Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

iOS 11 - Developer, public beta and official release

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,456 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Downloading now - 18:08.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭omb0wyn5ehpij9

coylemj wrote: »
    Downloading now - 18:08.

I checked 5 minutes ago and iTunes was telling me that my iPhone 6 had the most up to date software. Will check again now so!

• Registered Users Posts: 25,456 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

I downloaded it to iTunes, when I went to install on my iPad mini2 it said it needs 770MB free space, had to clear out some junk to make room for it. Now installing.

BDJW wrote: »
    I checked 5 minutes ago and iTunes was telling me that my iPhone 6 had the most up to date software. Will check again now so!

Downloading now....it's a 2.47GB download

• Administrators Posts: 53,845 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Update installed in 10 mins for me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭Doodah7

GM is the same as the public release. Phone states that software is up to date on iOS 11...

Downloading now....it's a 2.47GB download

As expected, servers must be taking a hammering. 30 minutes in and there is only 315MBs downloaded so far. 4 hours to go apparently :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭Belfunk

As expected, servers must be taking a hammering. 30 minutes in and there is only 315MBs downloaded so far. 4 hours to go apparently :pac:

Took me 4 minutes to download and that was about 10 minutes ago. Phone is currently updating.

Belfunk wrote: »
    Took me 4 minutes to download and that was about 10 minutes ago. Phone is currently updating.

I'm thinking it could be my internet connection. I just turned it off and back on, and it seems quiet slow even with just general browsing so that is probably the reason for the long download :(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,359 ✭✭✭DubDJ

That was the fastest download for me by far. It literally downloaded in 2-3 minutes. The install was a little longer.

Going to take some time getting used to the new scroll speed in Safari, and the new notifications pull down.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,100 ✭✭✭The Ayatolla

Roll on 11.0.1 :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,875 ✭✭✭deadanonymau5

Rumours are that the force touch multitasking will be back in 11.1...I hope its true.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,484 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

keith_d99 wrote: »
    The general consensus from people with the GM version on Reddit seems to be "avoid" in it's current state

This could be the first time I don't update on release night

I have the GM and it's fine. No issues.

Why trust people on Reddit?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

I am very disappointed with the customisation options for the new control centre.

The previous incarnation with its two screens and huge redundant buttons incensed me. But why now only allow the bottom four icons to be customised?

I never use rotate lock, screen mirroring or do not disturb, but I can't remove them. Instead I'm stuff with tiny podcast/music controls that leave no room for error between play/pause and skip 15s (especially when driving).

Would it have been so hard to let you remove the unused stuff and give more prominence to relevant icons?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

I've been using the iPhone GM for the last week. Mostly fine bar the usual lack of polish that we expect from point-oh releases. Battery life on my 6s is noticeably poorer by an hour or so. Most important thing is probably to make sure any old abandonware apps you are still using are 64-bit before upgrading as they won't work in iOS 11.

Dades wrote: »
    I am very disappointed with the customisation options for the new control centre.

The previous incarnation with its two screens and huge redundant buttons incensed me. But why now only allow the bottom four icons to be customised?

I never use rotate lock, screen mirroring or do not disturb, but I can't remove them. Instead I'm stuff with tiny podcast/music controls that leave no room for error between play/pause and skip 15s (especially when driving).

Would it have been so hard to let you remove the unused stuff and give more prominence to relevant icons?

You could lock the phone whilst driving and use the lock screen controls then. Much bigger.

I think the majority of people do use DND and Screen rotation (I certainly couldn't manage know without DND at night) but it is off that you cannot remove them if you want. Suppose that's the Apple way that infuriates Fandroids.

The rest of the new control centre is great and you can customise more than the last 4, as in you can add to them.

I don't get why mobile data on/off is so prominent in control centre. Who on earth actually turns mobile data on and off?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

awec wrote: »
    I don't get why mobile data on/off is so prominent in control centre. Who on earth actually turns mobile data on and off?

Handy for when your data add-on runs out. Some networks prey on this. Or if you just need to limit your usage, like if you're travelling.

Handy for when your data add-on runs out. Some networks prey on this. Or if you just need to limit your usage, like if you're travelling.

Roaming is a different setting.

Who has an iPhone with a low data limit? What do these people do at the end of the month, just wait until they're always on wifi?!

Who has an iPhone with a low data limit? What do these people do at the end of the month, just wait until they're always on wifi?!

I buy another add-on.

• Advertisement

My notifications are all over the place at the moment. Sometimes getting double, sometimes not at all. Watch isn't vibrating half the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 aoife70murphy

have macintosh and i LOVE IT :) speed and trust

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,429 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Installed the GM on my work phone - 5s. Device got a little warm during the install.

Personal devices. iPod Touch (public beta) always goes to 99%, never 100% charged - been like that throughout the beta. Reminder still fecked, have been for some time. iPad Air 2 - will see how it goes.

murpho999 wrote: »
    You could lock the phone whilst driving and use the lock screen controls then. Much bigger.
    When the controls appear on the lockscreen, they're great. But they often don't - like maybe if you accessed something other than music/podcast last. Then you need the control panel.

The rest of the new control centre is great and you can customise more than the last 4, as in you can add to them.
    Its taking them away I want so there isn't so much filler in there!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,641 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Can see 11.0.1 being rolled out soon, it’s a tad buggy.

Something feels off aesthetically with this one. It’s not as clean ans streamlined as the more recent iOS. Control Center is messy too.

Notifications are grand for me. I turn them off for most apps.

Noticing an increase in speed (iPhone 6) with some functions.

New App Store feels like an overbearing Ikea catelogue.

Waiting for watch and iPad to update.

Oh but delighted they moved the full stop when searching!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

I have the GM and it's fine. No issues.

Why trust people on Reddit?

Because it is feedback from tens of thousands of users.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeloe

Roaming is a different setting.

Few of the lads down here are on terrible tarrifs, and they won't move up for an extra fiver a month, half way through the month you can't contact them any way apart from SMS or a call, no imessage, whatsapp, FB messenger, nothing.

Drives me feckin insane.

I firmly believe to get worth out of a top of the range smartphone you need to
    1. Have enough space to not be constantly deleting/shifting stuff to make room for the next photo
    2. Have a data plan that lets you view/download what you want, whenever you want.

I get 6GB a month data on my 35pm plan, I usually use about half of it each month. I did notice today though that new customers get 10GB on the same plan.

Don't really know what the point is having an iPhone with a low data plan.

• Advertisement

quarryman wrote: »
    Because it is feedback from tens of thousands of users.

It's reddit though.

I often find that people often just post negative stuff and don't say anything about the good things. Happens here a lot too.

Advertisement