Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nintendo: General Discussion

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭earthwormjack

Nintendo's software sales are pretty big so far. Impressive numbers all around really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,331 ✭✭✭AMGer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭wheresmahbombs

I'm definitely not a collector, so I look more towards value for money rather than prestige. Which means that I'll also pass.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 803 ✭✭✭BelovedAunt

Hi lads, I have a windwaker special edition Wii u and I’m just wondering what they typically go for second hand? Thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,017 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

Hi lads, I have a windwaker special edition Wii u and I’m just wondering what they typically go for second hand? Thanks.

If you're selling I'll take it off your hands for a tenner.

• Advertisement

CeX give €9 trade in value. Not great at all.

But looks like €25 if you go on Adverts.

Never mind, I'm an idiot... read that as the game, not the console. :rolleyes:

If it's the console.... why sell it at all? I'd hang on to that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Deano7788

Could be wrong but I think they mean the actual Special Edition Wii U that was released. No idea how much they go for though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 803 ✭✭✭BelovedAunt

Never mind, I'm an idiot... read that as the game, not the console. :rolleyes:

If it's the console.... why sell it at all? I'd hang on to that.
    Deano7788 wrote: »
    Could be wrong but I think they mean the actual Special Edition Wii U that was released. No idea how much they go for though.

Thanks lads yes it's the console. I want to sell it to get a switch.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,626 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I was trying out my new 3rd party controller for the Switch and there appeared to be a sh1t ton of lag, I'd noticed some problems with timing before but this was off putting.
    However, a quick Google revealed that someone had turned on some picture enhancer on the display.
    Once returned to game mode the lag vanished!
    The controller works like a charm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,260 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

NES mini is back in stores June 29th. Just see articles for US and Japan but probably same for Europe

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,529 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Just had a listen to Lilly Zaldivar's new Nintendo Entertainment Show podcast. The NVC guys have nothing to worry about. :o

It might get better over time.

https://twitter.com/NesPodcast/status/995700875980034048

Remember a few weeks back there was all the news that Nintendo (and Sony, Micrososft, ...) needed to update their warranty terms? Well, Nintendo (and Sony) have done that:
    Nintendo And Sony's Console Warranties Now Suck A Little Less [Kotaku]

But you gotta love this line in Nintendo's updated warranty:
    WARRANTY LIMITATIONS

THIS WARRANTY SHALL NOT APPLY IF THIS PRODUCT HAS BEEN DAMAGED BY PRODUCTS NOT SOLD OR LICENSED BY NINTENDO (INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, ADAPTERS, SOFTWARE, AND POWER SUPPLIES).

No doubt that's aimed directly at the unofficial docks. :pac:

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,455 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

So I got one of those 128GB microSD cards on sale on Amazon that was posted here recently (thanks op), not sure I want to use it just yet as I have a decent bit of system memory free. Am I correct in saying that once you put in the memory card, games will automatically download to it and there's no option to move them back to system memory?

Think they do. I got mine today as well. . Must download some of the demos and try them. I know I don't need the card for that but just keep forgetting there are plenty available.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,561 ✭✭✭Rhyme

We tend to get the bad/ambiguous news posted here so here's something positive but largely irrelevant, YAAAY!

Switch sold more units in Japan last week than all other consoles combined

http://nintendotoday.com/switch-sold-more-units-in-japan-last-week-than-all-other-consoles-combined/

I could try and skew this news into a negative light but... I won't. YAAAY!

That's some spin by them. I was only commenting yesterday that overall, Japan is still in a bad place regarding the games industry. They don't care for home consoles as much anymore and even the handheld market is slowly being eroded by mobile games. It looked like the Switch would be different and maybe it will be overall, we'll see in time.

But a game selling ~25,000 and getting top spot for the week and a system selling ~30,000 is not impressive, far from it. Labo is still struggling to sell too. It's just scraped by the 200,000 mark after a month on sale(Nintendo shipped 500,000 in the first week). Yes it's a quiet time of year and when titles like Pokemon come out there'll be a colossal spike in sales.

See, Rhyme, that's how you do it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,323 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

sligeach wrote: »
    That's some spin by them.

Listen to the master of spin lads, he knows what he's talking about :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 496 ✭✭Maxpfizer

That's some spin by them. I was only commenting yesterday that overall, Japan is still in a bad place regarding the games industry. They don't care for home consoles as much anymore and even the handheld market is slowly being eroded by mobile games. It looked like the Switch would be different and maybe it will be overall, we'll see in time.

But a game selling ~25,000 and getting top spot for the week and a system selling ~30,000 is not impressive, far from it. Labo is still struggling to sell too. It's just scraped by the 200,000 mark after a month on sale(Nintendo shipped 500,000 in the first week). Yes it's a quiet time of year and when titles like Pokemon come out there'll be a colossal spike in sales.

Was anyone ever expecting Labo to sell "well"? It seems like a very specific product aimed at a very specific audience.

How well would similar "science" toys sell in comparison?

Same with a game or a console selling x amount...

If it's the top selling console in Week Y then it's top selling and that's that. So it's selling better than the competition.

What's not clear to me is exactly what would be considered a successful figure?

Something I thought about Labo is that, while it is aimed at a younger audience, there may be things that came up in the development that will become part of something else someday.

Kind of like how the Wii U flopped but it is obviously the basis of the idea of the Switch, which has been a massive success.

The numbers are facts. The spin is turning them into something amazing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭earthwormjack

The labo variety pack is selling well enough with 50-60% of its initial shipment gone already, media create gave estimates of 300k(for variety kit, 100k for robot kit I think) first shipment so that's doing ok. Robo kit isn't doing as well though which was expected.

The seems like the standard post golden week drop really, with sales dropping slightly overall.

Nintendo software sales still pretty big though compared to everything else.

Labo will not be front loaded like a typical game in my opinion. It'll have steady enough legs with big enough jumps at holidays.

Rhyme wrote: »
    We tend to get the bad/ambiguous news posted here so here's something positive but largely irrelevant, YAAAY!

Switch sold more units in Japan last week than all other consoles combined

http://nintendotoday.com/switch-sold-more-units-in-japan-last-week-than-all-other-consoles-combined/

I could try and skew this news into a negative light but... I won't. YAAAY!

I'm just looking at that and seeing that the Vita outsold the Xbox One almost 30:1. :eek:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,626 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

The numbers are facts. The spin is turning them into something amazing.

Or turning reports into something depressing.

A little honest reporting of objective fact rather than some subjective opinion is warranted or, if issuing an opinion, state it as so rather than offer it as fact, which seems to happen a lot around here.

I'm just looking at that and seeing that the Vita outsold the Xbox One almost 30:1. :eek:

You'd have to imagine that those that are buying PS Vita consoles are likely to be the equivalent of grandparents who bought their grandkids a Atari 2600 for Christmas, instead of a Megadrive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭Gyan84

I like my ps vita :o

It's still doing well in Japan with the release of new titles like the persona 3/5 spin offs and the baseball game that sells millions over there.

If they ported Tokyo Mirage Sessions to the Switch it might help me stop pouring 100+ hours into Persona 4 Golden once every year or two :pac:

Gyan84 wrote: »
    I like my ps vita :o

It's still doing well in Japan with the release of new titles like the persona 3/5 spin offs and the baseball game that sells millions over there.

If they ported Tokyo Mirage Sessions to the Switch it might help me stop pouring 100+ hours into Persona 4 Golden once every year or two :pac:

I have one as well, but only for TxK!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 496 ✭✭Maxpfizer

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    I have one as well, but only for TxK!

Space... is everything.

Nintendo DS sees new life as the ‘Neon Advance’ [Polygon]

Basic gist is, they take an old Nintendo DS with the top screen broken at the hinge, and hack a light bar into the hinge:

slack_imgs_1.jpg

And I think it's really cool.

• Advertisement

Nintendo Apply For N64 Trademark

http://www.japanesenintendo.com/post/174148107484

N64 Mini perhaps.

Advertisement