Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nintendo: General Discussion

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭wheresmahbombs

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    NSMB on a DS Lite was a revelation, so bright and on that lovely screen
    SMB3DL is no where near as good as SM64, which just makes the list a joke tbh.

Bang on. NSMB was still a fresh concept back when its first game was released in 2006. NSMB Wii didn't really offend me at all as it was only the 2nd game in the subseries.

SM64 is widely considered a revolutionary game, while SM3DL just interpreted Mario's 3D gameplay style with the classic time-limited, world-based SMB formula. It's definitely a solid title, but it just doesn't really click with me the same way titles like SMW and SM64 do.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,625 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Don't get me wrong, I think Super Mario 3D Land and World are great and fantastic games, but they aren't on the scale of plain awesome as SMW and SM64.
    Much of Super Mario 3D World's thunder was stolen by it's 3DS prequel, looking so similar, but it was still a stunning title.

I find SM3DW to be best played together. SM3DL, I don't plan on doing a full replay on it anytime soon, and I already beat the game 100%.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,958 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

I find SM3DW to be best played together.

It's always been my sticking point with these Mario-multiplayers that they always feel a bit big and empty when you're not playing with someone else. I get the reasoning behind it, to accommodate the madness and whatnot, but unlike say DKCR/TF or Rayman Origins/Legends, where things are tighter and drawn in, single-player in the Mario-mutlis always feel like you're kinda playing it the wrong way. I dunno if it's some sort of phantom spouse syndrome or what, but going back into some post-game stuff solo in the Mario-multis solo, having already done the main stuff with the other half, I got this sense like "wow, I have far more space to work with than I reasonably need."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭Pac1Man

The worst thing about all Mario platformers is the timer.

Let me explore without having to restart the level! It's archaic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,999 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

This week's Media Create sales for Japan.

Hardware Sales (followed by last week’s sales)
    1. Switch – 79,958 (64,387)
    2. PlayStation 4 – 20,021 (21,830)
    3. New 2DS LL – 10,323 (11,116)
    4. New 3DS LL – 7,296 (7,914)
    5. PlayStation 4 Pro – 6,037 (6,993)
    6. PlayStation Vita – 3,210 (3,576)
    7. 2DS – 1,484 (1,539)
    8. Xbox One X – 1,344 (New)
    9. New 3DS – 266 (287)
    10. Xbox One – 121 (114)
    11. PlayStation 3 – 41 (56)
    12. Wii U – 36 (38)

Software Sales (followed by lifetime sales)
    1. [NSW] Super Mario Odyssey (Nintendo, 10/27/17) – 73,315 (652,284)
    2. [PS4] Call of Duty: WWII (SIE, 11/03/17) – 67,044 (235,368)
    3. [NSW] Splatoon 2 (Nintendo, 07/21/17) – 23,130 (1,318,138)
    4. [PS4] Need for Speed: Payback (EA, 11/10/17) – 20,964 (New)
    5. [NSW] Mario Kart 8 Deluxe (Nintendo, 04,28,17) – 14,027 (802,472)
    6. [PS4] Assassin’s Creed Origins (Ubisoft, 10/27/17) – 11,051 (82,742)
    7. [PS4] ARK: Survival Evolved (Spike Chunsoft, 10/26/17) – 10,253 (103,800)
    8. [3DS] Style Savvy: Styling Star (Nintendo, 11/03/17) – 9,650 (41,826)
    9. [PS4] .hack//G.U. Last Recode (Limited Edition Included) (Bandai Namco, 11/02/17) – 6,659 (68,475)
    10. [PS4] Sonic Forces (Sega, 11/09/17) – 5,938 (New)
    11. [PS4] Occultic;Nine (5pb., 11/09/17) – 5,846 (New)
    12. [NSW] The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild (Limited Edition Included) (Nintendo, 03/03/17) – 5,498 (634,850)
    13. [PS4] Gran Turismo Sport (Limited Edition Included) (SIE, 10/19/17) – 5,439 (182,440)
    14. [NSW] Sonic Forces (Sega, 11/09/17) – 4,686 (New)
    15. [PSV] Occultic;Nine (5pb., 11/09/17) – 4,595 (New)
    16. [PS4] DJMAX Respect (Limited Edition Included) (Arc System Works, 11/09/17) – 4,376 (New)
    17. [PS4] Taiko Drum Master: Drum Session (Bundle Edition Included) (Bandai Namco, 10/26/17) – 4,002 (39,925)
    18. [NSW] Pokken Tournament DX (Nintendo, 09/22/17) – 3,862 (115,691)
    19. [3DS] Shin Megami Tensei: Strange Journey Redux (Limited Edition Included) (Atlus, 10/26/17) – 3,533 (74,180)
    20. [3DS] Animal Crossing: New Leaf Amiibo+ (Nintendo, 11/23/16) – 3,085 (267,322)

https://gematsu.com/2017/11/media-create-sales-11617-111217#zWzhixMELX5B5KH0.99

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,625 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I can't wait for Taiko Drum Master on the Switch, if Namco will bring it, along with a plastic Taiko Drum.
    Certainly, the region free nature of the system should mean with Japan gets it I can too, but I'll have to import the drum!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,958 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

sligeach wrote: »
    Xbox One X – 1,344 (New)

It amazes me that, in the guts of two decades, Microsoft can still barely catch a break in Japan. They just can't escape the air that it's an 'American' console (designed by a multinational and produced in China). The One doesn't even have the crutch of the FGC, like the 360 and SFIV, as Street Fighter V is PS4 exclusive.

Shigeru Miyamoto Celebrates His 65th Birthday Today

https://www.gamnesia.com/news/shigeru-miyamoto-celebrates-his-65th-birthday-today

He's SM64 no more. :D

Whoa, that came totally out of surprise to me!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,050 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

PlayStation 3 – 41
    Wii U – 36

More people bought a PS3 than Wii U, that's sad. I love my Wii U, particularly now I have more or less taken it over from the kids since they're on Xbox one, 3ds and soon to be switch.

Started playing assassins creed black flag. Enjoying it, but it presumes you've played other assassins creed games, and I haven't.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Banjo

Started playing assassins creed black flag. Enjoying it, but it presumes you've played other assassination creed games, and I haven't.

On the bright side, all the vague half formed ideas of the AC mythos you're imagining to explain all the crazy magic apple / regression vr bull**** to yourself is probably at least as good if not far better than the real thing! Forget the plot. Glug some grog, grab a wench and heave your jib to starboard!

PlayStation 3 – 41
    Wii U – 36

More people bought a PS3 than Wii U, that's sad. I love my Wii U, particularly now I have more or less taken it over from the kids since they're on Xbox one, 3ds and soon to be switch.

Started playing assassins creed black flag. Enjoying it, but it presumes you've played other assassination creed games, and I haven't.

Ya, but you see PS3 production only ended in May of this year in Japan, whereas Wii U production ended some 6 months prior. Think about that. Couple that with there being far more PS3's out there than Wii U's, oh ya, and the lunatic price the Wii U still is, and it's not that surprising I guess, though it is extremely sad.

I've yet to start Black Flag on Wii U and countless others. The last thing I need is another games machine and more games. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭Pac1Man

The last thing I need is another games machine and more games. :)

Said no one ever! :p

Pac1Man wrote: »
    Said no one ever! :p

I just did. :D

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild named ultimate game at the Golden Joysticks
    "The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild has been named ultimate game of the year at the Golden Joystick Awards.

It also picked up three other prizes - best audio, Nintendo game of the year and the critics' choice award."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/newsbeat/article/42027185/the-legend-of-zelda-breath-of-the-wild-named-ultimate-game-at-the-golden-joysticks

Thoroughly deserved and dare I say it, not surprising.

Nintendo Entertainment Planning & Development won the studio of the year award.

And Pokemon won something or other.

This week's UK games sales charts.

Individual Formats Charts
    DPEjZ7DXUAAiYC1.jpg:small

All Formats Charts
    DPEjcuZWAAER8Qo.jpg:small

Not a good start for Skyrim or L.A. Noire. DOOM is gone after only a week, as is Sonic Forces. Unless you're a 1st party game or have Mario in the title, the game doesn't sell well or stick around in the charts for very long. And those games are doing alright but the old saying that 3rd party games don't sell on Nintendo hardware kind of rings true, in the UK at least.

Edit: Or it could also be that Mario + Rabbids Kingdom Battle is new and people will support fresh content.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭blockfighter

This week's UK games sales charts.

Individual Formats Charts
    DPEjZ7DXUAAiYC1.jpg:small

All Formats Charts
    DPEjcuZWAAER8Qo.jpg:small

Not a good start for Skyrim or L.A. Noire. DOOM is gone after only a week, as is Sonic Forces. Unless you're a 1st party game or have Mario in the title, the game doesn't sell well or stick around in the charts for very long. And those games are doing alright but the old saying that 3rd party games don't sell on Nintendo hardware kind of rings true, in the UK at least.

Edit: Or it could also be the Mario + Rabbids Kingdom Battle is new and people will support fresh content.

I think until Nintendo start releasing 3rd party games at the same time as Xbox and PlayStation, they will never sell as well on Switch. And that's gonna take awhile.

FIFA 18 on Switch released at the same time but was gone after a couple of weeks while it's still there in the top 10 on PS4 and XB1. L.A. Noire released this week at the same time, it barely charted on Switch and will without a doubt be gone next week. Both games have different issues on Switch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,264 ✭✭✭✭manual_man

You're forgetting about a little thing called install base. The Switch is barely 9 months old, sligeach, give it a chance ;) :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Banjo

Edit: Or it could also be that Mario + Rabbids Kingdom Battle is new and people will support fresh content.

Those are late - to varying degrees - ports. You have been quite vocal (and rightly so, even if it does get on my tits after a while) about how these weren't going to sell well. And they didn't. But you sound surprised in this post rather than crowing about it. I am confused!

Personally I'd have thought that most people buying them - especially Skyrim - on Switch already own it and know how much it costs on other platforms, and how quickly the price dropped, and will wait. Of those who didn't wait, I'll bet a large amount of them went digital and a surprising proportion of them live in south africa.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭blockfighter

FIFA 18 on Switch released at the same time but was gone after a couple of weeks while it's still there in the top 10 on PS4 and XB1. L.A. Noire released this week at the same time, it barely charted on Switch and will without a doubt be gone next week. Both games have different issues on Switch.

Fifa 18 is a poor example as it's essentially a different game badged as new.
    LA Noire was released years ago and you can get the original dirt cheap. Less incentive for a Switch owner to fork out €60 for it.
    So it's no wonder they didn't sell well.

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭earthwormjack

Nintendo Switch version of LA Noire amounted to 20% of total sales. Seems pretty good for the limited install base in the UK . 51% PS4 and 28% xbox one.

manual_man wrote: »
    You're forgetting about a little thing called install base. The Switch is barely 9 months old, sligeach, give it a chance ;) :pac:

It's not just that. BOTW has been consistently in the chart I think since launch back in March, MK8D, released not even a couple of months later. FIFA 18 came out on 29th September. Anyway, that game has issues as do the other few 3rd party releases. And if anything, the limited amount of choice for Switch owners should be helping sales. Or maybe people aren't stupid and don't want watered down, years old, more expensive ports.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,561 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

Is there a European chart? UK one tells a limited story really. Is there ven any point to the charts anymore, with them not usually including digital and with everyone buying from South Africa?
    If there is ever a GAA game released on the switch, I could see South African sales outselling Irish ones.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

It's not just that. BOTW has been consistently in the chart I think since launch back in March, MK8D, released not even a couple of months later. FIFA 18 came out on 29th September. Anyway, that game has issues as do the other few 3rd party releases. And if anything, the limited amount of choice for Switch owners should be helping sales. Or maybe people aren't stupid and don't want watered down, years old, more expensive ports.

Stupid?

Really?

Corholio wrote: »
    Stupid?

Really?

What's your point? You want to single out one word? I said people AREN'T stupid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

What's your point? You want to single out one word? I said people AREN'T stupid.

About people who didn't want these ports, which insinuates that people who did are. Thousands of ways to put it without getting little digs in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,264 ✭✭✭✭manual_man

None of that should be a surprise! :D There are only 4 what can be considered 'AAA' titles for Switch - BotW, Odyssey, MK8, and Splatoon 2 - everything else has to be considered outside of that sphere. Also there's a money issue - it's unrealistic to think most Switch owners have unlimited pockets - after all any new console purchase is a significant investment. Games are extra. All the same I've read that Switch has had an impressive attach rate for a new console. If any comparisons should be done it should be relative to how other consoles have fared in their first year (bear in mind though Switch hasn't even enjoyed it's first holiday season sales figures yet). Also with older games that are ports obviously we can't expect anywhere near the types of sales as if they were brand new titles - duh! but by the same virtue, development costs for ports are significantly less than developing a new title from scratch so expectations have to be in sync.....

• Advertisement

Corholio wrote: »
    About people who didn't want these ports, which insinuates that people who did are. Thousands of ways to put it without getting little digs in.

I wasn't saying that those who buy these games are stupid. But, yes, you could interpret it that way, if you want to be pedantic and a literalist. I wasn't "getting little digs in."

Advertisement