on going over three times this season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭PabloAndRoy

Keyzer wrote: »
    Perhaps we can band together and help each other out when it comes to buying tickets? I have a gold membership but I won't be using it all the time - planning on going over three times this season.

This is a great idea. I am the same. Have gold, but will probably only get to 3 maybe 4 games.

Keyzer wrote: »

Someone just posted this on the Leeds subreddit:
    If you are buying them online just make sure you have them as a friend on your account now. You can just add their customer number. Then you put the seats you want in your basket and select the names of the people in a drop down menu who will be taking the seats. Providing they have membership tied to their account it will let you buy them.

They will be sent to whichever customer bought them. A mate and I do the same with away tickets. Whoever beats the queue buys them.

I just had a look. You can definitely do this on the website ... Sounds good.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭stryker mcqueen

I have no issue doing this, I have 1 adult and 1 junior gold membership and will only make it to a few games

• Advertisement

There's a good chance this limit might just be because it's the first home game and an in-demand fixture, hopefully

I'm happy to lend a hand with my membership too!

Just saw this on the club website
    Due to the anticipated high demand for home match tickets, the number of tickets a Gold Member can purchase will be determined on a match by match basis.

It is highly likely that it will be capped at one ticket per Member, in order to make tickets accessible to more Members.

Ayling out for the start of the season following ankle surgery. No return date yet, but not expected to be long term.

Looking for a gold member (saucy) to help me out for the Leeds VS Swansea game on 31 Aug.

PM me if you can help - thanks in advance and I'll take care of your gold member.

Anyone else wants to trade details pm me too!

Went onto the site to order the GK kit this morning, sold out and all sizes of the home kit gone too. Apparently it's the first time they've ever had to reorder a GK kit :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,261 ✭✭✭Shlippery

maximoose wrote: »
    Anyone else wants to trade details pm me too!

Went onto the site to order the GK kit this morning, sold out and all sizes of the home kit gone too. Apparently it's the first time they've ever had to reorder a GK kit :pac:

Probably cos the blue kit looks like an away kit unlike past few GK ones! :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 975 ✭✭✭J Cheever Loophole

I note we are being linked with a move for Italian centre-forward Andrea Petagna from Serie A side SPAL. Leeds have reportedly offered £13.8 million but are being told he will cost closer to £23 million, which I'd guess is likely to put him outside our shopping range. At least it suggests that we are still active in the transfer market and that the need for goals is a concern.

I note we are being linked with a move for Italian centre-forward Andrea Petagna from Serie A side SPAL. Leeds have reportedly offered £13.8 million but are being told he will cost closer to £23 million, which I'd guess is likely to put him outside our shopping range. At least it suggests that we are still active in the transfer market and that the need for goals is a concern.

I predict "no chance"

I predict "no chance"

Maybe so, but like I said, it at least appears to show that there is recognition of a need to strengthen. The way things had been so quiet recently, I was afraid that the Club was satisfied with what was in place.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭purple hands

Do we even have that kind of cash? Yes there's the transfer income from Clarke and Jansson, but lots of FFP noise/scaremongering doing the rounds. Might be something to it though given the preference for loan deals.

Besides the lingering link to Ryan Kent (again doubtful unless Pool change their mind on a loan deal), I'd say we're probably done in the market. Small squad to be supplemented by the cream of the crop from the U-23s again it seems...

Do we even have that kind of cash? Yes there's the transfer income from Clarke and Jansson, but lots of FFP noise/scaremongering doing the rounds. Might be something to it though given the preference for loan deals.

Besides the lingering link to Ryan Kent (again doubtful unless Pool change their mind on a loan deal), I'd say we're probably done in the market. Small squad to be supplemented by the cream of the crop from the U-23s again it seems...

I suspect we will see a lot more of the u23s this season.

I think we're ok from a FPP point of view despite the talk of being tight. I think Radz and Bielsa are just very prudent with spending and need to be almost certain that the investment will hold it's value or go up a lot. Lots of inflated English players are risky buys and someone like Gayle (big wages, big loan fee) is a lot of money for no actual return unless he gets you promotion. Costa's purchase has been structured to spread the payments over a good long time and I'm sure any more deals would be done similarly so not all clubs will accept that.

Took this from some leeds site: "Looking at Whites accounts from the last three seasons, the club had a pre-tax loss of £8.9m in 2015/16, a £1m pre-tax profit in 2016/17, and a £4.3m pre-tax loss last season." We're allowed a loss of €39m oveer three years so well clear of that. Obv Radz would rather not make any loss at all as he's not a nutjob gambler.

We still have Philips and Bielsa. Serious talent in Costa and Hernandez. Possible great seasons in Clarke, Harrison, Bogusz, Shackleton, Douglas and Klich. Defence is a concern but I think it always will be with Bielsa's style anyway no matter who we put there. Strikers a concern too but just hoping that remedies itself like Chris Wood did. I'm buzzing for next week and dying to see us come out of the blocks firing!!

