Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

iOS 11 - Developer, public beta and official release

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭j8wk2feszrnpao

murpho999 wrote: »
    I do think that Apple's quality control of iOS releases has deteriorated over the last few years.

iOS 11, despite numerous betas, is buggy as hell and and I don't think it should have been released.

Caused a lot of battery issues, lag and frame drops.

I don't really think it's good enough to release buggy software and then just fix it later.
    Agreed. Been on iOS since the start, and for the last two releases I’ve waited days/weeks before the “fix” update(s) is available.

It might just be due to the complexity of the OS at this stage, it’s grown so much from those early days. It’s support is across a lot more phones/devices as well.

Apple are releasing two very different phones in a short window, watches, iPads, MAC, Apple TV, Apple Music..... I’m not sure the focus is where it once was.

All that said, when I get to try the X, and if it wows me as I hope it does, I’ll get it. I’m just not as enthusiastic as I used to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

11.1 public beta 3 out

• Registered Users Posts: 2,118 ✭✭✭notahappycamper

Battery gone to crap since iOS 11.0.3 or since iOS 11 in general. I’m using an iPhone 7 Plus. Are the betas improving battery life in the 7 Plus so we can expect it in the official release?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,100 ✭✭✭The Ayatolla

Anyone else having issues with 3G connectivity when switching from Wifi?

When I leave work's Wifi connection it should switch the 4G, which it does, and the 4G symbol displays. No web pages load and WhatsApp doesn't connect. I have to put the phone in Airplan mode and then back on again to "refresh" the signal, after which it starts working again. Only happens since iOS11 and still happening when I upgraded to my iPhone 8 Plus.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,613 ✭✭✭server down

I hear that buddy and I've actually never had the issue before... It's not head wrecking or anything, just a little annoying. Eventually my brain will block it out and I won't notice :D

The OS does slow down a bit on every update but temporarily

• Advertisement

Battery gone to crap since iOS 11.0.3 or since iOS 11 in general. I’m using an iPhone 7 Plus. Are the betas improving battery life in the 7 Plus so we can expect it in the official release?

Apparently.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

They are currently trying to sort out my battery issue. I'm having to charge three or four times a day since changing iOS.
    I'm also charging on an ice pack to prevent overheating.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

I’ve experianced now since updating to iOS 11, several times, on my iPhone 7, iPad Air 2, iPad mini 2, and iPhone 5s.

That they simply won’t charge. Battery turns to green but they aren’t chargeing. This is with several different Apple cables and chargers.

I’ve even seen on the iPad mini were it would say not charging. This was with its own charger and cable that came in the box.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,443 ✭✭✭Deep Thought

I have noticed that once plugged in, it takes awhile to recognize the fact its plugged.

The narrower a man’s mind, the broader his statements.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

anyone has problems with downloading playlists from Apple Music and itunes match?
    Since ios11 I've been unable to download all my songs locally. It's definitely an ios issue as I've had this on my 6s and now the 7.

• Advertisement

11.1 Public beta 4 is out

• Registered Users Posts: 6,495 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

This really is a buggy mess on my 7 plus. Siri has really gone to hell, not that it was much use to begin with. App suggestions constantly break. Screen rotation is sluggish. Random weirdness. Really ugly design ..that passcode screen :eek: I'm also not sure if control centre is buggy or design choice where some of the icons should be 90% on screen. I regret giving up my Monkey Island games for this.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,889 ✭✭✭evad_lhorg

Mr.S wrote: »
    Anyone on a 6S / 6S+ with an after-market screen repair?

The 'bug' which causes the screen to become unresponsive is still happening for me, they specifically referenced the bug as being fixed in the last update, but it still happens to me.

Really annoying as it requires a shutdown / restart to fix.

Is it possible to downgrade back to iOS 10? Annoyed that Apple can break non-Apple fixes so easily :(

The only fix i've read about that actually work is to restore with a genuine screen (eg the broken one you replaced) installed, and then switch back to the after market display. Yikes.

I've never had my phone 6S repaired or screen replaced and it's still freezing constantly. Losing the rag with the phone constantly now. Have to restart about 3-4 times a day.

The music issue is pissing me off too. Can't control spotify etc with the head phones without restarting and then it just ends up going back to the same after a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

Mr.S wrote: »
    Anyone on a 6S / 6S+ with an after-market screen repair?

The 'bug' which causes the screen to become unresponsive is still happening for me, they specifically referenced the bug as being fixed in the last update, but it still happens to me.

Really annoying as it requires a shutdown / restart to fix.

Is it possible to downgrade back to iOS 10? Annoyed that Apple can break non-Apple fixes so easily :(

The only fix i've read about that actually work is to restore with a genuine screen (eg the broken one you replaced) installed, and then switch back to the after market display. Yikes.

aftermarket repairs suck for iphones as they cannot calibrate it correctly.
    You're better off sending it to apple and sucking up the cost as it will annoy you otherwise for as long as you have it.

