Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nintendo: General Discussion

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,775 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Gave it a spin in handheld mode and found the buttons really unresponsive in SMB3.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

keane2097 wrote:
    Gave it a spin in handheld mode and found the buttons really unresponsive in SMB3.

Same I was adjusting to it unknown to myself. Apparently the online co-op is poor too on the NES games.
    Have to say too about the sports games, I wasn't expecting them to age well but they play like stuff you'd find on a 250 games on 1 cartridge style deals.
    I wish even more now they put Gameboy or Snes games on here. A Link's Awakening, Tetris or F-Zero would be better than the vast majority of what's there now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,775 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

ERG89 wrote: »
    Same I was adjusting to it unknown to myself. Apparently the online co-op is poor too on the NES games.
    Have to say too about the sports games, I wasn't expecting them to age well but they play like stuff you'd find on a 250 games on 1 cartridge style deals.
    I wish even more now they put Gameboy or Snes games on here. A Link's Awakening, Tetris or F-Zero would be better than the vast majority of what's there now.

Yeah I fired it up last night fully expecting to swallow the €20 for the sake of the NES games despite the fact that I doubt I will ever play anything online or need the cloud saves.

But the games I tried are just... so bad. I'd say I tried maybe six different ones and besides SMB3 there is absolutely no chance I would ever play any of the rest. I like the 'Nesflix' idea but the offering is so weak I wouldn't spend €20 a year on it at the moment - and I'd spend €20 on anything.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

keane2097 wrote: »
    Yeah I fired it up last night fully expecting to swallow the €20 for the sake of the NES games despite the fact that I doubt I will ever play anything online or need the cloud saves.

But the games I tried are just... so bad. I'd say I tried maybe six different ones and besides SMB3 there is absolutely no chance I would ever play any of the rest. I like the 'Nesflix' idea but the offering is so weak I wouldn't spend €20 a year on it at the moment - and I'd spend €20 on anything.

Agreed. They should have launched with a lot more. Off the top of my head

* Super Mario Bros 2
    * Contra
    * Zelda 2
    * Kirby
    * Kid Icarus
    * Castlevania I and II and III
    * Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles
    * Little Nemo
    * Rad Gravity
    * Faxanadu
    * Metal Gear
    * Battletoads
    * Time Lord

I'm sure there's some I've missed, but those are games I loved when I had a NES that aren't on the service, excluding ones like Mega Man which won't come to it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,626 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Out of interest, in handheld mode with both joycons or with just one?

That one!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,626 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I own many of the ones worth playing and their superior sequels.
    Gradius is great but Gradius II, Salamander and Parodius are all better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,747 ✭✭✭Inviere

jester77 wrote: »
    Anyone else struggling with the controls on the SMB3, it feels awkward on the switch, or at least in handheld mode.

On a joycon, I wouldn't wonder why. Those games really need a proper dpad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,801 ✭✭✭iamtony

Inviere wrote: »
    On a joycon, I wouldn't wonder why. Those games really need a proper dpad.

Nah I played it all night long using the button D pad set up in handheld and it was fine. Only slight issue was those times where you run and have to duck and slide under something. But I adjusted after a few go's now I'm back to being my usual awesome Mario playing god.
    Using the x & a combination is better than a & b for me, it's more like the snes layout. Took me a while to realise you can use x instead of b.

Was looking at a website, and spotted that it was created by a crowd called DataDyne Consulting. Curiosity (and the fear of an alien invasion) got the better of me, so I went to check their website.

Here's their logo:
    33cdee_bbc3b5a3ee374111837f7bc5dbe74821.png

And here's the real dataDyne's logo:
    mission18_14.jpg

For shame!

(Wonder if it's run by Filip Miucin?)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Grassey

How perfectly dark...

I've a vague memory that pre launch there was a whole datadyne website set up which was the first time I can recall a game trying to create a real world corporate atmosphere to tie in with the game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭Pac1Man

What is dead may never die.

just-dance-2019-wii.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,260 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Woohoo! Trip to Orlando paid by Wilfinity. Count me in. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭PaddyFagan

Anyone any suggestions what to do with Platinum points - I've only got a switch, so most of the things I can 'buy' with them seem to be DS/WiiU focused??? (They expire at the end of October, so just wondering am I about to lose out)

Paddy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,260 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Can they be used for online sub?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,264 ✭✭✭✭manual_man

Breakfast, a bottle of rum, then hit the park

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,617 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Hi

Hoping someone can advise.

Im going to be selling my Switch and just want to know the downloaded games are they tied to my Nintendo account or will they be stored locally on the switch/memory card and therefor I can delete the my account from the Switch and the games will remain?

