Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nintendo: General Discussion

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,454 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

conormario wrote: »
    Think a load of people round me in work have suddenly got switches or "kids getting one for Xmas" ( usual story :) )

Really, some of them have no clue and are getting their kids fifa and just dance etc ... probably cause they are "cheaper"

It's like going to Hawaii on holiday and staying in the hotel :)

What does it matter if they have no clue? They are the majority of console buyers rather than a small number of folks like us that hang out on games forums. Everyone starts somewhere with their gaming experience anyway so the more the merrier. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 241 ✭✭conormario

Andrew76 wrote: »
    What does it matter if they have no clue? They are the majority of console buyers rather than a small number of folks like us that hang out on games forums. Everyone starts somewhere with their gaming experience anyway so the more the merrier. :)

I'm saying this in frustration not out of some kind of snobbery. Loads of families got e.g. wiis and never even heard of mario galaxy. It's just a shame. I'm seeing it again now with switch and I weep. :)

I'm saying this in frustration not out of some kind of snobbery. Loads of families got e.g. wiis and never even heard of mario galaxy. It's just a shame. I'm seeing it again now with switch and I weep. :)

I can imagine Nintendo feel awful about it too.

giphy.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,015 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

Cautionary tale, who'd have guessed that leaving your Switch on a radiator wouldn't end well?

Rip.. Left my brand new sword and shield themed switch lite on the radiator while it charged.. :(
    slack-imgs.com_-19-e1574853275304.jpg

https://www.reddit.com/r/NintendoSwitch/comments/e230mz/rip_left_my_brand_new_sword_and_shield_themed/

While it sucks for the person concerned, I found some of the comments hilarious. My Father Ted interpretation.

Dougal: Switch's melted there, Ted.
    Ted: Hmm, yeah.
    Dougal: Will I put it on the radiator again?
    Teddy: No, I liked it best the first time.
    Dougal: Maybe we could turn it on this time, see what happens?
    Ted: Don't think you should do that, it'd eh... just blow up and you'd be picking lumps of debris out of your face for the next year and a half. You'd get big red blotches and have puffy fish lips bigger than the rest of your face.
    Dougal: Like Father Bigley.
    Ted: Exactly like Father Bigley.
    Dougal: Maybe that's what happened to him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,323 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

sligeach wrote: »
    Cautionary tale, who'd have guessed that leaving your Switch on a radiator wouldn't end well?

Rip.. Left my brand new sword and shield themed switch lite on the radiator while it charged.. :(
    slack-imgs.com_-19-e1574853275304.jpg

https://www.reddit.com/r/NintendoSwitch/comments/e230mz/rip_left_my_brand_new_sword_and_shield_themed/

While it sucks for the person concerned, I found some of the comments hilarious. My Father Ted interpretation.

Dougal: Switch's melted there, Ted.
    Ted: Hmm, yeah.
    Dougal: Will I put it on the radiator again?
    Teddy: No, I liked it best the first time.
    Dougal: Maybe we could turn it on this time, see what happens?
    Ted: Don't think you should do that, it'd eh... just blow up and you'd be picking lumps of debris out of your face for the next year and a half. You'd get big red blotches and have puffy fish lips bigger than the rest of your face.
    Dougal: Like Father Bigley.
    Ted: Exactly like Father Bigley.
    Dougal: Maybe that's what happened to him.

Obviously a clever person. Who'd have thought that plastic could melt on a hot surface :eek:

• Advertisement

Hey - what nintendo item(s) are you getting yourself for Christmas ! And not opening 'till then :-)
    I'm playing yooka laylee and the impossible lair on Christmas day. Looks like just the job for then.

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭laneykin

Hey - what nintendo item(s) are you getting yourself for Christmas ! And not opening 'till then :-)
    I'm playing yooka laylee and the impossible lair on Christmas day. Looks like just the job for then.

I’m getting Ring Fit Adventure from my parents for the big day and can’t wait to have a bit of craic with it Christmas morning with my siblings.
    Was also thinking of getting Professor Layton as a present for myself. Although I got Pokemon sword and haven’t gotten to play much yet so could still be on that.
    Last year I got BOTW and I’m still putting hours into that game.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭blockfighter

I'm getting Luigis Mansion 3. Won't get to open until Christmas Day evening.
    Might treat myself to a a cheap Indy game on the day too if there's a deal to be got.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭McLoughlin

For myself Luigi or Links Awaking maybe both. My mother always gets me a Mario game for Christmas its been a family tradition thing for nearly two decades now.

McLoughlin wrote: »
    For myself Luigi or Links Awaking maybe both. My mother always gets me a Mario game for Christmas its been a family tradition thing for nearly two decades now.

Both are great games, but I'd say Luigi's Mansion has more legs on it. If you're only getting one, I'd go for that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,458 ✭✭✭RedXIV

Hey guys, quick one, we've a switch in the house for the kids and I'm the main account holder on it as the one who purchases the digital games.

I was recently thinking about getting myself a switch lite as the family one is usually in use when ever I think of using it and I can keep it from grubby fingers :D

Can I be the main account holder on two switches? I think I recall Nintendo being funny about this in the past?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 889 ✭✭✭morritty

RedXIV wrote: »
    Hey guys, quick one, we've a switch in the house for the kids and I'm the main account holder on it as the one who purchases the digital games.

I was recently thinking about getting myself a switch lite as the family one is usually in use when ever I think of using it and I can keep it from grubby fingers :D

Can I be the main account holder on two switches? I think I recall Nintendo being funny about this in the past?
    Yes, But you'll have a primary and secondary console. Primary will play digital games no issue, secondary will need a wifi connection to confirm your account is licensed to play the game.

So if you have a switch that will never leave the house set that to secondary

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,458 ✭✭✭RedXIV

morritty wrote: »
    Yes, But you'll have a primary and secondary console. Primary will play digital games no issue, secondary will need a wifi connection to confirm your account is licensed to play the game.

So if you have a switch that will never leave the house set that to secondary

Perfect, cheers!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,625 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I'm hoping my Nintendo Block Kuzushi console will be here but I think it will be impossible to not try it out, when it lands...

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    I'm hoping my Nintendo Block Kuzushi console will be here but I think it will be impossible to not try it out, when it lands...

You are a Nintendoholic ! :)

Better and cheaper than alcohol and you can always sell 'em.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,625 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

You are a Nintendoholic ! :)

Better and cheaper than alcohol and you can always sell 'em.

Yeah, I have a bit of a rep for doing just that!

But, no more!

My Virtual Boy and Gameboy Light are going nowhere!

Late late toy show is very entertaining ... but Ryan trying to be 80s video game cool with his pacman jumper is fooling no one :)

Also, my daughter spotted Mario and Goomba stuffed toys ...

Pikachu ...

Think that's it.

But still a great show. Lot of heart.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,258 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Haven't watched myself but apparently there was an early build of Spider-man 4 based on Sam Raimi's planned 4th movie found on a debug Wii

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 459 ✭✭Meursault

Hi All,

I bought a small smart tv for the kids so that they can play their Nintendo switch on the bigger screen.

forgive my ignorance of all things related to computer games, but am i correct to say that any smart tv with a hdmi entry should work when connecting to the Nintendo switch?

Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 465 ✭✭bada_bing

Meursault wrote: »
    Hi All,

I bought a small smart tv for the kids so that they can play their Nintendo switch on the bigger screen.

forgive my ignorance of all things related to computer games, but am i correct to say that any smart tv with a hdmi entry should work when connecting to the Nintendo switch?

Thanks

yes for any switch with a docking station but NOT for the handheld switch lite which cannot be connected to a tv.

• Advertisement

bada_bing wrote: »
    yes for any switch with a docking station but NOT for the handheld switch lite which cannot be connected to a tv.

Ok great, yeah I’m pretty certain he has the docking station alright. Cheers

I assume it’s a case of just connecting the cable to the tv?

Would I need to put the tv on any different setting?

Bearing in mind the tv is currently just sitting unopened in its box at the moment, and won’t be connected to sky or any form of satellite tv. That is, I bought the tv specifically so they could play their Nintendo switch on it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,211 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

There is a diagram of the correct way to connect it inside the Nintendo packaging for the switch, but yep, connect the dock to the TV, and make sure the TV is on the correct HDMI channel (for example HDMI 1) and place the switch in the dock. You should see it on the screen almost immediately.

Suckit wrote: »
    There is a diagram of the correct way to connect it inside the Nintendo packaging for the switch, but yep, connect the dock to the TV, and make sure the TV is on the correct HDMI channel (for example HDMI 1) and place the switch in the dock. You should see it on the screen almost immediately.

Great stuff, thanks again

• Registered Users Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭blockfighter

I see IGN gave Fire Emblem its Switch Game of the Year award. Haven't played it but it reviews well. Been a good year for Switch. Think my personal favourite would be Astral Chain.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭skerry

Quick question folks, if I buy Super Mario Maker 2 download code from Shopto in the UK can I redeem on my Irish account or would I need a UK account. Never bought digital games outside of the Eshop before. Looking to get the deal on MM2 and 12 month online sub

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,911 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

I was sick of not having bluetooth headphones on my switch (really bad missing feature) and had been toying with the idea of a little USB transmitter.

Took a punt on this one from Ali. It's a tidy little one that fits pretty flat against the bottom of the console. You can't charge with it in but it wont get stuck in pockets or cases.

It's paired up with a set of redmi earbuds and works great. Also they are amazing buds.

€ 16,84
    https://s.click.aliexpress.com/e/qhnpQEGC

Took about 17 days to get here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,877 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

Doing some tidying around the house. I've a gamecube and Wii U sitting loose.
    Does anyone know where I can get a carry case or storage case for each of them so I can keep them in a decent state? Cheers

The_B_Man wrote: »
    Doing some tidying around the house. I've a gamecube and Wii U sitting loose.
    Does anyone know where I can get a carry case or storage case for each of them so I can keep them in a decent state? Cheers

:eek:
    I saw a hard case for the wii u only two or three days ago and a pokemon 2ds...
    Gonna quick search my history........

EDITED
    Nope, not on this pc. I think it was sonic something or other. It was a hard case shell for the wii u with wii u embossed on the top.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,877 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

Was it an all in one case that I could store the gamepad and console with power cable etc, along with a cupla Wiimotes?
    I found a good one in amazon but it was unavailable.

• Advertisement

The_B_Man wrote: »
    Was it an all in one case that I could store the gamepad and console with power cable etc, along with a cupla Wiimotes?
    I found a good one in amazon but it was unavailable.
    No, I don't think so. I think it was just for the gamepad.

Maybe aliexpress might have something?

Advertisement