Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Issue with rented accomodation

Options
  • 08-06-2017 9:10am
    Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭

Apologies if I posted in the wrong forum. Feel free to move elsewhere.

I have been renting a house from a good friend over the last 3 years. She owns the property and my rent is €260 per month.
    Recently I needed sick leave from my job and I needed to move home as I wasn't able to drive etc. My sick leave began at the end of April. Somebody new started in my workplace around the same time and roles were re-jigged so she was essentially filling in for me. She needed accomodation so naturally I recommended the house I was renting as there was another spare room along with mine.
    I spoke to my friend first and she had no problem with this girl moving in to the spare room.

The girl is paying the same rent as I was.
    A couple of friends have suggested to me that since I got someone into the house in my absence that I shouldn't have to pay rent while I am not there. The more I think about it the more I am agreeing as essentially my friend has made a profit due to me being off on sick leave. It's a delicate situation as I don't want to fall out with her but I don't want to be paying €260 per month rent if I don't need to be.
    Any advice is welcome on how I approach this.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,794 ✭✭✭Squall Leonhart

You don't say a thing to your friend, who has provided very cheap accommodation for you up til now!

The friends who suggested to you that you shouldn't have to pay rent because you have brought her a second source of rental income are filling your head with bad ideas.

Viewing it as your friend making a profit from you being on sick leave is all wrong, and not a healthy view to take of a friend.

If you know your sick leave will be a long absence, and you won't be returning to the rented accommodation any time soon, then give your friend notice and stop being a tenant. However, if you know you'll be back soon and want to move back into the room you're renting, then you're going to have to pay to keep that room 'on hold' for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 612 ✭✭✭ForstalDave

You don't say a thing to your friend, who has provided very cheap accommodation for you up til now!

The friends who suggested to you that you shouldn't have to pay rent because you have brought her a second source of rental income are filling your head with bad ideas.

Viewing it as your friend making a profit from you being on sick leave is all wrong, and not a healthy view to take of a friend.

If you know your sick leave will be a long absence, and you won't be returning to the rented accommodation any time soon, then give your friend notice and stop being a tenant. However, if you know you'll be back soon and want to move back into the room you're renting, then you're going to have to pay to keep that room 'on hold' for you.

100% agree with this

• Registered Users Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭cruizer101

Are you renting a room in the property or do you have exclusive use of the house. I'd assume given the rent it is just a room (although you did say renting a house), is there anyone else in the house?. where in the country is it?

Either way 260 sounds like very good value for a room, I'd agree with Squall and say nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭The Diddakoi

It would be different if the other girl was in your room, but she isn't. She is paying for a completely separate room.
    Your room is still your room, it is still available to you and you alone, of course you should still pay your rent.
    And it might be an idea to re-evaluate your friends.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭Shinbin223

Thanks for the replies. Just to clarify I am renting a room, not the house and the owner lives there too.
    When my friends mentioned it to me I did say that I felt when my stuff was still in my room that I should still be paying rent but they seemed to think differently.
    I paid my rent for May as this hadn't even entered my head then. I guess I may have been harsh in saying that she was making a profit from my being sick, but when my stuff is still in my room I need to pay to hold it as I am not sure when I will be back to work.
    Thanks for the replies, I will transfer the June rent today.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,255 ✭✭✭Yawns

Yeah the room is yours to use whenever you like and can't be used by anyone else. Pay the rent. The others filling your head are idiots if they can't see this. €260 is a steal in todays market and that friend is much better for you.

If the other friends bring it up again, equate it to say car finance loan from a bank. If you have a car on finance for 3 years but after one year go on holiday to spain for a month, do you need to pay the loan still for that month even tho you are not driving the car. Of course you do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,951 ✭✭✭SB_Part2

Your friends are filling you with nonsense. You'd be incredibly stupid to stop paying rent here unless you want to move your stuff out and are happy to give up your room there.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,957 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

You need to get some smarter friends. Bad advice from the current ones has almost cost you the cheapest remtal situation you'll ever have.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭Ms Doubtfire1

agree with the other posters. One other thing as a warning: NEVER mix business and friendship.it always goes wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭omb0wyn5ehpij9

SB_Part2 wrote: »
    Your friends are filling you with nonsense. You'd be incredibly stupid to stop paying rent here unless you want to move your stuff out and are happy to give up your room there.
    You need to get some smarter friends. Bad advice from the current ones has almost cost you the cheapest remtal situation you'll ever have.

Couldn't agree more with these two posts. Keep paying your rent, or move out.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Honestly OP- don't believe a word these friends of yours tell you ever again- the advice they've given you is appalling.

The landlord (the owner occupier) can let out bedrooms in his/her house up to a gross amount of 14k per annum- without incurring a tax liability, under the rent-a-room scheme.

Also- your a licensee, not a tenant- and can be asked to move at any stage.

Further- just why do you imagine that your landlord letting a further spare room to another person- absolves you of any obligation to pay for your room- you've acknowledged your stuff is still there etc.

These friends of yours- don't pay heed to any advice they give you in future- the current advice they've offered is so far off- its nutty.

Advertisement