Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nintendo: General Discussion

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,012 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

Nintendo’s NNID hack was almost twice as big as first reported
    140,000 additional accounts were affected

https://www.theverge.com/2020/6/9/21285084/nintendo-nnid-switch-hack-accounts-affected-exposed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,051 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

Waved goodbye to my two left Joycons today, off for repair, safe travels you useless little critters.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,958 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

I've had both my Joycons repaired by Nintendo and they're on the blink again - these things really are made out of cream crackers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 482 ✭✭nintendoo

Waved goodbye to my two left Joycons today, off for repair, safe travels you useless little critters.

Joycons are just switch bookends :)

His Power Star is replaced by Seeing Stars. It always runs out when you need it the most.

• Advertisement

Nintendo Shares Hit New High Boosted by ‘Second Wave’ Concerns

https://www.bloombergquint.com/business/nintendo-shares-hit-new-high-boosted-by-second-wave-concerns

sligeach wrote: »

His Power Star is replaced by Seeing Stars. It always runs out when you need it the most.

Never understand the humour in seeing kids get hurt. What I really don't understand is parents who've happened to record it, then choose to put it online.

Never understand the humour in seeing kids get hurt. What I really don't understand is parents who've happened to record it, then choose to put it online.

The kid is perfectly fine, it looked far worse than it was. I had thought about posting this as well, which was up before I posted the original clip.

sligeach wrote: »
    The kid is perfectly fine, it looked far worse than it was. I had thought about putting this up as well, which was up before I posted the original clip.

Yeah, the kid was still going to end up crying in pain, yay. Fake Internet points for the dad of the year though.

Come back! Don't be scared/scarred. It's too late anyway. That which has been seen, cannot be unseen. Just be grateful it's daytime.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 884 ✭✭✭_Godot_

A code for anyone who wants to buy the nintendo hanafuda set from their store. One use only. MNS0PU9ZL-U40V-BEYF-BL1X

It's mad the stuff you can come across trawling through Twitter. I stumbled upon this completely by accident just now and searching further, only one gaming site has picked up on it so far.

Nintendo Marketing Representative and Partnered Twitch Streamer Sloane ‘Skipper’ Wolf Praises Shake Shack Because “They Poison Cops”
    Sloane 'Skipper' Wolf has deleted her Twitter and LinkedIn accounts after facing backlash for her support of Shake Shack's then-alleged 'poisoning' of NYPD.

https://boundingintocomics.com/2020/06/17/nintendo-marketing-representative-and-partnered-twitch-streamer-sloane-skipper-wolf-praises-shake-shack-because-they-poison-cops

https://www.oneangrygamer.net/2020/06/nintendo-rep-sloane-skipper-wolf-praised-shake-shack-for-poisoning-cops/111538/

Nintendo shares in Japan soar to levels not seen in more than 10 years — one analyst urges caution

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/06/18/nintendo-shares-in-japan-soar-to-levels-not-seen-in-more-than-10-years.html

Hmmm Xbox one doesn't have giro aiming and PS4 in a couple of games.

Here was me thinking that these super duper 4K consoles with trillions of triangles per second ... would. Especially on all those 3d open world games/shooters ...

hold on a second while I carefully move the cursor with the thumbstick ...

Hopefully breath of the wild etc and popularity of the switch will educate game developers and players out there.

Dumbfounded I am. :)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,452 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

nintendoo wrote: »
    Hmmm Xbox one doesn't have giro aiming and PS4 in a couple of games.

Here was me thinking that these super duper 4K consoles with trillions of triangles per second ... would. Especially on all those 3d open world games/shooters ...

hold on a second while I carefully move the cursor with the thumbstick ...

Hopefully breath of the wild etc and popularity of the switch will educate game developers and players out there.

