Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why dont contactless transactions appear in my pending list?

• 08-06-2017 8:39am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,586 ✭✭✭

The way that chip and pin ones do.

This is PTSB by the way.

Annoying when you check "actual balance" and its not the actual.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

The way that chip and pin ones do.

This is PTSB by the way.

Annoying when you check "actual balance" and its not the actual.

Basically, they do not go "online" for authorisations, so your bank will not know about it until the transactions is settled with them.

I think KBC might go line for Contactless, i noticed them appearing "faster".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,479 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

BoI contactless transactions can take a few days to appear.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

KBC or one of the European Banks. With N26 the transaction appears on my watch within two seconds of the tap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,586 ✭✭✭veryangryman

Basically, they do not go "online" for authorisations, so your bank will not know about it until the transactions is settled with them.

I think KBC might go line for Contactless, i noticed them appearing "faster".

So could i conceivably spend 30 quid that i dont have?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Nervous Wreck

Afaik, some contactless transactions are done online and others offline. I don't know what happens when though... but the offline ones don't appear straight away.
    So could i conceivably spend 30 quid that i dont have?

Pretty sure you can do 3x€30 contactless transactions per day so conceivably €90.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭JayRoc

Mr.S wrote: »
    Yes, but if you don't have an overdraft set up, your bank will charge you large fees for the pleasure of going into a minus balance :)

It's annoying, if you use contactless regularly you need to keep a mental note of what your pending transactions are. My transactions with AIB take 1-3 days to appear in pending / charged.

It must be down the how the bank decides how to process contactless transactions - as mentioned a revolut card contactless transaction will show up instantly.

My bank told me that it's my responsibility to monitor my spending. When I asked them how... (short of literally carrying a notebook and writing down each transaction) they couldn't tell me. So I don't use contactless unless shop assistants do it without asking me

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭domrush

JayRoc wrote: »
    My bank told me that it's my responsibility to monitor my spending. When I asked them how... (short of literally carrying a notebook and writing down each transaction) they couldn't tell me. So I don't use contactless unless shop assistants do it without asking me

Can't you check your online balance every now and again?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,238 ✭✭✭Kaizersoze81

This is exactly why I disabled the contactless feature on my card. It's impossible to keep track of your actual account balance with transactions taking several days to show up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,953 ✭✭✭duffman13

JayRoc wrote: »

Well to be fair as you said you can just not use the contactless feature. The whole point of it is that it is quick, which means they don't live check your account to process the transaction.

What did we do before online banking!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,474 ✭✭✭✭Alun

I'm with AIB and all Visa debit transactions show up pretty much instantly, whether done via PIN, contactless or with Android Pay.

• Advertisement

domrush wrote: »
    Can't you check your online balance every now and again?

That's my point. These transactions aren't visible on your online banking. They take days (sometimes almost a week) to go through. By which stage you're into the red and have been hit with several "unauthorised overdraft" charges

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭eurasian

I noticed this problem few months ago and since then I stopped using contactless. I'm also with PTSB but the way.
    What do I need to do to disable contactless payments on my card?

duffman13 wrote: »
    Well to be fair as you said you can just not use the contactless feature. The whole point of it is that it is quick, which means they don't live check your account to process the transaction.

As I said, I don't.

Unless a shop assistant does it without asking me (annoyingly common).

Edit...they DO check your balance, certainly with my bank (Ulster). Contactless transactions don't go through if there's nothing in your current balance. But if there's a cent there, as far as I can tell, you can theoretically keep spending until the transactions hit your account, several days later

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Nervous Wreck

eurasian wrote: »
    I noticed this problem few months ago and since then I stopped using contactless. I'm also with PTSB but the way.
    What do I need to do to disable contactless payments on my card?

I haven't done it but afaik, you need to go to a ptsb atm to do it. I think it's in some sort of an "other services" option or something.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,983 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

I don't know what you are all worried about, it's no problem to me, I have thousands spare in my contactless current account LOL.

(joke).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,238 ✭✭✭Kaizersoze81

Disable it at a tsb ATM , option is under "other services". Lots of people I know with tsb have disabled it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 491 ✭✭brendan86

I recently opened a KBC current account, Have used contactless in a lot of different shops and instantly will show up in my balance.

If my dad uses contactless in same shops wont show up for few days (AIB and BOI)

I cant understand how KBC is only bank in ireland that can process it straight away since there is a way.

Edit (Also i use to have a PTSB account, if I went in minus via contactless you get charged 5euro no matter how small your minus because of contacless which is a shambles they can get away with such a extortionate fee!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭beachhead

I am with PermanentTSB my contactless transactions appear in my online account on the same day.Often within minutes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 491 ✭✭brendan86

beachhead wrote: »
    I am with PermanentTSB my contactless transactions appear in my online account on the same day.Often within minutes

Its months ago I was with PTSB sorry didnt know its changed since. Back then took few days appear and if used was a 5euro charge if put to you in minus

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

ED E wrote: »
    KBC or one of the European Banks. With N26 the transaction appears on my watch within two seconds of the tap.

KBC and N26 are mastercard i think, AIB is Visa, perhaps that's the difference to the transactions appearing instantly ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭Delta2113

beachhead wrote: »

- Mine don't -think your talking about POS transactions.

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭Okon

brendan86 wrote: »
    I recently opened a KBC current account, Have used contactless in a lot of different shops and instantly will show up in my balance.

Yeah, I noticed that after I went from BOI to KBC. KBC is a much better service when it comes to Debit card transactions and online balances. All transactions - even contactless - show up instantly and the available balance is always correct.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

KBC and N26 are mastercard i think, AIB is Visa, perhaps that's the difference to the transactions appearing instantly ?

IIRC the deciding factor is the clearing houses behaviour not the cc/debit provider. They're just the conduit for the transaction.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,786 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

I can't understand why anyone still Banks with PTSB. This is yet another thing to add to the list of areas they get completely wrong. Why would they have contactless offline?

Advertisement