Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

iOS 11 - Developer, public beta and official release

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 779 ✭✭✭bot43

The new podcast app is horrific. Worse than the last one which took a while to get used to.

The control centre is very cramped too.

Other than that its fine. Nothing special or spectacular.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

bot43 wrote: »
    The new podcast app is horrific. Worse than the last one which took a while to get used to.

Are they ever going to bring it to a levels that it’s people’s preferred podcast app?

They’ve had a number of attempts now and it’s still no where near a level that I’d ever consider using it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

Are they ever going to bring it to a levels that it’s people’s preferred podcast app?

They’ve had a number of attempts now and it’s still no where near a level that I’d ever consider using it.

What do people use as an alternative?

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭iniall

quarryman wrote: »

Overcast is the one I use. It's looks good and is easy to navigate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

quarryman wrote: »

I use RSSRadio and I love it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

downcast for me

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

Did ios 11 download yahoo mail app on anyone’s device?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭Thumper Long

Think iOS 11 has fcuked up Bluetooth haven't had an issue with the car in 2 years, CarPlay is fine but Bluetooth keeps disconnecting and reconnecting happens about 8 times over an hour this afternoon, complete PITA, if I'd taken a backup prior to upgrade I'd be going back :-(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭Thumper Long

mad muffin wrote: »
    Did ios 11 download yahoo mail app on anyone’s device?

No yahoo mail app on any devices in my house, can't see Apple slipstreaming yahoo in under the radar

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Think iOS 11 has fcuked up Bluetooth haven't had an issue with the car in 2 years, CarPlay is fine but Bluetooth keeps disconnecting and reconnecting happens about 8 times over an hour this afternoon, complete PITA, if I'd taken a backup prior to upgrade I'd be going back :-(
    Oddly, I'd had bluetooth issues since I got the iPhone 7 and they seem a lot better after installing iOS11.

I possibly should have reinstalled the OS - maybe you should too?

• Advertisement

No yahoo mail app on any devices in my house, can't see Apple slipstreaming yahoo in under the radar

iPad Air 2, iPad mini 2, and iPhone 7 all had the yahoo mail app installed after iOS 11. I don’t even use yahoo. :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,176 ✭✭✭vinnycoyne

mad muffin wrote: »
    iPad Air 2, iPad mini 2, and iPhone 7 all had the yahoo mail app installed after iOS 11. I don’t even use yahoo. :confused:

Do you have automatic downloads on? Perhaps you/someone downloaded it accidentally on one device and it was auto-downloaded to the rest...

vinnycoyne wrote: »
    Do you have automatic downloads on? Perhaps you/someone downloaded it accidentally on one device and it was auto-downloaded to the rest...

Ah yes. I had turned off automatic downloads… or I thought I did.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,553 ✭✭✭✭Copper_pipe

"Clear all" is gone from the notifications tab?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,684 ✭✭✭waynegalway

I’ve had the beta for a good while now, but only getting around to looking at the Files app properly this evening.

Am I missing something or is it pointless? The way I thought it would work was that it would be a one stop shop for my cloud files, which are spread over OneDrive, Google Drive and Dropbox. I set all of them up in the Files app, and they seemed to work well. Although, it didn’t show all the files on my Google Drive for some reason.

Anyway, it was working fine, so I deleted the Google Drive app and the Dropbox app from my phone, thinking I didn’t need them as I could access the data through Files. But no. When you delete the app, you can’t access the files through Files any more. What’s the point of it? If you still have to have separate apps for Drive, OneDrive and Dropbox, why not just use those apps and get rid of the Files app?

Am I missing the point? Anyone with an example use case that shows a benefit to the Files app?

• Administrators Posts: 53,845 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Anyone else noticed that battery life is awful in iOS11?

awec wrote: »
    Anyone else noticed that battery life is awful in iOS11?

About the same as iOS 10 for me, on an iPhone 6. Fantastic stand by stats, usually I put the phone on charge going to bed, with all antennas apart from the basic carrier signal turned off. Usually I wake up inge middle of the night, and I usually take it off charge at that point. Wake up in the morning, still 100% battery with about 4 hours stand by and 3 or 4 minutes usage.

Drain when using is about the same as before the update. I usually get back home around 6/7pm and if I didn’t stick it on the dock charger on my desk during the day, it would be down around 35-40%. Normal usuals, nothing too taxing like lots of GPS or gaming.

I do find that the battery meter gets erratic when it drops below 30%. It might drop suddenly to 20, hand there for a good while (best part of another hour of usage), suddenly drop to 8/9%, hold that figure for another hour or so, then drop to nothing in a matter of minutes. I thought this might have been fixed in ios11 as I’ve read that it’s a software bug on the battery meter.

Anyhow, overall I get about 4-5 hours of usage from a full charge.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,149 ✭✭✭shanec1928

Miss been able to see the content of iMessages from the control centre when unlocked.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,706 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Anyone have any idea why we don't get the news app here?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Anyone have any idea why we don't get the news app here?

It has to be localised for the Irish market. Deals made with publishers to provide optimised articles, human curators etc. Otherwise it’s just a glorified RSS reader.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,118 ✭✭✭notahappycamper

App update size is gone so you can’t see the update size of app updates. Any way to bring it back?

App update size is gone so you can’t see the update size of app updates. Any way to bring it back?

Nope. I spotted that a while back and sent feedback to Apple about it. It used to be handy to know the download size before hitting the update button, especially if the file was large and you weren’t on WiFi.

Nope. I spotted that a while back and sent feedback to Apple about it. It used to be handy to know the download size before hitting the update button, especially if the file was large and you weren’t on WiFi.

Yeah, it’s a step backwards in my opinion.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,641 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

shanec1928 wrote: »
    Miss been able to see the content of iMessages from the control centre when unlocked.

You can change that in notification settings.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

If you tap on the app icon and scroll down to “information” you can see how big the download is.

If you tap on the app icon and scroll down to “information” you can see how big the download is.

Ah, very good. Thanks for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,359 ✭✭✭DubDJ

Is that not the actual app size though, what it would be to download for the first time? Rather than the size of the update, which would just download what's needed.

DubDJ wrote: »
    Is that not the actual app size though, what it would be to download for the first time? Rather than the size of the update, which would just download what's needed.

Yeah, but even when it was listed on the updates page, that's usually what it showed: the full size of the app rather than the "delta" update that would be downloaded. This is probably why it was removed - it was inaccurate. So it may come back when Apple fix it.

• Registered Users Posts: 823 ✭✭✭dave oc

murpho999 wrote: »
    Anyone keep getting activate facetime and iMessage requests. Very annoying and costs money when you say yes.

Any idea how to stop it?

Noticing the same on mine and the other halves phone. We're both Eir sim only bill. iPhone 6 and 6S. Updated to iOS11 this week and have been getting constantly prompted for this. If I click ok it goes and activates a few mins after, but will prompt again after some time.

Anyone else seeing this/have a fix?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,484 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

dave oc wrote: »
    Noticing the same on mine and the other halves phone. We're both Eir sim only bill. iPhone 6 and 6S. Updated to iOS11 this week and have been getting constantly prompted for this. If I click ok it goes and activates a few mins after, but will prompt again after some time.

Anyone else seeing this/have a fix?

Be careful, every time you click ok you're sending an activation text to a UK number and there is a charge. I have paid about €10 over my last two bills without realising.

I'm also with Eir sim only and I was told I would have to contact Apple about it.
    Make sure to click Cancel each time.

Advertisement