Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Leeds United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours 2020/2021

Comments

davedanon wrote: »
    Well, Bamford's injured so Eddie might be about to get a run of games, which was the only issue.

Dead leg, should be back for WBA game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,896 ✭✭✭Hijpo

Why sky decided it would be better to show EFL cup frickin highlights and hide important live league games behind the red button is beyond me. Managed to catch the highlights today at 3.

For me, we were strong and played well. Birmingham had big hearts at home and capitalised on three poor decisions between midfield and Casilla.

First goal, Nketiah was tracking back. Harrison and Alioski just had to track the runners and cooper to hold. For some reason, Alioski and Harrison decided to close the man NKetiah was tracking and cooper followed his man out to midfield.
    We ended up with Cooper, Harrison and Alioski out of the game with only White and Ayling playing centre half while Harrisons man and Alioskis trotted forward creating a 3 on 2.
    Second goal Casilla should have taken everyone and everything to punch that ball back into the 6 yard box.
    Third goal, huge gap between casilla in the 6 yard box and the defense lined up on the 18 yard line. Big invitation to put the ball in the space together with the quality ball in but should have been set up better to deal with it. Maybe somewhere closer to the penalty spot?
    Fourth goal just looked like heavy legs.

Again, this time last year we would have lost that one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭NuckChorris1

Eddie going back to arsenal and then out on loan elsewhere. Confirmed by a few decent journo sources. Replacement will be interesting!! Not known if he's around for WBA game but Paddy should be back anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,207 ✭✭✭maximoose

Che Adams apparently our preferred replacement.

Shame it didn't work out for Eddie but not too bothered. He looked promising alright but we far too often completely lost our shape and looked vulnerable when he came on for Bamford. He was unlucky to get injured just when he was about to get a run of games and then Bamford started scoring again, wouldn't have changed anything

Getting antsy about WBA game now, feel it will be a hammering but I can't tell for which side :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Having watched Eddie recently he seems in too much of a rush for success without putting in the work. He's got bags of talent but is very very raw. Be nice if he stayed around, knowing the system and all that but Bamford gives more to the team. Pity, as rumoured, he's going back but you move on past these things.

• Advertisement

maximoose wrote: »
    Che Adams apparently our preferred replacement.

Shame it didn't work out for Eddie but not too bothered. He looked promising alright but we far too often completely lost our shape and looked vulnerable when he came on for Bamford. He was unlucky to get injured just when he was about to get a run of games and then Bamford started scoring again, wouldn't have changed anything

Getting antsy about WBA game now, feel it will be a hammering but I can't tell for which side :pac:
    WBA's form hasn't been great of late and Adams, for now, is just a player with a pulse not getting his game!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,495 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

That didnt take long

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,294 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

Woeful defending

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47,336 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Awful punch from Casilla

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,070 ✭✭✭✭event

Nothing from Nketiah here. Get Bamford on

• Advertisement

event wrote: »
    Nothing from Nketiah here. Get Bamford on

Itll happen at HT I'd say. He clearly doesn't want to get injured

• Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

Young Eddie is quiet the coward...running away from any sort of challenge...Seems to be an issue with younger gunners, no guts

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭NuckChorris1

Bamford on for Eddie. C'mon!!!!!!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,294 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

Complete fluke. Lovely!

Deserve to be level tbh.

Send Eddie back and get Che Adams instead, I'd be very confident then.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 5,015 Mod ✭✭✭✭GoldFour4

Yeah that game was perfect evidence of why Bielsa has Bamford in there, completely changed the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭purple hands

That'll do. Maybe shaded it in second half, but would take a few more draws away to the top 6 teams tbh.

Let's not forget the misery of WBA away last year.

Paddy with a great performance leading the line in second half, in contrast to Eddie. In fairness though, they've two massive CBs and Paddy is more physical and experienced. Glad he's fit again.

Happy with the performance anyway, that's a big boost. Would gladly rest some players Monday, 2 of next 3 games are against teams in playoffs

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 5,015 Mod ✭✭✭✭GoldFour4

Confirmed Eddie is going back by Bielsa

• Advertisement

Bielsa confirms worst kept secret that Eddie is gone. January window should be interesting now. How much ambition is there...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭stryker mcqueen

Bamford superb, great second half..... But

Square it paddy!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,062 ✭✭✭davedanon

Yeah, there was room for it, and would have been a tap-in.

A striker with confidence was never doing anything else but shoot. Annoying stuff

Bielsa confirms worst kept secret that Eddie is gone. January window should be interesting now. How much ambition is there...

Gonna be hard to convince any striker to come to us tbh. They will know they will be 2nd choice and not play a whole lot

That might not be unattractive. They'll get to learn from Bielsa and play in front of 35,000 plus when they get their chance. I think Leeds would be more appealing than, say, the pressure of going to a club and being tasked with the job of keeping them up.

Nice to see Bilic and Bielsa at the end of the match...
    Bilic - 'Bielsa is Bielsa and to compete with him is a great privilege.’
    Bielsa - 'We respect him. He’s now a great manager, when you compete with someone like him it’s very satisfactory - even if you win or lose.'

That might not be unattractive. They'll get to learn from Bielsa and play in front of 35,000 plus when they get their chance. I think Leeds would be more appealing than, say, the pressure of going to a club and being tasked with the job of keeping them up.

Footballers care about playing is all. Adams might not want to swap the bench at Southampton for the bench at Leeds.
    Nketia started 2/3 games for Leeds and one was cos of injury. I know he was injured himself but its not loads of opportunities.

I think we will sign someone late in the window

Thinking further about this, and having had the opportunity to see what happens when Bamford doesn't start, I'm having second thoughts about his role. We can all see what he brings to the team, apart from his goals. WBA's centre halves (wish we had Bartley back) were immense until he came on; everything that came into the box went straight back out again. Not Eddie's fault at all, but it's just not his game to play like Bamford. I'm now thinking that, rather than expecting Patrick to score 30 goals a season, our midfielders and other forwards should be stepping up and contributing more goals. Great game, and a good result. Does anyone care about winning The Championship? It's less important even than the Carabao. All that matters is widening that gap between us two and the rest.

• Advertisement

Does anyone care about winning The Championship?

Not one bit. All about that gap to third now

Decent match, unlucky in the end not to get the 3 points but I don't blame Bamford for taking the shot.

Heading to Sheff Wed match next weekend, can't wait

Arsenal game live on Beeb 1. would love to see us putting out the first XI and see how we get on against them, but realistically we should be resting players.

Arsenal game live on Beeb 1. would love to see us putting out the first XI and see how we get on against them, but realistically we should be resting players.
    I think it's an opportunity for the 1st team to test themselves. While Arsenal may currently be flaky they are a decent quality Premiership team and it's the level you want to compete at plus it's the FA Cup.

I think we'll see Arsenal rotate a fair bit too while Arteta looks at his options

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭iseegirls

Even looking at our bench last night - do we even have players to bring in that would give players a rest? We had the option to bring on a 3rd sub last night - but Bielsa didn't use it, even though some players like Costa seemed bet.

maximoose wrote: »
    I think we'll see Arsenal rotate a fair bit too while Arteta looks at his options
    Yeah, he may choose to forego the distraction of an FA Cup run, despite the feel good factor for fans, in favour of nailing down a more effective first team.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,024 ✭✭✭10000maniacs

I think we should do well against the Arsenal.
    It will be a pre-test for next season if we go up. These were the sides we were beating for fun when we last went up in 1990.
    Those were amazing times. First season back we were third, The next we won the league.
    Maye I am getting carried away. LOL.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 621 ✭✭✭Slim Charles

It will be a pre-test for next season if we go up. These were the sides we were beating for fun when we last went up in 1990.
    Those were amazing times. First season back we were third, The next we won the league.

Fourth I think ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,024 ✭✭✭10000maniacs

Fourth I think ?
    We collapsed a bit in the last few games. But we done well anyway that season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭Mezcita

Actually think that we will put out a reserve side against Arsenal. We did something similar last year against QPR in the cup.

Mezcita wrote: »
    Actually think that we will put out a reserve side against Arsenal. We did something similar last year against QPR in the cup.

Yep think so too. There's an under 23's game on Sunday, should give us an idea of who's potentially in the mix for Monday. Maybe Meslier in particular will get a run out, ahead of Kiko's ban.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,185 ✭✭✭championc

Yep think so too. There's an under 23's game on Sunday, should give us an idea of who's potentially in the mix for Monday. Maybe Meslier in particular will get a run out, ahead of Kiko's ban.

Oouch - 23's playing on Sunday !!! Apart from the first 17 (if all fit) (includes Shackleton), any others are 23's.

Only 20 players listed on the website, and the 20 includes Meslier, Leif Davis and Jordan Stevens

http://www.leedsunited.com/teams/first-team

One of the stand out memories. Leeds first game after going up. Away to one of the biggest forces in English football, Everton. A club that had won lots of silverware over the previous 6 or 7 years. Leeds with no idea of how they might fare in the top flight. Waiting by the radio for news, to hear that Leeds were 3 up, at Goodison, and handing out a beating so bad that the great Neville Southall sat down in protest...

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-6766755/MATCH-DAY-Kepas-mutiny-came-Southalls-sit-in.html

Jesus, put the kids out Monday. I'd withdraw if we could. Means nothing

• Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭stryker mcqueen

I'd go full strength..... A scalp like arsenal would do more good than bad imo

I'm just thinking of the break. Win this and yeah, it gives a lift. Imagine we get city next round and get beat 5 nil.
    And if we do win, it's another game to be played. The Millwall game has to be refixed. We have 7 games in February as it is.

Wigan 01/02
    Forest 08/02
    Brentford 11/02
    Bristol 15/02
    Reading 22/02
    Boro 26/02
    Hull 29/02

The next time we get a break is March really. I would rather the lads get downtime then then have to play a back fixture.

If West Brom lose this weekend they will be on schedule and we could be constantly playing catchup. That's very tough mentally, always behind.

When we aren't in the running for promotion, the cup runs are good. But at the end of the day, promotion is our only goal this year. Everything else is just noise and will get in the way imo

• Registered Users Posts: 6,185 ✭✭✭championc

event wrote: »
    Jesus, put the kids out Monday. I'd withdraw if we could. Means nothing

On the basis of our squad, and the 23's playing tomorrow, which kids do you think are available to play ?

In many cases, Cup games are used to test younger players, to see how they cope with being watched by several thousand expectant fans, and not for the purpose of resting senior players. Let's face it, they don't play again until next week.

So I would personally expect the normal 1st team squad, although Gotts should get a runout and you'd maybe expect Meslier too.

Wanting the kids to play has nothing to do with the fact that I have flights booked for Millwall :p

Wanting the kids to play has nothing to do with the fact that I have flights booked for Millwall :p

Millwall will likely beat Newport though

In all the decades I've followed football I've had one firm belief, you pick a team to win every game, you maintain momentum, you never relegate any competition to being irrelevant.

But I just don't know about this one. Everyone remembers that the win at Old Trafford didn't prevent promotion that season. But think the margins are finer this season, maybe Bielsa's final season, the best chance of promotion, the money for a cup run so needed back then (I remember welcoming a draw with Spurs as generating enough funds to make a signing) is not as crucial now etc. I hate to say it, but I'd probably take a creditable loss.

Mushy wrote: »
    Millwall will likely beat Newport though

L2 team, haven't won since November. Makings of an upset!

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement