Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Leeds United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours 2020/2021

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭Carcharodon

As frustrating as it was, a lot of positives, just boils down to being clinical
    Costa looks like he will thrive this year, Pablo needs the help to add that bit of quality

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

As frustrating as it was, a lot of positives, just boils down to being clinical
    Costa looks like he will thrive this year, Pablo needs the help to add that bit of quality
    Yep. Some work to do on overall team defending but 4/6 is a decent start.

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47,336 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

All the club's dealings during the transfer window. Around £30m in transfer fees received and a load of wages off the books against a few loans and kids in, which makes Costa the only substantial purchase, and that's not happening for a year. I don't believe the club could have been anywhere close to breaching FFP rules based on those figures, unless they're paying massive wages to the players still at the club. I'm all for prudence, but it does on the face of it look like there could have been at least one more decent signing. Hopefully some of the funds will be made available should they be needed in January.

68750772_2411265269196917_4780195770340999168_n.jpg?_nc_cat=101&_nc_oc=AQkhLhT8w_AxUPKxA_09DRw-3RAp5Zi2V98ZADdodmdmUQMDf4V2rZgfx4eZ4OtqkuQ&_nc_ht=scontent-dub4-1.xx&oh=3121f8643d66aae70d304f359aa8a338&oe=5DA01923

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭iseegirls

Vernon Anita and Eunan O'Kane still at the club? Haven't heard from them in a long time.

There was some talk of Anita moving on a couple of weeks ago, but nothing came of it to the best of my knowledge. Didn't hear O'Kane's name mentioned even once over the summer, so presumably there was no interest in him at all.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 5,015 Mod ✭✭✭✭GoldFour4

Zaph wrote: »
    All the club's dealings during the transfer window. Around £30m in transfer fees received and a load of wages off the books against a few loans and kids in, which makes Costa the only substantial purchase, and that's not happening for a year. I don't believe the club could have been anywhere close to breaching FFP rules based on those figures, unless they're paying massive wages to the players still at the club. I'm all for prudence, but it does on the face of it look like there could have been at least one more decent signing. Hopefully some of the funds will be made available should they be needed in January.

68750772_2411265269196917_4780195770340999168_n.jpg?_nc_cat=101&_nc_oc=AQkhLhT8w_AxUPKxA_09DRw-3RAp5Zi2V98ZADdodmdmUQMDf4V2rZgfx4eZ4OtqkuQ&_nc_ht=scontent-dub4-1.xx&oh=3121f8643d66aae70d304f359aa8a338&oe=5DA01923

Phil Hay had an article in the athletic about this the other day. Apparently we had a loss of circa £15m in the last season. Small profit in the year before that. With the 3 year rolling FPL rules they needed to control it this year with sales and any new contracts. The Costa deal for example is only a loan this year with purchase at the start of next season for 15m. But that 15m will be split over a 4 year period so only a 3.75m a year hit.

The Birmingham points deduction last season really seems to have frightened the league. Looking at the summer business there hasn’t been the same quantum of big championship purchases like in other years.

Edit - in terms of wages that was mentioned too. Kiko is on 35k which is seen as being feasible for this year only unless we go up. Phillips and Roofe were the two big renewals and the club decided that KP is where they wanted to spend the money which is hard to disagree with.

On today’s game, frustrating and similar to the latter half of last season. Costa looks very lively and will have to be given more frequent game time. Looking forward to seeing what the young lad from Arsenal brings to the team. Seems to be a baller.

I really think this team could win automatic promotion, I don’t think Bamford is consistent enough or honestly good enough to be or main forward, I would play costa right behind him or something to that effect
    Defense is good enough for this level but any injuries and we will be in trouble

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭funnights74

Very frustrating to watch, loads of possession and far too few genuine chances. Bamford disappoints too many times, he's okay at give and go but fluffs too many chances in front of goal. And as all of last season there's no cutting edge up front, Hernandez as good as he is can't do it all by himself. The most worrying part is every time we conceded a corner we looked like conceding a goal, this won't t have gone unnoticed, and the current board seem determined not to invest big money by buying quality, another frustrating season ahead I suspect.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭Ceist_Beag

Agree with a lot of the points being made in regards to yesterday's game. We played well for the most part but disappointed in front of goal again. The miss by Bamford where the keeper came way off his line was a terrible miss, any decent striker would have finished that.
    One glaring weakness is from set pieces both offensively and defensively. Pontus was our man previously, I don't see White being able to replace him in that regard. We offered no threat from our many attacking set pieces and looked in real bother for the few Forest had.
    Still if we can get Costa or Eddie to finish off some of our attacks we'll be in a good position.

We're 2 games in. Last year, think Sheffield United lost their opening 2 games, and were trashed by Middlesbrough. There's a long long long long way to go yet.

• Advertisement

Ceist_Beag wrote: »
    Agree with a lot of the points being made in regards to yesterday's game. We played well for the most part but disappointed in front of goal again. The miss by Bamford where the keeper came way off his line was a terrible miss, any decent striker would have finished that.
    One glaring weakness is from set pieces both offensively and defensively. Pontus was our man previously, I don't see White being able to replace him in that regard. We offered no threat from our many attacking set pieces and looked in real bother for the few Forest had.
    Still if we can get Costa or Eddie to finish off some of our attacks we'll be in a good position.

Yea, it may be knit picking but that missed lob was really poor, compared to Pablo’s solid finish, is night and day difference in quality or maybe difference in confidence

We're 2 games in. Last year, think Sheffield United lost their opening 2 games, and were trashed by Middlesbrough. There's a long long long long way to go yet.
    Oh it's all pretty good and I don't think there's any great cause for concern but two things that caused problems last season are very obviously still there. Scoring ratio needs to be addressed ASAP.

Yea, it may be knit picking but that missed lob was really poor, compared to Pablo’s solid finish, is night and day difference in quality or maybe difference in confidence
    I think it was a poor miss as he had the keeper where he wanted him. He really needs to score those.

Hating Daniel James right about now, what could of been .

Hating Daniel James right about now, what could of been .

It's not even that he didn't sign for Leeds that hurts the most, but the fact that he signed for them. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 975 ✭✭✭J Cheever Loophole

Confidence is a big factor for Bamford and the more he misses the worse he seems to get. He was unlucky with a delicate effort with the outside of his left foot in the first half, that the keeper got a touch to. People talking about the missed lob, but the scissors kick effort that he mis-kicked on to the cross-bar really should have been buried.

I'm desperate to see him to do well, but I really have my doubts. How Nketiah performs is going to be huge for us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,207 ✭✭✭maximoose

Very frustrating match on Saturday

I don't think Bamford was particularly bad, if that lob had crept in it would have been a beauty. He had some half chances and was unlucky with both that and the one that hit the bar. He was ok but I think his confidence is an issue, looking forward to seeing Nketiah

How that isn't a penalty on Dallas I do not know.

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭Jimmy Two Times

Thing that frustrates me the most is the amount of times we get into good wide positions but only have one in the box to try and hit with the cross. Against Forest they had 3 or 4 lads lining up to head it away making it very difficult for Bamford to get near it.

Our central midfield players need to make a better effort to get up in support.

Still think we're playing well,controlling games and still optimistic about the season.

However, whoever said that we'd be in trouble from corners etc is bang on. Just look at the way teams like Cardiff and Milwall play.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭NuckChorris1

iseegirls wrote: »
    Vernon Anita and Eunan O'Kane still at the club? Haven't heard from them in a long time.
    Zaph wrote: »
    There was some talk of Anita moving on a couple of weeks ago, but nothing came of it to the best of my knowledge. Didn't hear O'Kane's name mentioned even once over the summer, so presumably there was no interest in him at all.

Heard O'Kane was staying with us whilst he recovers from broken leg he sustained playing for Luton last year. Anita was supposed to be going to Aris Thessaloniki in Greece. Transfer window still open in Europe so should still go somewhere.

• Advertisement

Heard O'Kane was staying with us whilst he recovers from broken leg he sustained playing for Luton last year. Anita was supposed to be going to Aris Thessaloniki in Greece. Transfer window still open in Europe so should still go somewhere.
    According to Transfermarkt O'Kane is just back from the horrible injury. Doubt he'd be going anywhere till January at the earliest. Still has 2 years on his contract but his career is definitely elsewhere.

Team for Salford game is looking a bit like this. Average age of about 12!:pac:

Meslier, Berardi, Alioski,Struijk,Gotts,Phillips, Shackleton, Bogusz, Costa, Clarke and Nketiah

Interesting to see Phillips named. Quite an attacking 11 that isn't it!
    Presumably it is Berardi and Struijk in the center of defense with Gotts RB and Alioski LB.
    Then Phillips, Bogusz and Shackleton in midfield with a front three of Costa, Eddie and Clarke?

I like the look of it myself. Why not do what PL teams do and get your more junior players out? Phillips I imagine is in to give a bit of spine and I'd say he won't play a full game. I think Eddie will play as a lone striker, good practice!

Nketiah gets off the mark, 1-0

Home to Stoke in the next round

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭Eggs For Dinner

Nketiah's goal is an example of what we have being missing. Timed run in to the box and a faster delivery in to him. Impressive. I was almost ready to praise Kiko for his saves, but he started to flap towards the end. That needs to be sorted and fast

I didn't get to see much of this. How did Costa play? From the little I saw (about 20 minutes of the second half) Phillips seemed to be pulling the strings and Eddie seems to have quite a turn of pace.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,294 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

I was impressed by Ben White's composure on the ball, he's definitely a Bielsa type of player. Kiko was flapping all over the place as usual, he nearly gave away a goal but Berardi cleared it off the line.

I know it was only Salford but I am feeling a little more comfortable with the depth of our squad having seem them play together last night.

Ben White has looked great so far this season yeah, bar a couple of slightly shakey moments against Forest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Fozzie Bear

Kingp35 wrote: »
    I was impressed by Ben White's composure on the ball, he's definitely a Bielsa type of player.

He has been really good, while keeping in mind its just 3 competative games so far. But none the less he is far quicker and a lot better with ball than Pontus was.

You could see a potentially struggling Brighton recall him from Loan in January if that form continues....

• Advertisement

Great article on the athletic today about the Nketiah loan deal

Crazy how competitive the loan market has become, Orta gave a full hour long presentation (as did reps from Bristol and Dusseldorf) about why Leeds would benefit Nketiah the most.

Really hope he has a good season to justify the money a loan!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭PabloAndRoy

maximoose wrote: »

Crazy how competitive the loan market has become, Orta gave a full hour long presentation (as did reps from Bristol and Dusseldorf) about why Leeds would benefit Nketiah the most.

Is it though? I found it quite repetitive and full of padding. All the info could be written in a few sentences.

maximoose wrote: »

Plus a bit humiliating to have to grovel to Arsenal.

If the player and Arsenal really think he'd learn more at whichever Bristol club was looking for him, send him there. I'd assume any player with ambitions of playing for a huge club and a great manager would know why Leeds United and Marcelo Bielsa might be useful.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭stryker mcqueen

Just signed up for a free 7 day Amazon video trial and about to binge this new documentary

• Registered Users Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭blaa85

4 episodes in. That James transfer saga was crazy. Didn't realise how close that was.

Has anyone used Lutv for any games this year? I'm wondering if it's any better then last year.

Very well made , facking heartbreaking still a couple of months on ....

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 5,015 Mod ✭✭✭✭GoldFour4

Only half way through but initial thoughts are that it’s excellent- have avoided any members of staff coming across as idiots like the Sunderland documentary

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,560 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Only half way through but initial thoughts are that it’s excellent- have avoided any members of staff coming across as idiots like the Sunderland documentary

Even Bamford?

Bamford is surprisingly articulate. Heard an interview he did last year about how Bielsa didn't just mould better players, but better people, and he came across as modest and intelligent.

God I love Victor Orta, the man is so passionate!

4 EPs in also, it's really well made and interesting new bits about spy gate and the James saga - felt really sorry for the kid he looked so nervous waiting and disappointed when it fell through.

Even though I know how it ends and how most matches go the way they keep the narrative going is great, really enjoying it.

Thank God they didn't go with the red in the away kit!

• Advertisement

Early red card for wigan...what could go wrong

And bamford puts us 1 up ....... Deja Vu anyone

Paddy B :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

We need to get another goal and put them to the sword

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,062 ✭✭✭davedanon

9 attempts, many of them inside the box, 2 on target and a struck post. Plus ça change.

Still, Paddy O'Bamford does have 2 goals already.

Oh God, I've just been reminded of what happened last year. that was the game when everything went sideways.

0-2! Bamford gets his second.

TOP OF THE LEAGUE.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭Eggs For Dinner

Bamford's goals will hardly make the shortlist for goal of the season, but they still had to be put away. However, he put in a huge shift today and covered every inch of the pitch. Well impressed. Still don't think Douglas offers much

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,495 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Nice to get another win. Hopefully Bamford can keep it up, when he gets going he can be great.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement