Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

iOS 11 - Developer, public beta and official release

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

I downloaded a dev cert for the Watch now, since Watch OS4 GM is available for dev accounts. Took FOREVER to install, but seems fairly similar. Some new faces, and they've removed the option to directly control music from the watch (You can only start music that you have synced, not what's on the phone, though a Now Playing option will show up when music is playing on your phone)

• Registered Users Posts: 25,455 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Whens iOS 11 released to public? Sept 19?

Yes - https://www.apple.com/ios/ios-11/

• Registered Users Posts: 28,484 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Have it installed now and I'm constantly being asked to actvate iMessage. Cost me €7 on the betas so don't want to make that mistake again.

Anybody any ideas?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

I signed up the Beta and am now on the GM iOS 11 release. However I think I’d like to go back to the iOS 10.3.3 as I think my battery is suffering with iOS 11.

What’s the best way to get back to iOS 10? Delete the Beta profile?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,684 ✭✭✭waynegalway

Anyone else annoyed with the way Control Centre works?

Particularly the WiFi and Bluetooth toggles.

I find that toggling WiFi off in CC leaves the antenna still actively looking for a connection instead of just turning it off. I know this isn’t a bug, and it seems to be the way Apple want this to work.

But it seems like a backwards step, and is actually causing noticeable battery drain. In CC in iOS 10, toggling WiFi would fully shut it down, which was exactly what I wanted to be able to do with that switch.

I wonder how people will react after the official release and this becomes more widely known. If it causes battery drain for others, I really hope Apple can fix this so that the CC toggles do what they used to in older versions.

Is there any reason why the toggles *should* work the way they currently do in iOS 11?

I do like the new CC overall, but the BT and WiFi toggles just don’t seem to make sense.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭Potus

Yes the WiFi toggle always on is driving me nuts. Can’t seem to disable it at all :(

Potus wrote: »
    Yes the WiFi toggle always on is driving me nuts. Can’t seem to disable it at all :(

It actually adds steps to switching WiFi and BT off, compared to the CC in iOS 10. We have to go into Settings to do it now. Just seems odd that they made it more awkward and didn’t do anything about it throughout the beta phase.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,359 ✭✭✭DubDJ

Some of the actions have a 3D Touch method. Have you tried using that to see if there's more options?

DubDJ wrote: »
    Some of the actions have a 3D Touch method. Have you tried using that to see if there's more options?

I have a 6, so no 3D Touch. Long pressing on some of the icons in the new CC does bring up some more info, though, yeah. I’d have thought that a toggle like WiFi is so fundamental that it shouldn’t require 3D Touch. The toggle worked fine without it on previous iOS.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Disabling Wifi and Bluetooth in control centre now disconnects and disables auto-login temporarily rather than turning off the antenna. This was probably a necessary change given that many users now use Airpods, Apple Watch, Continuity, Airdrop, etc. The energy saving from having the antenna switched off is minuscule on newer devices anyway.

• Advertisement

Disabling Wifi and Bluetooth in control centre now disconnects and disables auto-login temporarily rather than turning off the antenna. This was probably a necessary change given that many users now use Airpods, Apple Watch, Continuity, Airdrop, etc. The energy saving from having the antenna switched off is minuscule on newer devices anyway.

Perhaps, but not in my experience. With it on but not connected (ie looking for a connection) I can see the battery dropping before my eyes. As soon as I go into settings and properly turn it off, battery drain returns to a more normal rate.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeloe

I've not really used my phone too much today, and i have to say i'm noticing a bit of a sting in the battery.

Granted it's been off the charger since 7am, but i'm currently at 70%, with very little use.

eeloe wrote: »
    I've not really used my phone too much today, and i have to say i'm noticing a bit of a sting in the battery.

Granted it's been off the charger since 7am, but i'm currently at 70%, with very little use.

That's probably about normal, though, isn't it? 3-4% per hour on standby with the radios turned on?

I usually turn off WiFi, BT and Mobile Data going to bed, and with those turned off my 6 has about 1-2% drain per hour on average. If you have the radios turned on, 70% after 10 hours seems about right to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,434 ✭✭✭embraer170

Has anyone noticed a big decrease in storage used?

On my 64GB 6S+, I went from 3GB free to 10GB free. My mailbox seems to have gone down by 1GB and photos by a few GB.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,359 ✭✭✭DubDJ

Would it be because of the new photo and video codecs reducing file sizes? It probably only applies to new photos and videos but other than that there shouldn't be any massive differences.

Maybe some of the apps have dumped their cache files. Every now and then I'll reinstall apps with large caches.

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭Gwildor

I just went to unenroll my 7 Plus from the beta program, but I can’t seem to find the beta profile in settings-general to delete it? Is it missing from anyone else’s settings? I’ve unenrolled my device on the beta website, but still need to delete the profile

• Registered Users Posts: 18,919 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,875 ✭✭✭deadanonymau5

Gwildor wrote: »
    I just went to unenroll my 7 Plus from the beta program, but I can’t seem to find the beta profile in settings-general to delete it? Is it missing from anyone else’s settings? I’ve unenrolled my device on the beta website, but still need to delete the profile

Nope found it and unenrolled a few days ago

https://beta.apple.com/sp/betaprogram/unenroll#ios

Nope, definitely not there...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,149 ✭✭✭shanec1928

Nope, definitely not there...

You have un enrolled so.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,100 ✭✭✭The Ayatolla

What time roughly for iOS 11 public version?

Using the GM release and quite a few bugs.

Whatsapp connection issues when moving from WiFi to 3G (have to turn airplane mode on and off to fix) and mail app crashes if I swipe and delete a bunch of emails quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 892 ✭✭✭Fuzzy Logic

6pm

• Registered Users Posts: 1,809 ✭✭✭Mr Velo

What time roughly for iOS 11 public version?

Using the GM release and quite a few bugs.

Whatsapp connection issues when moving from WiFi to 3G (have to turn airplane mode on and off to fix) and mail app crashes if I swipe and delete a bunch of emails quickly.

I don't expect there will be any difference between GM and the public version released this evening.

Mr Velo wrote: »
    I don't expect there will be any difference between GM and the public version released this evening.

Will hopefully fix a few app issues. Vodafone app and Avast SecureLine app still not working for me

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,037 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

Will hopefully fix a few app issues. Vodafone app and Avast SecureLine app still not working for me
    That’s more to do with those app developers rather than Apple themselves. Those developers should really have been testing their app with the beta versions and should have had those ready before GM release.

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭Armonline

Normally if you have the GM you are not even prompted to update when the official version launches until a later point release as they are the same. If you have some problem apps, it may be with the apps themselves which expect lots of app updates this week

• Registered Users Posts: 1,930 ✭✭✭keith_d99

The general consensus from people with the GM version on Reddit seems to be "avoid" in it's current state

This could be the first time I don't update on release night

• Registered Users Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭Doodah7

keith_d99 wrote: »
    The general consensus from people with the GM version on Reddit seems to be "avoid" in it's current state

This could be the first time I don't update on release night

Have the GM on an iPhone 6s and an iPad Air 2 for the past week and both work almost flawlessly. One glitch in the Notes app but as there is almost certain to be no difference between the GM and public version, the glitch will be there until the first point release.

I'm glad I got in ahead of the rush. Cue the moans on here from 6 o'clock 'that the download is stuck at 22%', 'it has taken three hours to get to 10%', 'its bricked my phone' etc...

• Administrators Posts: 53,845 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Doodah7 wrote: »
    Have the GM on an iPhone 6s and an iPad Air 2 for the past week and both work almost flawlessly. One glitch in the Notes app but as there is almost certain to be no difference between the GM and public version, the glitch will be there until the first point release.

I'm glad I got in ahead of the rush. Cue the moans on here from 6 o'clock 'that the download is stuck at 22%', 'it has taken three hours to get to 10%', 'its bricked my phone' etc...

Doubt there'll be much of a rush, the overwhelming majority won't upgrade until the phone prompts them to.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,930 ✭✭✭keith_d99

Have a Series 3 watch ordered - so will have to!

Advertisement