Dumbfounded I am. :)

Really? I tried that giro aiming in Splatoon and didn’t like it at all, don’t remember it in BoTW but then I never did play that too much. I’m happy for it to stay well away from my Xbox/PS/PC games (except for the motion controls with things like the Oculus Quest, that’s fantastic). :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Giro aiming takes a while to adjust to. Once you do though there's no going back. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭Dayjur

switch has done nothing but gather dust since I got it not anything worth a damn on it

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,073 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

Dayjur wrote: »
    switch has done nothing but gather dust since I got it not anything worth a damn on it

Well that's definitely a meaningful attempt at conversation and not a poundshop effort at trolling :/

If you don't feel joy in your life playing Super Mario Odyssey, I think you may need medical attention. And I say this as someone who's yet to try BotW due to an aversion of committing to games with 100+ hour playtimes...

Andrew76 wrote: »
    Really? I tried that giro aiming in Splatoon and didn’t like it at all, don’t remember it in BoTW but then I never did play that too much. I’m happy for it to stay well away from my Xbox/PS/PC games (except for the motion controls with things like the Oculus Quest, that’s fantastic). :D

Did you use the bow in BOTW on switch with pro controller or joycons ? If so you used gyro. It's super fast and fine control all at once. It's like aiming a real bow (ish). It's super satisfying. Whereas using a thumbstick is clunky and slow and inaccurate. And it's like using a ... thumbstick.

I am amazed that you don't even get this as an option in the PS4 AAA games. Was thinking I'd love to play horizon zero dawn but ...

I've recently bought an Xbox one x and just assumed the Witcher 3 and RDR2 would have this. Pretty disappointing to be honest!

I hope to god the next generation Sony and ms consoles provide this as an option.

Fysh wrote: »
    Well that's definitely a meaningful attempt at conversation and not a poundshop effort at trolling :/

If you don't feel joy in your life playing Super Mario Odyssey, I think you may need medical attention. And I say this as someone who's yet to try BotW due to an aversion of committing to games with 100+ hour playtimes...

Yep, SMO is genius gameplay digital treasure. Pure joy and love from Nintendo.

BOTW is like that too. Times 3. With knobs on. Play it now. You won't need to play anything else. Plus there might be no electricity tomorrow!!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,625 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Dayjur wrote: »
    odyssey is woeful compared to galaxy, The switch is a glorified mobile device

This is an attempt to disrupt and troll the users of this forum.
    Any further posts of this nature may result in an infraction/ban.
    Take this as a mod instruction.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,452 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

nintendoo wrote: »
    Did you use the bow in BOTW on switch with pro controller or joycons ? If so you used gyro. It's super fast and fine control all at once. It's like aiming a real bow (ish). It's super satisfying. Whereas using a thumbstick is clunky and slow and inaccurate. And it's like using a ... thumbstick.

I am amazed that you don't even get this as an option in the PS4 AAA games. Was thinking I'd love to play horizon zero dawn but ...

I've recently bought an Xbox one x and just assumed the Witcher 3 and RDR2 would have this. Pretty disappointing to be honest!

I hope to god the next generation Sony and ms consoles provide this as an option.

Yes I used the bow with the Pro Controller, gyro is just not for me. Although to be fair, I just didn’t like BoTW all that much in general, which I know puts me into an extremely small minority (I got past 2 or 3 of the divine beasts and gave up). I much much preferred Horizon Zero Dawn. RDR2 was boring af so that was sold to CEX. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭recyclops

Can anyone talk about the pricing on switch.

I have a ps4, xbox and around 200 or so games collected over the years due to gameshare and sales on both so cost was quite low. (digital mainly) not counting the 100 plus on xbox gamepass .

Myself and the wife have looked at a switch but it's near 350 new or go second hand, the games look pricey so we can't figure out the maths to buy it as it'd be near half a grand for games/peripherals before we turn it on.

recyclops wrote: »

I have a ps4, xbox and around 200 or so games collected over the years due to gameshare and sales on both so cost was quite low. (digital mainly) not counting the 100 plus on xbox gamepass .

Myself and the wife have looked at a switch but it's near 350 new or go second hand, the games look pricey so we can't figure out the maths to buy it as it'd be near half a grand for games/peripherals before we turn it on.

Switch is expensive but it is a mobile and a home device. It's small, quiet and very portable. You can play it in the car and take it on holiday. Your basically buying it for the Nintendo AAA games. These are games that are suitable for most age groups and sexes. They are inclusive and fun. In contrast God of war, RDR2, etc are adult entertainment, often male entertainment.

So, you are buying for Mario, Zelda, Pokémon, Smash, Animal Crossing, ... E.g.. Animal crossing is 50 quid but you could get 100s of hours each out of it, you, wife and kids. Or you might hate it. So, if you buy physical you can resell at a small loss. These games hold their resale value for a long time.

I think my family have got 300 hours so far out of BOTW and the kids have been playing Animal crossing since march. I'd say we got 150 hours out of Odyssey and at least 200 on Mario Kart. Mario Kart never gets old especially with multi player.

Then again we have Luigi mansion 3 and Smash bros which rarely get played. And I might just sell these.

A lot of the games work well multiplayer couch play too.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,073 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

recyclops wrote: »

Two easy questions will help you determine whether a Switch specifically makes sense for you:
    1) Does the whole home/portable hybrid aspect draw you in? and
    2) Do you view Nintendo 1st party titles as a strong draw?

If either or both those answers are a yes, go for it. Otherwise, skip it. Many good games are on Switch but the ones that will definitely remain exclusive are the Nintendo ones - if they don't appeal, you'll just spend more money on games you could probably play elsewhere.

If you do go for one, buy yourself a pro controller - you can get 3rd party decent ones for ~€25, or you can get a 3rd party adapter that lets you reuse existing controllers for other consoles.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭recyclops

Fysh wrote: »
    Two easy questions will help you determine whether a Switch specifically makes sense for you:
    1) Does the whole home/portable hybrid aspect draw you in? and
    2) Do you view Nintendo 1st party titles as a strong draw?

If either or both those answers are a yes, go for it. Otherwise, skip it. Many good games are on Switch but the ones that will definitely remain exclusive are the Nintendo ones - if they don't appeal, you'll just spend more money on games you could probably play elsewhere.

If you do go for one, buy yourself a pro controller - you can get 3rd party decent ones for ~€25, or you can get a 3rd party adapter that lets you reuse existing controllers for other consoles.

Thanks for that

1. is a big no, that and working from home I hardly leave now haha, I have my 2ds for portable/holidays and plenty to be playing on that.

2. They do, well really only oddysey, already played BOTW on an old wiiU.

As a fan of videogames I try have all consoles to play as much as poss in term of exclusives etc.

Trying to sway herself on why we should shell out for odyssey alone is a tough one. She hates animal crossing as there is no real point to it, loves Co op multiplayer like unravel 2,guacamelee etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,211 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

Young lad (5) playing/finishing Mario Oddysey today (he's been playing it on and off for a fairly long time) had it on the TV and he was after going over all of the lava etc.. to get to Bowsers wedding, after he got there he died a few times and decided to change outfit to the white top hat and tails, and when he went back and was annoyed because he had to go over the lava area again. I asked him if he knew that, and he said yeah, but he wanted to look fancy for the wedding :D

Nintendo Chills Mobile Ambitions After Animal Crossing Success

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2020-06-21/nintendo-chills-mobile-ambitions-after-animal-crossing-success

This is a subscription service, so you may not be able to read it, as there's only 1 free view I think. You can also view it through Google.

https://www.google.ie/amp/s/www.bloomberg.com/amp/news/articles/2020-06-21/nintendo-chills-mobile-ambitions-after-animal-crossing-success
    EbF4CtOXsAA0qqA?format=jpg&name=900x900

EbF4CtOXsAA0qqA?format=jpg&name=900x900

I was just thinking I didn't see Pokemon Go mentioned at all but then that's not just Nintendo and Niantic involved. And this is covering Nintendo's mobile development partnership with DeNA.

• Advertisement

Suckit wrote: »
    Young lad (5) playing/finishing Mario Oddysey today (he's been playing it on and off for a fairly long time) had it on the TV and he was after going over all of the lava etc.. to get to Bowsers wedding, after he got there he died a few times and decided to change outfit to the white top hat and tails, and when he went back and was annoyed because he had to go over the lava area again. I asked him if he knew that, and he said yeah, but he wanted to look fancy for the wedding :D

Classic!

Advertisement