Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nintendo: General Discussion

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,015 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    I don't want this to drag on but I think there is little doubt that BotW started out as a WiiU game and ended up delayed so they could move it over to the Switch platform as a launch game.
    But that is well established matter.
    The Smash comments are just wrong, in so far as it represents the latest in a fighting franchise, so the Switch game has the same relationship with the WiiU/3DS games, as Street Fighter V has with Street Fighter IV.

SSBU was built on the Wii U engine with a few tweaks and improvements. It has all the content of the Wii U version and then added all the fighters and stages from previous games. Far easier, HDifying(if you will) existing levels, characters and movesets than creating all new content. SSBU has the least new content of any previous Smash Bros game. Sakurai kept working on the game once they called it a day on Wii U/3DS.

They left the DLC in a mess on the eShop. The game is still €60 for the Wii U version, the DLC costs over €100 for all of it and that's just for one version, it's more again if you want it for both Wii U and 3DS. You look at that and then the Switch version, it's no surprise it's sold so well, over 12 million copies in little over a month. The Wii U version released after the 3DS version, combined sales are just short of 15 million, with a sales ratio of 2:1 in favour of 3DS.

I think the same thing is happening with Super Mario Maker in the background. That was just let kind of dwindle and evaporate. It's a complete game but there are a load of empty costume slots that they obviously had planned to fill in at some point. That’s going to be an enhanced version of what we got on Wii U with more effort like SSBU than say MK8D.

SSBU isn't a straight up port, it's a well enhanced version, but you can't say it's entirely new. It's kind of a grey area, for me at least.

Edit: Just seen the above comment from TitianGerm, the Switch is an evolved(enhanced port ;)) Wii U, though worse in many ways.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,348 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

If it helps you, just consider the Wii U a beta console and the games for it beta releases. They were perfected on the Switch and everybody's happy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,052 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

Ffs

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,323 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

sligeach wrote: »
    SSBU was built on the Wii U engine with a few tweaks and improvements. It has all the content of the Wii U version and then added all the fighters and stages from previous games. Far easier, HDifying(if you will) existing levels, characters and movesets than creating all new content. SSBU has the least new content of any previous Smash Bros game. Sakurai kept working on the game once they called it a day on Wii U/3DS.

They left the DLC in a mess on the eShop. The game is still €60 for the Wii U version, the DLC costs over €100 for all of it and that's just for one version, it's more again if you want it for both Wii U and 3DS. You look at that and then the Switch version, it's no surprise it's sold so well, over 12 million copies in little over a month. The Wii U version released after the 3DS version, combined sales are just short of 15 million, with a sales ratio of 2:1 in favour of 3DS.

I think the same thing is happening with Super Mario Maker in the background. That was just let kind of dwindle and evaporate. It's a complete game but there are a load of empty costume slots that they obviously had planned to fill in at some point. That’s going to be an enhanced version of what we got on Wii U with more effort like SSBU than say MK8D.

SSBU isn't a straight up port, it's a well enhanced version, but you can't say it's entirely new. It's kind of a grey area, for me at least.

Edit: Just seen the above comment from TitianGerm, the Switch is an evolved(enhanced port ;)) Wii U, though worse in many ways.

But infinitely more popular with the masses and a vastly more successful :)

[Kansai International Airport ] Nintendo Area

https://youtube.com/watch?v=DfWAP5qc0VQ

That's some collection of amiibo. It must be all of them.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,626 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I love the Amiibo, I just wish they had more of a function in games... most of mine have been entirely unused, but do sure look purdy....

MIYAMOTO: HIRING MORE DEVELOPERS IS NOT THE SOLUTION, NURTURING TALENT IS

https://nintendosoup.com/miyamoto-hiring-more-developers-is-not-the-solution-nurturing-talent-is/

Satoru Shibata Answers His First Question At Nintendo’s Q&A For Investors

https://nintendosoup.com/satoru-shibata-answers-his-first-question-at-nintendos-qa-for-investors/

Nintendo's Q3 FY2019 Q&A Palooza (Forecast revision, Miyamoto on indies and young devs, female developers at Nintendo, future of Switch)

https://www.resetera.com/threads/nintendos-q3-fy2019-q-a-palooza-forecast-revision-miyamoto-on-indies-and-young-devs-female-developers-at-nintendo-future-of-switch.98440/

Longtime Nintendo Bull Slashes Target, Says Switch has Peaked

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2019-02-08/longtime-nintendo-bull-slashes-target-says-switch-has-peaked

While Murakami is now the 4th analyst tracked by Bloomberg to have a neutral rating on Nintendo's stock, there are still another 18 who recommend buying their shares. It's interesting to look at the chart:
    960x-1.png
    "His new target price of 26,400 yen is the lowest among all analysts, who on average see shares rising to 47,235 yen."

I don't know if Nintendo can reach that high, their share price seems to be on a declining trend. Those other investors must be banking on the new Pokemon game being absolutely gargantuan.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,626 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

sligeach wrote: »
    I don't know if Nintendo can reach that high, their share price seems to be on a declining trend. Those other investors must be banking on the new Pokemon game being absolutely gargantuan.

