Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

iOS 11 - Developer, public beta and official release

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,941 ✭✭✭Marty Bird

DubDJ wrote: »
    Keep holding after the slide to power off appears. It rebooted for me after that.

Bingo worked for me there.

🌞6.02kWp⚡️3.01kWp South/East⚡️3.01kWp West

• Registered Users Posts: 2,455 ✭✭✭FGR

After continuously delaying upgrading to ios11 i mistakenly took the plunge and have had nothing but problems on my iPhone 6.

The phone hangs, lags and glitches like crazy. Apps that open randomly disappear to the home screen and cannot be opened without a soft reset.

Granted 11.2 is a little better. I did a full reset with it but a lot of slowdown and glitches persist. Is this one of Apples worst updates ? I never had such problems with iOS 8,9 or 10. I wish I could drop back to 10.3.3.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,773 ✭✭✭ablelocks

came in to check if it's safe yet to upgrade....wanders off again to wait for 11.3 or 12 even.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,484 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

I really don't get how people have so many problems.

I ran the buggy beta 11 on an Iphone 6 without any major unexpected issues. Then ran full version without issues.

Then upgraded to iPhone 8 plus and now on iOS 11.2 and the phone is running fine and is smooth.

People in my own circle, work and social, all upgraded and having zero issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,541 ✭✭✭duridian

New to the world of iOS and just got a new iPad Pro 10.5 that I received on Monday. 

In my ignorance, without checking any forums or the like, I powered up, set up Apple ID, etc. and saw in the settings that an update to 11.2 was available which I downloaded and installed before doing any further stuff. 
    Simply because that was what I've always done with phones and tablets that I've owned down the years.

Think the factory version was 11.0.x or something like that and i did not to be honest try out anything beyond initial boot setup WiFi and Apple ID.

The first problem I noticed after a while using the iPad was that the weather widget would not load at all. Not to big a deal i thought and installed the Weather Channel app only to find its widget also doesn't work.

But that may have been just a foreshadowing of a bigger problem that i shortly later realised. None of the location services work on my iPad. Not by WiFi or by GPS. I have tried it outdoors in hope of GPS signals snapping it into action. No joy. Didn't matter what app, Apple Maps, Google, Safari, TG4 Player. Nothing could read my location.

Went through every permutation of turn this off and on, reset this or that as advised by various sources online. No avail. My iPad could still be in Argentina for all it knows.

This is an insanely poor show for any brand new item but to even imagine that this is happening on an Apple device costing 750 quid is beyond crazy.

It's not so much the ability to use the iPad as a sat nav or whatever that i am really annoyed by, one of the considerations is that there are now certain apps such as the TG4 Player that won't work properly for live streaming because it can't see that I am in Ireland and geo restricts me.

But a much worse implication is how it affects security features such as the "Find my iPad" thing, which is obviously completely dependent on the iPad being able to tell it's location. This functionality is non existent for me.

On the advice of Apple Support I used iTunes to download and factory restore the software on my iPad. This also made no difference.

Before this, I was seriously considering going all iOS and investing in an iPhone in a couple of months time, but if this is the standard of their software then I may very well stay with Android for my phone. This level of malfunction in supposedly stable, release software is a far cry from what I expected of the much vaunted Apple.

I just wondered if anyone else had encountered a similar problem on their iPhone or iPad with ios11?

Is such a shame add the hardware is gorgeous, and i even quite like the UI, but these software problems of iOS 11 have left me a rather unimpressed new iPad user.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭arch_stanton

duridian wrote: »
    New to the world of iOS and just got a new iPad Pro 10.5 that I received on Monday. 

In my ignorance, without checking any forums or the like, I powered up, set up Apple ID, etc. and saw in the settings that an update to 11.2 was available which I downloaded and installed before doing any further stuff. 
    Simply because that was what I've always done with phones and tablets that I've owned down the years.

Think the factory version was 11.0.x or something like that and i did not to be honest try out anything beyond initial boot setup WiFi and Apple ID.

The first problem I noticed after a while using the iPad was that the weather widget would not load at all. Not to big a deal i thought and installed the Weather Channel app only to find its widget also doesn't work.

But that may have been just a foreshadowing of a bigger problem that i shortly later realised. None of the location services work on my iPad. Not by WiFi or by GPS. I have tried it outdoors in hope of GPS signals snapping it into action. No joy. Didn't matter what app, Apple Maps, Google, Safari, TG4 Player. Nothing could read my location.

Went through every permutation of turn this off and on, reset this or that as advised by various sources online. No avail. My iPad could still be in Argentina for all it knows.

This is an insanely poor show for any brand new item but to even imagine that this is happening on an Apple device costing 750 quid is beyond crazy.

It's not so much the ability to use the iPad as a sat nav or whatever that i am really annoyed by, one of the considerations is that there are now certain apps such as the TG4 Player that won't work properly for live streaming because it can't see that I am in Ireland and geo restricts me.

But a much worse implication is how it affects security features such as the "Find my iPad" thing, which is obviously completely dependent on the iPad being able to tell it's location. This functionality is non existent for me.

On the advice of Apple Support I used iTunes to download and factory restore the software on my iPad. This also made no difference.

