Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

iOS 11 - Developer, public beta and official release

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,684 ✭✭✭waynegalway

Patww79 wrote: »
    How much is iOS 11 really going to revolutionise the iPad? I've never had an iDevice before but just as I was about to lay down over a grand on a new laptop I've been hearing a lot of buzz about the new iPad pro when 11 lands. Now the videos on the new features look great but I'm very wary of apple marketing bollocks and they're the masters of it, but from longer standing users experience is it likely to be a good buy? What I have in mind is the 10.5 Pro with the 256 HD in WiFi and 4G with the keyboard.

Also, I'd like to keep all my services Google (mail, maps, calendar, etc). Is it easy enough to do on an iPad? I know Google put a lot into their iOS apps but I've no experience of it these days.

If there's a better thread for the latter question then point me to it and I'll post it there instead, cheers.

It depends what you want to use it for. If you intend to use it as a laptop replacement, then it's unlikely to tick every box over time. If you want great productivity, proper laptop functionality and a touch screen, have a look at a Surface Pro. As a long time user of Apple products, I was skeptical when I got a Surface Pro through work, although in the few months since I've had it, I've been seriously impressed.

I'm a current iPhone and Apple Watch user, but I have no desire to get an iPad any time soon. I had two in the past, but until the Surface Pro kicks the bucket, there is nothing compelling enough about an iPad (even the Pro) to make me get one.

Having said that, if you already have an iPhone and you know exactly what the possibilities and limitations of iOS are, and you're still happy that an iPad will do the job for you, then go and get one and be happy. I'm just putting it out there that the set up you're after will set you back, what, about €1300? At that price bracket, you have to be happy that what you get will be up to the job. I'd suggest having a look at the Surface just to make an informed choice. Of course, if built-in 4G is a must-have, then an iPad Pro is going to be your best bet.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,359 ✭✭✭DubDJ

I personally think iOS 11 is a big leap forward with helping the iPad become a laptop replacement. Combine that with the new iPad Pro 10.5" and you have an unbelievable device. It really comes down to what you want to use it for. It still has it's limitations, even with iOS 11. If those limitations don't affect you then it could be an ideal option.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

Patww79 wrote: »
    Surface would be out though, a properly specd one is about €2500

That's true, mine was invoiced at about €2,200 including an educational discount, but the spec is unreal. For a spec similar to an iPad Pro, though, the price is well below that. The biggest drawback for you would be the lack of 4G built-in.

I use both MS and Google services and apps across all my devices, and I'm happy with what each offers, so I'm not sure about the MS vs Google debate. Unless there's a really specific app/service you need from Google that doesn't run on all devices? I'm pretty sure Google stuff will run on anything, though, so I wouldn't let that sway you. You don't have to use MS stuff on a Surface if you don't want to. It's a fully fledged PC, so you can do what you want on it. Windows 10 is a massive improvement over the older stuff, but I know this is an Apple forum so I won't go on about it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,875 ✭✭✭deadanonymau5

Potus wrote: »
    Are you sure it’s 10 hours of actual usage? I charged mine up fully and let it sit for an hour and it read 20 mins usage and 1 hour standby. So even though I didn’t use it something in the background was using it even though I had force quit all apps with airplane mode on.

Maybe not after all. Ill keep an eye on it...

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭Potus

Maybe not after all. Ill keep an eye on it...

ðŸ‘🻠Wouldn’t get too hung up on it tbh. I like ios11 and the battery usage will settle down in due course.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,323 ✭✭✭jay93

The latest beta is terrible for battery on my iphone 6 its dying quicker than the other betas. I think it should be fixed by the next beta.

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭Potus

Beta 6 released. Not sure if I ll try it yet til I read up on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,484 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

jay93 wrote: »
    The latest beta is terrible for battery on my iphone 6 its dying quicker than the other betas. I think it should be fixed by the next beta.

Opposite for me, Battery was awful on other betas and has improved with each one.
    Potus wrote: »
    Beta 6 released. Not sure if I ll try it yet til I read up on it.

I have installed it and it's fine.

Betas are getting more and more stable now as we get closer to launch.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,323 ✭✭✭jay93

The latest beta is better on battery life for me. Beta 6 was bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

Beta 7 incoming later
    Devolvoper Beta 8 just released

PB7 just out. That was fast.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeloe

Installed pb7

Hopefully it gives back some battery life, pb6 was a little tough.

Will report back!

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭Gwildor

Is the MyVodafone app working for anyone on iOS11? Hasn’t worked for me for the last 3 beta

Not a great experience on PB7 with battery on my 6.

Hard to know if it’s the beta of just the age of the phone, but today definitely didn’t seem as good as recent battery performance.

Fully charged coming off the charger around 8am this morning. Usual workload, nothing extravagant and no GPS usage at all today. It dropped steadily to about 20%, held there for a while, dropped rapidly to 8%, held there for a while, then dies suddenly while still showing 8%. Plugged it into charger, and it came back on showing 12%. Altogether about 9 hours standby and just a shade over 4 of usage.

Could be the beta, could be the battery itself, or could be a combination of the two where the battery level indicator is showing an inaccurate level.

Anyhow, PB7 seems pretty slick otherwise, so I’ll do another couple of charge cycles to see if anything changes.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭IamMetaldave

Gwildor wrote: »
    Is the MyVodafone app working for anyone on iOS11? Hasn’t worked for me for the last 3 beta

Nope. It crashes, but when you double click the home button to see apps you can see the opening page of the app.

sept 12 is supposedly the date for the next apple event so we are fast approaching the final release

• Registered Users Posts: 4,100 ✭✭✭The Ayatolla

peteeeed wrote: »
    sept 12 is supposedly the date for the next apple event so we are fast approaching the final release

Is that when they'll announce the new iPhone devices too?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,359 ✭✭✭DubDJ

Is that when they'll announce the new iPhone devices too?

Yeah, three new iPhones, small updates to the Apple Watch and a 4K Apple TV are all rumoured for September 12th. The official release of iOS 11 will usually be released the following Friday after the event too.

• Advertisement

PB 8 just dropped

Luckily, PB 7 was brutal for battery.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

finding the beta's very draining on the battery.
    Worse is when using sat nav on your phone a 2.1amh charger is no longer enough to charge the iphone 7 plus while using it. Before my phone would charge no bother...now it just maintains the current charge.
    Still better than beta 4 which drained the battery regardless.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

Beta 9 is available.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭IamMetaldave

I installed PB9 this morning on my 7 and seems to be a serious battery drain somewhere.. Did the checks in the battery section to see what's happening but nothing odd jumping out :( Will give it 24hrs and see what's up in the am.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,484 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

I have had about €7 charges on my bill for texting 00447786205094 last month about 49 times.

I then remembered at the time that I was being asked all the time to activate iMessage and Facetime and did not realise it would incur a charge.

Anybody else get this? Should I chase Apple for the refund. Meteor/Eir saying it's nothing to do with them.

11 gm available now

• Registered Users Posts: 2,875 ✭✭✭deadanonymau5

peteeeed wrote: »
    11 gm available now

Time to unenroll for me...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,100 ✭✭✭The Ayatolla

Whens iOS 11 released to public? Sept 19?

• Advertisement

1.9gb? I was expecting 30-50mb like the last two betas. Id have thought the GM would be a small tweak to the previous beta. I’ll have to wait for WiFi at work to get this!

Advertisement