Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nintendo: General Discussion

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭blockfighter

The Nal wrote: »
    Thanks all. Looking to pick one up after Christmas.

It's a great piece of kit. It's already my favourite console ever. Enjoy it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,260 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Nintendo's generosity knows no bounds.
    For my birthday month, offering me 30% off the latest games such as
    3DS - Super Mario Kart, Dragon Quest 8, Pocket Jockey, Paper Mario Sticker Star
    Wii U - Mario Kart 8, Mario Kart 64, Xenoblade X, Super Mario 3D World

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,323 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

CastorTroy wrote: »
    Nintendo's generosity knows no bounds.
    For my birthday month, offering me 30% off the latest games such as
    3DS - Super Mario Kart, Dragon Quest 8, Pocket Jockey, Paper Mario Sticker Star
    Wii U - Mario Kart 8, Mario Kart 64, Xenoblade X, Super Mario 3D World

Sony or Microsoft never gave me anything in over 10 years for my birthday. Even if the offer is crap at least Nintendo are offering something

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

TitianGerm wrote:
    Sony or Microsoft never gave me anything in over 10 years for my birthday. Even if the offer is crap at least Nintendo are offering something

I got 300 Platinum Points this morning instead of a voucher I would usually get offered. I'd have rathered an automated email or nothing tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,015 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

Slightly Mad Studios, the developer behind Project CARS 2 is planning to release a new console in a few years. It could amount to nothing or we may remember the day a new player announced its plans to enter the console market. Either way, I thought it would be interesting to have a look at.

HERE'S A FIRST LOOK AT THE MAD BOX CONSOLE

https://m.ie.ign.com/articles/2019/01/04/heres-a-first-look-at-the-mad-box-console

https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2019/01/project-cars-studio-announces-its-next-project-a-next-gen-wireless-vr-console/
    DwEWh4MUcAAmqtg.jpg

DwES4aRV4AAwN1h.jpg

https://twitter.com/bell_sms

Ian Bell, CEO and founder of Slightly Mad Studios answered a load of questions on Twitter.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,626 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Looks like a consolized PC tbh.
    Only way the device could gain an audience is if it already has a library to access, via Steam or similar.
    Otherwise it'll be trying to eek out a slice of the console gaming pie at exactly the time that the PS5, XboxTwo and Switch sequel are taking on the market, in 2022/2023.

CiDeRmAn wrote:
    Looks like a consolized PC tbh. Only way the device could gain an audience is if it already has a library to access, via Steam or similar. Otherwise it'll be trying to eek out a slice of the console gaming pie at exactly the time that the PS5, XboxTwo and Switch sequel are taking on the market, in 2022/2023.

Problem is even a Raspberry Pi can stream your Steam games now using Link. Steam tried systems and made a huge f**king mess of it.
    Saying stuff like it'll match PC power at launch I feel will prove to be a bit of a stretch. If it does it'll cost a lot more money than rival systems that the public will know will have more support from developers.

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭earthwormjack

sligeach wrote: »

Ian Bell, CEO and founder of Slightly Mad Studios answered a load of questions on Twitter.

What he showed on Twitter is that he's pretty clueless. Even dismissing Chet Faliszek of all people on what is required for good VR. I don't think this console will amount to anything personally.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,801 ✭✭✭iamtony

Random one..So the other half is in new york and going to the Nintendo store tomorrow. She asked did I have any requests and I can't think of anything cool, any ideas? Any special editions games or controllers we can't get over here or anything like that??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

iamtony wrote: »
    Random one..So the other half is in new york and going to the Nintendo store tomorrow. She asked did I have any requests and I can't think of anything cool, any ideas? Any special editions games or controllers we can't get over here or anything like that??

They tend to have the cool World of Nintendo figures in there and in some cases it's the only place some of them are sold. They sometimes have cool free posters there too to take, great print quality.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Banjo

Corholio wrote: »
    They tend to have the cool World of Nintendo figures in there and in some cases it's the only place some of them are sold. They sometimes have cool free posters there too to take, great print quality.

Smyths are offloading orange inkling girl for a tenner. So not her!

Banjo wrote: »
    Smyths are offloading orange inkling girl for a tenner. So not her!

Probably because she has Ginkgivitis. :p

Probably because she has Ginkgivitis. :p

Come on sligeach time to put your infinite wisdom to good use, youve mentioned loads of times about the US getting some version or this that we aren't getting etc.

iamtony wrote: »
    I didn't give here any suggestion but I didn't do to bad. The leather zelda case is tasty.
    https://photos.app.goo.gl/mqGKxaZhCft8GN5j9

She also bought herself a switch with diablo but I can't steal it on her as its downloadable. Funny enough she couldn't get a switch that didn't have grey controllers over their. She ended up buying grey and then bought a set of red joy cons.
    We now have 3 switches in the house, 8 joy cons and 3 Pro controllers(including the wired one I just got), I though that might improve the latency on smash but looking at a test on YouTube it can actually be slower than Bluetooth controllers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭Vincent Vega

What time do eShop games become playable on release date?

From my searches online I'm reading both midnight, midday and other random times.

And from peoples experience, does it differ based on whether or not the game has been pre-ordered/pre-loaded?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Grassey

I tend to find generally about 10pm Irish time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭ionapaul

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,348 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Saw a charge for €45 from Amazon on my account today and though my card had be skimmed, turns out I forgot I pre-ordered Tales of Vesperia in October. Hope it's a decent conversion now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,764 ✭✭✭Doodah7

Is it me or does there seem to be a significant shortage of joy-cons at the moment?? They seem to be out of stock everywhere I look? I assume having so many multi-player games has an effect.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,323 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Doodah7 wrote: »
    Is it me or does there seem to be a significant shortage of joy-cons at the moment?? They seem to be out of stock everywhere I look? I assume having so many multi-player games has an effect.

If your near the north Curry's have the yellow ones for £55.

I thought I saw them on Amazon for that price earlier as well but not seeing it now.

• Advertisement

AGDQ 2019 raises $2.39 million for Prevent Cancer Foundation

https://www.nintendoenthusiast.com/2019/01/13/agdq-2019-2-39-prevent-cancer-foundation/

Awesome Games Done Quick 2019 has raised ~$2.395 million for Prevent Cancer Foundation. This exceeds the $2.16 million raised at Summer Games Done Quick 2018 and $2.29 million raised at Awesome Games Done Quick 2018. They played numerous Nintendo titles, including Super Mario Odyssey and Super Metroid. It's great that the gaming community has raised so much money for a very worthy cause.

https://twitter.com/cmebaldwin/status/1084775134500716544

Just heard this on Superbunnyhop's Dad and Sons podcast and can't believe it.

Nintendo won't fire Russian boss after investigation into workplace conduct
    "He has received a formal warning."

https://www.eurogamer.net/amp/2019-01-15-nintendo-wont-fire-russian-boss-after-investigation-into-workplace-conduct

Here's their statement in full:

"Nintendo initiated a thorough investigation into each of the allegations made against the General Manager of Nintendo Russia, Mr Yasha Haddaji, in November. "While the results of the investigation acknowledge that Mr Haddaji's loss of temper on display in the video has at times also been observed in the office, none of the allegations of harassment brought forth in the wake of the video were substantiated by the investigation.

"Mr Haddaji fully acknowledges that his conduct related to him losing his temper is a breach of our Code of Conduct, and expresses his remorse to all those affected by it. He has received a formal warning and has issued an apology letter to all Nintendo Russia employees.

"Our top priority is to ensure a safe and supportive working environment for all employees. It's because of these values that we committed to a full and thorough investigation into each of the allegations against Mr Haddaji. Going forward, Nintendo of Europe will be providing more resources to Nintendo Russia to support their efforts to bring Nintendo products and experiences to Russian players.

"We want to ensure that the conduct of all our employees is in line with Nintendo's company values, and we remain committed to upholding these standards in the future."

We learned back in December that Damon Baker was leaving Nintendo, now we know where he's gone.

Nintendo's Damon Baker joins Microsoft as Head of Portfolio for Xbox

https://windowscentral.com/nintendos-damon-baker-joins-microsoft-head-portfolio-xbox

He's joined the darkside.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭Pac1Man

He's joined a company making actual innovations beyond software. Best of luck to him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 884 ✭✭✭_Godot_

Got a game off My Nintendo called Chase: Cold Case Investigations for 60 gold coins. It from the guy who did Hotel Dusk and Last Window.

I would have grabbed the Bit.Trip saga, except it's 200 gold coins, and I don't want mine to be wiped out.

Why the Nintendo Wii Shop Closing is HUGE for Gaming History! | RGT 85

https://youtube.com/watch?v=gNercNM8zQY

If you have any remaining points, remember to use them up by Wednesday.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,073 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

Why the Nintendo Wii Shop Closing is HUGE for Gaming History! | RGT 85

https://youtube.com/watch?v=gNercNM8zQY

If you have any remaining points, remember to use them up by Wednesday.

Thanks for the reminder - can't do anything with the piddly amount of points I have left (200), but more than half my eshop wii purchases weren't downloaded onto my unit when I checked earlier, which was a grand opportunity to remember that:
    a) Oh yeah, ages ago I bought virtual console copies of a bunch of SNES games I loved back in the day, and
    b) Sweet monkey jesus the Wii Eshop interface is a pain the hole if you're downloading more than one game at a time.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,626 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Such drama, good thing most Wii consoles have the homebrew channels installed by now.

• Advertisement

They since deleted it but still it's weird on a number of levels. ;)

Advertisement