In other news..

Back of the away kit. Pink eh.

VNdDYf1.jpg

Low quality front view - https://i.imgur.com/0eBFntK.jpg

Shlippery wrote: »
    In other news..

Back of the away kit. Pink eh.

VNdDYf1.jpg

Low quality front view - https://i.imgur.com/0eBFntK.jpg

We've no strikers or central defenders , were wearing pink (i like it) Selling BPF for pittance .....

I really hope Orta and the boys have something big up their sleeves :eek:

And now BFP off to Burnley eh. Fair play to him, will he be first choice though...?

Hopefully Kiko gains a bit more reliability..very interested to see what happens in the next week.

SURELY they've plans..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

Shlippery wrote: »
    And now BFP off to Burnley eh. Fair play to him, will he be first choice though...?

Hopefully Kiko gains a bit more reliability..very interested to see what happens in the next week.

SURELY they've plans..

His backup to Pope according to a few on a Burnley fans forum.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭Carcharodon

We've no strikers or central defenders , were wearing pink (i like it) Selling BPF for pittance .....

I really hope Orta and the boys have something big up their sleeves :eek:

I think the BPF fee isn’t too bad to be honest for what I see as a very average keeper, he has potential but I saw too many flaws to think he would be really a long term option.
    We could definitely reinvest that money on somebody better in adore pressing position

I think the BPF fee isn’t too bad to be honest for what I see as a very average keeper, he has potential but I saw too many flaws to think he would be really a long term option.
    We could definitely reinvest that money on somebody better in adore pressing position

Agree with this totally. The concern though is that the close of the transfer window is approaching like an express train, so time is of the essence.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,294 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

We absolutely NEED a striker and centre back if we are to do anything this season but it's looking unlikely.

I have no idea why we are favourites for promotion.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭Ceist_Beag

Kingp35 wrote: »
    We absolutely NEED a striker and centre back if we are to do anything this season but it's looking unlikely.

Absolutely agree on the need for these two signings but it's looking highly unlikely at this point.

Obviously the bookies believe more in Bielsa being able to work his magic again.

If you look at it coldly it certainly is hard to see how we could be favourites. There is certainly some room for optimism but overall it's more in hope that Costa can be the player he once showed and that some of our younger players can make the grade, than in proven quality.

Cons
    We don't have the surprise factor any more although it could be said that this was overvalued somewhat - our main weapon last season was our workrate and this won't change or be devalued. If anything we would be stronger for having one season of Bielsa under our belt.
    We have lost a quality center back and not replaced him with someone of similar quality
    Pablo is a year older and cannot be relied upon to have the same impact this season as last
    We have really only brought in one new player to improve the squad - Costa. It was obvious last season that we were short on goal scorers and this has not been addressed.
    We are down a decent backup goalie and are not convinced by our first choice.

Pros
    As above, Costa is a good signing and hopefully can take some of the pressure off Pablo in terms of creativity.
    Roberts is a year older and the better for a good second half of the season under his belt. I'm hoping for continued improvement from him this season.
    Every day under Bielsa is a plus so having him continue can only improve the players we have.
    Some of the U23s can hopefully push for first team time.

• Advertisement

I think we're ok from a FPP point of view despite the talk of being tight. I think Radz and Bielsa are just very prudent with spending and need to be almost certain that the investment will hold it's value or go up a lot. Lots of inflated English players are risky buys and someone like Gayle (big wages, big loan fee) is a lot of money for no actual return unless he gets you promotion. Costa's purchase has been structured to spread the payments over a good long time and I'm sure any more deals would be done similarly so not all clubs will accept that.

Took this from some leeds site: "Looking at Whites accounts from the last three seasons, the club had a pre-tax loss of £8.9m in 2015/16, a £1m pre-tax profit in 2016/17, and a £4.3m pre-tax loss last season." We're allowed a loss of €39m oveer three years so well clear of that. Obv Radz would rather not make any loss at all as he's not a nutjob gambler.

We still have Philips and Bielsa. Serious talent in Costa and Hernandez. Possible great seasons in Clarke, Harrison, Bogusz, Shackleton, Douglas and Klich. Defence is a concern but I think it always will be with Bielsa's style anyway no matter who we put there. Strikers a concern too but just hoping that remedies itself like Chris Wood did. I'm buzzing for next week and dying to see us come out of the blocks firing!!

I hope the FFP concerns are overplayed alright...you just know the EFL would take disproportionate action against Leeds if there were any breaches :pac:

I see there's even been suggestions that the (apparent) financial prudence could also be Radz tidying things up a bit before a takeover (yeah right!)

Excited too though, have three trips planned (Swansea, Derby, Birmingham) already :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 416 ✭✭Wingman2010

Couldn’t agree more with the posts above. We big time need a striker we can rely on. We saw what happened last season when Roofe got injured. Bamford is just not clinical enough.

I would have thought we would have tried to get a goalkeeper in as well.

Kingp35 wrote: »

I think a striker would help but so far it's not looking likely, although Edmondosn might fit the bill. In the absence of one Costa, Harrison,Hernandez et al need to step up. Costa has proved he can score a lot of goals and must do the same this season.

I'm a little less concerned about the CB situation but it would be nice to get more cover. Even so there are a good half a dozen players who can step in and maybe this is why there doesn't seem to be any great effort in recruiting one.

I think the goal to shots ratio did a whole lot more damage to the promotion run than the defensive issues. I also think that a Bielsa team is not always going to be blessed with superb defence, set up as it is to attack. The experiment with formation will be intriguing and may turn out to be an extra weapon.

Couldn’t agree more with the posts above. We big time need a striker we can rely on. We saw what happened last season when Roofe got injured. Bamford is just not clinical enough.

I would have thought we would have tried to get a goalkeeper in as well.
    Still a week to go so could happen. I reckon a reliable goalscorer is more important.

Excited too though, have three trips planned (Swansea, Derby, Birmingham) already :)

Booked Derby myself. €30 one way and £30 back. Happy days. Got gold membership too for it if anyone needs to use it for any other games at any stage. I'll do 2-3 games this year max.

Had a baby boy 5 weeks ago and the name James was picked long ago. Still went with it, but if that bollix Huw Jenkins hadn't stepped in I'd be buying Dan James jerseys for years to come!!! Any ManU "James" jerseys coming our way will be burned on sight.

The one thing you have to say about Leeds and keepers is that the club has a great (or maybe that should be awful) record in selling keepers that go on to have fine careers, Seaman, Lukic, Robinson, Schmichael (who afair was sold because it was felt his distribution was poor)

Signed up for gold membership on 3rd July, but haven't received anything other than a confirmation e-mail. Was anyone else waiting a while for their membership details?

Zaph wrote: »
    Signed up for gold membership on 3rd July, but haven't received anything other than a confirmation e-mail. Was anyone else waiting a while for their membership details?

Not sure about this year as I haven't bought it yet but I recall past few years I signed up it took ages to get the details, but I think you should have a membership number already if you're logged in on the website?

Think I signed up in July before and twas end of August before the cards were sent out!

See some talk of Michael Frey of Fenerbahce, given that a move within Turkey seems to have fallen through.

https://footballleagueworld.co.uk/leeds-handed-potential-boost-in-reported-striker-chase/

See some talk of Michael Frey of Fenerbahce, given that a move within Turkey seems to have fallen through.

https://footballleagueworld.co.uk/leeds-handed-potential-boost-in-reported-striker-chase/

His goals to games ratio throughout his career is remarkably meh...

• Advertisement

His goals to games ratio throughout his career is remarkably meh...

Yes, agreed totally. The fact that this is the sort of player we seem to be linked with maybe gives a true insight into the strength of our position when wheeling and dealing in the transfer market.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,294 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

Kemar Roofe is rumoured to be in talks to transfer to Anderlect.

And talk of Roofe going again this morning, this time Anderlecht sniffing around. At this rate the sooner the bloody transfer window closes the better as there's more chance we'll be down further players than up!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

And talk of Roofe going again this morning, this time Anderlecht sniffing around. At this rate the sooner the bloody transfer window closes the better as there's more chance we'll be down further players than up!

Strange one, Anderlecht typically have a conver belt of talent...hand to imagine them paying him a huge chunk more than his on with Leeds

Hah...a timely and so very Leedsy reminder not to get too optimistic.

If he goes, have absolutely no faith he'll be replaced adequately.

This seems genuine according to Phil Hay ,

Dont know how to feel about it , i mean he's quite injury prone , so if we replaced him with similar quality i wouldn't mind i suppose , we'll probably end up with Ashley Fletcher though.

Really wish all this had happened a few weeks ago and not 6 days before the window closes :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,062 ✭✭✭davedanon

Yeah, we have to buy a striker now.

Don't we?

So according to Bielsa, Jansson was indeed sold because of FFP, interesting. Something tells me the wages Kiko is on must be contributing somewhat to this!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 416 ✭✭Wingman2010

A goalkeeper gone. Roofe maybe going. This is so bloody frustrating. If Roofe goes we need two strikers. We are still short on goalkeeping options. I would love to see us going for someone like Travers from Bournemouth on loan. Hopefully some new additions to the squad over the next few days!!

• Advertisement

If Phillips goes too we're completely bjolloxed...

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement