Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

iOS 11 - Developer, public beta and official release

Options
  • 08-06-2017 10:15am
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭

I think it's time for a new thread.

For anyone who missed the keynote, here's a link to Apple's preview page for iOS 11. The headline features are a new Files app for managing documents, a redesigned Control Centre, new App Store, and significant improvements to iPad multitasking, including drag and drop. However, there's hundreds of other new features and changes, many of which have been long sought after. Here's 9to5Mac's video walkthrough:

Developer beta is available now for developers, public beta is available at the end of July (sign up here), and the official release is in September/October.

So, any thoughts on iOS 11? I'd really recommend the video above, it's long but gives a good overview of the many tweaks and improvements.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,484 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

I was on he IOS 10 beta.

Does that carry over or do I need to sign up again?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

murpho999 wrote: »
    I was on he IOS 10 beta.

Does that carry over or do I need to sign up again?

Usually, yes, you have to sign up again as its a separate profile.

Usually, yes, you have to sign up again as its a separate profile.

Ok, I signed in and got as far as "Enrolling your device'

I download mobile.config and in bottom right it gives me the 'open in' option and then says that no application on this device can open the file.

Any ideas?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Ok, I signed in and got as far as "Enrolling your device'

I download mobile.config and in bottom right it gives me the 'open in' option and then says that no application on this device can open the file.

Any ideas?

Weird. Tapping on download profile should take you straight to the install screen, no "open in" option. Does it actually say "no application on this device"? That doesn't even sound like an Apple error message. Are you currently running a beta? Maybe it's a bug.

Weird. Tapping on download profile should take you straight to the install screen, no "open in" option. Does it actually say "no application on this device"? That doesn't even sound like an Apple error message. Are you currently running a beta? Maybe it's a bug.

Got it.

I made the mistake of opening it first in Google Chrome.
    Just did it in safari and it has worked fine.

Also, that video above really shows what a good update iOS11 is.

• Advertisement

Got it.

I made the mistake of opening it first in Google Chrome.
    Just did it in safari and it has worked fine.

Ah that makes sense.
    Also, that video above really shows what a good update iOS11 is.

Yeah, a lot of good stuff. Message syncing is very welcome and should make doing a full restore a lot less painful.

Ah that makes sense.

Yeah, a lot of good stuff. Message syncing is very welcome and should make doing a full restore a lot less painful.

Also the control centre, the amount of customisation on it is great. Very un-Apple like. Welcome though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,684 ✭✭✭waynegalway

Is the public beta out yet?

Is the public beta out yet?

No, out at the end of June.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeloe

I've installed iOS 11 on my Air 2.

Seems stable enough. the screen recorder is pretty good.

There's gonna be some seriously dodgy goings on on snapchat with this! :)

Wonder should i chance installing it on the phone.....hmmmm

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,206 ✭✭✭Zcott

Definitely going to jump on the public beta of this when it comes out.

The new image formats have put a damper on any enthusiasm I have for the public beta. I don't want the cloud syncing compatibility headaches I had to endure with iCloud Drive.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,408 ✭✭✭naasrd

Zcott wrote: »
    Definitely going to jump on the public beta of this when it comes out.

There's a couple of links to it knocking around, I've installed it on my phone and ipad, also put watchOS 4 on too. All running really well so far.

naasrd wrote: »
    There's a couple of links to it knocking around, I've installed it on my phone and ipad, also put watchOS 4 on too. All running really well so far.

I'd thought about it but I can wait a few weeks for the public beta. I picked up the new 10.5" iPad and while it's great, it's really designed for iOS 11.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

The public beta site is down currently

Beta 2 is out now.

• Registered Users Posts: 496 ✭✭Ya-Boy-Ya

How do I get a public version of IOS 11 beta ??

Ya-Boy-Ya wrote: »

Not out yet , devolper beta 2 is out so maybe tomorrow

• Registered Users Posts: 2,408 ✭✭✭naasrd

Ya-Boy-Ya wrote: »

There’s a few links to,the dev beta knocking about. Pretty stable on iPad and iPhone. watchOS the same, this beta adds the Toy Story watch faces.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,461 ✭✭✭ibFoxer

peteeeed wrote: »
    Not out yet , devolper beta 2 is out so maybe tomorrow

Wasn't the iOS 10 beta something like 20 days between dev 1 and public 1? Just speculating it could possibly be next week before public is seen. Hopefully tomorrow though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭Gwildor

Public beta 4 out now...

Gwildor wrote: »
    Public beta 4 out now...

That's of 10.3.3.

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭Gwildor

Zcott wrote: »
    That's of 10.3.3.

Dope! Wrong thread!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,359 ✭✭✭DubDJ

What's the situation with running public betas and using an Apple Watch? As there isn't a public beta for the watchOS will they both work ok together? E.g. using watchOS 3 with iOS 11.

I know there could be feature incompatibilities between the two so I wasn't sure if it would cause issues. Think it's the only OS that they don't offer a public beta for currently.

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,037 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

Mr.S wrote: »
    FYI anyone tempted by the developer Beta 2 - it's a little tricky to downgrade easily back to iOS 10, so stick to Beta 1 if you really need to try it out - or wait for the public release.

My young lad had terrible problems downgrading from beta 2 back to ios10, he eventually managed it but now his home button no longer works. The touch id does work so he's able to unlock the handset. He spent ages over the weekend to support and they are sending him out a a box to ship the phone back to them as they are saying its just a hardware fault that has nothing to do with ios11. I dunno though as he never had any problems with the home button before trying to go back to ios10.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,461 ✭✭✭ibFoxer

Hopefully there's a public beta soon, i'm eager to try it but i'd rather wait to see how others get on with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭arch_stanton

Last year public beta 1 came on July 7 so it might be another week or so before we get a public beta of ios 11

• Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭arch_stanton

Last year public beta 1 came on July 7 so it might be another week or so before we get a public beta of ios 11

So much for that theory :-s, the public betas are available now

Not showing up yet but should be in the next couple of hours

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,359 ✭✭✭DubDJ

Tempted by this public beta but haven't seen much about how well it performs. Curious to how anybody here who tries it gets on.

Advertisement