Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

iOS 11 - Developer, public beta and official release

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

11.1 officially out

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,641 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

No mention of battery improvements in release notes.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

I've been running it for a week. It's a lot smoother. Animations are much improved. Battery life is probably a bit better too.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

embraer170 wrote: »
    My 6S+ has improved massively since doing a full update and re-store (iTunes backup, install a raw iPSW downloaded online, restore).

The phone has gone from basically unusable to buttery smooth. The only real issue left is that the camera is quite slow to open. It was all a pain to do but well worth it.

This is what I did. Factory restore and then install everything again, most of my data is in the cloud anyway.

I thought the days were one where a clean install was required but it really helped me to get ios11 running perfect for me.

11.2 public beta is out

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,429 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Query re Mail.

Have a 5s as a work phone. Mail stopped working some months ago, but nothing to do with iOS or the app itself - purely the mail server in work not co-operating. Not fixable. We're now moving to Google and I'm hoping to have email on my phone again.

The concern I have is about losing contacts (i.e. phone numbers - email addresses are easier to retrieve). If I delete the current mail settings I lose almost everything, albeit temporarily, they come back if I store the profile. I'm not sure what to do when Gmail is up and running. I don't want the old account as it doesn't work. And don't want two mail accounts on the go as the old one doesn't work anyway, keen to avoid possible conflict. Once we migrate to our new work email, should I, on a desktop, create new contacts in Gmail, then sync these to the iPhone to ensure numbers are carried over when I sort out the new mail settings? Trying to read email through browser was utterly hopeless, can't wait to get away from that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,118 ✭✭✭notahappycamper

Any battery improvements showing in 11.2 beta? I’m on a 7 Plus whose battery life has halved since iOS 11. I used to get a day and a half on standby with about 7-8 hours usage without using low power mode.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Any battery improvements showing in 11.2 beta? I’m on a 7 Plus whose battery life has halved since iOS 11. I used to get a day and a half on standby with about 7-8 hours usage without using low power mode.

Its to early to say for sure yet, but so far I would say marginally better than 11.1

• Registered Users Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭Cherrycola

I haven’t updated to 11.1 yet, the previous updates wrecked my battery life on 6s, dropped from 75% to dead after 10mins using snapchat this morning! Anyway, a suggestion on twitter was to do a Reset, Settings- General-Reset-Reset all settings, and that seems to have helped somewhat.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,434 ✭✭✭embraer170

11.1 is causing my battery to behave very strangely (6S+).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

man battery life sucks on ios11. On a 7+ and video streaming hammers it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,495 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

Blazer wrote: »

I'd usually have about 20% when plugging my 7plus going to bed, now I'm getting low power warnings about 4 hours before that. I'm not even using the phone that much since iOS11.

• Administrators Posts: 53,845 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Blazer wrote: »

+1

Battery life is terrible, pretty shoddy work from Apple. I expect a degradation with every new iOS as they add new features but iOS11 is just a disaster in this regard.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,118 ✭✭✭notahappycamper

Same here. I used to have great battery life on my 7 Plus, not anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭Armonline

awec wrote: »
    +1

Battery life is terrible, pretty shoddy work from Apple. I expect a degradation with every new iOS as they add new features but iOS11 is just a disaster in this regard.

Did some impact on battery in the early betas on my 7+ but has been fine since full versions were released for me. Once I did a few hard resets all was good battery wise. I’m on 11.1 at moment

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Strange, no difference on my 7. Still excellent battery life.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,875 ✭✭✭deadanonymau5

My 7 Plus battery life is shi7e now too!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

I reckon background refresh is not working correctly. I have it turned off but my battery level can easily drop 40% in an hour which I've never seen before.

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭PhilipsR

Can you go back to ios10?!

Two bugs still not fixed for me:

1. If phone is on silent, bedtime app doesn't make noise each morning.
    2. When listening to Spotify/Podcasts with earphones, and I press the button on the earphones to pause, it opens the Apple Music App and begins to play music there instead (:confused:). I went on to the Apple community for this issue and it's down as 'solved', with the solution being to turn your phone on and off again. Worked for a while and then goes back to ****ness.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭omb0wyn5ehpij9

I've had a nightmare with updating my iPhone 6 to iOS 11.1. I had a few issues installing iOS 11.0, as iTunes wouldn't update the phone. It was the day it was released, so thought it might have been a dodgy download so gave up and tried the following day and all was fine. I always manage my music manually. I have about 100 GB of music on iTunes (all imported from CDs and MP3s) and I would have about 30 GB of that on my phone.

