Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nintendo: General Discussion

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,625 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

sligeach wrote: »
    What's your point? You want to single out one word? I said people AREN'T stupid.

In truth my friend you are using inflammatory language.
    We know your opinion, can't we please move on from it.
    It's a daily basis now.
    You make a statement of disappointment in the Switch.
    Someone responds.
    Off the merry go round goes again, one more time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,561 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

I don't even have a switch (yet) and I think it's deadly. Can't wait to get one and play all those class games.
    Even those stupid ports from years ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,999 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    In truth my friend you are using inflammatory language.
    We know your opinion, can't we please move on from it.
    It's a daily basis now.
    You make a statement of disappointment in the Switch.
    Someone responds.
    Off the merry go round goes again, one more time.

The thing is I genuinely didn't mean it as inflammatory language. But you have to say people have now rejected all these 3rd party efforts besides Mario + Rabbids Kingdom Battle. BOTW is 8 months old and is selling as much as these 3rd party games that chart for a week or 2 at most before disappearing for good. They don't even debut highly. BOTW will be there in next week's charts but L.A. Noire won't be and most likely neither will Skyrim.

Edit: Rime also released last week on Switch but the less said about that the better. And so did Batman: The Telltale Series. Neither charted.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,625 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

The thing is I genuinely didn't mean it as inflammatory language. But you have to say people have now rejected all these 3rd party efforts besides Mario + Rabbids Kingdom Battle. BOTW is 8 months old and is selling as much as these 3rd party games that chart for a week or 2 at most before disappearing for good. They don't even debut highly. BOTW will be there in next week's charts but L.A. Noire won't be and most likely neither will Skyrim.

Edit: Rime also released last week on Switch but the less said about that the better. And so did Batman: The Telltale Series. Neither charted.

But why take such pleasure in your analysis of the Switch as a failing console.
    It seems entirely bedded in your own feelings of distress caused by the factors involved in the failure of the WiiU.

3rd party games on Nintendo hardware have never been the strongest, regardless of format, not since the SNES at least.
    None of this is news
    But it is a stick you use to beat the Switch repeatedly, as if it were yet another indicator of the system being a poor effort, yet sales of hardware and software overall would suggest otherwise.

Move on from it.
    I'm speaking as someone who has respected your right to an opinion but in recent days it's seems deliberately trying to goad other users here, and you have to admit you could change your posts somewhat to be a little more respectful of others, as they have to respect you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,342 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Any hint of a Black Friday eShop sale? There's a few games I'm looking to pick up but not in a rush for.

• Advertisement

I think the Gamecube had more than respectable 3rd party support. Better than N64 for sure. And it was the last time they had parity with the competition. Resident Evil, Soul Calibur 2, Burnout 2, Killer 7, the Timesplitters games, Resident Evil 4, Viewtiful Joe and its sequel, Tales of Symphonia, Metal Arms: Glitch in the System, even games like F-Zero GX and Metal Gear Solid: Twin Snakes were made by or involved 3rd parties. There's loads of games if I stop and think about it for a while, Super Monkeyball and the sequel, Rogue Squadron 2, Prince of Persia and the sequels, the list goes on. We don't get that now because of the hardware Nintendo put out.

I think the Gamecube had more than respectable 3rd party support. Better than N64 for sure. And it was the last time they had parity with the competition. Resident Evil, Soul Calibur 2, Burnout 2, Killer 7, the Timesplitters games, Resident Evil 4, Viewtiful Joe and its sequel, Tales of Symphonia, Metal Arms: Glitch in the System, even games like F-Zero GX and Metal Gear Solid: Twin Snakes were made by or involved 3rd parties. There's loads of games if I stop and think about it for a while, Super Monkeyball and the sequel, Rogue Squadron 2, Prince of Persia and the sequels, the list goes on. We don't get that now because of the hardware Nintendo put out.

Remind me how well the Gamecube sold.....

Or I can remind you - it's the second worst performing console they released, behind the Wii U and the Switch is forecast to overtake it's lifetime sales by July.

Honestly Sligeach, enough is enough man.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,050 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

Remind me how well the Gamecube sold.....

We at least got the games. I didn't concern myself with sales back then but since you asked, I believe 26 million, though I'd have to double check to be 100% sure.

Edit: Sorry it was 22 million.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,264 ✭✭✭✭manual_man

Stop. Just please stop :o

We at least got the games. I didn't concern myself with sales back then but since you asked, I believe 26 million, though I'd have to double check to be 100% sure.

22 million, and like I said, only the Wii U sold less. The Switch meanwhile is forecast to have 17 million shipped by April and will, in all likelihood, overtake the Gamecube come July.

Honestly Sligeach, enough is enough man.

This is a discussion thread and I'm discussing things. So you deny that we haven't got a lot of games because of Nintendo's limited hardware? This isn't just about Switch, it's also about the Wii U and Wii before it. Companies don't enjoy jumping through hoops and the extra workload to release weaker games only to see poor sales. Granted it is easier than working on Wii U and the gap isn't as big as it was between Wii and PS3/XB360. I'm telling you, if the Switch had parity, FIFA 18 wouldn't be the only game that EA have announced.

22 million, and like I said, only the Wii U sold less. The Switch meanwhile is forecast to have 17 million shipped by April and will, in all likelihood, overtake the Gamecube come July.

The Gamecube had only 1.5GB of storage on its discs, it had public perception problems(kiddy lunchbox with a handle) and I don't remember seeing any Nintendo advertising. Great games were regularly sent out to die. The "indigo" colour was terrible in my opinion, which in reality was purple. That was the colour that was mainly used when there was any advertising. I bought the black at launch, they had several great colours, the ice white or the Spice orange that never released in Europe. The silver was nice too. Japan got loads of exclusive bundles and colours.

But Sligeach, you've said it again, and again and again.
    There's not a poster in here that isn't aware of what your opinion is.
    But it is an opinion, and bringing it up on a daily basis, to the dismay of others isn't fair.
    It might make you feel good but it is doing little for others experience of this thread and forum.
    So, again, I ask that you park it, we get it, we know what you think of a console you have not yet bought.
    Please just move on.

The Gamecube had only 1.5GB of storage on its discs, it had public perception problems(kiddy lunchbox with a handle) and I don't remember seeing any Nintendo advertising. Great games were regularly sent out to die. The "indigo" colour was terrible in my opinion, which in reality was purple. That was the colour that was mainly used when there was any advertising. I bought the black at launch, they had several great colours, the ice white or the Spice orange that never released in Europe. The silver was nice too. Japan got loads of exclusive bundles and colours.

Mmmm, don't have too much good to say about the GameCube or Nintendo's handling of it.
    For someone who is a Nintendo aficionado and I think only buys Nintendo stuff (not a switch) you don't seem to like them or their hardware very much.
    Nintendo stuff has always been underpowered (apart from the cube).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭wheresmahbombs

OwaynOTT wrote: »

The SNES was a damn powerful machine, capable of displaying more simultaneous colours than the Sega Genesis/Mega Drive. We also got more natural sounding audio, compared to the twangy tunes the Genesis pumped out. The audio of the 2 systems are both great in their own right.

But Sligeach, you've said it again, and again and again.
    There's not a poster in here that isn't aware of what your opinion is.
    But it is an opinion, and bringing it up on a daily basis, to the dismay of others isn't fair.
    It might make you feel good but it is doing little for others experience of this thread and forum.
    So, again, I ask that you park it, we get it, we know what you think of a console you have not yet bought.
    Please just move on.

Pro tip : if another user's posts bother you so much, add him to your ignore list. Hides all the bile they might spew.

(Although I'm not sure if moderators can feasibly do that.)

The SNES was a damn powerful machine, capable of displaying more simultaneous colours than the Sega Genesis/Mega Drive. We also got more natural sounding audio, compared to the twangy tunes the Genesis pumped out. The audio of the 2 systems are both great in their own right.

SNES clock speed was lower though wasn't it? Although I think Nintendo offset that with additional chips on the actual cartridges.

It was. Sega used that to its advantage and marketed the Genesis as having blast-processing.

• Advertisement

OwaynOTT wrote: »
    Mmmm, don't have too much good to say about the GameCube or Nintendo's handling of it.
    For someone who is a Nintendo aficionado and I think only buys Nintendo stuff (not a switch) you don't seem to like them or their hardware very much.

I love the Gamecube, possibly my favourite console ever. But Nintendo made mistakes. I can criticise something while still liking it. I should take photos some time of my collection of games on these platforms. It would be bigger than most people here, not all of course.

The GameCube was a damn good console. Shame it didn't sell so well. Looking at its sales figures, the GameCube can be likened to as the 2000s counterpart of the Wii U.

My Nintendo collection is pretty good.
    But I embrace balance, so my Sony, Sega and Atari collections are similarly extensive.
    I'd have a blinkered view of the hobby without experiencing as much as I have.
    Bloodborne and The Last Guardian have been two of the best gaming experiences of my life so far.
    Halo, Metropolis Street Racer and Jet Set Radio Future were amazing, as was Knights of the Old Republic and Super Mario 64, so many great games to play, so sad to limit ones self to a single brand.

The GameCube was a damn good console. Shame it didn't sell so well. Looking at its sales figures, the GameCube can be likened to as the 2000s counterpart of the Wii U.

Billy Hatcher can die in a hole, a hole filled with fire.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭Pac1Man

so sad to limit ones self to a single brand.

Especially when you have so many complaints about said brand. It's like a definition of madness.

I've never played Billy Hatcher. I just know that he's one of Sega's smaller mascots, which I got brief knowledge of from playing Sonic & Sega All-Stars Racing.

I wonder what's so bad about him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,529 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

I remember liking Billy Hatcher. Probably through rose-tinted glasses though.

Ahhh c'mere now! How can you be so down on something with such a ridiculously catchy theme tune?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,747 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I don't think ports of 5+ year old games can count as 3rd party releases. It's wishful thinking that they will sell. I can see Skyrim and Doom doing well as they suit the portable format. Nobody wanted LA Noire.

The third parties will be coming in 2018, especially in Japan where the PS4 is a disaster and the Switch seems to be the 3DS successor. SMT is already announced. If the Switch picks up Japanese support then it's really going to differentiate it from the PS4/XBOX One amorphous blobs. Also there's Pokn coming as well. Never underestimate the power of that franchise.

This XMas will be a big year for the Switch but next year will be massive. People will be exposed to it and it will be a huge seller next year.

The Switch for me is like the DS. I didn't have any faith in it and thought it would flop but bought it to get a few quirk Nintendo games you can't get anywhere else. It's totally exceeded my expectations after a slow start. It's the console I didn't think I wanted but now that I have it, it totally makes sense.

SNES had a terrible CPU that hobbled it. Also the sound chip while sample based outputted in incredibly low bitrate and ate up cartridge space. The Megadrive had a full blown synthesiser on board but Sega of America ruined it with it's GEMS driver which was a piece of ass and used by lazy American developers. There was a massive gulf in quality between the Japanese composers used to coding on the same chip on the PC-88 or Konami on the MSX compared to the American garbage.

Wouldn't call either sound chip better, both produce a very different sound.

• Advertisement

I love the Gamecube, possibly my favourite console ever. But Nintendo made mistakes. I can criticise something while still liking it. I should take photos some time of my collection of games on these platforms. It would be bigger than most people here, not all of course.

Never really hear the positives from you though. And size of collection doesn't equate love. Especially seeing as you've multiple copies of star fox zero ;)

Ok, generally Nintendo released underpowered but brilliant systems like the gameboy. Not as technically proficient as the Atari lynx, game gear or the turbo express but was undoubtably the winner of handhelds.

And the Neo Geo Aes was 16bit era too, so the snes would have been underpowered compared to that.

Advertisement