If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Music Streamer / CD Player

Options
  • 08-06-2017 1:15am
    Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭

Hi
    I would appreciate your advice / opinion if possible on the following 

My current Hi Fi system consists of an Arcam A29 amp (bought from yourselves ) and Arcam Alpha 7 CD player that is at this stage very old and I was looking at replacing it - I have a lot of CDs which are taking up too much space and I have saved them to a portable hard drive as FLAC Files - I have recently looked into the area of streaming etc  and bought the Raumfeld Connector to try it out and was pleased with the results 

I have done loads of research and at this stage but am totally confused but have narrowed it down to the following options 

A. Buy the Marantz CD 6006 and the PIONEERN30AE or 
    B. Buy the ARCAMCDS27 or
    C. Buy the CAMBRIDGECXN

From reviews etc I think the Cambridge CXN is a bit of overkill for what I need - My plan is always to save my CDS as FLAC files to a portable hard disk - So the plan would be to attach the hard drive via one of the above options and use the app via wifi to select the music I want to listen to in the same room- I have good wifi and would also like to be able to stream Spotify

I don't need to have multi room access etc as I have a very good home cinema system which I bought from yourselves

At the moment I am leaning to option A - Is this a good choice 

Many thanks  

Comments

• Company Representative Posts: 17,282 ✭✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: Kenny

barsan wrote: »
    Hi
    I would appreciate your advice / opinion if possible on the following 

My current Hi Fi system consists of an Arcam A29 amp (bought from yourselves ) and Arcam Alpha 7 CD player that is at this stage very old and I was looking at replacing it - I have a lot of CDs which are taking up too much space and I have saved them to a portable hard drive as FLAC Files - I have recently looked into the area of streaming etc  and bought the Raumfeld Connector to try it out and was pleased with the results 

I have done loads of research and at this stage but am totally confused but have narrowed it down to the following options 

A. Buy the Marantz CD 6006 and the PIONEERN30AE or 
    B. Buy the ARCAMCDS27 or
    C. Buy the CAMBRIDGECXN

From reviews etc I think the Cambridge CXN is a bit of overkill for what I need - My plan is always to save my CDS as FLAC files to a portable hard disk - So the plan would be to attach the hard drive via one of the above options and use the app via wifi to select the music I want to listen to in the same room- I have good wifi and would also like to be able to stream Spotify

I don't need to have multi room access etc as I have a very good home cinema system which I bought from yourselves

At the moment I am leaning to option A - Is this a good choice 

Many thanks  

Hi barsan,

Opition A would definitely be a good choice however I would probably veer towards option B as the Arcam CDS27 is a great CD player and has a streamer built in which is compatible with High Res FLAC files. The Aracam components sound fantastic and would be a perfect match for the A29. The CD6006 is a good CD player but having listened to both it doesn't have the clarity of the CDS27. The only downside of the CDS27 is the app is designed for Apple and it doesn't have Spotify built in so the Pioneer N30 is a better streamer.

If the streamer is the more important component I would stick with the Pioneer N30.

I hope you have found this info helpful.

Kind regards

David

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭barsan

David 
            Many thanks for your reply -  Sorry I had not understood that the CDS27 app is designed for Apple and it doesn't have Spotify - Do you know if Arcam are going to release a non Apple App in  the future as if there were I would seriously consider the CDS27

Is there any good CD Player available that would match well with the A29 that allows for a portable disk drive with FLAC files on it to be played via a non Apple application via a wifi connection 

Regards

David 
            Many thanks for your reply -  Sorry I had not understood that the CDS27 app is designed for Apple and it doesn't have Spotify - Do you know if Arcam are going to release a non Apple App in  the future as if there were I would seriously consider the CDS27

Is there any good CD Player available that would match well with the A29 that allows for a portable disk drive with FLAC files on it to be played via a non Apple application via a wifi connection 

Regards
    Hi barsan,

I had a look at the Arcam website and the app is only for Apple iOS with no plans yet for android. I tried to search for an app on my phone and can't find anything. It also only supports Deezer and Tidal.

I would look at something like the Yamaha CDS700 at £349 as a good CD player with USB input. The CD6006 is still a good CD player, i just prefer the sound quality of the Arcam CD player.

Kind regards

David

David 

Regards
    Hi barsan,

I had a look at the Arcam website and the app is only for Apple iOS with no plans yet for android. I tried to search for an app on my phone and can't find anything. It also only supports Deezer and Tidal.

