Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nintendo: General Discussion

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,529 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

I see Alphadream have filed for bankruptcy.
    They developed the great Mario and Luigi RPGs on GBA/DS/3DS (Superstar Saga, Partners in Time, Bowser's Inside Story, Dream Team, Paper Jam).

Such a shame - those games were fantastic.

https://gonintendo.com/stories/345904-alphadream-developers-of-the-mario-luigi-series-file-for-bank

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,781 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Hopefully Nintendo can step in and buy them out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Their quality was waning and the budget seemed to be too on the M&L games. I think they also did a mobile game for Sony as well, so it seems they were needing to branch out. Sad to see them collapse like that though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 241 ✭✭conormario

CNETs top 30 games of the decade. BOTW no 1. Mario Galaxy 2, Rayman Legends, ...

https://www.cnet.com/news/the-30-best-video-games-of-the-decade-ranked/

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,781 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

conormario wrote: »
    CNETs top 30 games of the decade. BOTW no 1. Mario Galaxy 2, Rayman Legends, ...

https://www.cnet.com/news/the-30-best-video-games-of-the-decade-ranked/

Really hate these 'definitive' lists from mainstream gaming press. It's utter nonsense. It's just name checking the biggest games of the last few years.

And you know it's utter **** because the person that wrote it knows nothing about videogames as the 3 best consoles of the last decade with some of the very best games of all time on them, the DS, PSP and 3DS, are absent.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,625 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

PS2...
    Ico...
    SotC...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,457 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

Does anyone know if I buy a new switch if I can access all of my purchased games from the estore?

I unfortunately lost/had stolen my switch and am getting a replacement. I've disabled that switch as my primary device on the nintendo website but am wondering if I'll still be OK to access and download everything once I get set up again?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,795 ✭✭✭sweetie

Does anyone know if I buy a new switch if I can access all of my purchased games from the estore?

I unfortunately lost/had stolen my switch and am getting a replacement. I've disabled that switch as my primary device on the nintendo website but am wondering if I'll still be OK to access and download everything once I get set up again?

Yes, you can as you've disabled the older one

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 542 ✭✭✭Nemanrio

The age old question!

I’m really thinking of investing in a switch possibly for Xmas but the last Nintendo console I had was the Gamecube and an N64 before that so not really sure whether to part with the cash & where Nintendo are at these days so have a few questions..

Is it still the case that titles that released on multiple platforms do not reach the switch? E.G. PES 2020. How is the depth & quality of titles on it now & in the future?

It does seem to be the weakest specs wise compared to its rivals yet the price doesn't seem to reflect this or am I missing something? Is there essential extras that I need?

I assume there a new version of the Switch is coming out next year as Sony & Xbox are bringing out new consoles so should I sit tight at this stage & wait for that?

What’s it the online play like?

Can recommend some games to get? There seems to be some really good titles but am not sure what ones. Am I better off downloading games or physical copies?

Any help or tips are appreciated!

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,073 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

The Switch is a welcome change from Nintendo's post-SNES performance re: 3rd party games (forced somewhat by the Wii U's commercial failure, I'd guess) so the catalogue is quite broad. Don't expect simultaneous identical releases across Switch and other current gen consoles though, it's not a given. But a significant number of critically-and-commercially-succesful indie and AAA games are getting Switch ports - including stuff like Doom Eternal as well as it-was-out-on-PC-years-ago stuff like The Witcher 3.

Be aware that the Switch's lower specs means that ports will always look less appealing on Switch than other platforms. So if there are particular ports you're interested in, check reviews first.

Download vs physical is up to you - the main difference is, physical carts can be resold, downloads obv not. But the eShop does have sales, occasionally even significant enough to take notice (again, a bit of a change with Nintendo though I note that first party games rarely get massive price cuts).

Online play's not my thing so no idea what that's like, but there's plenty on here that can advise. You get access to NES & SNES classic games if you sub to the online service, as well as Tetris 99 and cloud saves. I would say that in general Nintendo's approach to online anything is still behind the curve, so if that's important to you the Switch may be a disappointment.

In terms of specific game recs, it really depends what type of games you like. If you enjoy 3D Mario platformers, Super Mario Odyssey and Super Mario Maker 2 are ones to look at, and if you like classic 2D mario check out New Super Mario Bros Deluxe. Mario Kart 8 Deluxe is as fun as previous MKs, though for me the local multiplayer version has always had more appeal than the single player.

More recently, I loved Ape Out and am really liking Untitled Goose Game. Rocket League runs surprisingly well on the Switch, though I've only played the local multiplayer version.

There are demos on the eshop as well so you can try before you buy.

There has been speculation about a Switch Pro for a while, but the New Nintendo Switch is only just out (a minor hardware iteration on the original design) along with the portable-only Switch Lite, so I wouldn't bet on Nintendo wanting to release another variant next year just because Sony or MS have something new out. The Switch is, somewhat like the Wii before it, a different proposition to other consoles in the current generation and is best viewed that way, as opposed to being a Nintendo version of the PS4.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,015 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

Ring Fit Adventure supports the Switch's new alarm function, here's how it works when the system is in Sleep Mode.

Better late than never.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭Mundo7976

Selected games in argos
    2 for €36 and 2 for €18
    Migh pick a couple up

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,382 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Mundo7976 wrote: »
    Selected games in argos
    2 for €36 and 2 for €18
    Migh pick a couple up

Any link? Don't see it one the website.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,323 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Any link? Don't see it one the website.

Here's a post from HUKD with the UK list. I'd imagine it's the same here.

https://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/2-games-for-30-at-argos-mix-and-match-switch-ps4-and-xbox-one-games-3310484

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Wolverine359

Did anyone get this offer to work? I’d like to get maybe the Crash and Spyro trilogies together, or maybe Mario Rabbids, but nothing comes up about it for me on the website about any special promotion.

(Should be in the bargain alerts thread if it’s real :) )

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,382 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Did anyone get this offer to work? I’d like to get maybe the Crash and Spyro trilogies together, or maybe Mario Rabbids, but nothing comes up about it for me on the website about any special promotion.

(Should be in the bargain alerts thread if it’s real :) )

These are the only games in the promotion for switch:

Mario + Rabbids Kingdom Battle
    Rayman Legends
    Monopoly
    Hello Neighbour
    Hello Neighbour Hide and Seek
    Portal Knights

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Wolverine359

Mickeroo wrote: »
    These are the only games in the promotion for switch:

Mario + Rabbids Kingdom Battle
    Rayman Legends
    Monopoly
    Hello Neighbour
    Hello Neighbour Hide and Seek
    Portal Knights

Cool, Mario rabbids and rayman it is then. 2 for €36 I presume?

Cool, Mario rabbids and rayman it is then. 2 for €36 I presume?

Yeah seems to be the case. Rabbids has been cheaper than that on the eshop in sales though I'm pretty sure.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭Mundo7976

Hello neighbor hide & seek was mislabelled in the promo but i had reserved it along with mario + rabbid yesterday and they honoured the €36 deal when i collected this morning Happy out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 542 ✭✭✭Nemanrio

Fysh wrote: »
    The Switch is a welcome change from Nintendo's post-SNES performance re: 3rd party games (forced somewhat by the Wii U's commercial failure, I'd guess) so the catalogue is quite broad. Don't expect simultaneous identical releases across Switch and other current gen consoles though, it's not a given. But a significant number of critically-and-commercially-succesful indie and AAA games are getting Switch ports - including stuff like Doom Eternal as well as it-was-out-on-PC-years-ago stuff like The Witcher 3.

Be aware that the Switch's lower specs means that ports will always look less appealing on Switch than other platforms. So if there are particular ports you're interested in, check reviews first.

