Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nintendo: General Discussion

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 482 ✭✭nintendoo

Suckit wrote: »
    I wonder would this be worth getting. It gets very good reviews.
    It ships from Spain (and there are coupons to bring the proce down to around $109) - but not sure who would use it most, I guess kids in a hotel room?
    Handy to have the bigger screen too, in general...

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32978246651.html

The image is disingenuous though, since you can't use the switch in handheld mode while it's connected to a monitor.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,073 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

Suckit wrote: »
    I wonder would this be worth getting. It gets very good reviews.
    It ships from Spain (and there are coupons to bring the proce down to around $109) - but not sure who would use it most, I guess kids in a hotel room?
    Handy to have the bigger screen too, in general...

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32978246651.html

If you want to use it with the Switch you're basically carrying around a laptop-sized screen, a power source for the screen, your dock and charger along with your Switch. At which point, if you're anywhere that has an actual TV - just use that instead...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,211 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

Yeah, might be okay for kids to play two player in their room without putting in a TV or a few small scenarios. Can't imagine the major advantage other than it is fairly easy to move around (easier than a TV) and may not put as much strain on young eyes.... I am also on the fence about buying it.. :D even though I don't need it.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,454 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

Does it mention anything about sound output or would you have to plug headphones into the Switch? Not sure I see the point of it tbh.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,073 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

Andrew76 wrote: »
    Does it mention anything about sound output or would you have to plug headphones into the Switch? Not sure I see the point of it tbh.

It claims to have a built-in speaker based on the specs:

Brand Name: ZEUSLAP
    Display Ratio: 16:9
    Display Size: 15.6inch
    Resolution: 1920 x 1080
    Products Status: Stock
    Horizontal Viewing Angle: 178°
    Model Number: P15A
    Panel Type: IPS
    Application: Laptop
    Vertical Viewing Angle: 178°
    Built-in Speaker: Yes
    Brightness: 220 cd/m
    Interface Type: HDMI
    Feature: Speaker
    Feature: USB Port
    Interface: Mini HDMI, Type C*2, Micro USB

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,014 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

The Super Mario Animated Movie Is Still Progressing Well During Lockdowns
    The Minions studio is able to keep working on the movie because they work remotely.

https://www.gamespot.com/articles/the-super-mario-animated-movie-is-still-progressin/1100-6477087/

Nintendo have released a bunch of wallpapers for folks to download if they want. :)

https://www.nintendo.com/wallpapers/

Nintendo have released a bunch of wallpapers for folks to download if they want. :)

https://www.nintendo.com/wallpapers/

I wish they'd release a direct ...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,014 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

UNREAL ENGINE 5 SEEMS LIKE IT WILL SUPPORT SWITCH
    Totally unreal!

https://gonintendo.com/stories/360990-unreal-engine-5-seems-like-it-will-support-switch
    "Unreal Engine 5 will be available in preview in early 2021, and in full release late in 2021, supporting next-generation consoles, current-generation consoles, PC, Mac, iOS, and Android."

When it says that UE5 will support "current-generation consoles" I expect that to mean PS4 and XB1. I don't consider the Switch current gen. I'm not ruling out some kind of support, but from that video shown earlier, admittedly on PS5, the Switch would melt or implode trying to pull that off. That statement above though isn't a confirmation of Switch support. I don't know why they wouldn't just be clear about it.

Unreal Engine 5 Feature Highlights | Next-Gen Real-Time Demo Running on PlayStation 5

https://youtube.com/watch?v=EFyWEMe27Dw

Maybe Switch 2/Switch Pro can handle it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,747 ✭✭✭Inviere

sligeach wrote: »
    When it says that UE5 will support "current-generation consoles" I expect that to mean PS4 and XB1. I don't consider the Switch current gen. I'm not ruling out some kind of support, but from that video shown earlier, admittedly on PS5, the Switch would melt or implode trying to pull that off. That statement above though isn't a confirmation of Switch support. I don't know why they wouldn't just be clear about it.

While the Switch is objectively under-powered compared to the PS4 & XB1....those consoles themselves are farcically under-powered too in a general sense. They have serious hardware bottlenecks (CPU), and frequently have to reduce resolutions to maintain performance. This is why we got the mid-gen refreshes of the Pro & X...the initial designs of these then 'next-gen' machines were strongly conservative, and it still shows today. The next-gen machines will be a true generational leap, and will be reminiscent of the days when a console upgrade actually meant something.

