Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

iOS 11 - Developer, public beta and official release

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,641 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Having played with it now on Watch series 0, iPhone 6 and iPad Air, I have some further musings.

The most significant changes are on the iPad which IMO improves iPad user friendliness. My iPad kinda looks like OSX now. Speed improvements too.

iPhone 6 update still seems clunkier and buggy as hell. Dont like the large "Messages" and "Recent" font in the Messages and Phone app. Seems a huge waste of real estate on the screen. Similarly Safari search bar does feel like its taking up more space then necessary although its still minimising when you scroll. The file management system improvements have freed up lots of space on the phone. Multitasking is more efficient. Being able to edit control centre is great, particularly the inbuilt ATV remote.
    I'm finding Messages the buggiest part of the new update.

Watch series 0, not noticing any difference bar the obvious new faces. And the ability of being able to use the screen as a torch. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,020 ✭✭✭✭dodzy

Iphone 6S (edit:plus) with iOS11.

Fingerprint unlock is temperamental. Sometimes it's instantaneous (as it was on last OS) but often it recognises the thumb/finger, shows the 'unlocked' message at top centre of screen but it does not actually unlock. Phone requires a further home button press. Annoying as b'jasus.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,484 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Anyone keep getting activate facetime and iMessage requests. Very annoying and costs money when you say yes.

Any idea how to stop it?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

I've found when I'm on a headphone call that the sleep button unlocks the phone? So I can't do something on the screen, lock it and put it away.

Might be missing something but this has been my experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,443 ✭✭✭Deep Thought

Doesnt seem to save previous settings, sync music last nite, plug phone in today, not music and need to resync

Not everything is being sent, seems to ignore some things, then another sync sends them

The narrower a man’s mind, the broader his statements.

• Advertisement

Control centre again.

When adjusting the brightness you used to be able to see how your level change would affect what you were viewing over the top of the controls. Now the whole screen goes grey blocking out what you were viewing. And I don't know why.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,684 ✭✭✭waynegalway

Just as I thought, the way that WiFi and BT toggles work in Control Centre is getting some negative press now that iOS 11 is “out there”.

Maybe, just maybe, Apple will sort it out. I can see why it might suit some people to have it work the way it does, but they could easily have something like a long press on the toggle in CC to fully shut off WiFi and BT.

https://www.engadget.com/2017/09/20/ios-11-control-center-doesnt-fully-turn-off-wifi-or-bluetooth/

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭HairySalmon

I’ve noticed after I updated to iOS 11 that I don’t have any of the new emojis.

What’s up?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,020 ✭✭✭✭dodzy

I loved the night shift feature in ios10 but Apple obviously have reduced its proud status in the control Centre. For anyone who uses it, they hid it under the brightness toggle. A long press on this toggle in control Centre will unhide the night shift button.

Just as I thought, the way that WiFi and BT toggles work in Control Centre is getting some negative press now that iOS 11 is “out there”.

Maybe, just maybe, Apple will sort it out. I can see why it might suit some people to have it work the way it does, but they could easily have something like a long press on the toggle in CC to fully shut off WiFi and BT.

https://www.engadget.com/2017/09/20/ios-11-control-center-doesnt-fully-turn-off-wifi-or-bluetooth/

Odd that they've done this. You have to go into settings to fully disable both functions. Also according to Apples's own documentation they switch on at 5am. I've noticed my iphone connecting to the handsfree in the car in the morning even though I've toggled the BT setting to off in the control center the night before.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT208086

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 859 ✭✭✭Vudgie

Switching between screens/pages seems smoother or faster, the changes seem very subtle based on how I use my phone but impressed so far.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

I like the way the WiFi toggle works in Control Centre now. 99 percent of the time when I disable WiFi this way I'm just trying to disconnect from the current WiFi network. Like when I'm using public WiFi on the bus or something. Often I'd forget to re-enable it when I'd get home or get to work or I would have to tap it twice - off and back on. The way it works now it will detect when I've moved to a new location and re-connect.

Someone people have complained that it's confusing (and perhaps coming from the old functionality it is), but when you use the toggle it clearly distinguishes between "not connected" and "off".

• Registered Users Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

When your phone is locked and you swipe down, when you have multiple notifications is there not a 'clear all' option any more?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,429 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

The music icon seems quite dim on my 5s. I don't use it as I don't have music on my work phone. Visually, it just looks weird and faded compared to the phone/Mail/Safari ones. Strange.

