Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nintendo: General Discussion

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 482 ✭✭nintendoo

sligeach wrote: »
    That wouldn't rile up the game industry, nor would it be revolutionary. Is there room in the market for another handheld? Sega Game Gear 2? It sounds big, I hope it's not something daft or that was hyped beyond reality.

The previous post was making a joke !

Everyone knows Knuckles the movie is what is going to change the world ! :)

I think Sega really shined in the Arcade. Revolutionary arcade cabinetes, incredible games. They didn't seem to be afraid.

That never really translated to home consoles for me.

Maybe they will have an all axis rotating cabinet for home, ready player one style :)

Actually, companies with lots of cash are investing heavily in AR and VR. It's Facebook's next opportunity after web, messaging, mobile.

The pandemic and remote work will raise loads of opportunities and necessities here.

Ring fit adventure is a cheap viable solution that has legs. :) Also, Nintendo health initiatives patents resurfacing recently.

People going to pay for hardware with software subs.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

JAPANESE TECH JOURNALIST TEASES A "REVOLUTIONARY" ANNOUNCEMENT (POSSIBLY FROM SEGA) THAT WILL "RILE UP THE GAMES INDUSTRY" SET TO APPEAR IN NEXT WEEK'S FAMITSU
    This outta be exciting!

https://gonintendo.com/stories/361909-japanese-tech-journalist-teases-a-revolutionary-announcement-p

What could it be? New hardware? That they're being bought out by someone? That they're going exclusive for a while?

Wonder if someone in the console market bought them out?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,073 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

ERG89 wrote: »
    Wonder if someone in the console market bought them out?

More likely to "rile the industry" would be Sega getting bought by Tencent, Amazon or Google TBH. Ditto the "big news" part in gaming terms.

Having said that, this has the whiff of vaporware and, much like "teaser trailers for release of a teaser trailer", is best ignored...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,625 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

The Nal wrote: »
    The Dreamcast was actually a great console. Just came out at the wrong time and wiped out by Playstation.

Well, yes... but Sega had burned all their goodwill by then, and I bought a launch DC from Japan, and I still own one, so I can appreciate the company and their products, even when they were as popular as a kick in the nethers

Donkey Kong Country 2 HD:

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2020/05/blimey_donkey_kong_country_2_looks_lovely_in_hd

Imagine that Nintendo were going to do this; they haven't released DKC on the switch virtual console ...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,258 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

House of the Dead Overkill 2 and MadWorld 2 for Switch. This time with more swearing and violence

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,073 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

CastorTroy wrote: »
    House of the Dead Overkill 2 and MadWorld 2 for Switch. This time with more swearing and violence

Man, HotD:O with more swearing and violence would be quite the challenge to achieve.

I remember Mad World selling really poorly which was a shame - it was a pretty good game with a solid aesthetic and good, distinctive soundtrack. Could've done without the weird fanservicey bits, but then that's true of several games.

Did HotD:O sell well enough to merit a sequel? I mean, I'm not sure how you'd get the light-gun equivalent setup on the Switch...

Unless...

That's it! HotD/Labo crossover! :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Banjo

Lab-o' the dead? Aw **** yeah!
    Because you know that game would find uses for the Elephant goggles that Nintendo wouldn't dare dream about.

Couldn't they do lightgun stuff if they bundled a small Wiimote-bar type dealio (with 2 IR receivers) and used the Wiimote with the IR emitter in it. Or IR emitters / IR camera if I have that arseways. And a cardboard gun for the Pew-Pew feeling?

• Advertisement

Don't think a sensor bar is needed. But I'm sure they could give us a gun attachment. I didn't get the Wii gun. The game was ported to PS3 later on.

As for Mad World it was fun but very grindy (literally as well with the meat grinder) at times having to build up the points. The commentary with Greg Proops was fun.
    Anarchy Reigns was the same. No commentary though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

House of the Dead Overkill got ported to the other consoles of the time too, without light-gun type controls, so it's still playable, but wouldn't be as fun without the gun! Those Hand Cannon adapters for the wiimote were great, but the wiimote being in front of your hand made them very front heavy, and sore on the hand for prolonged sessions!

In other news, some nice Ninty styled tees on Qwertee today, my favourite being "Island Scream"

514646.jpeg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,012 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

I thought I heard before that House of the Dead: Overkill was in the Guinness Book of Records for most swear words in a video game(seems like an unusual category), but then some recent game took that title(and that it blew the record away). I might look it up later.

Yeah at the time apparently the game with the most swearing (HotD) and most violence (MadWorld) were Wii exclusive when people looked at the console as being for kids/casuals.

I assume they mean scripted swearing since games like GTA would have people shouting in the streets.

Mafia 2 took the swearing title.

Think HotD has a good shot at most f'd up ending as well

Yeah at the time apparently the game with the most swearing (HotD) and most violence (MadWorld) were Wii exclusive when people looked at the console as being for kids/casuals.

I assume they mean scripted swearing since games like GTA would have people shouting in the streets.

Mafia 2 took the swearing title.

Think HotD has a good shot at most f'd up ending as well

I love the HotD took its exploitation B-movie premise and ran with it all the way, including
    the "missing reel" gag when you play through on standard mode where suddenly you've got a chain gun and the boss is the size of a building
    . I might dig it out again this evening, come to think of it...

Also, I would've thought Madworld would be perceived as less violent than something like Manhunt, given that (or its sequel) got banned for being too violent... *boggle*

Think Manhunt was a bit more realistic, wasn't it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,561 ✭✭✭Rhyme

Think Manhunt was a bit more realistic, wasn't it?

Realistic in a GTA Vice City sort of way. I had Manhunt 2 for the Wii, grand game, pretty gruesome, it was the sound design that really turned the stomach, don't think I finished it before selling it on.

There is a PS5 reveal on the 4th June.
    I'm thinking we'll have a few big Nintendo game reveals in the next couple of weeks. It is that time of year after all.

Hoping anyway :)

A week from Tuesday would've been the Nintendo E3 Direct. Though seems we won't see that for another while anyway.
    May get something from third parties or a few twitter announcements

Was hopelessly browsing for a fairly priced Nintendo Switch when I stumbled on this gem...

EZOEKNbXYAgR7Dw?format=jpg&name=medium

https://reddit.com/r/gaming/comments/gsxavh/was_hopelessly_browsing_for_a_fairly_priced/

What a really $h1tty thing to do. 😂 😂 😂

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,180 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

I wouldn't buy that under any circumstances kid does that sort of thing in the shower imagine the joys hiding on the screen and on the buttons yuk

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,747 ✭✭✭Inviere

nintendoo wrote: »
    There is a PS5 reveal on the 4th June.
    I'm thinking we'll have a few big Nintendo game reveals in the next couple of weeks. It is that time of year after all.

Hoping anyway :)

Same date as the below reveal....hmmm....

JAPANESE TECH JOURNALIST TEASES A "REVOLUTIONARY" ANNOUNCEMENT (POSSIBLY FROM SEGA) THAT WILL "RILE UP THE GAMES INDUSTRY" SET TO APPEAR IN NEXT WEEK'S FAMITSU
    This outta be exciting!

https://gonintendo.com/stories/361909-japanese-tech-journalist-teases-a-revolutionary-announcement-p

What could it be? New hardware? That they're being bought out by someone? That they're going exclusive for a while?

Think Famitsu reveals are usually leaked a day or 2 before the issue releases

• Registered Users Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭GhostyMcGhost

Hmmmm.....

https://www.sega.com/platform/xbox-series-x

Looks like some kind of placeholder

Guru Larry.

But wonder how that would work. It would be strange for Sega to release games on rival platforms, but would they be available on other platforms in the west?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,960 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

Would be weirdly full circle, given Sega once reportedly pushed Microsoft to make the original Xbox backwards compatible with the Dreamcast.

Sega have a ton of IP they could exclusively release on Xbox. Would be great with some fresh ideas and Xbox series X specs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,180 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

I still hope they release these two first especially on Switch

Power Stone Collection

Evolution Collection

• Advertisement

Hmmmm.....

https://www.sega.com/platform/xbox-series-x

Looks like some kind of placeholder

Not one to read too much into, necessarily - https://www.sega.com/platform/nintendo-switch

Advertisement