It remains to be seen what'll happen with UE5 & the Switch. I'd imagine there'll be a use-case for it, but like with the PS4 & the XB1....it'll be a very peeled back experience, and won't look anything like the recent PS5 footage (spectacular by the way).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭mighty magpie

best way to play twilight princess? currently have a switch and old gamecube but dont have TP.

wii u hd or wait for it to be added to switch eventually?

best way to play twilight princess? currently have a switch and old gamecube but dont have TP.

wii u hd or wait for it to be added to switch eventually?

The socially acceptable answer would be the Wii U. The actual answer, is CEMU. I've recently finished the game using CEMU and it was faultless.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,960 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

Inviere wrote: »
    The socially acceptable answer would be the Wii U. The actual answer, is CEMU. I've recently finished the game using CEMU and it was faultless.

Aside from the fact it was still, ultimately, Twilight Princess.

Mr.Saturn wrote: »
    Aside from the fact it was still, ultimately, Twilight Princess.

Actually, and truthfully, I went into it expecting a mess....and ultimately I finished the game having really enjoyed it.

"Just finished Twilight Princess HD. Thoroughly enjoyed it, if perhaps a bit padded in places. The music let it down somewhat, it lacked the gusto and punch from the truly great Zelda games, despite all the familiar melodies being there. Great game nonetheless, and very well put together."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

The socially acceptable answer would be the Wii U. The actual answer, is CEMU*. I've recently finished the game using CEMU and it was faultless.

* If you've a PC and graphics card powerful enough to run it at a decent clip.

Star Lord wrote: »

If Skynet ever happens it will originate from Inviere's house. :D

The requirements have come down a lot in recent times. Heck my antiquated 7700k & GTX1070 are fossils at this stage, and have no issues. For lesser hardware, the new Cemu Vulkan back-end has made massive improvements in terms of optimisations.

I'd say more people have suitable hardware to run Cemu, than there are people with a Wii U at this stage :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

When Skynet happened it originated from Inviere's house. :D

Fixed that for you.

As we're still alive, chances are he just emulated Skynet...
    The requirements have come down a lot in recent times. Heck my antiquated 7700k & GTX1070 are fossils at this stage, and have no issues. For lesser hardware, the new Cemu Vulkan back-end has made massive improvements in terms of optimisations.

I'd say more people have suitable hardware to run Cemu, than there are people with a Wii U at this stage :o
    I've a 4690k and a GTX970, and it runs most things reasonably adequately, but my point being many don't have PCs with the better CPUs or GPUs that may be needed for these. While yours are old, and mine even older, they're still the better ones from their time, and mine is just about holding on, while yours are still very capable.

(Planning to upgrade to a Ryzen 7 / 3070... when those release...)

I've a 4690k and a GTX970, and it runs most things reasonably adequately, but my point being many don't have PCs with the better CPUs or GPUs that may be needed for these. While yours are old, and mine even older, they're still the better ones from their time, and mine is just about holding on, while yours are still very capable.

You're heavily cpu bottlnecked there, because there's even outdated videos of BotW running at 720p 30fps+ on an iGPU. Heck most modern laptops these days are running it fine. Quad core cpu's have had their day, mine included (though as you point out mine is hyperhreaded which helps, and yours isn't which explains the bottleneck).

There's a new Ryzen CPU range out (the 3100 & 3300X) which go toe to toe with the cpu I have, and they're only asking just over a hundred quid for them. So if not now, then very soon most pc's sold at retail will have no issues with Cemu. I'd still say a lot more users out there have the hardware needed to run Cemu than those who own an actual Wii U. In saying that, turning up all the bells & whistles will always come at a cost...but to run Twilight Princess HD pound for pound against a Wii U isn't going to take a whole lot of power.
    (Planning to upgrade to a Ryzen 7 / 3070... when those release...)

Same. I'm patiently waiting to see what the 4700X will be like, and then next year hopefulyl pair that with a 3080. That'll be me done for a few years! Loving what AMD are doing to Intel at the moment, if they could only trip Nvidia up too!

I've a 4690k...and mine is just about holding on

I know it's unrealistic & dead money given the age of the hardware, and the fact that there's no further upgrade path...but if someone was stuck on that hardware & wanted a nice boost that'd bring you right up to spec in terms of emulation...you'd only be looking at just over a hundred quid to upgrade, & that hardware wouldn't be much different to mine & would emulate basically anything to a high level.

https://ie.webuy.com/product-detail?id=scpuinti74770k&categoryName=processors-intel&superCatName=computing&title=intel-core-i7-4770k-%283.5ghz%29-lga1150

Obviously if you'd a Wii U sitting there then there wouldn't be much point, but given the choice between an upgrade and a Wii U it's a no brainer really (I say that as someone who has a Wii U sitting under a layer of dust!)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭mighty magpie

Sorry lads, i'm not overly tech minded so never considered the possibility of playing it on PC.

Would my dell XPS 13 be able to run it?
    Intel Core i7-6500 CPU @ 2.50GHz. 8GB RAM.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,180 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

I think we established my bionic eye is Skynet and I'm a cross between T-800 and Mr Freeze or has the damn future changed again.

I think we established my bionic eye is Skynet and I'm a cross between T-800 and Mr Freeze or has the damn future changed again.

Yep, but will it play Twilight Princess hd , with full controller support and no glitches ?

Intel Core i7-6500 CPU @ 2.50GHz. 8GB RAM.

Dual core cpu (4 threads though). The Wii U had three cores so you'll be at a disadvantage. Just install Cemu and follow one of BSOD's guides to set it up and see what happens.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭Adyx

The original GC or Wii version in Dolphin might not be as demanding maybe?

Adyx wrote: »
    The original GC or Wii version in Dolphin might not be as demanding maybe?

Yeah worth a shot, you can upscale in Dolphin too quite easily which makes it look very very close to the HD Remaster. It'll be 4:3 though, unless there's a 16:9 patch for it? The Wii version has an inverted map I believe, which isn't to many people's liking. If you have a computer that's capable, the Cemu version offers the best experience (even by virtue of the fact you can use a proper controller)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭Adyx

Yeah worth a shot, you can upscale in Dolphin too quite easily which makes it look very very close to the HD Remaster. It'll be 4:3 though, unless there's a 16:9 patch for it? The Wii version has an inverted map I believe, which isn't to many people's liking. If you have a computer that's capable, the Cemu version offers the best experience (even by virtue of the fact you can use a proper controller)

I own the Wii version so it's the GC version that's inverted. :pac: But I use the GC version for emulation just because of the controller. There is a widescreen patch I think. Haven't tried the HD Remaster.

Adyx wrote: »
    I own the Wii version so it's the GC version that's inverted. :pac: But I use the GC version for emulation just because of the controller. There is a widescreen patch I think. Haven't tried the HD Remaster.

Ah, correct :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 884 ✭✭✭_Godot_

I'm so tempted to use my gold coins to get Rhythm Paradise Megamix off the eshop for 50% off (which is 14.99). Worth it or not?

• Advertisement

Edge magazine's list of feel better games ... from June 2020 issues ...

Featuring: A Short Hike, Animal Crossing: New Horizons, Celeste, Chibi-Robo!, Chuchel, Dandy Dungeon, De Blob, DJ Hero, Donkey Kong Jungle Beat, Dragon Quest Builders 2, Dreams, EarthBound, Electroplankton, Everything, Forza Horizon 3, Gitaroo Man, Gnog, Gorogoa, Gris, Jackbox Party Pack, Jazzpunk, Jet Set Radio, Katamari Damacy, Kind Words, Knights & Bikes, The Legend Of Zelda: The Wind Waker, Lonely Mountains: Downhill, Minecraft, Mutazione, Osu! Tatakae! Ouendan!, Outer Wilds, OutRun 2, Pikmin 3, Professor Layton & The Lost Future, Rez Infinite, Rhythm Paradise Megamix, Ring Fit Adventure, Sayonara Wild Hearts, Sea Of Thieves, Sky: Children Of The Light, Splatoon 2, Star Trek Bridge Crew, Stardew Valley, Super Mario 3D World, Super Mario Maker 2, Tearaway, Tetris Effect, Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 3, Undertale, Wii Sports Resort, The Witness, Yakuza 0.

Advertisement