Logged into iCloud in my Air 2 was a little messy. The keyboard seemed to constantly cover the password box and it took me a while to find the exclamation point symbol too. No wonder some people complain about Apple's sloppy quality control.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Any users of the Apple Music app having sound problems on their headphones since the update? YouTube is perfect sound, just apple music

• Registered Users Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭brophs

Really struggling to understand the changes in the podcast app. They've gotten rid of the 'Mark as Played' option. The layout generally feels really cramped and hard to navigate. What app do you folks use, if not the official Apple app?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,426 ✭✭✭Roar

brophs wrote: »
    Really struggling to understand the changes in the podcast app. They've gotten rid of the 'Mark as Played' option. The layout generally feels really cramped and hard to navigate. What app do you folks use, if not the official Apple app?

It’s absolutely terrible. I hate it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Overcast. Great minimalist app but it doesn't have a mark as played button either. Podcasts are automatically marked as played when over.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,706 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Upgraded but my mobile data doesn't seem to work now on any apps any ideas?

I'm on Three.

Every so often I’ll install the Apple Podacst app to see if they’ve made any improvements to it. I had high hopes for it in ios11, but it’s still a mess.

I’ve tried a few 3rd party ones over the years, but recently I’ve been using Castro. Its developers are Irish. It has an incredibly easy and logical way of dealing with subscriptions and new episodes as they get published. Pocketcasts is good too, but I’d rank Castro higher.

If you have an Apple Watch, when Castro picks up a new episode is available, you can get a notification on your watch with the options to add the new episode to the top or bottom of your queue, or to send it straight to “archive” (essentially that means you don’t download it and it doesn’t show up in the app as a notification). Highly recommended.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,176 ✭✭✭vinnycoyne

Every so often I’ll install the Apple Podacst app to see if they’ve made any improvements to it. I had high hopes for it in ios11, but it’s still a mess.

I’ve tried a few 3rd party ones over the years, but recently I’ve been using Castro. Its developers are Irish. It has an incredibly easy and logical way of dealing with subscriptions and new episodes as they get published. Pocketcasts is good too, but I’d rank Castro higher.

If you have an Apple Watch, when Castro picks up a new episode is available, you can get a notification on your watch with the options to add the new episode to the top or bottom of your queue, or to send it straight to “archive” (essentially that means you don’t download it and it doesn’t show up in the app as a notification). Highly recommended.

+1. Castro rocks!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭adox

So slide over and split screen doesn’t seem to be working too well for me on iPad.

Say I have safari open, I bring up the dock and slide Twitter on to the page and it opens on the right hand side as an overlay. That works fine but from what I’ve seen and read both apps should be active on the screen. This isn’t the case for me. With Twitter open on the side, Safari can’t be used and is a layer under until you swipe Twitter off the page. I’ve seen videos where both can be used on the one page?

Also split screen doesn’t seem to be working for me either. Say on the Twitter app I have open on the right of my screen. You grab the “line”near the top of the app down to change to split screen mode right? All it does for me is reload the Twitter app.

Am I missing something obvious??

• Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭adox

iPad Air first gen maybe the problem? Not compatible?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,485 ✭✭✭harr

I updated today and have noticed the the spinning loading icon (beside Wifi icon ) is constantly spinning, I have restarted the phone and it stops but starts up again a while after ...starting to bug me now .
    I have closed all apps and websites with no luck anyone got the same problem

harr wrote: »
    I updated today and have noticed the the spinning loading icon (beside Wifi icon ) is constantly spinning, I have restarted the phone and it stops but starts up again a while after ...starting to bug me now .
    I have closed all apps and websites with no luck anyone got the same problem

It's downloading or syncing something. If you were low on space it's possible it had to delete apps to make room for the update file and is now re-installing them. This can take ages.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,485 ✭✭✭harr

It's downloading or syncing something. If you were low on space it's possible it had to delete apps to make room for the update file and is now re-installing them. This can take ages.
    Not low on space anyway over 100gb spare cant figure out what the feck it’s trying to sync or download, its bugging the **** out of me

Also hating the new podcast app. I thought the last one was bad, but I had gotten used to how it operated. Now I haven't a clue what's going on, what's been downloaded, and where best to start from if I want to play something.

Honestly, how can Apple continue to get the UX so wrong on this?

On the bright side of iOS11, I just discovered the screenshot feature that lets you edit or send your screen from a thumbnail on the homescreen (or swipe left to ignore). Nice touch that.

• Administrators Posts: 53,845 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

The UX updates that Apple have been pushing the past few years have been very regressive tbh.

Dades wrote: »

Honestly, how can Apple continue to get the UX so wrong on this?

That has me baffled too. Especially seeing how Apple are experts at taking “inspiration” from other manufacturers and developers. Why can’t that take some “inspiration” from so many great 3rd party podcast apps and just make their one the only one you’d use?

• Advertisement

It's designed like a product where there was a fixed feature list, and late in development some product owner managed to introduce a load of new functionality which then had to be shoehorned into the existing design.

Advertisement