I would look at something like the Yamaha CDS700 at £349 as a good CD player with USB input. The CD6006 is still a good CD player, i just prefer the sound quality of the Arcam CD player.

Kind regards

David
    David
             Many thanks - Not sure about the Yamaha - I will do a bit more research and check out the the Apple IOS - Is the  Arcam CDS27 capable of taking a 2TB portable hard drive 
    Regards 

• Company Representative Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: John

I think you should revert straight back to your initial post and rather than be waylaid by a multitude of options your initial 3 options were quite well thought out - however the one option that you haven't explored in more detail ( probably because of the cost!) is the Cambridge Audio CXN - of all the kit you detail - this is really the only one that will do justice to your A29 amp ( which is a great bit of kit!).

If you paired the CXN to its matching CD transport the Cambridge Audio CXC then you essentially get the best of both worlds, the CXC is a pure transport so you are not paying for 2 DAC's - instead the CXN DAC which is pretty unequalled at the price does all the work. The CD6006 is possibly a better all in one CD player, but with the CXN you just need a transport and the CXC is a superb transport, IMO far better than the CD6006!

The problem is of course the cost - as the combined cost of the CXC with the CXN is £1148 however we can do the CXC with the CXN together as a system at just £849 including shipping - OK, slightly more than the CDS27 on its own, but the CXC/N option really does give you everything you are looking for on the feature count as well as stunning Audio quality and the build quality is simply superb - have a look at these links:

https://www.whathifi.com/cambridge-audio/cxn/review

http://www.trustedreviews.com/cambridge-audio-cxn-review

https://www.cambridgeaudio.com/products/cx/cxc

Keep us posted,

ATVB,

John Mc & Crew

John McDonald / Managing Director / Richer Sounds Ireland / www.richersounds.ie / johnmc@richersounds.ie

• Advertisement

I think you should revert straight back to your initial post and rather than be waylaid by a multitude of options your initial 3 options were quite well thought out - however the one option that you haven't explored in more detail ( probably because of the cost!) is the Cambridge Audio CXN - of all the kit you detail - this is really the only one that will do justice to your A29 amp ( which is a great bit of kit!).

If you paired the CXN to its matching CD transport the Cambridge Audio CXC then you essentially get the best of both worlds, the CXC is a pure transport so you are not paying for 2 DAC's - instead the CXN DAC which is pretty unequalled at the price does all the work. The CD6006 is possibly a better all in one CD player, but with the CXN you just need a transport and the CXC is a superb transport, IMO far better than the CD6006!

The problem is of course the cost - as the combined cost of the CXC with the CXN is £1148 however we can do the CXC with the CXN together as a system at just £849 including shipping - OK, slightly more than the CDS27 on its own, but the CXC/N option really does give you everything you are looking for on the feature count as well as stunning Audio quality and the build quality is simply superb - have a look at these links:

Keep us posted,

ATVB,

John Mc & Crew
    John
           Many thanks - It looks like a great solution - I am giving it serious consideration - I just need a day or two to consider carefully and come up with the money etc - You and your team have never let me down in the past in anything I have bought (Including Ashley in the old Dublin shop) 
    Barsan

• Company Representative Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: John

Keep us posted,

ATVB,

John Mc & Crew
    John
           Many thanks - It looks like a great solution - I am giving it serious consideration - I just need a day or two to consider carefully and come up with the money etc - You and your team have never let me down in the past in anything I have bought (Including Ashley in the old Dublin shop) 
    Barsan
    Thanks Barsan - keep us posted and thanks for the kind words, really appreciated and by chance I just spoke to Ash recently - I need to tempt him back!

Thanks again and keep us posted if we can ever assist,

ATVB,

John Mc & Crew

John McDonald / Managing Director / Richer Sounds Ireland / www.richersounds.ie / johnmc@richersounds.ie

John
           I decided to go with the CXN and CXC - I was on to one of your team this afternoon to complete the order  - Many thanks for you suggestion - I am looking forward to receiving the 2 units
    Regards  Barsan

John
           I decided to go with the CXN and CXC - I was on to one of your team this afternoon to complete the order  - Many thanks for you suggestion - I am looking forward to receiving the 2 units
    Regards  Barsan
    Thanks for the order Barsan.

We are shipping it today and should arrive on Monday.

I'll Pm you the tracking number :D

John
    Regards  Barsan

Kenny - Many thanks for the update 

• Advertisement

John
    Regards  Barsan

Kenny - Many thanks for the update 
    No problem at all :D

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.