Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

poxy fishermen skiffs and jetskis in Killaloe

• 08-06-2017 9:45am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 952 ✭✭✭

I'm down on the boat for a few days and I have to say I'm shocked and angered at the disrespect fishermen have in their skiffs going full pelt through the bridge in Ballina-Killaloe, blatant disregard, at all hours of the day and night now!, of the speed limits and "no wake" signs. I'm frying up the breakfast and they're all flying past full pelt!
    I was chatting to a German couple earlier in a hired boat and they said they found this to be the only place so far on their holiday to be totally inconvenienced by it all.
    The jetskis at the weekend are not much better, I flagged down a few and in fairness they stopped but the rest are blatent arrogant pr!cks with no respect. I thought this got tapped on the head when the water-ski crowd were told to move on some years ago? Do we have to go down this road again and police it like?

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,761 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Move, and tell the local businesses why you are leaving and won't be back there this summer. You are getting free berthing, the price you pay for that freedom is no policing of any behaviour and a few bad apples will always ruin it for the rest. Spread the word online, in social media (take pics with your phone and post them up) and by word of mouth. Give the place a bad reputation until something is done about it by those who have an interest in the area being a success.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

Tabnabs wrote: »
    ..........and a few bad apples will always ruin it for the rest. ......
    I've yet to see a good apple on a jetski. They attract the worst sort of eejit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,071 ✭✭✭✭neris

Jet skiers rhymes with bunts. Fishermen aint much better. Our issue with them is dropping pots especially ones that are dark coloured

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,230 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

I've yet to see a good apple on a jetski. They attract the worst sort of eejit.

I think someone should give me a go off a jetski and then they should be banned.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

neris wrote: »
    Jet skiers rhymes with bunts. Fishermen aint much better. Our issue with them is dropping pots especially ones that are dark coloured

Like the one's just as you round the corner in DL marina or the one's on the line at the hut on the west pier. Think they put one at each mark in Dublin bay so they are easy to find too.

I love jet skies I was told you never fall off, till I did a tight turn and fell off. In the right place in the right hands they a great craic. The problem with them is that most owners are attention seeking morons who have to use them where everybody can see them. A spot I surf sometimes is great till the Jet skies show up they could easily go down the coast but they have to do where everybody can watch them. The standard procedure it to keep buzzing the surfers till they get out so they can have the place to them selves.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 952 ✭✭✭hytrogen

Don't get me wrong, I've the piano wire lined up for them and all, and by all means go gallivant around open waters away from kids and lads doing the full fry aboard, but just a bit of respect around marinas, is it so much to ask for?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,269 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

I don't own a jetski myself but I don't get the hate. They usually sit in the same spot maybe 200m wide and endlessly go around in circles. There will usually be a girl on it who has been given a go by some slightly overweight guy with dark shades and spiky hair on the shore with a barbecue and a can of Gallahad. She will soon fall off but is quickly replaced by another Gallahad-drinker who stays on doing the same circle till the petrol runs out.

All in all they're quite a boring bunch of lads and since they don't venture out very far they're easily avoided and don't tend to bother me. I did see someone with a jetski in that very spot in Killaloe get a bollicking from the coast guard last year so I wouldn't say it's unenforced unless things have changed since then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,371 ✭✭✭✭endacl

The jet ski is the only form of transport yet invented without a single useful purpose.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭JamesM

endacl wrote: »
    The jet ski is the only form of transport yet invented without a single useful purpose.

http://www.surfaroundireland.com/2016/03/irish-tow-surf-rescue-now-taking-membership.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

OSI wrote: »
    They were perfectly happy hassling swimmers and dinghy sailors in Dublin bay a couple of weeks ago.
    If we are talking about the same occasion, one of them was very recognizable. He was going too near the kids who are learning to row from the W Pier. A well-known bearded individual.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,371 ✭✭✭✭endacl

JamesM wrote: »

This is difficult to say, what with Internet and everything, but..... here goes.... OK.... deep breath.....

You are correct. I was incorrect. I stand corrected.

Anybody mentions this ever happened, I'll hunt them down and kill them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,230 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

JamesM wrote: »

I change my view to: someone should give me a go off one, then they should be banned except for rescue work.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 903 ✭✭✭MysticMonk

A friend of mine does a lot of swimming off skerries and was nearly milled by a jetski on saturday...he says it's the first time it has ever happened but it's getting to be more of a problem.

MysticMonk wrote: »
    A friend of mine does a lot of swimming off skerries and was nearly milled by a jetski on saturday...he says it's the first time it has ever happened but it's getting to be more of a problem.

When I was in school a past pupil was killed by a jet ski on holiday. Was swimming off the beach and jet ski hit him in the head. I think some thing similar happened to the singer kirsty mccoll aswell

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,269 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

Can they not set aside an area for jetskis that's easily accessible for them and perhaps unappealing to swimmers and redirect them to that area. Most of them just want to giggle and zoom about on the same small patch of water anyway and anyone using them for transport won't be going too close to the shore anyway

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,761 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

So you want jetskiers to be law abiding water users, stick to their patch of water and play nice...?

attachment.php?attachmentid=221049

Can they not set aside an area for jetskis that's easily accessible for them and perhaps unappealing to swimmers and redirect them to that area. Most of them just want to giggle and zoom about on the same small patch of water anyway and anyone using them for transport won't be going too close to the shore anyway

High rock in portmarnock be perfect spot for that in North county dublin :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,809 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

Jetskis - a sure sign of a fucking moron , and now with the boom back and everyone rich again, we can expect more and more of the tossers out on the water.

Advertisement