Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Federal Powershok [sic] 6.5x55SE

Options
  • 08-06-2017 9:17am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭

A fellow shooter yesterday was trying this 140gr SP load today in his nice SAKO Model something or other - a newish rifle.

Every single one of the twenty rounds fired showed signs of very high pressure in the form of completely flattened primers and a few showed beginnings of cratering.

They also made 'groups' of around 2 inches or more.

I was spotting for another shooter, so I came late to the scene after he'd fired them all, and he asked me to watch him shoot another brand. He'd had no problems with hard extraction, but.......

I, too, shoot this calibre in an 1898 m/96, but I reload and have never had a similar-looking round in more than thirty years of shooting my old rifle, 'sides, I'm way too poor to shoot factory stuff.

Anybody else had less than happy experience with this brand and type of ammunition, maybe in another calibre?

tac

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭yubabill1

Using powershok 64gr in 223 with Tikka T3 for years, haven't seen anything like that.

No hard extractions, no primer problems.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,562 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

When i was shooting a 6.5 i used Lapua Scenar 139 gr for target work and Federal 140 gr for hunting. As you said, and i touched on in the Caliber Choice thread, they are not cheap with the average price €40 - €44 per box. Reloading is not available for them so its all factory.

Never had an issue with the Federal. No hard extractions, flattening, cratering, and the groups were among the best i got from all the available ammo choices here. Other ammo included Lapua Nutralis (shockingly bad), Sako 120gr which weren't bad but dried up.

Having said that it's been a good 4 years since i fired either round so no explanation for the quality of it now. Also i fired mine through a Sauer 205, and RPA Interceptor. I've never had a Sako in 6.5.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭tac foley

All I shoot with my old clunker is the so-called military match using 140gr PPU bullets that I batch weigh for some sort of consistency. My one and only foray into live game shooting was in Norway many years ago, where I used an old m/38 open-sighted short rifle belonging to the guide's dad to take an elg out at about 70m. It was loaded with then then-new Norma Cor-lok 140gr bullet, and it worked as advertised.

This new SAKO rifle, with a couple of thousand ????? of scope on top, was a beauty - shame it shot like it was made by Hose-lock, not Cor-lok....

tac

Advertisement