I think this is key, there has so far been only one major franchise with an original release on the Switch, Mario Odyssey.
    That would suggest that the rest, and especially Pokemon, has a big release on the horizon and, if it's out this Autumn and heralded by an E3 showing, it's going to be a massive Winter for Nintendo and the Switch console.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,260 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Yeah the first year had Zelda, Splatoon, Mario Kart and Mario Odyssey. Last year we got Mario Party, Pokemon and Smash. This year is Pokemon and maybe Animal Crossing? Neither appeal to me so wonder if they have something else.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,782 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

CastorTroy wrote: »
    Yeah the first year had Zelda, Splatoon, Mario Kart and Mario Odyssey. Last year we got Mario Party, Pokemon and Smash. This year is Pokemon and maybe Animal Crossing? Neither appeal to me so wonder if they have something else.

At least one big game that will 'appeal to fans'.

Few decent games on the horizon as well with Yoshi's Crafted World looking lovely.

And everyone forgets Kirby last year which was a damn fine platformer.

Pokémon will be insane on the system. Smash was a big release but Pokémon will eclipse it.

Forgot Kirby. Think a Fire Emblem is due as well? Shin Megami 5? I'll probably pick up Yoshi and, if it comes out this year, Luigi's Mansion

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,782 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Yeah Fire Emblem is coming

Shin Megami Tensei 5 down as 2019 but I can see it being delayed. Hope not as SMT4 and Apocalypse were phenomenal, not to mention the remake of Strange Journey. Would be nice to see the game in Unreal engine but with no real videos, how Atlus games do get delayed and the fact all demons are being remodelled for Unreal I'd say late 2019 is a push.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,531 ✭✭✭magnumbud

Luigi's mansion, fire emblem, marvel ultimate alliance 3 exclusive too, yoshi all out this year. I'd expect something else that hasn't been announced to hit towards the end of the year. Still have no clue if shin megami tensei 5 and boyentta 3 will come out

Luigi's mansion, fire emblem, marvel ultimate alliance 3 exclusive too, yoshi all out this year. I'd expect something else that hasn't been announced to hit towards the end of the year. Still have no clue if shin megami tensei 5 and boyentta 3 will come out

Sorry hit post twice on phone by mistake and can't seem to delete on new mobile site

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

king zell on Resetera (anyone who's there should know who he is) has dropped a few nice nuggets of information today. As always take it all as rumour until officially confirmed. Also don't read on if you don't like to be potentially spoiled.

- Direct looks like it'll be on or announced on the 13th Feb.
    - Games coming this year (may or may not be announced in this Direct) are: Pikmin 3 port, Mario Maker 2, Boxboy, A new 2D Zelda (which he already hinted at previously)
    - Metroid Prime Trilogy may quite possibly be in this Direct.
    - A follow up rumour from Emily is that a new Pikmin game is in development.

Of course, these are rumours until announced otherwise but the king has been pretty reliable in the past, and it's just a bit of fun to speculate anyway.

Hasn't the new Pikmin game been in development for a long time with Miyamoto saying a couple years ago that it was nearly done?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Banjo

Yeah that was due out on the WiiU in year 3 I think

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Hasn't the new Pikmin game been in development for a long time with Miyamoto saying a couple years ago that it was nearly done?

Funnily enough, a rumour posted today that development of that was completely started over at some point, hence why hadn't heard of it in a while.

Didn't feel the need to announce that like they did Metroid, as not as many asking about it.

Was just watching the AEW ticket announcement. It's a new pro wrestling company for anyone interested. But anyway, one of their guys who is a big gamer and a (not very well kept) surprise signing just came out after a "A new foe has appeared. Challenger Approaching" card with his silhouette. Thought it was cool.

A bit random, but I came across this photo of Sakurai and SUDA51 on Twitter. SUDA51 posted it a couple of days ago.

The caption translates as: "A celebration party with Mr. Sakurai." A possible hint at Travis in SSBU in some form? SUDA51 is holding up 3 fingers, maybe signifying NMH3.

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Reebrock

Dug out my N64 for the weekend. Perfect Dark has been getting a lot of play such a good game sadly living in Goldenyes shadow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Grassey

Especially since it was superior in pretty much every way.

Remember all the talk about the n64 mini as if it was definitely coming, then nothing

I don't think Perfect Dark has aged well at all tbh.
    It's playable through the Rare Replay pack on the XboxOne, I think I prefer Goldeneye myself.

This hand-drawn Super Mario animation

https://www.reddit.com/r/BetterEveryLoop/comments/aozwpi/this_handdrawn_super_mario_animation/

This is amazing, it must have taken a huge amount of time and effort to complete.

• Advertisement

RAKUTEN SECURITIES: NINTENDO SWITCH’S CHALLENGE IN 2020 IS ACQUIRING CASUAL USERS

https://nintendosoup.com/rakuten-securities-nintendo-switchs-challenge-in-2020-is-acquiring-casual-users/

While Nintendo haven't given figures that they hope to sell next year, they did say in their recent quarterly results that they want to ship more than this year.

Advertisement