Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

iOS 11 - Developer, public beta and official release

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,149 ✭✭✭shanec1928

Doltanian wrote: »
    This is the worst release of iOS ever, I made such a mistake to upgrade from 10.3.3, the amount of lag, stutter age buggyness is unbelievable. I’m in two minds whether to jump ship to Android or else force Apple to give me a new phone which may have the old iOS preinstalled. I won’t tolerate this thrash any longer and it’s not what pay top dollar for.

Have you done what everyone else has told you in all the other places you’ve posted about having issues? And actually setup as a fresh device...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭Doltanian

shanec1928 wrote: »
    Have you done what everyone else has told you in all the other places you’ve posted about having issues? And actually setup as a fresh device...

I wiped and set it up again and restored from iCloud and deleted alot of old apps also. Buts its still as stuttery and shakey as ever. Will be contacting Apple and EIR tomorrow and requesting a replacement. Its a pity because the hardware is physcially fine but iOS is such a rotten piece of crap designed to slow down your phone as part of Apples planned obsolescence policy. This is definitely my last iPhone and I am debating whether to jump to a Samsung Galaxy S8 or wait until they launch their presumable S9 next April. Apple are a disgusting company and I will never again buy their products after this and every Smart phone I've owned was Apple since migrating from Nokia around 7 years ago, and if they think they can slow my phone down enough to make me consider jumping to a €1,200 iPhone X then it's going to be Samsungs gain.

I read online that if I took the phone into an Apple store they might just straight replace it there and then? I've been toying with the idea of going to Belfast for some Christmas shopping and if I thought the Apple store would straight swap it for old stock with iOS 10.3.3 I'd do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭Armonline

I wiped and set it up again and restored from iCloud and deleted alot of old apps also. Buts its still as stuttery and shakey as ever. Will be contacting Apple and EIR tomorrow and requesting a replacement. Its a pity because the hardware is physcially fine but iOS is such a rotten piece of crap designed to slow down your phone as part of Apples planned obsolescence policy. This is definitely my last iPhone and I am debating whether to jump to a Samsung Galaxy S8 or wait until they launch their presumable S9 next April. Apple are a disgusting company and I will never again buy their products after this and every Smart phone I've owned was Apple since migrating from Nokia around 7 years ago, and if they think they can slow my phone down enough to make me consider jumping to a €1,200 iPhone X then it's going to be Samsungs gain.

I read online that if I took the phone into an Apple store they might just straight replace it there and then? I've been toying with the idea of going to Belfast for some Christmas shopping and if I thought the Apple store would straight swap it for old stock with iOS 10.3.3 I'd do it.

It is not a IOS issue as most phones with IOS 11 are working fine. You have a problem with your phone only, if you can get a genius appointment in the Apple store then do it as they will replace it if it is under warranty.

Also, in my experience Apple is generally far better at keeping updates and performance on older phones than Samsung.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,359 ✭✭✭DubDJ

I’m confident in saying that Apple having a forced obsolescence policy is complete bs. As software is updated it’s completely understandable that older hardware won’t perform as well. I don’t know why your phone is performing so badly, but you are in the minority as it would be all over every tech website about this if it was a widespread issue.

For me, I’ve been using an iPhone almost 8 years now. Over the years I’ve never had any major problems with the hardware or software, only minor bugs which are expected. Saying that, iOS 11 was the first time I encountered actual battery drain. And it was a pain, but I upgraded phones and battery is great so I don’t know how the situation played out.

One thing I will point out, if your planning on switching to Android expecting to have things better you might want to think twice. One of the bigger issues with Android phones is that over the months they start to slow down and get laggy. And I don’t think it’s just bs either, if I remember right there was actually an Android update that was supposed to help address the problem.

Just a heads up, things might be much improved the last year or so but I remember it being a bit of an issue. Phones being really quick and snappy and eventually becoming slow and glitchy.

DubDJ wrote: »
    I’m confident in saying that Apple having a forced obsolescence policy is complete bs. As software is updated it’s completely understandable that older hardware won’t perform as well. I don’t know why your phone is performing so badly, but you are in the minority as it would be all over every tech website about this if it was a widespread issue.

For me, I’ve been using an iPhone almost 8 years now. Over the years I’ve never had any major problems with the hardware or software, only minor bugs which are expected. Saying that, iOS 11 was the first time I encountered actual battery drain. And it was a pain, but I upgraded phones and battery is great so I don’t know how the situation played out.

One thing I will point out, if your planning on switching to Android expecting to have things better you might want to think twice. One of the bigger issues with Android phones is that over the months they start to slow down and get laggy. And I don’t think it’s just bs either, if I remember right there was actually an Android update that was supposed to help address the problem.