Before this, I was seriously considering going all iOS and investing in an iPhone in a couple of months time, but if this is the standard of their software then I may very well stay with Android for my phone. This level of malfunction in supposedly stable, release software is a far cry from what I expected of the much vaunted Apple.

I just wondered if anyone else had encountered a similar problem on their iPhone or iPad with ios11?

Is such a shame add the hardware is gorgeous, and i even quite like the UI, but these software problems of iOS 11 have left me a rather unimpressed new iPad user.

Maybe there's a hardware problem with a dodgy GPS chip or antenna? From the steps you've described it looks like you've done everything possible to fix a software problem. If you upgraded directly to 11.2 without checking using it first (perfectly natural and not trying to blame you) it's possible the GPS never worked out of the box. If this is a brand new unit I'd expect Apple to be replacing it if GPS didn't work after a clean ios installation

Maybe there's a hardware problem with a dodgy GPS chip or antenna? From the steps you've described it looks like you've done everything possible to fix a software problem. If you upgraded directly to 11.2 without checking using it first (perfectly natural and not trying to blame you) it's possible the GPS never worked out of the box. If this is a brand new unit I'd expect Apple to be replacing it if GPS didn't work after a clean ios installation

Thanks. I thought that may be a possiblity too, but what makes me suspect it's down to the software problems is that WiFi is working perfectly as regards connecting to router for browsing, downloading and general internet use, but the location services don't appear to be able to figure out location by WiFi either. Not even to the degree that it can tell what country iPad is in.

I'll probably give another bell to support crowd again later this evening and tell them of my latest attempts and lack of success.

Worst case scenario I guess they might exchange the iPad, but I'm worried will the same thing happen again, if, as I suspect it is some bugs in iOS rearing their head on a particularly unfortunate manner.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

Thanks. I thought that may be a possiblity too, but what makes me suspect it's down to the software problems is that WiFi is working perfectly as regards connecting to router for browsing, downloading and general internet use, but the location services don't appear to be able to figure out location by WiFi either. Not even to the degree that it can tell what country iPad is in.

I'll probably give another bell to support crowd again later this evening and tell them of my latest attempts and lack of success.

Worst case scenario I guess they might exchange the iPad, but I'm worried will the same thing happen again, if, as I suspect it is some bugs in iOS rearing their head on a particularly unfortunate manner.

Did you turn off location services. Restart the iPad then turn location services back on?

You’ll find it in settings
    Privacy
    Location services
    Toggle off

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Sounds like a hardware or settings problem. iOS 11.2 is a major improvement on 11.0. No reason not to upgrade if you are already on 11.

Yes. Turned location service off, rebooted, toggled back on. Did it and other tricks like resetting location and privacy, resetting network settings Same problem persists unfortunately, no matter what I try.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,484 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Yes. Turned location service off, rebooted, toggled back on. Did it and other tricks like resetting location and privacy, resetting network settings Same problem persists unfortunately, no matter what I try.

I really think you should contact Apple as it's a new product and should be right.

I would recommend Apple chat as they are very helpful there.

I don't believe it's anything to do with iOS.

Yes. I think the way things are looking that is what I'll have to do. Thanks for the feedback guys, I appreciate it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

11.2.1 is out

• Registered Users Posts: 60,706 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

11 is a complete fcuking disaster from Apple imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,100 ✭✭✭The Ayatolla

Does anyone else have issues when moving from Wifi to 4G with Vodafone? It shows the 4G icon and 4-5 bars but no connection.

I have to tap Airplane mode on and off to "wake it up" so to speak. Happens when I leave work every day. Very annoying.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,809 ✭✭✭Mr Velo

Does anyone else have issues when moving from Wifi to 4G with Vodafone? It shows the 4G icon and 4-5 bars but no connection.

I have to tap Airplane mode on and off to "wake it up" so to speak. Happens when I leave work every day. Very annoying.
    Nope - never happens on my 7 plus.

11.2.5 public beta 1 out

• Registered Users Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭brophs

Checked on my wife's work phone (iPhone 7 32 GB) and, no, that doesn't seem to be happening. Walking in and out of wifi areas seems to lead to a seamless switch from what I can tell.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,455 ✭✭✭FGR

Just downloaded 11.2.1 - will be interesting to see are any more of the bugs dealt with for older phones.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

strange thing is my phone doesn't pick up that update but plugging it into itunes does.
    And its downloading the entire file...it probably doesn't realise I'm running the latest beta

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

Big issues with bugs with my iPad Pro on iOS 11. After multiple chats, reinstalls and finally a blank slate it has been stable for 24hrs. Sending me a 3m cable as a good will gesture. We’ll see whether it lasts though

Primary problems:
    1. iPad smart case makes the charging cable connected sound every time it’s opened or closed (not a hardware fault apparently)
    2. The dock keeps disappearing or moving and going half off the screen. The only thing that fixes it is a restart but it happened almost every day

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

11.2.5 beta released.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭Doltanian

11.2.5 beta 3 is out

iOS 11.2.2 is out The software update highlights security improvements

11.2.5 plublic beta 5 is out

Beta 6 is out

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭Gwildor

Beta 7 out. It’s a big one too... 2.2gb!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,100 ✭✭✭The Ayatolla

Any big differences?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭Gwildor

Any big differences?

Using the X... I’ve not noticed any differences at all, only that it feels a little slicker. Though I did install it over night and not had much time to play around with it.

Advertisement