11.1 public Beta 5 is out

• Administrators Posts: 53,845 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Was travelling at the weekend and it really highlighted just how garbage ios11 is. Battery life is a joke, I doubt I'm even getting 50% of what I got in iOS10.

Can literally open a browser and watch as your battery goes down. Put the phone in the pocket at 79% battery, take it out 5 mins later and it's 44%.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

awec wrote: »
    Was travelling at the weekend and it really highlighted just how garbage ios11 is. Battery life is a joke, I doubt I'm even getting 50% of what I got in iOS10.

Can literally open a browser and watch as your battery goes down. Put the phone in the pocket at 79% battery, take it out 5 mins later and it's 44%.

This isn’t normal even for iOS 11. Probably a rogue background process. VoIP, email, Facebook or location tracking apps are the usual culprits.

• Administrators Posts: 53,845 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

This isn’t normal even for iOS 11. Probably a rogue background process. VoIP, email, Facebook or location tracking apps are the usual culprits.

The dropping 30% in 5 minutes isn't normal obviously.

But it seems completely normal in iOS11 to have to charge your phone in the middle of the day. :(

It is pretty frustrating that a phone that was flawless battery wise has gone to pieces in iOS11. Used to be going to bed with 60 or 70% battery, now it's 20 if I'm lucky and haven't used it too much.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,930 ✭✭✭keith_d99

FYI .... The "carrier may charge" pop-up issue ...

Eir have acknowledged that it is an issue at their end
    The only way I have successfully stopped it happening is to turn off wifi calling

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭nihicib2

Since I have updated my battery life has crashed, today it went from 43% to 12% in under five minutes, and I wasn't even using the phone, Im having other issues as well, its slow to open the camera, and other apps, just being generally glitchy. I contacted Apple support and the did a diagnostics test and told me that my battery was 'consumed'. In other words, buggered and that it had reached the end of its cycle, I told them I had no issues with the battery up until the update but they said it was a coincidence. Im seriously annoyed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,484 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

keith_d99 wrote: »
    FYI .... The "carrier may charge" pop-up issue ...

Eir have acknowledged that it is an issue at their end
    The only way I have successfully stopped it happening is to turn off wifi calling

I had this issue for a good while and was not helped at all by switching off wifi calling.

I contacted Apple and they got me to sign out my appleid, restart phone and sign back in again. This caused the Appleid settings to be updated, which you should get flagged for and I updated and have not had the problem since.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,930 ✭✭✭keith_d99

I had this issue for a good while and was not helped at all by switching off wifi calling.

I contacted Apple and they got me to sign out my appleid, restart phone and sign back in again. This caused the Appleid settings to be updated, which you should get flagged for and I updated and have not had the problem since.

Tried all that ... wiped phone and restored.
    Even set up as a new phone ... no bloody luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 648 ✭✭✭Tenshot

I upgraded my iPhone 6 from 10.3 to 11.03 a week ago. I'm still overall unhappy, but things aren't as bad as they were for the first two days. I discovered a few things, which might help others in the same boat:
    • Apparently Spotlight re-indexes everything in the background after an OS update. This takes its toll on battery life and performance. You just need to wait it out, and ideally run on the charger for 12+ hours after initially upgrading. It will settle down after a while.
    • iOS 11 enables background refresh for applications without asking - doh! Turn it off under Settings -> General -> Background App Refresh and it will help a lot.
    • iOS 11 blocks old 32-bit apps, but apparently checks (very) regularly to see if an updated version is available, again draining battery life and performance. Identify and then delete them unless you're sure an update is imminent. They're listed under Settings -> General -> About -> Applications (if you can't get into the Applications sub-menu, it's because there are no more incompatible applications installed on your system).
    • It seems under iOS 11, the Bluetooth and Wi-Fi options on the slide-up control panel no longer physically disable the radios associated with Bluetooth and Wifi; they just disconnect the current service. Turning them off here doesn't give you the battery savings you'd expect. Turn them off permanently in Settings, or switch to Airplane mode, if you want to extend your battery life.
    • Turning on Reduce Motion under Settings -> General -> Accessibility settles down the animations and reduces CPU usage, improving battery life.
    Some of the minor things that continue to annoy me on a daily basis:
    • My lock screen is now in landscape mode 90% of the time when my phone wakes up; looks terrible!
    • I hate the way my lock wallpaper fades in from black; with my wallpaper choice, it's really offputting. No way to disable this
    • I miss the icon labels on the docked icons at the bottom of the home screen
    • The new slide-up controls layout looks far too cluttered; keeping the basic controls and music controls separate worked much better for me.
    • My carefully organised home screens were completely messed up after the upgrade; I had to spend a lot of time putting things back where they belonged
    • I had the signal strength hack (displayed RSSI in dB instead of antenna bars in upper left corner) on iOS 10; completely gone in iOS 11, nobody's figured out how to enable it. I work in Telecoms, so this was handy on a daily basis when I was checking coverage.
    Some things I like, for balance:
    • Keypad on the phone dialer screen is more solid and easier to read
    • Multi-select of app icons on the home screen when re-arranging them (finally!)
    • Font choices throughout the UI have been improved, and most things are a bit easier to read
    A week later, and my battery life seems to be mostly as it was. If I'm not watching video during the day, I'll usually end up with 30%+ by the end of the day.

