Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nintendo: General Discussion

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,015 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,073 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

Oh hey, finally Nintendo's comprehensive incompetenve at providing network services might actually draw legal action and force them to catch up with where there competition were a decade ago...

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭earthwormjack

Fysh wrote: »
    Oh hey, finally Nintendo's comprehensive incompetenve at providing network services might actually draw legal action and force them to catch up with where there competition were a decade ago...

They've a long way to go yet to match Sony's leak of about 77 million accounts and complete shut down of their network some years back.

Still though, any sort of data breach is crappy and how Nintendo's online service is still so poor is quite amazing to be honest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 482 ✭✭nintendoo

I'm thinking Nintendo will have to partner with Microsoft to get their cloud know how. Or at least get the deku deals guy to do their eshop. :)

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,073 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

They've a long way to go yet to match Sony's leak of about 77 million accounts and complete shut down of their network some years back.

Still though, any sort of data breach is crappy and how Nintendo's online service is still so poor is quite amazing to be honest.

It's absolutely baffling to me that a company who came up with the Satellaview concept in the early 90s has managed to become so bad at internet services that their idea of in-game chat on their online service is "install an app on a separate device"...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,960 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

Fysh wrote: »
    It's absolutely baffling to me that a company who came up with the Satellaview concept in the early 90s has managed to become so bad at internet services that their idea of in-game chat on their online service is "install an app on a separate device"...

Also, despite having a dedicated Nintendo apps, you've to install and fiddle with Google Authenticate to set up 2-step logon for a Nintendo account.

Just the most gloriously, frustratingly baffling ways of handling the most taken-for-granted things.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,625 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

In fairness, the online world has moved along quite a bit since then, as has the market.
    Plus, Nintendo avoided much online shenanigans for ages after that, with the N64 and the GC, even though the latter had a modem it was mostly for Phantasy Star Online.
    Only with the Wii and later the WiiU did it give it go and even then it was mostly shopping.
    The Xbox 360 showed everyone how it was done, establishing the modern standard, even Sony took until the PS4 to catch up.

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    In fairness, the online world has moved along quite a bit since then, as has the market.
    Plus, Nintendo avoided much online shenanigans for ages after that, with the N64 and the GC, even though the latter had a modem it was mostly for Phantasy Star Online.
    Only with the Wii and later the WiiU did it give it go and even then it was mostly shopping.
    The Xbox 360 showed everyone how it was done, establishing the modern standard, even Sony took until the PS4 to catch up.

IIRC Ninty's first device with built-in wifi multiplayer was the DS, 16 years ago. It's mind-boggling how bad they are compared to the competition now - the PS4 launched 6 years ago and the Wii U 8 years ago.

Don't get me wrong - there are things Nintendo do that Microsoft and Sony don't do that I think are vital. In particular Nintendo still has IMO a much better handle on all-ages gaming than their rivals, and I think this is really important so that we don't get a narrow range of offerings. But online services have become a core part of gaming infrastructure, and it's baffling that Nintendo bothers to do anything at all in this area while putting out such pish offerings. I mean, I'd rather they said "nah, stuff online gaming, local co-op/competitive gaming is what we're doing with the switch" than the current half-arsed effort.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭seandotcomm

I just came across my original Nintendo DS from 2005 which hasn't been used in about 14 or 15 years... pressed the power button.. half jokingly and it powered on with battery life still left in it. Some unit, haha

Can Nintendo please release a smartphone?!?!

I just came across my original Nintendo DS from 2005 which hasn't been used in about 14 or 15 years... pressed the power button.. half jokingly and it powered on with battery life still left in it. Some unit, haha

Can Nintendo please release a smartphone?!?!

The DS passed me by when it first came out, but last year I picked one up for cheap in a charity shop. It came with an R4 card that led me to looking up the range of homebrew software for it, and I've got to say - for a device that predated the iPhone by 2 years, the stuff it was capable of was stunning. You could basically turn it into a capable PDA at a time when business-oriented PDAs would cost at least twice as much.

