Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

iOS 11 - Developer, public beta and official release

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭IamMetaldave

gizmo81 wrote: »
    The new keyboard flick is great.

It really is! Such a simple idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

I have it installed on my iPad Air. Seems ok, my iTunes Match won’t sync up, that’s only gripe. I love the new keyboard.

Is that existing music in your library or new added music , my match is working on my iPad 2017

• Registered Users Posts: 2,461 ✭✭✭ibFoxer

Today was REASONABLE for battery, dropped to 69% around midday, put it on charge back up to 84% and its now sitting at 49%. There was some music via Spotify to the Beats, and quite a few calls and texts, with some browsing on Facebook etc.

My watch has suffered greatly today however, down to 19%, and i noticed that when i received a call it wouldn't ring on the watch until after i answered, so I'm assuming there's something buggy with the connection.

In previous years there hasn't been any watch public beta, I think because you're screwed if anything goes wrong and the watch has to go back to apple to be fixed

My battery life on the 7+ is still awful. Here in work I have to keep it plugged into my laptop just to keep the battery at the same level. Even though it's got the charging icon the battery percentage won't increase unless I put it into low power mode.

Photos are still the main suspect. I have a lot and on the battery activity Photos shows at 47% for the last 24 hours.

On my phone under iPhone storage theres a recommendation to optimise photos, i wonder is that what's happening you?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,484 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

I'm having trouble with notifications. Sliding or tapping them seems to do nothing at all.

I'm sure it will be fixed in future updates.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭IamMetaldave

peteeeed wrote: »
    Is that existing music in your library or new added music , my match is working on my iPad 2017

Existing library.. I’ll have another look to see can I figure it out. Good to know you have it working ����

- fixed - Wrong Apple ID signed in for music ��

• Registered Users Posts: 888 ✭✭✭morritty

Got an email, iOS 11 public beta is available now

morritty wrote: »
    Got an email, iOS 11 public beta is available now

Yes, read above, a lot of us have it!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,684 ✭✭✭waynegalway

Hi guys. What kinda size is the beta download?

• Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭arch_stanton

I think it was about 1.9 GB.

It took me about 2 hours do download. It was right after release and my wifi is terrible so that didn't help

• Advertisement

I think it was about 1.9 GB.

It took me about 2 hours do download. It was right after release and my wifi is terrible so that didn't help

Thansk, just downloading now.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

Battery life has got a lot better today.

Mr.S wrote: »
    Has anyone managed to downgrade from the public beta? I can't seem to get back onto regular 10.3.2 on my iPhone - I can only downgrade back to the beta 4 of 10.3.3 - no idea what the problem is.

I could downgrade fine from 11 Beta 2 but not on this public beta release.

Anyone had any luck? What process did you use?

AFAIK the only downgrade option is to 10.3.3

• Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

I'm generally bug free but getting a lot of bugs with the rotation. If I open an app that goes to landscape when I have lock on portrait, Safari will be locked in landscape when I exit. The wallpaper rotates on the lock screen too, and the notification drop down will come from the left rather than the top in landscape.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,100 ✭✭✭The Ayatolla

When's the general release expected? A week before the iPhone 8?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,429 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Ripping through my iPod Touch's battery. Atrocious.

When's the general release expected? A week before the iPhone 8?

September, always around the time jus after the iPhone launch keynotes.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,100 ✭✭✭The Ayatolla

Can't use BETA iOS anymore after my company blocked the use of it with the Exchange email service. Doh! Used to love having the extra features months before release.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭Tony H

ibFoxer wrote: »
    AFAIK the only downgrade option is to 10.3.3
    I had the same problem ,the solution is to downgrade to 10.3.3 beta first , then downgrade to 10.3.2 from that ,I had to do it that way to fix a bootloop that downgrading straight to 10.3.2 caused ,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭Tony H

Mr.S wrote: »
    So you went from public beta to 10.3.3 beta and then to the latest 10.3.2? Can I ask which apple profile you use?

Not using any at the moment
    I used the developer profile to get beta 11 though

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,429 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Podcasts app won't respond to my car's controls. In iOS 10, it would play episodes by the order in which they were downloaded. This was grand as no faffing about. If Planet Money downloaded on Monday, it then move to an episoe from Sunday and so on. I didn't really need to use the 'Up Next', feature. In 11, it doesn't seem to want to progress through the episodes one to another. On Monday, it finished one then there was nothing. I was early so had time to pull into a garage and start the next one. Same story this morning, but I couldn't do anything as I was on the M50. I think I have use the 'Play Later' feature which just seems unnecessary. Why couldn't they leave it as it was?

Podcasts app won't respond to my car's controls. In iOS 10, it would play episodes by the order in which they were downloaded. This was grand as no faffing about. If Planet Money downloaded on Monday, it then move to an episoe from Sunday and so on. I didn't really need to use the 'Up Next', feature. In 11, it doesn't seem to want to progress through the episodes one to another. On Monday, it finished one then there was nothing. I was early so had time to pull into a garage and start the next one. Same story this morning, but I couldn't do anything as I was on the M50. I think I have use the 'Play Later' feature which just seems unnecessary. Why couldn't they leave it as it was?