I went to update on Saturday morning. I hadn't updated to any of the 11.0.X updates so was going straight from 11.0 to 11.1. I backed up the phone to my laptop as usual, iTunes downloaded the update and went to start installing it, and this is where it all went wrong. iTunes stopped recognising my phone and the phone then went into restore mode. I couldn't update the phone or restore as it wouldn't find the phone. I tried a different cable, it made no difference. I restarted my laptop, it made no difference. I restarted my phone, it made no difference. I then reset my phone, and iTunes recognised it again. It obviously had to be restored so it was set up as a new phone. Once this was complete I tried restoring from the backup I had done that morning. Then I couldn't remember my password for my backup (and for those who aren't aware, there is no way of resetting this password). Eventually I remembered it and the iPhone restored my back up.

But it left me with a few issues....virtually all the apps had to be downloaded and installed again. This wasn't too bad as the phone did it automatically, but it took a while. I had to go through all the phone settings again. The biggest issue is that I have to manually select and add all my music back to my phone at some point this week :(. This is the first time I've had a big issue with an iOS update, and it was a waste of 3 hours on Saturday :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

BDJW wrote: »
    I've had a nightmare with updating my iPhone 6 to iOS 11.1. I had a few issues installing iOS 11.0, as iTunes wouldn't update the phone. It was the day it was released, so thought it might have been a dodgy download so gave up and tried the following day and all was fine. I always manage my music manually. I have about 100 GB of music on iTunes (all imported from CDs and MP3s) and I would have about 30 GB of that on my phone.

I went to update on Saturday morning. I hadn't updated to any of the 11.0.X updates so was going straight from 11.0 to 11.1. I backed up the phone to my laptop as usual, iTunes downloaded the update and went to start installing it, and this is where it all went wrong. iTunes stopped recognising my phone and the phone then went into restore mode. I couldn't update the phone or restore as it wouldn't find the phone. I tried a different cable, it made no difference. I restarted my laptop, it made no difference. I restarted my phone, it made no difference. I then reset my phone, and iTunes recognised it again. It obviously had to be restored so it was set up as a new phone. Once this was complete I tried restoring from the backup I had done that morning. Then I couldn't remember my password for my backup (and for those who aren't aware, there is no way of resetting this password). Eventually I remembered it and the iPhone restored my back up.

But it left me with a few issues....virtually all the apps had to be downloaded and installed again. This wasn't too bad as the phone did it automatically, but it took a while. I had to go through all the phone settings again. The biggest issue is that I have to manually select and add all my music back to my phone at some point this week :(. This is the first time I've had a big issue with an iOS update, and it was a waste of 3 hours on Saturday :mad:

My biggest issue with the update was that all of my music from iTunes that I have on the phone offline were all perfect quality and since the update it must have compressed them automatically because anything with bass now is ruined. I know it's not the headphones because youtube etc are fine.

Any chance of fixing this?

• Registered Users Posts: 635 ✭✭✭MillField

Is anyone having issues with Mail on iOS 11.1 GM? I have a Yahoo/Gmail unified inbox and it keeps getting stuck loading mail.

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭Quintis

The Twitter bug where clearing one notification clears all notifications is back since the last release, very annoying

11.2 beta 2 is out

• Registered Users Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭Simply Red

Having an issue all of a sudden where I will not get notifications while the phone is locked, I will only notice something new has arrived after unlocking and seeing the red badge on an app icon. 8 Plus running 11.1

Edit: Never mind I messed with something in do not disturb :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,149 ✭✭✭shanec1928

MillField wrote: »
    Is anyone having issues with Mail on iOS 11.1 GM? I have a Yahoo/Gmail unified inbox and it keeps getting stuck loading mail.
    Yup nothing loading for me

• Registered Users Posts: 4,149 ✭✭✭shanec1928

shanec1928 wrote: »
    Yup nothing loading for me
    restarting the phone seems to have sorted it. getting mails in now.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,429 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Is there a handy way of deleting messages in Mail without reading them? In Messages for texts you can either hide alerts or delete. But, in Mail, it's either More, Flag or Archive. Subcategory of More does provide more options such as reply, etc, but no delete. You've to move to Trash by selecting it which is a little awkward. I've lots of subfolders to scroll through.

Gmail based work account.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭brophs

Is there a handy way of deleting messages in Mail without reading them? In Messages for texts you can either hide alerts or delete. But, in Mail, it's either More, Flag or Archive. Subcategory of More does provide more options such as reply, etc, but no delete. You've to move to Trash by selecting it which is a little awkward. I've lots of subfolders to scroll through.

Gmail based work account.

I may be understanding the issue but a long/full swipe to the left on the email itself should delete it, no?

• Advertisement

Advertisement