• Advertisement

20 Years Ago...We Met with a Terrible Fate! - Zelda: Majora’s Mask 20th Anniversary Discussion

https://youtube.com/watch?v=EFZ3LsKBYow

One of the best games ever. I've fingers crossed that BOTW2 is to BOTW, just as Majora's Mask was to OOT. The reveal trailer suggests that it will be.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,979 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

sligeach wrote: »
    20 Years Ago...We Met with a Terrible Fate! - Zelda: Majora’s Mask 20th Anniversary Discussion

One of the best games ever. I've fingers crossed that BOTW2 is to BOTW, just as Majora's Mask was to OOT. The reveal trailer suggests that it will be.

I was an Ocarina addict and bought Majoras Mask the day it came out. For some reason, it rubbed me up the wrong way immediately, meant to get back to it but moved onto another console. Finally got around to playing it 2 years ago! Loved it. What a game.

Now I'm done with BOTW I may give it another run through.

CONCEPT ARTWORK SURFACES FOR RUMOURED SHEIK AND BOO TITLES BY RETRO STUDIOS
    sammy-hall-boothumbs02.jpg?1542417702
    Shinesparkers have received links to concept artwork which claim to be from two cancelled titles based on the characters Boo and Sheik from the Super Mario and The Legend of Zelda universes respectively. The links we received point to an online portfolio by Sammy Hall, a former Retro Studios pre-production artist who worked on Metroid Prime 3: Corruption and Donkey Kong Country Returns. The artwork claims to be pre-production art from a “Cancelled Zelda project” from 2005 to 2008 and a “Cancelled Boo project” from 2006 to 2007.

https://shinesparkers.net/concept-artwork-surfaces-for-rumoured-sheik-and-boo-titles-by-retro-studios/

You can find more info and a tonne of artwork at the above link.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,258 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Art looks cool.
    Though a Boo game would've been hard to play since you would only be able to move when not looking at the screen

Samsung and AMD may power Nintendo's Switch successor - RDNA's going mobile
    Samsung's graphics partnership with AMD could bring RDNA to a Switch successor

https://www.overclock3d.net/news/misc_hardware/samsung_and_amd_may_power_nintendo_s_switch_successor_-_rdna_s_going_mobile/1

IDK, there's no evidence to suggest this will happen and Nvidia's CEO said before that he expects the relationship between the two companies “will likely last two decades.” They're only words though, and unless it's signed in ink, anything is possible. It doesn't sound like the Samsung and AMD tech is going to be ready any time soon and I'm sure Nvidia have to be working with Nintendo on a possible Switch successor. It's probably just clickbait, but may be something to watch in the future.

Switch will soon overtake NES !

Console Hardware Sales (Million) Software Sales (Million)
    Wii 101.63 921.69
    NES 61.91 500.01
    Nintendo Switch 55.77 356.24
    SNES 49.10 379.06
    Nintendo 64 32.93 224.97
    GameCube 21.74 208.57
    Wii U 13.56 103.10

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,625 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Does that NES figuere include the pack-in game I wonder?
    Because the Switch didn't typically include one of those.
    That said, the eShop has loads of cheap sh1t that is probably skewing the numbers, and while the NES certainly had it's rubbish games, you normally had to pay full price to buy them on a physical cart.

Does that NES figuere include the pack-in game I wonder?
    Because the Switch didn't typically include one of those.
    That said, the eShop has loads of cheap sh1t that is probably skewing the numbers, and while the NES certainly had it's rubbish games, you normally had to pay full price to buy them on a physical cart.

Yep, that's a very good point regarding software sales. Actually software sales comparisons don't make sense at all. From a hardware point of view the Switch is doing very well indeed.

I hope now that they've got the financials out for last year .. they can get some game news out!

nintendoo wrote: »
    Switch will soon overtake NES !

Console Hardware Sales (Million) Software Sales (Million)
    Wii 101.63 921.69
    NES 61.91 500.01
    Nintendo Switch 55.77 356.24
    SNES 49.10 379.06
    Nintendo 64 32.93 224.97
    GameCube 21.74 208.57
    Wii U 13.56 103.10

I've seen an awful lot of nonsense headlines over the past 24 hours, like the Switch has now outsold the Gamecube and N64 combined. It's comparing apples with oranges. Neither of those systems were portable. Where are the handheld numbers in these charts? It's ignoring the biggest selling point of the Switch. Also, during the lifetime of most(you could say the NES and Gameboy overlapped, just about though) of those Nintendo home consoles, there was a respective Nintendo handheld. If you want to buy new Nintendo games today, you've only got one option, instead of the previous two.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Grassey

Eh the game cube was portable.

It had a carry handle on the back. And a screen add on yoke!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,747 ✭✭✭Inviere

Grassey wrote: »
    Eh the game cube was portable.

It had a carry handle on the back. And a screen add on yoke!

It definitely wasn't portable by virtue of having a carry handle. Screen addons were popular back then, there were screens for the PS1, PS2, GameCube, the Xbox, and so forth.

Sligeach's point is valid, there's no real point comparing the Switch to the Snes or Gamecube, or Wii etc....the Switch is a handheld that has the ability to display on a tv, not a static console. I think it's fantastic that Nintendo struck gold with the design, it's a real gem of a machine...but for fairness the handheld consoles of yore should have their figures included in any comparisons, that's its target market.

It's a remarkable feat and a tribute to how right Nintendo got the Switch.
    Yes, the hardware could have been stronger, and three lack of support of EA and Activision is disappointing, but those factors don't seem to have harmed it's popularity at all.
    The inevitable follow-up is still a couple of years away but, if they can stick to this successful hybrid formula it's hard to see how they can feck it up.

it's hard to see how they can feck it up.

Says the Wii to the Wii U :pac:

Joking aside, yeah I don't think they should change much up. The hardware is by far the limiting factor here (games often dip below 720p just to maintain 30fps! It's essentially competing with the 360/PS3 era). So a bump of horsepower would do the Switch successor a world of good....though that said, the games by then will also be more demanding, so I still wouldn't expect parity with the PS5/XSX. I guess Ninty have carved out their own little niche though and have found success in not competing directly, which is also good. I still say they need to be targeting 1080p at 60fps...with some type of ray tracing so they're still relevant. Tech like Nvidia's DLSS would be a hugely beneficial tech in the next Switch.

Other than that, an HDR screen would be sweet, a beefier battery to handle the additional workloads and demands, and a proper dpad!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Grassey

Inviere wrote:
    It definitely wasn't portable by virtue of having a carry handle. Screen addons were popular back then, there were screens for the PS1, PS2, GameCube, the Xbox, and so forth.

Clearly too early for a tongue in cheek comment :D

Grassey wrote: »
    Clearly too early for a tongue in cheek comment :D

:o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

This Wonderful 101 launch is a shambles

First, I get a mail with no code, followed by an apology mail, followed by a code, followed by another apology mail saying the code will allow you to download but not play, and they’re working on it.

Basic QA?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,454 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

Inviere wrote: »
    Says the Wii to the Wii U :pac:

Joking aside, yeah I don't think they should change much up. The hardware is by far the limiting factor here (games often dip below 720p just to maintain 30fps! It's essentially competing with the 360/PS3 era). So a bump of horsepower would do the Switch successor a world of good....though that said, the games by then will also be more demanding, so I still wouldn't expect parity with the PS5/XSX. I guess Ninty have carved out their own little niche though and have found success in not competing directly, which is also good. I still say they need to be targeting 1080p at 60fps...with some type of ray tracing so they're still relevant. Tech like Nvidia's DLSS would be a hugely beneficial tech in the next Switch.

Other than that, an HDR screen would be sweet, a beefier battery to handle the additional workloads and demands, and a proper dpad!

I wouldn’t say no to the ability to connect Bluetooth headphones without any need for 3rd party dongles, or at the very least a pro controller with a headphone jack. Also, sort out the online side of things - needing an app on your phone to chat to someone? Just copy how Xbox does it would do me.

Andrew76 wrote: »
    I wouldn’t say no to the ability to connect Bluetooth headphones without any need for 3rd party dongles, or at the very least a pro controller with a headphone jack. Also, sort out the online side of things - needing an app on your phone to chat to someone? Just copy how Xbox does it would do me.

Aye, Ninty are completely backwards when it comes to the online side of things. The Xbox 360 showed the template for how things are done 15 YEARS ago, & here we are.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,211 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

I wonder would this be worth getting. It gets very good reviews.
    It ships from Spain (and there are coupons to bring the proce down to around $109) - but not sure who would use it most, I guess kids in a hotel room?
    Handy to have the bigger screen too, in general...

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32978246651.html

Advertisement