Just a heads up, things might be much improved the last year or so but I remember it being a bit of an issue. Phones being really quick and snappy and eventually becoming slow and glitchy.

Planned obsolescence if definitely a thing, if I still had my iPhone 6 and this happened then I'd be more understanding as it is a 3 year old phone and that would be more understandable, however my old iPhone 6 was running fine on iOS 10.3.3 the same way that my iPhone 7 was and my iPhone 7 should run on iOS 11 without issue but it isnt.

However the upgrade to iOS 7 has been an unmitigated disaster for me and the Phone is stuttery and full of lag, waiting for apps to open, apps crashing and it doing its own thing like switching on Bluetooth when I keep it off etc. Apps saying its not connected to the internet etc.

I don't get why people are singing the praise of iOS when it has been blasted as the worst release of iOS ever, reddit is full of stories of this happening and Apple should be customizing the releases for the specific model and this reminds me of the carnage Windows Vista caused around 10 years ago when only very highly specced high end machines could run it properly. Microsoft responded with Windows 7 the best operating software Microsoft ever made and I keep my updates turned off in that also.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeloe

You wiped it, and the restored from iCloud, of the buggy back up.

Set it up as a new Day 1 phone and your issues will be gone. Yes it will be a bit of a pain reinstalling all your apps, but at least the phone will perform perfectly.

eeloe wrote: »
    You wiped it, and the restored from iCloud, of the buggy back up.

Set it up as a new Day 1 phone and your issues will be gone. Yes it will be a bit of a pain reinstalling all your apps, but at least the phone will perform perfectly.

I'm actually doing this as I speak, just waiting on it to make an iCloud backup, however what will happen to all my photos then? Can I set it up using the same Apple ID or will I need a new Apple ID?

Planned obsolescence if definitely a thing, if I still had my iPhone 6 and this happened then I'd be more understanding as it is a 3 year old phone and that would be more understandable, however my old iPhone 6 was running fine on iOS 10.3.3 the same way that my iPhone 7 was and my iPhone 7 should run on iOS 11 without issue but it isnt.

However the upgrade to iOS 7 has been an unmitigated disaster for me and the Phone is stuttery and full of lag, waiting for apps to open, apps crashing and it doing its own thing like switching on Bluetooth when I keep it off etc. Apps saying its not connected to the internet etc.

I don't get why people are singing the praise of iOS when it has been blasted as the worst release of iOS ever, reddit is full of stories of this happening and Apple should be customizing the releases for the specific model and this reminds me of the carnage Windows Vista caused around 10 years ago when only very highly specced high end machines could run it properly. Microsoft responded with Windows 7 the best operating software Microsoft ever made and I keep my updates turned off in that also.

Before I upgraded I had the iPhone 7 running the latest version of iOS 11 and the only issue I had was a drop in battery life. It ran exactly the same as before and everything was as smooth as ever. It’s either your specific setup is causing the issue or your identical iPhone is having problems that mine isn’t.

I also still disagree with the forced obsolescence thing, as greedy as Apple has become I don’t see how they could pull such a thing off. The developers alone wouldn’t stand for releasing intentionally buggy software. It would of leaked out, especially today where they can’t even keep their products a secret.

As the above poster mentioned above, do a proper fresh setup. I always setup a new phone from fresh, so that’s probably why I never have any problems, I have done since the iPhone 4. I like to chear out any left over bloat.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

DubDJ wrote: »
    Before I upgraded I had the iPhone 7 running the latest version of iOS 11 and the only issue I had was a drop in battery life. It ran exactly the same as before and everything was as smooth as ever. It’s either your specific setup is causing the issue or your identical iPhone is having problems that mine isn’t.

I also still disagree with the forced obsolescence thing, as greedy as Apple has become I don’t see how they could pull such a thing off. The developers alone wouldn’t stand for releasing intentionally buggy software. It would of leaked out, especially today where they can’t even keep their products a secret.

As the above poster mentioned above, do a proper fresh setup. I always setup a new phone from fresh, so that’s probably why I never have any problems, I have done since the iPhone 4. I like to chear out any left over bloat.

And I have a 7 and haven't experienced any issues, not even the battery problem. So many buggy apps out there, every iPhone behaves differently.

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭JonMac

My iPhone 6s is running fine on iOS 11

• Advertisement

Put the phone into DFU mode, restored and then set it up as a new phone, I had to install every app fresh from the App store but the phone still had my contacts and photos and wifi settings etc. Anyway its back to the jitterfest and its so very stuttery and slow and unresponsive, there is no fluidity like there was on iOS 10.3.3 where things were fast snappy and just worked. iOS 11 is a total POS. I'm demanding Apple replace the handset and I won't be accepting any phone which comes with iOS 11 out of the back as iOS is not fit for purpose.

