Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nintendo: General Discussion

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,017 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

Notice of the 78th annual general meeting of shareholders

https://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/pdf/2018/convocation_notice1806e.pdf

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,801 ✭✭✭iamtony

sligeach wrote: »

Jesus christ sligeach please post a few positive news stories before I cut my wrists!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭Pac1Man

iamtony wrote: »
    Jesus christ sligeach please post a few positive news stories before I cut my wrists!

That guy in the bed has already slashed his eyes.

Pac1Man wrote: »
    That guy in the bed has already slashed his eyes.

Genuine lol!

Ubisoft Says Next Gen is Last; Microsoft Looks Beyond Platforms

A portion of the interview:
    ...Ubisoft co-founder and CEO Yves Guillemot said he believes game consoles only have one more generation left in them before they fade away to be replaced completely by the ability to stream games to a multitude of platform-agnostic devices.

“I think we will see another generation, but there is a good chance that step-by-step we will see less and less hardware,” Guillemot said. “With time, I think streaming will become more accessible to many players and make it not necessary to have big hardware at home.

“There will be one more console generation and then after that, we will be streaming, all of us.”

Guillemot told Variety in a recent interview that he believes that the ability to stream AAA games to more screens was one of the biggest innovations coming in the game industry.

“It is going to help the AAA game industry grow much faster,” he said. “We have to work on the accessibility of those games, to make sure they can be played on any device, but the fact that we will be able to stream those games on mobile phones and television screens without a console is going to change a lot of the industry.”

A big part of that evolution is the growing use already by game developers of cloud servers, where the heaviest work of a computer is being done by outside servers, not in a person’s home or inside their console.

Guillemot believes that as more developers make use of that technology to personalize play for gamers, it will become more accessible to all developers and eventually become ubiquitous enough to do most of the work of a game console.

There are already a number of companies experimenting with different technologies that allow a person to play high-end games on basic laptops and other sorts of devices. Nvidia’s Geforce Now service is currently in a free beta. The graphics chip company said the technology “transforms any mac or PC into a high-performance gaming rig.”

Valve, which owns the largest online PC gaming store in the world, recently expanded its Link service from streaming a game from a high-end PC to a low-end one in a person’s house, to include the ability to stream games to a smartphone.

“There are quite a few people that are working on streaming, like Nvidia,” Guillemot said. “So, we think it’s a trend and that it will continue to evolve. Eventually, the technology will improve dramatically, which will allow us to have a very smooth experience in the big cities of the world.”...

https://variety.com/2018/gaming/features/death-of-the-console-1202833926/

Capcom have already started by streaming Resident Evil 7 on Switch.

• Advertisement

Super Mario Galaxy at 1080p! Official Nintendo Wii Emulator Analysis - Tegra X1/Shield TV Gameplay
    How might Wii games run on Switch? Well here's a potential answer - with Nintendo's support we have Super Mario Galaxy officially running on an Nvidia Shield TV - using the same Tegra X1 part as its hybrid console. This is thanks to a very accomplished emulator running behind the scenes, though there are plenty of pros and cons to this approach as Tom and Rich discuss.

So the Tegra X1 (officially) emulating Mario Galaxy; and remarkably cleanly at that. Paving the way for some GameCube/Wii games on the Switch? I certainly hope so!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,626 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

That's what I really want for Fathers Day, a Super Mario Galaxy bundle on the Switch!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    That's what I really want for Fathers Day, a Super Mario Galaxy bundle on the Switch!

That's putting a lot of unfair pressure on CiDoNaLaD...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,260 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

If he arranges for it to be announced at E3 with a release within a week, he can get it. How hard can that be?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

I don't get the super smash bros love at all

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,626 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

naughtb4 wrote: »

I've owned every version and not liked any of them.

I love it. Took a while to get into it but the online battles are great.
    There is a learning curve that needs to be mastered before you can appricate the brilliance.

iamtony wrote: »

I love it. Took a while to get into it but the online battles are great.
    There is a learning curve that needs to be mastered before you can appricate the brilliance.
    Again though it's online. I don't play my Switch online and use it primarily for the commute. It's just going to pass me, and millions of others by

Again though it's online. I don't play my Switch online and use it primarily for the commute. It's just going to pass me, and millions of others by

A massive part of, and its appeal in Smash Bros. is playing online, just like MK8. Nintendo are constantly and heavily promoting Switch with the line "Play anytime, anywhere, with anyone". Can you really play someone online while travelling on a bus or train or out and about? It reminds me of when Nintendo said you could take your Wii U gamepad to different rooms in your house and keep playing. That was a bit deceitful. The advertising line comes with caveats. Yes, separately, you can play anytime, yes you can play anywhere and yes you can play with anyone(provided the game has multiplayer options and online multiplayer options). But combined, anywhere with anyone, only realistically works under certain conditions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,323 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Can you really play someone online while travelling on a bus or train or out and about?

You could hotspot your Switch to your phone and use 4G if your travelling/commuting. Lots of buses and trains have WIFI now so you should be able to get an internet connection anywhere realistically.

TitianGerm wrote: »
    You could hotspot your Switch to your phone and use 4G if your travelling/commuting. Lots of buses and trains have WIFI now so you should be able to get an internet connection anywhere realistically.

The internet connection on buses and trains is barely good enough or me to consistently access work emails let alone play Fortnite

The internet connection on buses and trains is barely good enough or me to consistently access work emails let alone play Fortnite

Use 4G then if you need to get online?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Grassey

sligeach wrote:
    A massive part of, and its appeal in Smash Bros. is playing online, just like MK8.

A massive part of the appeal for SB & MK is having mates over for beers and games on TV. I don't see any appeal to this online playing randomers ****e.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,671 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

I tend to get roughly 100% of my Nintendo news from Boards, so thanks to yous all for posting all the stuff you do.

Would someone mind confirming for me:

A) That's it for E3, nowt to get excited about?

B) Was there any mention of Resi 7, at all, at all?

C) Can I get Resi Revelations 2 without buying 1 (again)?

Thanks very much.

Ol' Donie wrote: »
    I tend to get roughly 100% of my Nintendo news from Boards, so thanks to yous all for posting all the stuff you do.

Thanks very much.

A) That's probably it. I still feel yesterday was a joke and Nintendo will have a 2nd Direct today saying "Haha, we got you!" but they won't. I was expecting to see so much more. Super Mario Odyssey DLC, that Star Fox rumour, new 3rd party support, new Nintendo game surprises, Pikmin 4, Yoshi, a look at Bayonetta 3, Shin Megami Tensei V. A glimpse at Metroid Prime 4. Talk more about online, what's coming exactly in September, announce new features on the Switch, a browser maybe, Youtube, Netflix, etc. Nintendo normally have a couple of surprises away from the Direct but we got nothing yesterday.

B) Nope. That may be Japan exclusive. It requires a really good broadband connection, and their Internet infrastructure is far better than in the West.

C) Yes, you can buy them separately. They're only available digitally here anyway. I think it's €20.

• Advertisement

Ol' Donie wrote: »

Thanks very much.

Have to say Sligeach is great for the news. That's where the majority of my information comes from!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

You get a discount on Resi Revelations 2 if you have the first, plus Resi Revelations 2 was on sale in the eshop earlier in the week, so it might still be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭wheresmahbombs

A) That's probably it. I still feel yesterday was a joke and Nintendo will have a 2nd Direct today saying "Haha, we got you!" but they won't. I was expecting to see so much more. Super Mario Odyssey DLC, that Star Fox rumour, new 3rd party support, new Nintendo game surprises, Pikmin 4, Yoshi, a look at Bayonetta 3, Shin Megami Tensei V. A glimpse at Metroid Prime 4. Talk more about online, what's coming exactly in September, announce new features on the Switch, a browser maybe, Youtube, Netflix, etc. Nintendo normally have a couple of surprises away from the Direct but we got nothing yesterday.

With all that in perspective, it's easy to see how it was a joke.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,052 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

Have 4 nintendo device's on the go in our house at the moment. I'm playing homebrew on an old dsi, eldest is playing Minecraft online with her friend on the Wii U, communication via viber, middle young un on fortnite on the switch, and the youngest got a notion in his head to play Luigi's Mansion (gc) on the Wii.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

https://twitter.com/HardDriveMag/status/1007265965237731328

Maybe this one needs context... The Hard Times is a satire site, covering a lot of gaming. A long time ago they posted this...

... which included this delightful picture:
    waluigiodyssey.jpg

Netflix recently used this picture in a promo for a (fake) documentary:

You gots to love the interwebs sometimes...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,499 ✭✭✭Nollog

Also it was never every Nintendo character, it was every character that had been in smash before.

Mainstream don't get us :'(

I was listening to Classic Hits 4fm about half an hour ago and they were talking about gaming addiction. They were saying that from today the World Health Organisation recognises video game addiction as a disease.

Video Game Addiction Tries to Move From Basement to Doctor’s Office

https://mobile.nytimes.com/2018/06/17/business/video-game-addiction.html

WHO decides video game addiction is a disease

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/health/who-decides-video-game-addiction-is-a-disease-1.3534502

So how many of you are diseased? :p

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭deadl0ck

So - approx 50 yo-yo's to spend on eShop (part of my birthday present from my wife).
    What to get ?
    I had a look on the SA Store and I can get Battle Chasers, Hollow Knight and Blossom Tales (~Total about 56 Euro)

Any other suggestions ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

deadl0ck wrote: »
    So - approx 50 yo-yo's to spend on eShop (part of my birthday present from my wife).
    What to get ?
    I had a look on the SA Store and I can get Battle Chasers, Hollow Knight and Blossom Tales (~Total about 56 Euro)

Any other suggestions ?

SteamWorld Dig 2 (and the prequel are amazing, but if you just get one, get the sequel)

Blossom Tales was pretty good, but I'd wait for a sale. I think I got it for under a tenner in the Irish store a while back. I did finish it, and while it's not got the full charm of a proper Zelda game, it's an interesting distraction, but honestly, with Hollow Knight, you've got 30+ hours ahead of you, and it's a much better game.

Dead Cells is out soon, and supposed to be very good, but Hollow Knight could scratch that Metroidvania itch for a while.

There's also Yokus Island Express. I have to get back into this, but my hour or so with it was fun. It's like pinball meets Metroid-ish.

Hollow Knight will do you for a while though. One of the only games in recent memory that I could not put down.

Advertisement