Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nintendo: General Discussion

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,073 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

The issue seems to be down to the power supplies used, as far as I understand it - seems that while the Switch uses a USB-C port in terms of physical connector, they skimped on the circuitry to protect against power surges, so a power supply that tries to supply a higher amperage will potentially easily brick the console.

Personally I consider it on a par with the Joycon drift in terms of being a let down from a company with a strong hardware reputation - particularly when they're using a standard interface (it would be marginally more defensible if the Switch used a proprietary port, but still cack-handed). Not a lot to be done for it now, though, except be careful with 3rd party accessories...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,015 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

Mirror’s Edge art director joins Retro Studios
    JHONY LJUNGSTEDT ALSO LED ART DIRECTION FOR MANY BATTLEFIELD TITLES

https://www.videogameschronicle.com/news/mirrors-edge-art-director-joins-retro-studios/

https://www.linkedin.com/posts/jhony-ljungstedt_today-was-my-last-day-at-dice-and-its-with-activity-6629131993558900736-l513/

If he was hired for the same role at Retro Studios, then Metroid Prime 4 is probably even further away from release than I imagined. I doubt it's for another game.

• Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭plibige

sligeach wrote: »
    Mirror’s Edge art director joins Retro Studios
    JHONY LJUNGSTEDT ALSO LED ART DIRECTION FOR MANY BATTLEFIELD TITLES

https://www.videogameschronicle.com/news/mirrors-edge-art-director-joins-retro-studios/

https://www.linkedin.com/posts/jhony-ljungstedt_today-was-my-last-day-at-dice-and-its-with-activity-6629131993558900736-l513/

If he was hired for the same role at Retro Studios, then Metroid Prime 4 is probably even further away from release than I imagined. I doubt it's for another game.

As much as I'd hate it to be pushed down the line further, I do like that they are getting the right people on board to get the game right.

At the rate it's going it might be one of the Switch's swansong titles, but what a title it will be

• Closed Accounts Posts: 482 ✭✭nintendoo

The switch will be around a long time. Nintendo have a portable/home console platform that the competition just can't compete with until they have streaming / some kind of hybrid nailed.

Backward compatibility is NB so that all the competitors have a huge range of games for future Netflix only like subscription models

Don't be surprised to e.g. see Mario Galaxy being available for subscribers only ... to hook people into the subscription model.

Edit
    I love predicting the future :):)

Anyone recommend a grip for a 2ds XL ? To reduce cramp and make it more comfortable to hold ?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,625 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

nintendoo wrote: »
    The switch will be around a long time. Nintendo have a portable/home console platform that the competition just can't compete with until they have streaming / some kind of hybrid nailed.

I don't know.
    The Switch can't be around too long, or all it'll host will be PS3/360 ports, with the occasional heroic conversion of the likes of Doom.
    If they want the device to be relevant, it will have to evolve to be at least as powerful as the PS4/XBOne with a next proper iteration, and within the next two or three years, once the PS5/XBX take hold.
    Backward compatibility is NB so that all the competitors have a huge range of games for future Netflix only like subscription models

Don't be surprised to e.g. see Mario Galaxy being available for subscribers only ... to hook people into the subscription model.

Edit
    I love predicting the future :):)

Yeah, there's every chance that the next Nintendo console will capsule up past games as a streaming/subscription service, as the Snes/Nes content is right now.

But then, the likes of GC/Wii/WiiU content seems to be working well as ports to the Switch.
    They might like to keep it making loads of cash.
    I mean, why just deal out games on a monthly sub when I would happily buy the whole LoZ series again, on a cart or on the eShop, or more like from the eShop and again as a physical release...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,258 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,211 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

CastorTroy wrote: »

I thought that said $205.00 and I was wondering how much it would go for. :o:eek::eek::eek:

How do I find out how much Gamestop will trade in a game for?
    I can see if I go to cex website how much in cash/voucher, but I can't find that on the Gamestop site, I thought I read that it is possible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭Atlas_IRL

Trade price in in orange on most games released. https://www.gamestop.ie/SearchResult/QuickSearch?variantType=1

Atlas_IRL wrote: »
    Trade price in in orange on most games released. https://www.gamestop.ie/SearchResult/QuickSearch?variantType=1
    Thanks, don't know how I coudn't see that, it was late, I was clicking the Switch trade in offers, which must be something different.

And...

Holy crap! The markup! WhatsApp_see-no-evil-monkey_3648_mysmiley.net.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,458 ✭✭✭RedXIV

Guys, I've a question.

My sister and daughter have been talking about playing the new animal crossing game. Looked it up, loads of coverage and excitement.

I've never played any and while it's nice to see my daughter get excited about a game that doesn't require you shoot or maim things (not that I'd be massively bothered by that either, but a change is nice), I am really struggling to understand the objective in the animal crossing games? I'm seeing "life simulator" and "neighbourhood builder" or even "pure escapism" but nothing that lets me understand what you'd do to feel like you're making progress in the game?

Anyone able to give me some ideas of what the concepts are that I'm missing with a bit more concrete detail?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,960 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

RedXIV wrote: »
    Guys, I've a question.

My sister and daughter have been talking about playing the new animal crossing game. Looked it up, loads of coverage and excitement.

I've never played any and while it's nice to see my daughter get excited about a game that doesn't require you shoot or maim things (not that I'd be massively bothered by that either, but a change is nice), I am really struggling to understand the objective in the animal crossing games? I'm seeing "life simulator" and "neighbourhood builder" or even "pure escapism" but nothing that lets me understand what you'd do to feel like you're making progress in the game?

Anyone able to give me some ideas of what the concepts are that I'm missing with a bit more concrete detail?
    Upgrading your house and paying off your mortgage or completing museums/galleries would be the most immediate thing you'd have in Animal Crossing that feels like a goal. I'm sure there's other stuff now as I've not played one since Wii but, yeah, it's a cute busy-work sim that distracts us from the fact that life is pain and the world is burning.

I used to play a game called Age of Empires years ago on the PC. I found it very addictive (and later a similar game, but I have no idea what that is called, no matter how hard I try), and I am looking for a game similar to that on the switch.
    The two that appear to be most like it are NorthGard (just missed a sale :( ) and Romance of the Three Kingdoms XIII (I can't find anywhere).
    I was wondering if anyone had played either and could say which was most similar or better, and where I could buy the three kingdoms game if it's that one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 198 ✭✭uchimata83

Suckit wrote: »
    I used to play a game called Age of Empires years ago on the PC. I found it very addictive (and later a similar game, but I have no idea what that is called, no matter how hard I try), and I am looking for a game similar to that on the switch.
    The two that appear to be most like it are NorthGard (just missed a sale :( ) and Romance of the Three Kingdoms XIII (I can't find anywhere).
    I was wondering if anyone had played either and could say which was most similar or better, and where I could buy the three kingdoms game if it's that one.

I personally wouldn't play RTS games on a console, I think some games are just sure to PC. I tried FM18 on the switch and it was a pain

• Registered Users Posts: 11,506 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Suckit wrote: »

I have not played Northgard, but Romance of the Three Kingdoms plays nothing like AoE, totally different types of games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,182 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Animal Crossing is about beating Nook the final payment to that fcuker is more satisfying than paying a loan shark and keeping all your thumbs hearing that jingle in the post office when you're paid up there's nothing like it.

I'm hoping the switch version is as good as the 3ds it looks better in many ways from what I've seen but with a lot of changes too which hopefully won't confuse or ruin the fun.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,877 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

Heard this song today and got a distinctly Nintendo vibe. Anyone else?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

The_B_Man wrote: »
    Heard this song today and got a distinctly Nintendo vibe. Anyone else?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,258 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

I enjoy the Girlfriend Reviews videos.
    The latest is for the Gamecube

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,322 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Came across this earlier. Wish I hadn't seen it now :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,182 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

:( what did I just see

:( what did I just see

:pac:

Told you!!

Eek.

:)

Thinking we need some new Nintendo news ... We are all going crazy ! :)

Maybe it's Nintendo's plot to get us to buy the new animal crossing ...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,671 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

Would love some daycent Nintendo news. There's literally nothing on the horizon I'm excited about.

In other words, can I have a new Mario Kart or Zelda, please?

Or Pikmin. Is Pikmin 3 coming out on Switch? I'd pay for that again.

Must drag out my Wii U and play my copy of Pikmin 3 ...

nintendoo wrote: »
    Must drag out my Wii U and play my copy of Pikmin 3 ...

Pikmin was always a game I thought looked awesome but never got to play it.

Will be an instant buy for me if they rerelease the older ones or a new one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,671 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

I love Pikmin.

It makes my old weary stone heart smile.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 803 ✭✭✭BelovedAunt

Pikmin is magical. I still think the first one is the perfect game.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Jolo2002

Does anyone know if AddressPal works with the Nintendo store

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭McLoughlin

Jolo2002 wrote: »
    Does anyone know if AddressPal works with the Nintendo store

Nope I've tired a few times over the years with no luck doesn't accept the address

Advertisement