Downloading and adding to play next or play later works well for me. The app plays the next podcast when one ends without me having to prompt it.

I’m a bit disappointed overall with the latest version of the podcast app, though. I use Pocketcast, but I was hoping to go native with podcasts in iOS 11. From an interface and usability point of view, pocketcast is still way ahead of the Apple podcast app. One trick Apple missed was being able to show a badge on the podcasts you follow to let you know if there’s a new episode. Pocketcast does that very well. But you shouldn’t have to pay for a third party app to do something so basic. Maybe Apple will tweak before final release.

Thanks Wayne. How are you finding the downloads side of it? In iOS 10, I'd simply refresh my subscriptions and the downloads would work away, 5 episodes in 3 minutes, etc. With 11 you seem to have click the little cloud with the downward arrow rather than the downloads working automatically.

More car related grumblings today, unfortunately. No doubt I'm part to blame for some of this, but it's annoying. 4 minutes of the BBC's From Our Own Correspondent left, grand I'll line up another (Wittertainment, 2 hours) to play straight after. Used the 'play later' option. Leave the work car park, FOOC ends - next episode kicks in? Nope. Don't like the next part, a little bit of time at the red lights, I try to get the device from my jacket pocket - don't unlock it, but can access the play button on the controls. Then it plays. Away I go. Not a huge fan of the new controls layout, tbh. Seems hit and miss as to when it plays which app is running and what it displays can be wrong too. Re play later, etc, just trying this now and it's saying "After playing this do you want to play the 2 episodes you've added to Up Next?" Bit confusing as earlier it said 4, so has it forgotten the 4 earlier, or what?

Episode info not displaying at all on my car's screen is sometimes another issue. Not in the car for commuting tomorrow. Will see how things go.

I also bought Pocketcast. I want to give iOS a chance to sort things out before jumping ship. That, and I've a good few episodes saved are in the native app.

Thanks Wayne. How are you finding the downloads side of it? In iOS 10, I'd simply refresh my subscriptions and the downloads would work away, 5 episodes in 3 minutes, etc. With 11 you seem to have click the little cloud with the downward arrow rather than the downloads working automatically.

More car related grumblings today, unfortunately. No doubt I'm part to blame for some of this, but it's annoying. 4 minutes of the BBC's From Our Own Correspondent left, grand I'll line up another (Wittertainment, 2 hours) to play straight after. Used the 'play later' option. Leave the work car park, FOOC ends - next episode kicks in? Nope. Don't like the next part, a little bit of time at the red lights, I try to get the device from my jacket pocket - don't unlock it, but can access the play button on the controls. Then it plays. Away I go. Not a huge fan of the new controls layout, tbh. Seems hit and miss as to when it plays which app is running and what it displays can be wrong too. Re play later, etc, just trying this now and it's saying "After playing this do you want to play the 2 episodes you've added to Up Next?" Bit confusing as earlier it said 4, so has it forgotten the 4 earlier, or what?

Episode info not displaying at all on my car's screen is sometimes another issue. Not in the car for commuting tomorrow. Will see how things go.

I also bought Pocketcast. I want to give iOS a chance to sort things out before jumping ship. That, and I've a good few episodes saved are in the native app.

TBH, I deleted the native podcast app yesterday evening and just went back to Pocketcast. I’ll download the native app to try it out again when the final version of iOS 11 is out, because I’d really like it to work for me, but after nearly a year of using Pocketcast, the current version of the native one is just too unusable.

Pretty sure you can import your feed from the native app to Pocketcast so you don’t have to manually resubscribe to them all. Why not do that to catch your new episodes and just use the native app until you’ve listened to all your downloads?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,176 ✭✭✭vinnycoyne

I hope y'all are reporting these issues directly to Apple too.

vinnycoyne wrote: »
    I hope y'all are reporting these issues directly to Apple too.

Yep, although mine is more a feature request than a bug, so I'd say my reports are well down the pecking order!

• Registered Users Posts: 888 ✭✭✭morritty

peteeeed wrote: »

Not sure what that's got to do with iOS 11 haha

Good news though.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

morritty wrote: »
    Not sure what that's got to do with iOS 11 haha

Good news though.

haha oooops

• Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

Ugh, my music app crashed while downloading some albums, and now it won't start up. I think I'm going to have to revert back to iOS 10.3.2 (if I can) as this is getting fairly buggy for me. A lot of minor issues, but it's death by a thousand cuts at this stage.

• Advertisement

The one big issue I have found is the camera not opening, either in the app, in an app (WhatsApp, iMessage, etc) or to try and open the app from the home screen (swipe right)

Camera doesn’t change from the initial black screen and none of the “buttons” work. A restart of the phone sorts it but it’s a bit irking. Anyone else come across the issue?

Advertisement