So, I'm after getting a 128gb card to replace the current 64gb one in my Switch.
    What's the procedure for this, how can I avoid having to download everything again?

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    So, I'm after getting a 128gb card to replace the current 64gb one in my Switch.
    What's the procedure for this, how can I avoid having to download everything again?

For me, a copy/paste worked perfectly for digital titles, but I needed to download the patches for the physical cards again. I formatted the new card on the Switch before I did any copy/paste, but I doubt that matters at all. (As long as it's FAT32, Switch is happy.)

Having said that, there's really mixed info about this... some report that a straight copy/paste from the old card to the new card did the job. But the majority report that they needed to download everything again anyway.

I'd say try the copy/paste with a couple of smaller titles and see if it works. But because you "like to travel" with your Switch, my money is on re-download everything. You could use both cards, and swap between them, but then it becomes a pain to keep track of things.

(Saves are internal memory, so no worries there.)

Here's our first look at Wiimote and Nunchuk prototypes for the GameCube [Eurogamer]

Prototype Wiimote for the GameCube, back when the Wii was still called the Revolution. Makes a lot of sense that prototyping happened on the GCN actually, since the Wii was just an upgraded GCN.

https://twitter.com/spmrp/status/1056030564002582530

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭deadl0ck

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Maybe a clone drive type software to make sure you get everything on the card exactly, eg https://www.partitionwizard.com/partitionmagic/clone-sd-card-to-pc.html

Edit: can you keep us posted with how you get on? I'm thinking I'll have to do the same soon

deadl0ck wrote: »
    Maybe a clone drive type software to make sure you get everything on the card exactly, eg https://www.partitionwizard.com/partitionmagic/clone-sd-card-to-pc.html

Edit: can you keep us posted with how you get on? I'm thinking I'll have to do the same soon

You don't need software. Just copy the folder from your old card to a location on your pc. Make sure the new card is the same format as your old one and copy the folder back onto that. I've done it twice.

Here's our first look at Wiimote and Nunchuk prototypes for the GameCube [Eurogamer]

Prototype Wiimote for the GameCube, back when the Wii was still called the Revolution. Makes a lot of sense that prototyping happened on the GCN actually, since the Wii was just an upgraded GCN.

https://twitter.com/spmrp/status/1056030564002582530

One of the regulars here owns one of those just gorgeous teal Gamecubes, a development model.
    It would be beyond amazing to find the prototype Wiimotes though!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,015 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

Nintendo FY3/2019 2nd Quarter Earnings Release, Supplemental Information & Top Selling Titles

https://www.resetera.com/threads/nintendo-fy3-2019-2nd-quarter-earnings-release-supplemental-information-top-selling-titles.77806/

To me, there's good and bad in those numbers. 1st party software sales are great for some games on Switch. But if you look at the hardware, they sold only 5 million in the first 6 months and expect to sell 15 million in the last 6 months of the year. I don't think that's going to happen. Did a search for the latest Switch news and this was right at the top.

Nintendo's Switch Struggles to Keep Up With Sony's Older PS4

https://www.bloombergquint.com/markets/nintendo-s-switch-struggles-to-keep-up-with-sony-s-older-ps4

It's very difficult for anything to go up against the PS4 right now - it's at the stage in its life where it's gotten affordable, there's some really amazing games already out (and Sony have had some amazing exclusives in the past few months) - if I had a gun to my head, and had to choose PS4 or Switch, I'd go for the PS4. It's hard to justify a Switch at 300 over a PS4 for 250 with a game.

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭earthwormjack

I don't think they'll reach 20 million either, I do think it'll finish up at amount the 18+ million mark which is still quite good considering Nintendo cruised a little this year. Hardware is up YoY for this quarter so things are ramping up for Christmas nicely.

Software sales are excellent for the majority of 1st party games like you said though.

LEAK – N64 Classic Edition Announcement Imminent

https://gamingintel.com/nintendo/leak-n64-classic-edition-announcement-imminent/

Some flesh and details on the rumours.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭nedd

Bit of a random question.

I am downloading Skyrim on the Switch and it is taking an absolute age!! Are downloads normally this slow? My internet is fairly good so dont think that is the problem.

I did stick a 32GB card in that is probably a couple of years old. It is a good brand but not the newest. Wouldnt expect the SD card to be this slow either.

Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭earthwormjack

nedd wrote: »
    Bit of a random question.

I am downloading Skyrim on the Switch and it is taking an absolute age!! Are downloads normally this slow? My internet is fairly good so dont think that is the problem.

I did stick a 32GB card in that is probably a couple of years old. It is a good brand but not the newest. Wouldnt expect the SD card to be this slow either.

Thanks

Mine is slow too. At least 5 times slower than any other wifi capable device in my house.

Advertisement