Download vs physical is up to you - the main difference is, physical carts can be resold, downloads obv not. But the eShop does have sales, occasionally even significant enough to take notice (again, a bit of a change with Nintendo though I note that first party games rarely get massive price cuts).

Online play's not my thing so no idea what that's like, but there's plenty on here that can advise. You get access to NES & SNES classic games if you sub to the online service, as well as Tetris 99 and cloud saves. I would say that in general Nintendo's approach to online anything is still behind the curve, so if that's important to you the Switch may be a disappointment.

In terms of specific game recs, it really depends what type of games you like. If you enjoy 3D Mario platformers, Super Mario Odyssey and Super Mario Maker 2 are ones to look at, and if you like classic 2D mario check out New Super Mario Bros Deluxe. Mario Kart 8 Deluxe is as fun as previous MKs, though for me the local multiplayer version has always had more appeal than the single player.

More recently, I loved Ape Out and am really liking Untitled Goose Game. Rocket League runs surprisingly well on the Switch, though I've only played the local multiplayer version.

There are demos on the eshop as well so you can try before you buy.

There has been speculation about a Switch Pro for a while, but the New Nintendo Switch is only just out (a minor hardware iteration on the original design) along with the portable-only Switch Lite, so I wouldn't bet on Nintendo wanting to release another variant next year just because Sony or MS have something new out. The Switch is, somewhat like the Wii before it, a different proposition to other consoles in the current generation and is best viewed that way, as opposed to being a Nintendo version of the PS4.

Thanks for the informative reply Fysh, I am going to invest in one especially as I haven't bought a console and years now and some of the titles do look impressive.

If anyone could advise on the online play of games such as Super Smash Bros or Mario Kart I would appreciate it.

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭Longford Leader

Some help please!
    My son just downloaded rocket league on his switch today but is unable to connect to the rocket league servers.
    Are the servers down or does he need to do something to go online.
    He is connected to the internet and has a nintendo online sub.
    All his other games are working fine online.
    Any help would be great. Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭Ace Attorney

Some help please!
    My son just downloaded rocket league on his switch today but is unable to connect to the rocket league servers.

there is a possibility that he needs to update the game after downloading. to do this > go to where you select the game on the home screen and press start > download latest software update and select that. it should download the latest patch and away ya go after that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

Some help please!

I remember having this issue at launch. This fixed it for me.

https://en-americas-support.nintendo.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/22272/~/how-to-set-up-a-routers-port-fowarding-for-a-nintendo-switch-console

SHIGERU MIYAMOTO RECOGNISED AS PERSON OF CULTURAL MERIT

https://japanesenintendo.com/2019/10/29/shigeru-miyamoto-recognised-as-person-of-cultural-merit/

Fully deserved, I'm only surprised he didn’t receive the honour sooner.

Razer Junglecat controller takes a page out of the Nintendo Switch playbook
    Razer-Junglecat-1-1280x720.jpg

https://www.slashgear.com/razer-junglecat-controller-takes-a-page-out-of-the-nintendo-switch-playbook-29597748/

Like the Joy-Cons, these are very expensive, $100.

Nintendo's FY3/2020 Q2 earnings release (Switch has sold 41 million units, updated software million sellers list, 1st/3rd party release schedules, & more)

https://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/pdf/2019/191031e.pdf

https://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/pdf/2019/191031_3e.pdf

Switch sales top 10 million in Japan
    A new milestone achieved.

https://gematsu.com/2019/11/switch-sales-top-10-million-in-japan

Last month Nintendo revealed that Switch sales had exceeded 10 million units in Europe and 15 million in North America.

• Advertisement

SOMETHING SEEMS TO BE GOING ON WITH PLAYTONIC, AND RUMORS OF A MICROSOFT ACQUISITION OR A NEW BANJO-KAZOOIE ARE SWIRLING
    Don't tease me like this...

https://gonintendo.com/stories/348475-something-seems-to-be-going-on-with-playtonic-and-rumors-of-a-mi

I hope Microsoft don't buy out Playtonic.

Advertisement