Overall, I've found nothing compelling to justify the upgrade, but I can at least live with it now.

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭PaulT21

• Registered Users Posts: 28,484 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Tenshot wrote: »
    I upgraded my iPhone 6 from 10.3 to 11.03 a week ago. I'm still overall unhappy, but things aren't as bad as they were for the first two days. I discovered a few things, which might help others in the same boat:
    • Apparently Spotlight re-indexes everything in the background after an OS update. This takes its toll on battery life and performance. You just need to wait it out, and ideally run on the charger for 12+ hours after initially upgrading. It will settle down after a while.
    • iOS 11 enables background refresh for applications without asking - doh! Turn it off under Settings -> General -> Background App Refresh and it will help a lot.
    • iOS 11 blocks old 32-bit apps, but apparently checks (very) regularly to see if an updated version is available, again draining battery life and performance. Identify and then delete them unless you're sure an update is imminent. They're listed under Settings -> General -> About -> Applications (if you can't get into the Applications sub-menu, it's because there are no more incompatible applications installed on your system).
    • It seems under iOS 11, the Bluetooth and Wi-Fi options on the slide-up control panel no longer physically disable the radios associated with Bluetooth and Wifi; they just disconnect the current service. Turning them off here doesn't give you the battery savings you'd expect. Turn them off permanently in Settings, or switch to Airplane mode, if you want to extend your battery life.
    • Turning on Reduce Motion under Settings -> General -> Accessibility settles down the animations and reduces CPU usage, improving battery life.
    • My lock screen is now in landscape mode 90% of the time when my phone wakes up; looks terrible!
    • I hate the way my lock wallpaper fades in from black; with my wallpaper choice, it's really offputting. No way to disable this
    • The new slide-up controls layout looks far too cluttered; keeping the basic controls and music controls separate worked much better for me.
    • My carefully organised home screens were completely messed up after the upgrade; I had to spend a lot of time putting things back where they belonged
    • I had the signal strength hack (displayed RSSI in dB instead of antenna bars in upper left corner) on iOS 10; completely gone in iOS 11, nobody's figured out how to enable it. I work in Telecoms, so this was handy on a daily basis when I was checking coverage.
    • Multi-select of app icons on the home screen when re-arranging them (finally!)
    • Font choices throughout the UI have been improved, and most things are a bit easier to read
    A week later, and my battery life seems to be mostly as it was. If I'm not watching video during the day, I'll usually end up with 30%+ by the end of the day.

Overall, I've found nothing compelling to justify the upgrade, but I can at least live with it now.

I really think the impact of background app refresh is minimal and I like having apps up to date when I go in.

Also, wifi and bluetooth really only use power when in use rather than when just on.

I personally prefer having all of the control centre on one page and it's pretty customisable. I do wish you could move stuff around though such as the pallets etc.

I've had iOS 11 since June and really like it. Just wish Apple would make their updates slicker, less lag and more polished.

Last few years have seen buggy iOS updates done each year which is not the way it used to be.

My iPhone 6 is constantly crashing with the new update. Its a total nightmare almost making the phone unusable. Is there any way to roll back the update? Any other suggestions?

Tenshot wrote: »

The mac has the same issue with Spotlight, a new mac I bought seemed slow for a few days. That said I dont see the need to re-index on a software update.

I really think the impact of background app refresh is minimal and I like having apps up to date when I go in.

Also, wifi and bluetooth really only use power when in use rather than when just on.

I personally prefer having all of the control centre on one page and it's pretty customisable. I do wish you could move stuff around though such as the pallets etc.

I've had iOS 11 since June and really like it. Just wish Apple would make their updates slicker, less lag and more polished.

Last few years have seen buggy iOS updates done each year which is not the way it used to be.

if they continue to release software to a hardware release schedule, thats inevitable.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,434 ✭✭✭embraer170

My 6S+ has improved massively since doing a full update and re-store (iTunes backup, install a raw iPSW downloaded online, restore).

The phone has gone from basically unusable to buttery smooth. The only real issue left is that the camera is quite slow to open. It was all a pain to do but well worth it.

• Advertisement

11.1 officially out

Advertisement