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,037 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

Put the phone into DFU mode, restored and then set it up as a new phone, I had to install every app fresh from the App store but the phone still had my contacts and photos and wifi settings etc. Anyway its back to the jitterfest and its so very stuttery and slow and unresponsive, there is no fluidity like there was on iOS 10.3.3 where things were fast snappy and just worked. iOS 11 is a total POS. I'm demanding Apple replace the handset and I won't be accepting any phone which comes with iOS 11 out of the back as iOS is not fit for purpose.

Good luck with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

iOS has been perfect for 99.99% of those that have upgraded. I’ve had zero issues. Claiming the OS is not fit for purpose will get you nowhere as that statement is not true.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,484 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

People always say this about Apple but without anything to back it up.

I have had iPhones last 4 years without any serious issue apart from batteries.

I have an iPod from 2005 that still works fine.

Do you really think Apple are going to make one year old iPhone 7s obsolete to force people to upgrade to the 8 or X?

Your outrage here is OTT and I get the impression that you're restoring your phone as not many people are having the same issue as you so it's not a proven phone issue.

Apple remoted my phone and I set it up yesterday as a new phone however what I didn't do was restart it after the fresh install and now everything has settled down thankfully. I don't consider it as zippy or as fluid as it was but its a hell of alot better than how it was acting up since the upgrade. I'll never again take an iOS update after this however and it has totally soured my relationship with apple I must say.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

11.2 public beta 5 is out

• Registered Users Posts: 10,020 ✭✭✭✭dodzy

peteeeed wrote: »
    11.2 public beta 5 is out

I'm on Beta 4. Battery issue resolved for me with Beta 3 but it still feels laggy as f**k. Scrolling through contacts / messages is stuttering like mad along with other laggy in-app bugs. All offending apps on latest updates. Never had an issue before 11. 6S + 64gb. Reluctant to hit the button to update but no doubt I will before end of the day.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeloe

Everyone that's on the beta program, are you reporting the bugs to apple as you find them?

eeloe wrote: »
    Everyone that's on the beta program, are you reporting the bugs to apple as you find them?
    Yes via this link

• Registered Users Posts: 28,484 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

dodzy wrote: »
    Yes via this link

There's also a feedback app which is handier.

• Advertisement

murpho999 wrote: »
    There's also a feedback app which is handier.

Yeah I know that but I like to be as descriptive as possible so PC suits me better.

On beta 5 and all good so far. Definitely more pep with my hamdset anyway.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

11.2 beta 6 is out! It seems to be the GM so official release is probably a week or so away.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

Bar to indicate notification centre on lock screen and carrier name not scrolling on lock screen anymore… on the iPhone X 11.2 is ugly :(

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

The official release of 11.2 (which is the same as beta 6) is out now as well. Apple rushed it out a couple of hours ago in response to the latest date bug which causes a crash loop. This struck all iPhones running 11.1 with any time-based local notifications enabled at midnight last night. A catastrophic bug, one of the worst Apple has ever had.

If you phone is affected you will need to disable notifications for the app in question and update to 11.2. If you don't know what app uses time-based local notifications (usually a daily reminder), then you will have to disable all notifications manually (will take a while, especially with the phone crashing every 10 seconds) or change the date back to yesterday. Be warned that if you do the latter you may screw up your calendar, messages, health tracking and various other functions.

I’d really like Apple to take a step back from the usual feature release this year and focus on a stability/maintenance update. Far too many instances of bugs this time around that I can’t focusing on compatibility and making the OS a bit more consistent would be the better option.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

11.2 officially out

Apple seems to have screwed up a few minor things with 11.2 on the X.

Weird Haptics with reachability and control centre.

No more scrolling of long service provider names (well it does scroll after a reboot but stops again after the second time you enter the home screen)

No more animated signal strength meter when searching.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,941 ✭✭✭Marty Bird

mad muffin wrote: »
    Apple seems to have screwed up a few minor things with 11.2 on the X.

Weird Haptics with reachability and control centre.

No more scrolling of long service provider names (well it does scroll after a reboot but stops again after the second time you enter the home screen)

No more animated signal strength meter when searching.

Have they changed the soft reset ? It was a quick press of the up then down volume button press the side button, when I do it now it just goes slide to power off.

🌞6.02kWp⚡️3.01kWp South/East⚡️3.01kWp West

Marty Bird wrote: »
    Have they changed the soft reset ? It was a quick press of the up then down volume button press the side button, when I do it now it just goes slide to power off.

No. Should be the same. I just tried it on my X. You have to be quick though.

• Advertisement

Keep holding after the slide to power off appears. It rebooted for me after that.

Advertisement