Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nintendo: General Discussion

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,747 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Mr E wrote: »
    I remember liking Billy Hatcher. Probably through rose-tinted glasses though.

Tried to get through my GC back catalogue recently. It's.... forgettable. Plenty of far better games worth your time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭wheresmahbombs

OwaynOTT wrote: »
    Ok, generally Nintendo released underpowered but brilliant systems like the gameboy. Not as technically proficient as the Atari lynx, game gear or the turbo express but was undoubtably the winner of handhelds.

And the Neo Geo Aes was 16bit era too, so the snes would have been underpowered compared to that.

OK, now I watched a bit of Game Sack's Neo Geo episode, and I have to agree with you on the Neo Geo's sheer arcade power. Between the Neo Geo, the SNES and the Genesis, the SNES is in the middle of the pack in terms of hardware.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,625 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

The SNES did not have Thunderforce IV.
    So it lost the 16bit war right there.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,747 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    The SNES did not have Gunstar Heroes.
    So it lost the 16bit war right there.

Fixed your post.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,625 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Fixed your post.

You had to know I was going to say it....

6/10....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Saruhashi

sligeach wrote: »
    I love the Gamecube, possibly my favourite console ever. But Nintendo made mistakes. I can criticise something while still liking it. I should take photos some time of my collection of games on these platforms. It would be bigger than most people here, not all of course.

A better question might be what successes have they had?

Nintendo's 5 biggest sellers have been the DS (154 million), GB/GB Color (118 million), Wii (101 million), Gamboy Advance (81 million) and 3DS (68 million).

Looks like handhelds are their most popular consoles. Interesting. Also they don't have a lot of competition in the handheld market.

The NES and the SNES beat all of their direct competition, a few decades ago.

So we have N64 (33 million vs PS @102 million), Gamecube (22 million vs PS2 @ 155 million) and Wii U (13 million vs PS4 @ 67 million) to talk about.

From what I can see in your posts your 3 most wanted things from a Nintendo console are:

At least as powerful as other current gen consoles.
    3rd party support matching the other current gen consoles.
    A price point equal to, or less than, other current gen consoles.

How much would you expect that to sell though?

If a Nintendo console is only going to sell approx 1/3 of what a Playstation console will sell then can they even afford to make the same kind of investment that Sony can?

Nintendo have never been able to compete with Playstation. Nobody has. PS 1, 2, 3 & 4 have outsold every home console ever with the exception of Wii and XBOX 360.

You aren't being clear about what a Nintendo success story would look like to you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,999 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

More Super Nintendo World Details in Orlando - Mario Kart, DK Sections + Future Expansions

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CIaTESutp5w

This week's Media Create sales for Japan.

Hardware (last weeks sales in brackets):
    1. Switch – 86,999 (79,958)
    2. New 2DS LL – 29,013 (10,323)
    3. PS4 – 18,126 (20,021)
    4. New 3DS LL – 11,074 (7,296)
    5. PS4 Pro – 8,176 (6,037)
    6. 2DS – 3,113 (1,484)
    7. Vita – 3,090 (3,210)
    8. New 3DS – 280 (266)
    9. Xbox One X – 143 (1,344)
    10. Xbox One – 104 (121)
    11. PS3 – 46 (41)
    12. Wii U – 43 (36)

Software:

1. [3DS] Pokemon Ultra Sun/Ultra Moon – 667,439 / NEW
    2. [3DS] Pokemon Ultra Sun/Ultra Moon Double Pack – 247,782 / NEW
    3. [NSW] Super Mario Odyssey – 62,024 / 714,308
    4. [PS4] Star Wars Battlefront II – 38,769 / NEW
    5. [PS4] Call of Duty: WWII – 34,116 / 269,483
    6. [NSW] Splatoon 2 – 25,118 / 1,343,255
    7. [WIU] Dragon Quest X: 5000 Year Journey To A Faraway Hometown – 24,836 / NEW
    8. [NSW] Dragon Quest X: 5000 Year Journey To A Faraway Hometown – 18,444 / NEW
    9. [NSW] Mario Kart 8 Deluxe – 16,532 / 819,004
    10. [PS4] Dragon Quest X: 5000 Year Journey To A Faraway Hometown – 13,657 / NEW
    11. [NSW] Zelda: Breath of the Wild – 7,004 / 641,853
    12. [NSW] Pokken Tournament DX – 6,642 / 122,333
    13. [3DS] Style Savvy: Styling Star – 6,523 / 48,349
    14. [PS4] Need for Speed Payback – 6,440 / 27,404
    15. [PS4] Ark: Survival Evolved – 6,178 / 109,978
    16. [PS4] Assassin’s Creed Origins – 5,593 / 88,336
    17. [PS4] Gran Turismo Sport – 5,063 / 187,503
    18. [PS4] .hack// GU Last Recode – 3,738 / 72,214
    19. [3DS] Animal Crossing: New Leaf – Welcome amiibo – 3,444 / 270,765
    20. [PS4] The Sims 4 – 3,428 / NEW

Source: http://www.4gamer.net/games/117/G011794/20171122074/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,331 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

Hi Folks,
    I'm looking for some help here please. I need to find out if a DS Lite can be used to connect to WiFi that is unlocked.
    I know next to nothing about these kind of things so won't be able to understand any technical jargon.
    The situation is our house WiFi according to the supplier cannot be locked (we are in a rural area, satellite dish type thing giving us signal) we are told the only answer is to lock individual devices.
    Do I need to have the DS Lite locked so it can't access internet, facebook etc?
    When I google it I see Nintendo have done some blocking thing in 2014 but then other sites say this can be bypassed.
    Appreciate any help.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Banjo

The DS lite doesn't have a browser. So you don't need to worry about accessing Facebook.

The back-end infrastructure for online gaming for the DS is gone, so you can't connect to services that let you game online without both jiggery and pokery. It is not a trivial task.

Anyone who's capable of doing that behind your back will find a way to look at pictures of boobs and mickeys no matter what barriers you put up.

You don;t have to set up the Wifi conenction on the DS for it to function, and I think you can use a Parental Pin to lock out access to the System Setup menus so it can't be configured after the fact.

You sure it's a DS lite and not a 3DS?

• Advertisement

Hi Folks,
    I'm looking for some help here please. I need to find out if a DS Lite can be used to connect to WiFi that is unlocked.
    I know next to nothing about these kind of things so won't be able to understand any technical jargon.
    The situation is our house WiFi according to the supplier cannot be locked (we are in a rural area, satellite dish type thing giving us signal) we are told the only answer is to lock individual devices.
    Do I need to have the DS Lite locked so it can't access internet, facebook etc?
    When I google it I see Nintendo have done some blocking thing in 2014 but then other sites say this can be bypassed.
    Appreciate any help.

I haven't used my DS Lite in years. I took it out just now to try and find an answer for you. Can't find any parental controls, there's no browser, there is Wi-Fi connection for some games but I don't see a way of locking it. I always found it a pain to set up and couldn't connect, asking for WEP password.

And as an aside, I used to think the DS Lite was alright to hold and play with but I found it awful just now. Maybe I got used to it before but I don't remember disliking it in the past. Explains why I dislike the Joy-Cons as well. They have the same issues although the Joy-Cons were much worse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,222 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

The joycons are a joy to use folks!!!

Take that as sound advice from someone who has a Nintendo Switch and uses them daily!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,368 ✭✭✭madmoe

The joycons are a joy to use folks!!!

Take that as sound advice from someone who has a Nintendo Switch and uses them daily!!!

I'm totally into using them for Mario Odyssey and even Splatoon 2 now! My poor old pro controller is not happy at all all!! :D

The joke you slide them into is horrible. They are so much better to use when no docked to that thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,222 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

madmoe wrote: »
    I'm totally into using them for Mario Odyssey and even Splatoon 2 now! My poor old pro controller is not happy at all all!! :D

Surely not sure they are terrible to use apparently

That’s from those with switch experience

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,251 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

So I'm thinking of switching (no pun intended) from Vodafone to Three. I know Three lets you use phone credit for PSN credit but can you use it for eshop credit?

Three allow "bill to carrier" so it'll work with Google's store and other supported services. If you can use Bill To Carrier with Paypal you're laughing.

How does the PSN thing work? If you're purchasing credit by texting someone, you'd need to see if that same service sells eShop credit (that's a 3rd party billing your carrier). If it's using an intermediary payment option like Revolut or Paypal and they can bill to carrier then you can buy *anything* with your credit where that payment type is accepted.

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    The joke you slide them into is horrible. They are so much better to use when no docked to that thing.

I agree mate, most definitely. I played all of Zelda BOTW with them in the grip :-( Wish now I had given them a go one in each hand!!

Surely not sure they are terrible to use apparently

That’s from those with switch experience

I've found them great personally since giving them a try, especially with Splatoon 2! I honestly didn't think I would!

Banjo wrote: »
    The DS lite doesn't have a browser. So you don't need to worry about accessing Facebook.

The back-end infrastructure for online gaming for the DS is gone, so you can't connect to services that let you game online without both jiggery and pokery. It is not a trivial task.

Anyone who's capable of doing that behind your back will find a way to look at pictures of boobs and mickeys no matter what barriers you put up.

You don;t have to set up the Wifi conenction on the DS for it to function, and I think you can use a Parental Pin to lock out access to the System Setup menus so it can't be configured after the fact.

You sure it's a DS lite and not a 3DS?

Thank you very much for the detailed easy to understand reply Banjo, you have put two minds at rest that another mind won't stray.

It's deffo a DS Lite, I checked the back of it before I posted.

We previously allowed the young person a 2DS only to discover that it was being used for more than games so that got removed and I bought the secondhand DS Lite as a replacement.

Then today I was told there was a possibility that too could be used to surf the web so after the initial shock I composed myself and wrote the question.

It's not always easy being a technophobe and a parent but today I feel like I'm making progress and trust has been restored.

Thank you.

• Advertisement

sligeach wrote: »
    I haven't used my DS Lite in years. I took it out just now to try and find an answer for you. Can't find any parental controls, there's no browser, there is Wi-Fi connection for some games but I don't see a way of locking it. I always found it a pain to set up and couldn't connect, asking for WEP password.

And as an aside, I used to think the DS Lite was alright to hold and play with but I found it awful just now. Maybe I got used to it before but I don't remember disliking it in the past. Explains why I dislike the Joy-Cons as well. They have the same issues although the Joy-Cons were much worse.

sligeach thank you very much for your time and effort.

I really appreciate it.

Actually, the 2DS has better parental controls, you just need to know they exist before you can set them. You can pin-protect wireless access. I think.

As Sligeach pointed out, getting a DS Lite to connect to your router is a pain in the hole at the best of times. In that way even if they want to betray your trust they can't :D

If you don't want to answer, don't - since we're getting into dodgy territory - but will they be using one of those cards that lets them load lots of games on it? If so, bear in mind there are ways and means to get a rudimentary browser on there and then the whole problem kicks off again. Also, there are all sorts of other things that can be done (loading on movies so they can stay up late watching Driller Killer, downloading Japanese games that confirm every worry you've ever had about what a game will do to a childs mind and then some, and worse - devalue the currency of an actual game running from a genuine cart that you have to care about and play to bits because you have nothing else to play!) - all of which are things you'd struggle to do on a 2/3DS.

Coming from the DS the DS Lite was a pleasure.
    I used it again recently and found it remains a joy to use.
    I much prefer the finish too over the DSi.
    Also, it allows a person to play GBA titles on one of the best screens this side of an AGS101 or Micro and allows the use of accessories, like the Guitar Hero controller or the Taito Paddle Controller.
    And, if you haven't used a controller or console long enough to develop an informed opinion said opinion is of little objective value.

Banjo wrote: »
    Actually, the 2DS has better parental controls, you just need to know they exist before you can set them. You can pin-protect wireless access. I think.

As Sligeach pointed out, getting a DS Lite to connect to your router is a pain in the hole at the best of times. In that way even if they want to betray your trust they can't :D

If you don't want to answer, don't - since we're getting into dodgy territory - but will they be using one of those cards that lets them load lots of games on it? If so, bear in mind there are ways and means to get a rudimentary browser on there and then the whole problem kicks off again. Also, there are all sorts of other things that can be done (loading on movies so they can stay up late watching Driller Killer, downloading Japanese games that confirm every worry you've ever had about what a game will do to a childs mind and then some, and worse - devalue the currency of an actual game running from a genuine cart that you have to care about and play to bits because you have nothing else to play!) - all of which are things you'd struggle to do on a 2/3DS.

Banjo I had to read this a good few times to understand. I'm still not 100% sure though and I really apologize for my ignorance.

The child is very clever with computers and tech stuff, we are like dinosaurs.

Is it safe to let them have a DS Lite without supervision when our main worry is facebook?

I know you cannot give a definitive answer but do you think it would take a real genius or someone who has pocket money and access to a phone on school break?

I appreciate your concern here, thank you.

Thought Xenoblade 2 was out today! Not a bad thing, gives me a week to get the last 300 moons in Mario :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭Pac1Man

Banjo I had to read this a good few times to understand

Not the first time that has ever been said. :D

You'll be fine Rows. The online capabilities of the DS have long since passed. No way the child will be getting Facebook access on it!

Think of it as an old rusty civil war musket. Technically you could get it firing again but it would take so much higgledy piggledy that it's fair to say it will never fire again.

Also, if you class yourselves as tech dinosaurs, you may be overestimating how tech savvy the child actually is. My mother calls me a genius when I move an app on her phone for example. I respectively reply with "I know mother, thank you" but that's not the point.

The DS Lite is a lovely system by the way. Nice and clean looking and backwards compatible as Cider "O Captain, My Captain" Man previously mentioned.

The DS Lite, which was the first DS model I had, is easily my favourite original DS model. It might not have the big screen of the DSi XL/2DS XL/3DS XL, but it's got Game Boy Advance compatibility up its sleeve. Truly a wonderful handheld.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,958 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

it's got Game Boy Advance compatibility up its sleeve. Truly a wonderful handheld.

If you're only interested in playing GBA games with the backlit screen, then the DS lite (OG DS too, I guess) is a considerably more affordable alternative than splashing out on a GBA SP AGS-101. That said, the DS d-pad is ever-so-slightly stiffer than its GBA counterpart, but minor criticisms and all that.

I had every original DS model except the very first one that was released here in 2005.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,958 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

I had every original DS model except the very first one that was released here in 2005.

Believe you'd be a lucky one so, since the OG DS's hinges weren't the best with its bulk, so you'd end up with half a DS acting as an expensive GBA.

Advertisement