Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

iOS 11 - Developer, public beta and official release

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,149 ✭✭✭shanec1928

anyone having issues with siri since the upgrade? cant set up hey siri and dictation isnt working. tested the front microphone in third party apps and on facetime no issues there tried rest etc any other ideas. Quick look online shows a few with having issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 823 ✭✭✭dave oc

murpho999 wrote: »
    dave oc wrote: »
    Noticing the same on mine and the other halves phone. We're both Eir sim only bill. iPhone 6 and 6S. Updated to iOS11 this week and have been getting constantly prompted for this. If I click ok it goes and activates a few mins after, but will prompt again after some time.

Anyone else seeing this/have a fix?

Be careful, every time you click ok you're sending an activation text to a UK number and there is a charge. I have paid about €10 over my last two bills without realising.

I'm also with Eir sim only and I was told I would have to contact Apple about it.
    Make sure to click Cancel each time.
    Thanks, I know about the text sent each time so haven’t been pressing ok all the time. When I was pressing cancel though my number was no longer activated for iMessage.

Anyway I think I found the root of the problem. I had previously activated WiFi calling, and since disabling that I haven’t got any prompt for iMessage activation. Same with herself. I’m waiting another day or so to be sure that’s it before I reactivate WiFi calling in case it starts happening again. I tried this as I noticed her phone was going crazy trying to switch network between ‘eir’ and WiFi calling. So far it’s fixed the iMessage pop up.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,484 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

dave oc wrote: »
    Thanks, I know about the text sent each time so haven’t been pressing ok all the time. When I was pressing cancel though my number was no longer activated for iMessage.

Anyway I think I found the root of the problem. I had previously activated WiFi calling, and since disabling that I haven’t got any prompt for iMessage activation. Same with herself. I’m waiting another day or so to be sure that’s it before I reactivate WiFi calling in case it starts happening again. I tried this as I noticed her phone was going crazy trying to switch network between ‘eir’ and WiFi calling. So far it’s fixed the iMessage pop up.

Ok, thanks. Good spot.

I have also disabled wifi calling and the messages appear to have stopped.

Do you think switching it back on will resolve it as I do lke the wifi calling.

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭iniall

Ever since updating my iPhone 7 to iOS 11 I've been receiving most messages twice, once as an iMessage, then a few minutes later as a text message. Anybody else experiencing this? Have googled remedies, but can't find any iOS 11-specific ones so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,579 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

awec wrote: »
    Anyone else noticed that battery life is awful in iOS11?

I was, until I noticed that manual fetch email was turned back to Automatic. Since then I'm getting 9-10hours screen on time on the 7 Plus

• Advertisement
  • Administrators Posts: 53,845 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

I was, until I noticed that manual fetch email was turned back to Automatic. Since then I'm getting 9-10hours screen on time on the 7 Plus

My fetch mail has always been on automatic but the battery life is still significantly worse on my 6s+. It's not even a slight drop in battery performance, the performance has gone off a cliff.

It's only 1pm and my battery is already at 70% after being off the charger since 9am. At this rate it'll die at 10/11pm which is pretty rubbish battery time, considering before the update I was going to bed at night with still 50%+ remaining.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

2 things I did that seemed to improve battery life somewhat on my 6s
    - close all safari tabs - i had a lot open and it seems they “phone home” on a regular basis which can’t be good for battery
    - turn off push email - I’ve always used this as well but imap malfunctions are pretty common and Apple has been tinkering with this

• Registered Users Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭Paddy@CIRL

My fetch mail has always been on automatic but the battery life is still significantly worse on my 6s+. It's not even a slight drop in battery performance, the performance has gone off a cliff.

It's only 1pm and my battery is already at 70% after being off the charger since 9am. At this rate it'll die at 10/11pm which is pretty rubbish battery time, considering before the update I was going to bed at night with still 50%+ remaining.

I'm having the same issue, need to keep Low Battery Mode on permanently. Estimate that stand-by power consumption has at least doubled since updating.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

iOS 11.0.1 is out

• Registered Users Posts: 1,684 ✭✭✭waynegalway

peteeeed wrote: »
    iOS 11.0.1 is out

Must be official rather than beta. No sign of it in my settings yet.

Is it normal for an official release go ahead of a public beta release version? Can’t remember it happening before.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

Yeah it’s official

• Registered Users Posts: 2,875 ✭✭✭deadanonymau5

Where can one change this setting? I cant find it in Mail.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

Where can one change this setting? I cant find it in Mail.

Settings- Accounts & Passwords

11.0.1 update cured my battery issues, normal service has resumed.

• Administrators Posts: 53,845 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Paddy@CIRL wrote: »

How can you tell that already?

I am on the beta program and not seeing this update which is strange.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

I am on the beta program and not seeing this update which is strange.

Delete the beta profile and restart.

How can you tell that already?

Because it used 5% battery over the course of an hour’s use, where it previously would have used that on standby.

Delete the beta profile and restart.

Will that mean you’ve left the beta programme and are back on official updates only?

Will that mean you’ve left the beta programme and are back on official updates only?

Yes. But I assume you can sign back on easily enough.

• Advertisement

Paddy@CIRL wrote: »

Also noticing a major battery improvement on an iPhone 6 which is good to see.

I don't understand how Apple can release these versions with battery issues.

I think it shows how Apple have become less concerned about user experience over the last few years.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,930 ✭✭✭keith_d99

Be careful, every time you click ok you're sending an activation text to a UK number and there is a charge. I have paid about €10 over my last two bills without realising.

I'm also with Eir sim only and I was told I would have to contact Apple about it.
    Make sure to click Cancel each time.

Yep ... clicking ok certainly charges you!
    Also an Eir (former Meteor) customer ...

Have had this pop up twice

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,429 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Is there a setting for this, or is it a glitch? The keyboard is constantly in the middle of screen. It's awful for searching the web and really slowed down my tweeting at a conference too.

Pic here.

keith_d99 wrote: »
    Yep ... clicking ok certainly charges you!
    Also an Eir (former Meteor) customer ...

Have had this pop up twice

Yes, I am still having this problem still.

Have found in Facetime settings that my number was not ticked and grey out. Clicked it, accepted charge, and got a tick beside it.

Thought all was good but a few hour later activation messages started again and
    the number was greyed out again.

Driving me crazy.

Is there a setting for this, or is it a glitch? The keyboard is constantly in the middle of screen. It's awful for searching the web and really slowed down my tweeting at a conference too.

Pic here.

Press the keyboard icon and select 'dock'.

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭Quintis

Reinstalled the beta but 11.0.1 is still not appearing for me...

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,037 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

Have you removed the profile and restarted you phone then?

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭Quintis

Aquos76 wrote: »
    Have you removed the profile and restarted you phone then?

Yep, still no luck

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭omb0wyn5ehpij9

Was downloading iOS 11.0.1 on iTunes a while ago and got an error message (4000). Not sure what caused it, but was too tired to try sort it so will try again in a few days

• Advertisement

Quintis wrote: »
    Reinstalled the beta but 11.0.1 is still not appearing for me...

It won’t show up if you have the beta profile installed. You’ll have to delete the beta profile, restart the phone, then you should see it.

That’s what I did yesterday, about an hour before beta 11.1 came out. Probably would have left the beta profile on there if I had known, but I’ll leave it on official releases now for a while.

Advertisement