Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pre walkers v first shoes

Options
  • 08-06-2017 10:37am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭

My 14 month old hss been cruising gor sbout 2 montgs but is now beginnging to take 5-6 steps without holding on to anything. I never got my son pre-walkers as he was so late waking that he just atood up one day and walked properly. What are peoples thoughts on pre-walkers? My mum is very much of the school of don't put anything ob their feet until absolutely necessary.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭Weyhey

Your mum is right.
    Don't listen to the dribble that shoes shops try to impose on parents.
    Kids shoes (when they need them) should be flexible enough to bend nearly in half, have a wide toe box and do not need arch support. However lots of Clarkes (and other shoe makers) shoes do not fit this criteria and distort our kids feet.

Have a read of this article.

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2010/aug/09/barefoot-best-for-children

• Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

I got my then 15 month old pre walkers because we were going on holiday and I knew we would be out and about a lot (she was walking holding hands at that stage) If I had just been at home, I probably wouldn't have bothered. As it happened, she got fairly good wear out of them, they are definitely a lot softer than most first shoes. I personally think it's no harm to get them used to the pre walkers before going straight on to harder first shoes which are bound to be a bit of an adjustment for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭painauchocolat

My little lady simply would not keep socks on!! As it was freezing, we got prewalkers. I don't think they did her any harm or delayed her walking, but if the weather had been milder, we probably wouldn't have bothered

• Registered Users Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

My son walked at 10 months!!! We didn't buy him shoes until he was walking properly for I think 6 weeks. That's what shoe shop told us. It was before his first birthday and his feet were too big for clarks shoes!! We bought him start rite "Harry" ones. At that stage he was running.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,913 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

Both mine got prewalkers when they started cruising, round 12/13 months.I mostly got them to help them grip but also to protect their feet when crawling in the garden (long story!) I kept them in leather shoebees as long as I could but when they started to be outside, the soft leather was getting destroyed within days, so prewalkers were my next choice.
    My younger has prewalkers and Clarke's doodles at the moment (another long story!) Amd when she's walking in the doodles, I can see she's not as comfortable, she places her foot differently and more carefully and doesn't find her balance so easily (she's 14 mths and walks holding your hands).In the prewalkers she's much more comfy and secure, and walks more naturally, finds her balance easier.
    I don't think prewalkers are necessary but I think if you're planning on buying a shoe and the child is somewhere between crawling and walking, then they are probably the better option.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭Teeley

Interesting thread!..what are prewalkers?! Where do you buy them?
    Sorry if I sound naive..ftm. My Lois walking by holding our hands and loves to go outside so we need something for her feet.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭yellow hen

Teeley wrote: »
    Interesting thread!..what are prewalkers?! Where do you buy them?
    Sorry if I sound naive..ftm. My Lois walking by holding our hands and loves to go outside so we need something for her feet.

Pre walkers are just a softer leather shoe with a light sole. Much lighter than their first shoe. Most shoe shops will do some version of a pre walker.

I got them in Clarks in the end. I decided to get something for being outside but to leave her foot undressed the rest of the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭appledrop

We have just bought our 12 mth old a pair of pre walkers. He stays in his socks most of the time at home + in crèche however they are spending a lot of time outside in crèche at moment + they put them on him then as up to this week the weather has been crap + ground could be damp etc + he is on his feet a lot cruising around. I think they are a good idea once they are not in them all the time. We got his in Clarke + they are lovely + soft.

Advertisement