Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Leeds United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours 2020/2021

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭Always Be Closing

Absolute farce this

Anything to derail our season

First Kiko, now this

• Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭stryker mcqueen

Amazing how quickly this escalated, I was in Elland Road last Saturday and everyone was still in the "no handshakes are they having a laugh" stage......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭Eggs For Dinner

Leeds to be relegated and fined £5m for causing the Corona Virus (on the balance of probabilities)

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47,336 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Amazing how quickly this escalated, I was in Elland Road last Saturday and everyone was still in the "no handshakes are they having a laugh" stage......

And yet the UK government aren't taking it as seriously as (most of) the sporting authorities and still haven't banned large assemblies of people. The fact that they let Cheltenham go ahead is possibly the most irresponsible thing that any government has done in a long time.

Absolute farce this

First Kiko, now this

The lengths you will go to to defend Casilla's disgusting racist abuse of an opponent...
    If you don’t think it’s s conspiracy you don’t know your Leeds United history
    ****ing kangaroo court, night before a game

Still nothing on points deductions for Wednesday or Derby

C*nts will do anything to derail us

Get a grip.

Our keeper called an opponent a "f****** n*****". Do you not accept the findings or do you think the comment was grand? Let's not excuse or downplay it by some ridiculous hints at conspiracies and the coronavirus, it's not all a ploy to screw Leeds United.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,070 ✭✭✭✭event

Absolute farce this

First Kiko, now this

The FA created the Coronavirus just to stop Leeds getting promoted.
    Damn them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,023 ✭✭✭10000maniacs

I see the Corona situation as being 10 times worse in the UK on April 3rd. Its sad for Leeds, WBA and Liverpool but I fear the season is going to be declared null and void.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭Carcharodon

I see the Corona situation as being 10 times worse in the UK on April 3rd. Its sad for Leeds, WBA and Liverpool but I fear the season is going to be declared null and void.

That would be absolutely mental but I wouldn’t put it beyond them
    There will be around five months until the new season starts, all they have to do is play 9 games or so in that time, behind closed doors if needed, it’s pretty simple
    You just have to finish season, null and void isn’t fair, cutting it short and going with standings as is isn’t fair.
    Just finish the season, although Liverpool not winning the League would make me smile

I don't know the answer. But I imagine if they declare it null and void that us, west Brom and Fulham would go to court over it, as well as same in league 1 and 2

That would be absolutely mental but I wouldn’t put it beyond them
    There will be around five months until the new season starts, all they have to do is play 9 games or so in that time, behind closed doors if needed, it’s pretty simple
    You just have to finish season, null and void isn’t fair, cutting it short and going with standings as is isn’t fair.
    Just finish the season, although Liverpool not winning the League would make me smile

I was talking to a Liverpool fan and he said there is a 35 game rule for the EFL, so Leeds and WBA go up even if no more games are played. I hope he's right.

• Advertisement

I was talking to a Liverpool fan and he said there is a 35 game rule for the EFL, so Leeds and WBA go up even if no more games are played. I hope he's right.

I've just had a look at the EFL regulations and I can't see anything about that at all. In fact I couldn't find anything relating to the premature ending of a season. That said, there are a lot of rules and I only took a fairly quick look, so I could easily have missed something.

Zaph wrote: »
    I've just had a look at the EFL regulations and I can't see anything about that at all. In fact I couldn't find anything relating to the premature ending of a season. That said, there are a lot of rules and I only took a fairly quick look, so I could easily have missed something.

Its actually called the 75% rule in the FA Handbook. Section 22. "Determining Championship"
    75% is actually 35 games in the Championship. I think all teams have met that 75% quota.

(D) In the event of a Team withdrawing from the Competition before completing 75% of its
    fixtures for the Playing Season all points obtained by or recorded against such defaulting Team
    shall be expunged from the Competition table. For the purposes of this Rule 22(D) a completed
    fixture shall include any Competition Match(es) which has been awarded by the Management
    Committee.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Keyzer

The UK situation is going to go nuclear in the coming days/weeks - their approach to this situation is beyond farcical.

That said, I can't see them writing the season off. Its an extraordinary time but I would expect them to end the season as it stands now - its going to be sh1tty for teams in relegation zones but there's not a lot of options.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭NuckChorris1

Looks like we'll definitely have the remaining games all played, and possibly in 25 degree July sun with a super-fit Jean-Kevin Augustin. All is good in the world... kinda.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

EFL stepping up on the money side of things.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/51951389

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭iseegirls

Last night, we should have been beating Fulham to move ever closer to the Premier League.. :mad:

It feels like such a long time since I've seen them play - just in terms of everything that has happened since our last game.

Its ok lads. I have started managing us on FM and we are 5 points clear, in flying form.

One good thing to come from all of this is I expect Poveda and Augustin to be up to Bielsa's required fitness levels when all is said and done.

Double murderball sessions

• Registered Users Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭purple hands

event wrote: »
    Its ok lads. I have started managing us on FM and we are 5 points clear, in flying form.

I have also confirmed from hours of tireless research* that JKA needs to start

*Fifa 20

• Advertisement

One good thing to come from all of this is I expect Poveda and Augustin to be up to Bielsa's required fitness levels when all is said and done.

Double murderball sessions

Training is suspended so they need to be doing it at home

Training is suspended so they need to be doing it at home

I saw something saying they'd all been given personalised training plans for home.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,495 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Zaph wrote: »
    I saw something saying they'd all been given personalised training plans for home.

Yeah saw on Instagram that they got spinning bikes. Jack Harrison put up a speed up version of the whole workout...wouldn't be for me

They could probably not leave their sofa's for a month and still be fitter than 99% of the teams in the Championship

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,207 ✭✭✭maximoose

Membership renewals are available online today for next season

I know there's a lot more serious things to be worried about at the minute, but christ I'm missing football.

maximoose wrote: »
    Membership renewals are available online today for next season

I know there's a lot more serious things to be worried about at the minute, but christ I'm missing football.

How misguided do they have to be to announce this? People losing work all over the place, no sign of this season ending so no point saying this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭Jimmy Two Times

Mushy wrote: »
    How misguided do they have to be to announce this? People losing work all over the place, no sign of this season ending so no point saying this.

Club also has bills to bay. Must be seriously suffering over loss of match day income etc.

Potential losses on tickets only if matches do need to be played behind closed doors ( excluding season ticket refunds ) would be approx £ 1.8 Million.

Club also has bills to bay. Must be seriously suffering over loss of match day income etc.

Potential losses on tickets only if matches do need to be played behind closed doors ( excluding season ticket refunds ) would be approx £ 1.8 Million.

They do, but when theres so much uncertainty around when the season will begin, it should be held off

• Registered Users Posts: 2,261 ✭✭✭Shlippery

Interestingly not opening to new applicants, renewals only! Still didn't get to fecking use mine aside from the singing bottle opener!

The problem with renewing the membership is who knows when there'll be football again? Conceivably the whole of next season could be wiped out, or at least played behind closed doors, so what use is buying membership for it now?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭Eggs For Dinner

Sky Sports Football are showing 6 hours of Leeds games at the minute

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,062 ✭✭✭davedanon

Sky Sports Football are showing 6 hours of Leeds games at the minute

Don't have

I did watch all our goals from the season so far on youtube yesterday though. Jaysus we've scored some crackers, and played some great football.

Ayling will get GOTS but Roberts 1st against Hull for me

What a f*cking move

TOTAL football

• Registered Users Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭blaa85

MNF with Neville and Carragher are showing the Leeds win v Liverpool from 2000 at 8pm tonight!

Just in case anyone didn't know, if you have sky sports, go on the website and there is an option to pause your sports sub. You will still get sky sports for free until the football starts back up.

Sometimes, just sometimes, a football club does something remarkable beyond kicking a ball around a pitch. I'm guessing it's the Bielsa effect...

https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/soccer/english-soccer/leeds-players-to-defer-wages-to-ensure-club-s-staff-are-paid-1.4212849

Leeds’ players, management and senior staff have volunteered to defer their wages for the foreseeable future.

The Championship leaders — seven points clear of third with nine games to play when the season was halted by the coronavirus pandemic — say they have made the move so that all non-football staff can be paid during the sport’s shutdown.

Director of football Victor Orta said that his players and head coach Marcelo Bielsa had “demonstrated an incredible sense of unity and togetherness” in making the offer, at a time when the club is losing “several millions of pounds a month”.

In a statement entitled ‘Side Before Self, Every Time’, Leeds’ first-team squad said: “Leeds United is a family, this is the culture that has been created by everyone at the club, from the players and the board to the staff and the supporters in the stands.

I cant see the season being finished now tbh guys. The numbers coming out of the UK, we are months and months away from having BCD, never mind full stadiums. You would still have fans congregating at a stadium if we were going to get promoted etc. The FA have already cancelled some seasons below the football league. One team had won every single game and were mathematically promoted but all results expunged so its tough.

Just cant see how they could proceed with contracts expiring etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭PabloAndRoy

I cant see the season being finished now tbh guys. The numbers coming out of the UK, we are months and months away from having BCD, never mind full stadiums. You would still have fans congregating at a stadium if we were going to get promoted etc. The FA have already cancelled some seasons below the football league. One team had won every single game and were mathematically promoted but all results expunged so its tough.

Just cant see how they could proceed with contracts expiring etc

Please go elsewhere with your reasonable thoughts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,207 ✭✭✭maximoose

A nice explainer on the cancelled leagues I saw on Reddit:
    Some context to this -

This is relevant to clubs below the National League and National League North/South, for now at least. That's the Northern Leagues, Southern Leagues and Isthmian Leagues and their respective feeder divisions. The clubs affected wanted the season cancelled and records expunged, the leagues that come under the Southern League's jurisdiction, at least, were unanimous in wanting the season voided. This clearly won't be the case for the Championship.

The vast majority of clubs at these levels live week to week through matchday revenue with some sponsorship money paid for the year and couldn't afford to run indefinitely without matches being played, they needed a resolution to come quickly and this way player contracts will come to an end now meaning clubs will be able to survive until next season starts, whenever that will be. Again, not a position Championship clubs are expected to be in yet. The fact the top leagues in the National League system are unaffected means that relegation from League Two is unaffected so there's no knock-on from this to the EFL.

What I'm saying is that basically, this alone doesn't make it more likely that the Championship season will be voided as life at this level of football is so different to that at Championship level that the EFL can't use the same factors to make a decision on what happens to the Championship season.

That said, I am becoming more pessimistic every day this goes on

Tomorrow at 12pm BBC1's Football Focus is a special on Leeds Centenerary Season, might be worth a watch

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭Carcharodon

This season could come to an ominous end the way things are going, would be very unfortunate but iam a lot more at ease with it considering how things are playing out on a broader scale
    Hopefully things can still be salvaged, best option finish season behind closed doors, second best option for us, finish season as is (extremely unlikely), most realistic option, scrap season as there doesn’t seem to be a realistic end date right now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭Dots1982

Setting a quiz, the last Irish Senior international player to Play for Leeds is Euan O’Kane, correct?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭iseegirls

Dots1982 wrote: »
    Setting a quiz, the last Irish Senior international player to Play for Leeds is Euan O’Kane, correct?

Yep looks like it. We've really chosen some awful Irish players over the years. Paul Green, Noel Hunt, Darren O'Dea, Paddy Kenny, Andy O'Brien. Nothing comes close to Keane, Harte, Kelly, McPhail with O'Leary at the helm.

Dots1982 wrote: »

Yes. Though Conor O'Shaugnessy is most recent Irish player

iseegirls wrote: »
    Yep looks like it. We've really chosen some awful Irish players over the years. Paul Green, Noel Hunt, Darren O'Dea, Paddy Kenny, Andy O'Brien. Nothing comes close to Keane, Harte, Kelly, McPhail with O'Leary at the helm.

Totally forgot that O'Dea played for us.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭Dots1982

Yes. Though Conor O'Shaugnessy is most recent Irish player

Thanks but no caps so he’s discounted on the quiz question.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭Ceist_Beag

I know it's still only March (just about!) so there is plenty of time yet, especially with the Euros being postponed for a year, however there is little chance of anything starting up again any time soon.
    I see there is talk that the Premiership may be concluded in a tournament type fashion, with matches being played off behind closed doors in quick succession. I wonder would the same be an option for the Championship? It would mean the remaining games could be played in a fraction of the time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭NuckChorris1

Ceist_Beag wrote: »
    I know it's still only March (just about!) so there is plenty of time yet, especially with the Euros being postponed for a year, however there is little chance of anything starting up again any time soon.
    I see there is talk that the Premiership may be concluded in a tournament type fashion, with matches being played off behind closed doors in quick succession. I wonder would the same be an option for the Championship? It would mean the remaining games could be played in a fraction of the time.

Would have to be an option and would get big interest in TV if the games had to be behind closed doors. Prefer it to void season and the longer it goes on the more concerned we’ll be that something stupid like that might happen.

For anyone with the Athletic, great piece today about the 2 lads in istanbul. 20 years ago :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭purple hands

For some light relief, The Square Ball lads are currently live streaming themselves playing the minus 15 points season on championship manager

https://twitter.com/TheSquareBall/status/1246361945386577920?s=09

• Advertisement

Best suggestion I've heard so far

When everything improves, finish out this season over the 8/9 game weeks of whatever was left this season up til the end of this calendar year

Play 20-21 season from March - November (Players will still have their 3 month break and the transfer window) next year & roughly same for following season - then 2022 World Cup in December

That World Cup was going to disrupt the season anyway so effectively a trial run

Everybody wins

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement