Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nintendo: General Discussion

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Gunmonkey

m0P0RdJ.jpg

A bit late, but ya get the idea. So whats folks big hopes for the big N in 2018?

Looking forward to the almost confirmed Direct later this month for an idea of the next few months releases, and then E3 when we might get hints and bigger games further out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭wheresmahbombs

Majora's Mask is a ******* brilliant game. I'd personally take it over Ocarina of Time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭Pac1Man

Stupid question: if you buy something from CEX online and it doesn't work, can you bring it back to any CEX shop for a replacement?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,260 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Ripping off another game is something, but taking the name of an IP is on a whole other level to me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,431 ✭✭✭MilesMorales1

Switch is the fastest selling video game system of all time in the US!

https://twitter.com/NintendoAmerica/status/948901835284283393

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,052 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

One of my kids got Monopoly Gamer for Christmas, it is quite good fun, kids love it, and it's good bit quicker than the normal monopoly. (only bears a passing resemblance to the original).

159140.jpg
    https://www.smythstoys.com/ie/en-ie/toys/games-puzzles-and-books/family-board-games/monopoly-gamer-super-mario/p/159140?gclid=Cj0KCQiAp8fSBRCUARIsABPL6Jbfxw8r1qhEYCzP8s6UWob6rXcCmmke0y1pSEi39Yn0-yVB21G7bgEaAr_SEALw_wcB

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,456 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

One of my kids got Monopoly Gamer for Christmas, it is quite good fun, kids love it, and it's good bit quicker than the normal monopoly. (only bears a passing resemblance to the original).

159140.jpg
    https://www.smythstoys.com/ie/en-ie/toys/games-puzzles-and-books/family-board-games/monopoly-gamer-super-mario/p/159140?gclid=Cj0KCQiAp8fSBRCUARIsABPL6Jbfxw8r1qhEYCzP8s6UWob6rXcCmmke0y1pSEi39Yn0-yVB21G7bgEaAr_SEALw_wcB

Same in this house, it's surprisingly good fun. Might see about getting the additional characters at some point.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,052 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

Andrew76 wrote: »
    Same in this house, it's surprisingly good fun. Might see about getting the additional characters at some point.

I got three (Luigi, Tanooki Mario & Diddy Kong), they aren't blind bags either which is handy. Though I got mine from amazon so it was pure luck they were all different! I'm terrible at it, played a good few times and seem to manage to come last, every, single, time.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

Found it strange. It's not monopoly really and it's the gamer Monopoly not Mario Monopoly but only features Neil stuff. It's all recent stuff too. And no jokey Mario themed chance/community chest.
    Also the five coins should have a star/red coin or something like that.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 803 ✭✭✭BelovedAunt

Lads I got Skyward Sword for the Wii about 5 years ago but never played it. It's still sealed and seems to go for good prices on ebay so I'm not sure whether to sell it on or play it. Does anyone know what I might roughly get for it on adverts? Thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,671 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

Lads I got Skyward Sword for the Wii about 5 years ago but never played it. It's still sealed and seems to go for good prices on ebay so I'm not sure whether to sell it on or play it. Does anyone know what I might roughly get for it on adverts? Thanks.

It divides opinion round here, cos of the motion controls.

I absolutely loved it, though. You'd be mad not to play it, I think.

(It does take a couple of hours to get going, though)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,017 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

I found it to be a complete bag of stink. Only Zelda game I found to be disappointing, awful, just awful.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,783 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I had no problems with the motion controls in Skyward Sword. In fact I though they worked brilliantly and added loads to the game in all the clever ways they used them.... except flying the bird which was an absolute nightmare.

However the main problem with Skyward Sword is the structure. It's exhausting. There's no overworld and everything in the game is a dungeon. Even getting to the dungeon has the area around it revert into the state of what is for all intents and purposes a dungeon. The pacing is all off and it has no exploration down time.

Far and away the weakest Zelda I've played.

It's definitely not the best Zelda, but I didn't dislike it either.

The motion controls are hit-or-miss.

Puzzles are everywhere in the game, which makes it feel like a dungeon. It's also linear as hell and your hand is constantly being held.

In terms of structure, Breath of the Wild (along with Zelda 1) is the polar opposite of Skyward Sword.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,017 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

REDMOND, Wash.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Nintendo Switch sold more units in December than any other video game system, according to the NPD Group, which tracks video game sales in the United States. Holiday shoppers purchased 1.5 million Nintendo Switch systems during the five-week reporting period of December, which is a critical month for the video game industry. Since its launch 10 months ago, Nintendo Switch has sold more than 4.8 million units, making it the fastest-selling home console in U.S. history.

The Nintendo 3DS family of systems also demonstrated continued strength, posting its best sales month since December 2014. Collectively, the different versions of Nintendo 3DS hardware sold more than 750,000 units in the U.S. in December, a 27 percent increase over the same period a year ago. The sales also pushed the Nintendo 3DS family of systems to a new milestone of more than 21 million sold in the U.S.

Combined hardware sales of Nintendo Switch, Nintendo 3DS and the Super Nintendo Entertainment System: Super NES Classic Edition system topped 2.6 million units, which accounted for more than half of all hardware sold during the month.

Four Nintendo Switch games finished high on the December sales charts for individual titles: Super Mario Odyssey at No. 3, Mario Kart 8 Deluxe at No. 4, The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild at No. 9 and Splatoon 2 at No. 16. Additionally, Pokémon Ultra Sun and Pokémon Ultra Moon for Nintendo 3DS finished No. 13 and No. 14, respectively.

NOA PR

Nintendo Labo has been announced.

What are your opinions?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,264 ✭✭✭✭manual_man

Nintendo Labo has been announced.

What are your opinions?

I like it, although it's obviously aimed a young demographic. Amazing creative minds at Nintendo. I can see a lot of children getting a lot of fun and excitement out of it, and by extension the adults that help them with it or just get to see them enjoying themselves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,671 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

I love Nintendo, but it's not for me.

I'll stick to the thousands of other ways they have of dragging money out of me.

manual_man wrote: »
    I like it, although it's obviously aimed a young demographic. Amazing creative minds at Nintendo.

I've got to agree.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,182 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Getting a pokeball 2ds xl this afternoon was wondering what's the general opinion on the quality of the new 2ds xl are they sturdy I went through 4 2ds consoles dropping 2 other 2 water damage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Banjo

It doesn't sound like build quality should be your primary concern, ham hands!

My daughter has the pokeball one. Seems decent enough - didn't notice any loose screen or flexy casing issues - but she hasn't dropped it. And neither should you.

I'm still gonna git you and gut you boy soon as I get Ham sized gloves

I'm more inclined to drop it now due to sight problems

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

I'm more inclined to drop it now due to sight problems

Buy a wrist strap for it, think there is a slot on all DS's for them

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,626 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Buy some Sugru an apply some grippy grips to the outer case, make it easier to hold.
    It's a great machine, Cidonalad got it for Xmas and is using it every day.

Getting a pokeball 2ds xl this afternoon was wondering what's the general opinion on the quality of the new 2ds xl are they sturdy I went through 4 2ds consoles dropping 2 other 2 water damage.

Very unsturdy. I’d go so far as to describe them as fragile.

I had a look at it and am reconsidering it, it's on reserve for me until close of business tomorrow.

This isn't Nintendo related, but I still feel its relevant
    Microsoft is planning to bring its own exclusive Xbox games, published through Microsoft Studios, to the company’s Xbox Game Pass subscription. Future games, including Sea of Thieves, will be available via subscription on the same day they’re available to purchase at retail stores or through the Microsoft Store.

https://www.theverge.com/2018/1/23/16922558/microsoft-xbox-game-pass-subscription-future-games-microsoft-studios

Now theres arguments for and against such a thing, and certainly I wouldn't suggest all switch games should follow such a route. But the fact MS will do for a huge catalogue of games, and Nintendo can't even do such a scheme with NES/SNES games, and instead is an old miser with its retro and digital game releases (of its first party back catalogue) is bad and they should feel bad about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

It'll be a great deal if Microsoft keep bringing out first party games constantly which remains to be seen. It's already a decent deal to have the pass and with the first party games it's even better, if Microsoft keep releasing 1st party content to keep repeat subscribers. It'll need this because of the hit this will almost certainly take in retail copies and with retailers themselves.

Will be interesting to see what Nintendo's plans are for the future in this area.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,456 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

This isn't Nintendo related, but I still feel its relevant

https://www.theverge.com/2018/1/23/16922558/microsoft-xbox-game-pass-subscription-future-games-microsoft-studios

Now theres arguments for and against such a thing, and certainly I wouldn't suggest all switch games should follow such a route. But the fact MS will do for a huge catalogue of games, and Nintendo can't even do such a scheme with NES/SNES games, and instead is an old miser with its retro and digital game releases (of its first party back catalogue) is bad and they should feel bad about it.

It's great news for us Games Pass subscribers (already a great deal tbh). To be fair to MS, Game Pass and EA Access are great value.

I'd be shocked if Nintendo ever released current gen first party games for free on a subscription service, I'd be happy if they just get a basic service going in the first place that's value for money.

Advertisement