Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Leeds United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours 2020/2021

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,185 ✭✭✭championc

Interesting the way Nkeitah and Kent are essentially being played off against each other. After winning comfortably on Sunday, both players will be eager to sign up you'd think. So a reverse auction bidding war nicely setup I think. By all accounts, we could maybe stretch to both, one buy and one loan.

Interesting to see Shaughnessy refusing a transfer. He'd be needed if Phillips went.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭Carcharodon

Selling roofe is good business in my opinion, as long as we get someone in that is, definitely equal if not better players out there for that price or a loanee.
    Really can’t afford to lose Philips, would be a massive blow in my opinion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Selling roofe is good business in my opinion, as long as we get someone in that is, definitely equal if not better players out there for that price or a loanee.
    Really can’t afford to lose Philips, would be a massive blow in my opinion.
    Yeah, that's what it comes down to, business and a player pushing too hard with a year to go. With his departure it also frees up wages that can help cover whoever is coming in. The two main alternatives linked to certainly fit the bill of being equal or better despite their ages.

For me Roofe and Jansson were amongst the "first names on the team sheet" players. Maybe White will improve the defence, and I trust Bielsa to make that call. Maybe Bamford can step up to the mark as the striker, his cv is definitely impressive, and again Bielsa will have put far more thought into this than any of us. But I'd rather they were still on board, selling good players is always worrying.

In an ideal world but how much does a team want players who are "disruptive" or in Roofe's case apparently looking elsewhere? I've seen a freshness argument made about the team and these moves do facilitate that even if they don't seem immediately like the best outcome.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭Ceist_Beag

If Phillips goes I'd be very concerned that Bielsa would leave. I can't see him being happy to lose anyone else, never mind his best player. I doubt very much we'll be able to get both Nkeitah and Kent as I think we only have one loan position left and I doubt either Arsenal or Liverpool will want to sell them. It's looking more like Nkeitah at this stage. Can't say I know anything about the lad but it sounds like he's more of an out and out striker which is good as I think we have enough wingers.
    I'm curious about Shaughnessy. Bielsa doesn't seem to rate him so I'm not sure how involved he will be but I have to admit I liked what I saw before when he played for us.

I think Phillips wants to stay and Leeds really want to hang onto him. Kent is up for sale so that's how he'd be recruited. I read a rumour that the price will be under £10m now. Nkeitah is a special talent and would be an excellent deal IMO. I've seen him play a few times. Great speed and really didn't look out of place in an Arsenal side but still raw talent. I'm not sure about Shaughnessy. There's an ability in him but he's competing for two tough spots - defence and midfield. I reckon he'll get a run out in the Caribao and may end up bench warming when the inevitable injuries pile up. Long-term I think he'll be playing elsewhere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,207 ✭✭✭maximoose

Phil Hay said this morning that only Villa have been in for Phillips and they are nowhere near the valuation, expected to stay and new contract discussions start tomorrow :)

https://twitter.com/andyk1313/status/1159007953980219392?s=09

He has a live Q&A running on The Athletic this morning, recommend signing up for the free trial

https://theathletic.co.uk/1121497/2019/08/07/live-qa-transfer-deadline-day-eve-august-7-from-830am-bst-330am-et/

maximoose wrote: »
    Phil Hay said this morning that only Villa have been in for Phillips and they are nowhere near the valuation, expected to stay and new contract discussions start tomorrow :)

https://twitter.com/andyk1313/status/1159007953980219392?s=09

He has a live Q&A running on The Athletic this morning

In comparison to the players some teams have signed he's wildly expensive. My feeling all along is that this "interest" was purely for contract negotiations. Villa chanced their arm but obviously found better value elsewhere.

Illan Meslier coming on season long loan, Lorient and France U19 goalie. Apparently Chelsea were after him last season.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭Jimmy Two Times

From reading between the lines it looks like we are waiting for Nkeitah to make a decision on where he wants to go.

If it doesn't turn out to be us,then Kent is the fall back. Not ideal at all given the time constraints.

At this point we need some good news.

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭Jimmy Two Times

On an unrelated note, what did yiz think of Klich on Sunday ?

Seemed to be fairly anonymous in the first half, showed a little more in the second but when he was subbed, Bristol City seemed to take over in midfield.

Suppose it goes to show his importance to the system.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭blaa85

Ceist_Beag wrote: »
    Illan Meslier coming on season long loan, Lorient and France U19 goalie. Apparently Chelsea were after him last season.

I was reading that even though he is a loan, he can be included in the matchday squad without taking up one of the 5 places allowed. Couldn't make sense of the rule when I looked it up though. I'd imagine that's a big reason for getting him in.

"French goalkeeper Illan Meslier appears set to become the fifth loan signing of the summer - but under regulation 56.1 of the EFL rules which details international loans, he may be able to be included in a matchday squad without taking up one of the five places. This depends on the transferee club stating the specifics of the deal."

On an unrelated note, what did yiz think of Klich on Sunday ?

Seemed to be fairly anonymous in the first half, showed a little more in the second but when he was subbed, Bristol City seemed to take over in midfield.

Suppose it goes to show his importance to the system.

TBH I often watch him over the past 6 months or so wondering how he is starting every game! His passing is often poor and I don't see a whole lot in the way of positive contributions from him. But Bielsa clearly rates him so I've just accepted that it's me who can't see it rather than that he isn't doing much! :p

blaa85 wrote: »
    I was reading that even though he is a loan, he can be included in the matchday squad without taking up one of the 5 places allowed. Couldn't make sense of the rule when I looked it up though. I'd imagine that's a big reason for getting him in.

"French goalkeeper Illan Meslier appears set to become the fifth loan signing of the summer - but under regulation 56.1 of the EFL rules which details international loans, he may be able to be included in a matchday squad without taking up one of the five places. This depends on the transferee club stating the specifics of the deal."
    Foreign loanees are deemed permanent so they don't affect the quota.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,062 ✭✭✭davedanon

Klich scored 10 goals last season.

• Advertisement

davedanon wrote: »
    Klich scored 10 goals last season.

He did Dave, he also had 9 assists, that's why I said over the last 6 months. He started last season like a goal machine and was brilliant up until Christmas. However in the second half I didn't see a whole lot from him. Like I said though, I have a feeling the stats and what Bielsa sees in him will prove why he is a first choice every game.

I saw Nketiah score a really good striker's goal for the Arse recently. Thought it was Aubameyang at first. He could be dynamite in t'Championship.

I saw Nketiah score a really good striker's goal for the Arse recently. Thought it was Aubameyang at first. He could be dynamite in t'Championship.
    He's very raw and needs better finishing but loads of talent. A bit like someone who used to play for Leeds!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭stryker mcqueen

If football manager 2019 is anything to go by the lad will be a star !!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,261 ✭✭✭Shlippery

Refusing to believe the Eddie Nketiah stuff until there's a pic of him in the Leeds kit on the website.

WE'VE BEEN HURT BEFORE.

(And we got that young French fella too, so that's good at least.)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭wawaman

Shlippery wrote: »
    Refusing to believe the Eddie Nketiah stuff until there's a pic of him in the Leeds kit on the website.

WE'VE BEEN HURT BEFORE.

Look after Eddie for us lads ! He will do well for ye i think. Very raw but sharp in the box and stronger than he looks

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 5,015 Mod ✭✭✭✭GoldFour4

Shlippery wrote: »

WE'VE BEEN HURT BEFORE.

Fair!
    The French keeper looks decent. We’ve an option to buy too according to Graham Smyth.

Phil Hay on Twitter says Nketiah "on way north as we speak".

fingers crossed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭correction

Arsenal fan here to wish yourselves and Eddie luck. The kid is very talented and wouldn't surprise me one bit if he tore it up under Bielsa. There was serious interest from good Bundesliga clubs both this summer and last January so he is quite highly regarded.

Jaysus lads, I'm starting to get excited. Can't fecking wait for Forest on Saturday. Incidentally, we call them Notts Forest on another forum - just to rile the fans. Probably verboten around here, though.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 5,015 Mod ✭✭✭✭GoldFour4

Kalvins agent has confirmed he’s staying and that contract negotiations starting again soon

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭NuckChorris1

Bielsa talking openly about Eddie Nketiah, saying he's an Orta recommendation and would be of the reputation of Harry Wilson, Tammy Abraham, Jack Harrison last season. Don't think I'd have had Harrison in the same breath as the other two last season but anyway. Means it must be very close to sorted. Rumours of the two from Inter Milan still out there. Kent not happening it seems.

04j4yvV.png

Gradually gaining more confidence in it..

Nice one. Not sure it's a straight swap losing our top goalscorer last season and replacing with a promising young lad but hopefully he can fill the gap left by Roofe.

• Advertisement

aLLuqU1.png

now i'm happy. thanks new Phil!

Ceist_Beag wrote:
    Nice one. Not sure it's a straight swap losing our top goalscorer last season and replacing with a promising young lad but hopefully he can fill the gap left by Roofe.

Ah come on. Roofe scored 15 in all competitions, but Pablo got 12 and Klich 10. It's not like he scored half our goals or anything. I admit it's not a huge dataset, but from what I've seen of Nketiah he's easily good for 12-15 goals, depending on game time. If all goes well he and Bamford will get 30+ between them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,207 ✭✭✭maximoose

I feel good about Paddy this year. Goal last week hopefully plucked his confidence up, hope he keeps it up

He could be great and he could be the latest Sanchez Watt in the deals done with Arsenal file.

Sanchez is 28 and playing at Wealdstone...

Ah come on. Roofe scored 15 in all competitions, but Pablo got 12 and Klich 10. It's not like he scored half our goals or anything. I admit it's not a huge dataset, but from what I've seen of Nketiah he's easily good for 12-15 goals, depending on game time. If all goes well he and Bamford will get 30+ between them.

I'll be delighted if you're right Dave.

Ceist_Beag wrote:

Ceist_Beag wrote:

So will I!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,294 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

Seeing as it's now passed 5pm it looks like our dealings are done. What happened with Ryan Nolan?

Pretty solid and logical transfer window, another CB would of been good but it seems we got good quality in without spending anything really.
    Keeping Philips is great also, he seems to thrive under Bieslas system.

Keeping KP is huge. I was terrified of a late Villa bid.

• Advertisement

Apparently 25 players have been moved on or sold this summer. Didn't think it was quite so high.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭NuckChorris1

is_that_so wrote: »
    Apparently 25 players have been moved on or sold this summer. Didn't think it was quite so high.

Nearly all reserves. Jansson, Roofe, BPF, Saiz and Clarke are only ones that can be considered first team. White, Nketiah, Meslier, Costa and Clarke the direct replacements so not bad at all really. Even though all bar Costa are only for this season. I'd have kept Halme and Wilks for depth given the fees received couldn't be too big. Bielsa obv happy with it all though and that's what counts. Kept him and Phillips so we should be fine. Villa did all loans last year and are now spending >£100m in the Premiership. All about getting there and not going bust in the process.

Love getting up at 4:30 am to watch Leeds huff and puff.

The man's a magician <3

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,495 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Was gonna say Bamford has been getting close, having a very good game.

Then Pablo gets a beauty

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47,336 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

How Pablo didn't make the team of the season last year will remain one of life's great mysteries. He's one of the most outstanding players in the division.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47,336 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

F*ck :mad:

Opposition fans really are right when they sing, same old Leeds

Ah there is that old familiar feeling as a leeds fan .

Same old story as last season , hopefully Eddie can deliver because Lord bamford needs about 9 chances

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,024 ✭✭✭10000maniacs

Here we go. Rinse and repeat. Dominating games without any killer blow. It was the final pass that screwed us today. Dismal to watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,434 ✭✭✭Lamper.sffc

A good performance for the most part. Same problem from last year though. We need to be finishing teams off. If that game ended 3 or 4 nil nobody would of thought it would have been unfair on Forest

We should have had at least one pen if not more and there goal should have been disallowed for two different reasons from what I could tell. Foul in the build up and I thought the ball went in off his arm. A bit of revenge considering our equaliser last year I guess.

Decent enough start though against teams expected to challenge.

Looking forward to seeing some squad players get their chance against Salford and I presume Costa will start.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement