Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Leeds United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours 2020/2021

Comments

If anyone needs cheering up give the Manchester united thread a read, its bloody fantastic !

Events in Manchester are entertaining alright.

Imagine what Bielsa would do with those players. If clubs like ManU or Everton had any imagination you'd think they'd be queueing up. Granted Bielsa has his eccentricities, think of Pogba picking up litter. But he'd reorganise either club in the right way from the cleaning staff up, and even if he is not the most successful manager he'd have either playing the right way anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,024 ✭✭✭10000maniacs

If anyone needs cheering up give the Manchester united thread a read, its bloody fantastic !
    I supported Leeds through the 70s. United or City weren't the enemy to Leeds. Liverpool were. I hope their season blows up.

I supported Leeds through the 70s. United or City weren't the enemy to Leeds. Liverpool were. I hope their season blows up.

I have no great love for Liverpool, they screwed Leeds in the Kewell transfer when they obviously tapped him up and paid his agent more than Leeds. But the Kopp End gave Leeds a standing ovation when they won the title at Anfield in '69. Plus Shankly always said Revie was the best manager he faced, so I cut them a little slack.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Red card appeal won! Tom Bradshaw got no punishment as it didn't meet the standard of deception.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Keyzer

is_that_so wrote: »
    Red card appeal won! Tom Bradshaw got no punishment as it didn't meet the standard of deception.

Happy the card was rescinded, rightfully so.

Digusted that cheating piece of dung didn't get a three match ban. If Leeds win the appeal then clearly the opposing player cheated.

Digusting behaviour.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,207 ✭✭✭maximoose

Keyzer wrote: »
    If Leeds win the appeal then clearly the opposing player cheated.

From what I read the EFL didn't disagree with the penalty itself, just the red card. Ridiculous.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭purple hands

Yeah it's a total cop out, managed to cover themselves so, presumably, no action is taken against the referee either

• Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭stryker mcqueen

Whispers of arsenal unhappy with Eddies game time , can't say I blame them...hopefully just a whisper

Whispers of arsenal unhappy with Eddies game time , can't say I blame them...hopefully just a whisper

It's amusing that they know so little about Bielsa that they'd think he might change his philosophy to accommodate their plans for a player they deem unnecessary to their current requirements.

Rag gossip column in an international break, wouldn't be too worried about it but wouldn't like it to be true!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭NuckChorris1

Nothing will happen with Eddie until January anyway as no-one else would be able to sign him until then. I'm sure Lee Johnson has been on the journos anyway to stir up rumours. Loses his striker to injury and then makes comments about Eddie not getting the game time at Leeds that he would have at Bristol.

AR did an interview with the Time in UK stating that he has 3 parties interested in investing in Leeds - QSI, a US based Leeds fan and an Italian club owner. Mentioned casually that if QSI came on board it would be at a level to challenge Man City. Doesn't need to sell but understands the club can't always be losing money year on year but he doesn't think we need big investment until we get to the PL. In fairness, with the FPP restrictions, that part is true. Says that he's spent £90m to date and Bielsa and his coaches are on £6m a year.

17 Oct 1919 - 100 years on Thursday - rebirth. Didn't realise until recently that the great Herbert Chapman was at Leeds City at that time and got embroiled in the imbroglio that eventually sank them.

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭Jimmy Two Times

Happy 100th Birthday to Leeds United.

Been a fan for half that period and I'm sure, like most of us, have experienced every single emotion known to man during that time.

From elation to despair,from anger to fear to pride and all points in between.

Unless you're a Leeds fan you don't get it

This rest of this season will be no different.

MOT

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,062 ✭✭✭davedanon

48 years for me. Became football-aware in 1971, when I was 8 and started in playing the northside road-league at U-10 level. I missed the first title, and the whole Chelsea (spit) Cup thing. But I remember losing the title at the death in '72, and Sniffer's header in the Cup Final, like it was yesterday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Fozzie Bear

35 odd years for me. Born in Leeds and we lived on the Hill in Beeston over looking ER for my first few years before the parents moved back home to Ireland.

Probably 7 or 8 before I really got into it. I can tell you it was a rough ride being a Leeds supporter in rural Roscommon during my early years while everyone around me was almost exclusively a Scum or Liverpool fan and the very odd Gunners fan too. I have always had a soft spot for the Scousers from back then cos they hate the Scum just as much as we do.

It was bloody hard to follow Leeds back in the day too when we were an old second division team. Nothing in the papers about us, no internet or mobile phones so the BBC CEEFAX was the only way I could keep up with them on a Saturday afternoon and see where we were in the table. Always remember seeing the name Batty as a scorer one day and thinking it was such a weird surname.

But it was all worth it, no more so than when we won the League. God almighty I dined out on that for years afterwards with the Scum fans.

Anyways as the Roscommon supporters club says "The best is yet to come" so heres to the next 100 years of LUFC.

It was bloody hard to follow Leeds back in the day too when we were an old second division team. Nothing in the papers about us, no internet or mobile phones so the BBC CEEFAX was the only way I could keep up with them on a Saturday afternoon and see where we were in the table.

BBC Ceefax? You lucky thing! In South Kerry with RTE only we had no access to any information. Remember trying to pick up coverage of bigger matches on the car radio...but they ended in typical Leeds fashion, the extra time loss to Coventry in the FA Cup semi final and the collapse in the last few minutes against Charlton in the playoffs were stand out memories.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭Ceist_Beag

34 years for me. I was a massive John Sheridan fan, just loved how he played the game. I remember for the Wilko years I used to keep a chart on the bedroom wall detailing the fixtures, scorers, league position etc and getting to know players like Haddock, Rennie, Davison, Baird, Pearson, Snodin, loved them all.
    As you say Fozzie, it was bloody hard to get any details back then. I remember sitting out in the car trying to get a reception for BBC Radio 5 (the reception in the house was crap) and getting snippets (in between the reception coming and going).

Ceist_Beag wrote: »
    As you say Fozzie, it was bloody hard to get any details back then. I remember sitting out in the car trying to get a reception for BBC Radio 5 (the reception in the house was crap) and getting snippets (in between the reception coming and going).

Yep, it was just static. It was worse just after a goal because static is not unlike the noise of a crowd roar, so we had to wait for a while to figure out what happened.

https://twitter.com/GrahamSmyth/status/1184824367332708353

Plans to extend Elland Road to 50k capacity, promotion dependent

• Advertisement

I'm still in shock about Cantona being sold to United. From the highs of winning the 91/92 season, 14th the next year... Man it was tough.

Love this club though, can't wait to get back over in November.

Did someone post something about Batty scoring? Surely not. He never scored. Always remember that whenever he got the ball anywhere vaguely near the opposition goal, this ironic/affectionate cry of "shooooooooot" would ring out. Great times. And a great midfield. Batty, Strachan, McAllister, Speed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,669 ✭✭✭adaminho

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47,336 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

adaminho wrote: »

Reaction on Twitter has been decidedly mixed, in no small part due to the fact that they're charging £149 for it.

Ceist_Beag wrote: »
    34 years for me. I was a massive John Sheridan fan...

He really was a beacon of brilliance during some grim days, stayed at Leeds in the Second Division long after it became obvious to everyone that he belonged in the top flight. Was always pleased that, after years when he could not force his way into an Irish team, he had a great run as he turned 30 and became an important player for Charlton, a manager not known for his love of skillful midfielders...

Gala black tie event last night at Elland Road and Marcelo rocks up in his tracksuit :D:D:D:D

I Love this man !

• Advertisement

Gala black tie event last night at Elland Road and Marcelo rocks up in his tracksuit :D:D:D:D

I Love this man !

Saw that, zero fcuks given :D

Zaph wrote: »
    Reaction on Twitter has been decidedly mixed, in no small part due to the fact that they're charging £149 for it.

I actually really like it - but £149, only one size and only 1919 shirts being produced?

Pffffffft feck off

• Registered Users Posts: 2,261 ✭✭✭Shlippery

maximoose wrote: »
    I actually really like it - but £149, only one size and only 1919 shirts being produced?

Pffffffft feck off

(and they're sold out)

Shlippery wrote: »
    (and they're sold out)

I'm going to send it to my pal in China to see what they can do ;)

It's already up on dhgate. Saw a few cracking alternatives with the LUFC script instead of the badge...if that also pops up somewhere, would be very very interested!

Marcelo in the tracksuit is glorious, getting on with the job with great humility and probably embarrassed by the fuss. In contrast to Radz...fleecing people for the jersey and glitzy events, and then inserting himself into the celebrations with his name on the commemorative plaque, tweeting about HIS club, Eleven Sports brand in the legends portrait etc.

• Advertisement

Glory hunting fan since the league title or not long after it. Had no interest in soccer as a kid in the 80's and would just say I supported Liverpool if any lads asked. Started to take an interest when I was around 12/13 and that Batty/Speed/McAllister/Strachan midfield was incredible. Hard to think of a similar midfield since in England apart from arguably Scholes/Keane/Beckham/Giggs. Rod Wallace was and probably always will be my favourite player. Loved him so much and great to see him and Deane together again last night (pic attached). Kalvin Phillips could work his way to favourite one day the way he's going but Rod will be hard to top.

Not too happy, like a lot of fans, with the £200 dinner, £150 shirt only in one size, £500 canvas print and £2450 watch that the club were plugging for the centenary. I know we need to be profitable etc but it just feels like a PR/business thing rather than celebrating with the fans.

It's already up on dhgate.

That site any good? Delivery time of Jan 20th onwards is a bit off-putting!!!

That site any good? Delivery time of Jan 20th onwards is a bit off-putting!!!

Yeah I might have been lucky with the timing, but ordered the home kit in July and it arrived two and a half weeks later.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,294 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

I loved looking through all the photo's on Twitter etc of the past players at the gala last night. Brings back so many childhood memories.

How good to see the legendary Vinnie Jones smiling too, he's had a tough time of it of late.

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭Dub Ste

davedanon wrote: »
    Did someone post something about Batty scoring? Surely not. He never scored. Always remember that whenever he got the ball anywhere vaguely near the opposition goal, this ironic/affectionate cry of "shooooooooot" would ring out. Great times. And a great midfield. Batty, Strachan, McAllister, Speed.

He scored a couple.
    I was at Elland Road when he scored against Man City in 91.
    Place went mental, only time I've seen him score........fantastic player, would kill for someone like him now in midfield..

https://youtu.be/qVe3wSeTY8U

• Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

Dub Ste wrote: »
    He scored a couple.
    I was at Elland Road when he scored against Man City in 91.
    Place went mental, only time I've seen him score........fantastic player, would kill for someone like him now in midfield..

https://youtu.be/qVe3wSeTY8U

Think the English national side would kill for midfielder like Batty too

We needed that win, and great to see Kalvin getting the goal for the week that's in it. Massive crowd today, just under 36,000. Kinnear said during the week the club plans to expand the capacity to 50k if we go up. If that happens I'd say you'd be hard pushed to find any other ground in England that would have an atmosphere anywhere close to Elland Road.

Zaph wrote: »
    We needed that win, and great to see Kalvin getting the goal for the week that's in it. Massive crowd today, just under 36,000. Kinnear said during the week the club plans to expand the capacity to 50k if we go up. If that happens I'd say you'd be hard pushed to find any other ground in England that would have an atmosphere anywhere close to Elland Road.

That's assuming the crowd doesn't get gentrified and the noisy element priced out of the ground, a la most Prem clubs.

It had to be Kalvin with the winner, but a bit lucky that Lee Camp is such a woeful keeper.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭Carcharodon

davedanon wrote: »
    That's assuming the crowd doesn't get gentrified and the noisy element priced out of the ground, a la most Prem clubs.

A la nearly every sports team, just that way of the world really isn’t it, very sad, we will have to get there first though....

I am loving lutv, $5 for a game, can watch on the phone as well, times have change from the days of listening to Leeds on BBC radio all those years ago.

Yesterday was a typical Leeds performance, dominance in first half was ridiculous, we actually looked more likely scoring when Birmingham got back into the game. Another rollercoaster of a year coming up.

How have folk been sharing gold memberships for ticket buying purposes? I think Saturday was my last trip before Christmas...though I'll be keep an eye on Fulham away maybe ;)

I see Ryanair have also pushed back the time of the Saturday night flight from Leeds to 9:15pm from 9 November onwards. Just makes the day trip that little bit longer and less attractive.

How have folk been sharing gold memberships for ticket buying purposes? I think Saturday was my last trip before Christmas...though I'll be keep an eye on Fulham away maybe ;)

I see Ryanair have also pushed back the time of the Saturday night flight from Leeds to 9:15pm from 9 November onwards. Just makes the day trip that little bit longer and less attractive.

Ach sure its only an hour - grab a pint and some tucker before heading to the airport.

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭Jimmy Two Times

Keyzer wrote: »
    Ach sure its only an hour - grab a pint and some tucker before heading to the airport.

That flight's regularly delayed by 20 - 30 minutes anyway so not the end of the world.

My first trip to Deepdale tomorrow night.Hopefully we can build on Saturday and get a run going.

If we could somehow manage four wins in a row in this league and we'd open up a decent gap to 3rd I reckon with the way results are going so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,261 ✭✭✭Shlippery

https://twitter.com/LUFC/status/1186312936643416064

another day another kit.

$$$$$$$$

Pablo out with new injury - hamstring after playing for U23s. No date of return.

Not good, we're really missing him. I was hoping Costa could take up more of a playmaker role in his absence, or that Roberts could come back into the mix but neither has happened yet and we're really lacking creativity as a result. One thing I haven't seen confirmed on this thread - has Clarke gone back to Spurs? There hasn't been any sign of him this season and there was talk I think of the loan being cut short.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭iseegirls

Clarke was on the bench on Saturday. Not looking good for him really. I thought he was hauled off at half time in our league Cup loss last month, so it doesn't look great for him. Think we did a good deal to get the money for him at the time.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,294 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

iseegirls wrote: »
    Clarke was on the bench on Saturday. Not looking good for him really. I thought he was hauled off at half time in our league Cup loss last month, so it doesn't look great for him. Think we did a good deal to get the money for him at the time.

I said it at the time, I think he's hugely overrated. Can't see him featuring at all for us this season.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement