Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nintendo: General Discussion

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 482 ✭✭nintendoo

recyclops wrote: »
    Thanks for that

1. is a big no, that and working from home I hardly leave now haha, I have my 2ds for portable/holidays and plenty to be playing on that.

2. They do, well really only oddysey, already played BOTW on an old wiiU.

As a fan of videogames I try have all consoles to play as much as poss in term of exclusives etc.

Trying to sway herself on why we should shell out for odyssey alone is a tough one. She hates animal crossing as there is no real point to it, loves Co op multiplayer like unravel 2,guacamelee etc.

Super Mario 3d world (does multiplayer), Galaxy 1, 2 on Wii U so and just wait until Switch 2 or BOTW2. Sounds like you are covered for everything else.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,012 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

That's one of the things people forget about the Wii U. It has backwards compatibility(and a HDMI port) with the Wii and access to an enormous catalogue of games, many dirt cheap.As an example, I know Switch Fit Adventure is popular now but it's like €80. I bought a Wii Fit board back in the day and it was I can't remember, maybe €60-70. Then a few years ago, I bought another one from CEX, fully boxed with Wii Fit Plus for something like €3. Just €3! CEX aren't great for bargains on current stuff, but you can get a load of bargains on older games, particularly the Wii.

Really , Odyssey pushed me to buy a Switch. I ended up selling perfectly fine Wii U games for some technical improvements for BOTW and some captain toad dlc. I'm not into Animal crossing or Pokémon or RPGs. I've yet to get hooked by Luigi Mansion 3.

Switch hardware is much simpler , quieter and smaller than Wii U and the kids love AC and sometimes Pokémon (and the rest) :) plus their friends have way more switches for online :). And the portability is magic.

But still ... It was that one goddamn game that pushed me over ! Oh, also got a cappy cap :) still a wonderful game.

• Administrators Posts: 54,070 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

nintendoo wrote: »
    Switch is expensive but it is a mobile and a home device. It's small, quiet and very portable. You can play it in the car and take it on holiday. Your basically buying it for the Nintendo AAA games. These are games that are suitable for most age groups and sexes. They are inclusive and fun. In contrast God of war, RDR2, etc are adult entertainment, often male entertainment.

So, you are buying for Mario, Zelda, Pokémon, Smash, Animal Crossing, ... E.g.. Animal crossing is 50 quid but you could get 100s of hours each out of it, you, wife and kids. Or you might hate it. So, if you buy physical you can resell at a small loss. These games hold their resale value for a long time.

I think my family have got 300 hours so far out of BOTW and the kids have been playing Animal crossing since march. I'd say we got 150 hours out of Odyssey and at least 200 on Mario Kart. Mario Kart never gets old especially with multi player.

Then again we have Luigi mansion 3 and Smash bros which rarely get played. And I might just sell these.

A lot of the games work well multiplayer couch play too.

This has downsides too.

I have all the consoles (and PC), the Switch is definitely the most expensive one to run. The games are expensive, but unlike the other consoles it's very hard to find the games cheap anywhere, and they tend to hold their value for a very long time. The sales are pretty rubbish.

Zelda has been out over 3 years now but it's still 60 quid in Nintendo store.

On the other hand, lots of fun exclusive games that you can play wherever you want.

awec wrote: »
    This has downsides too.

I have all the consoles (and PC), the Switch is definitely the most expensive one to run. The games are expensive, but unlike the other consoles it's very hard to find the games cheap anywhere, and they tend to hold their value for a very long time. The sales are pretty rubbish.

Zelda has been out over 3 years now but it's still 60 quid in Nintendo store.

On the other hand, lots of fun exclusive games that you can play wherever you want.

Yes - Nintendo love your money!

Don't buy Nintendo AAA games in the eshop unless they have their 33% discount which usually appears a couple of times a year. Also, buy physical ... cheaper in Smyths and Amazon etc. Then there is the Amazon.de Switch game sale about once a year :) You can then sell once you're really finished with them.

• Advertisement

NINTENDO SWITCH PRODUCTION HAS RETURNED TO 100% CAPACITY

https://nintendosoup.com/nintendo-switch-production-has-returned-to-100-capacity/

It should hopefully just be a case of getting them back into the system.

sligeach wrote: »
    NINTENDO SWITCH PRODUCTION HAS RETURNED TO 100% CAPACITY

https://nintendosoup.com/nintendo-switch-production-has-returned-to-100-capacity/

It should hopefully just be a case of getting them back into the system.

Time for some AAA software announcements to take the shine off Sony until at least December so. I also see images of PS5 off the production line today too. Looks like they are getting ready to rumble!

FURUKAWA: NINTENDO SWITCH PRODUCTION TO STABILIZE BY SUMMER 2020

https://nintendosoup.com/furukawa-nintendo-switch-production-to-stabilize-by-summer-2020/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭DeSelby83

How is Overwatch on switch? I loved the game on PS4 but only have the switch lite. Id love to hear some feedback from people here on now it plays, I know the control fidelity is a little more difficult on the small sticks on the lite but still interested to see if some/most characters are still playable.

5m physical copies of AC New horizons copies sold in Japan. During a pandemic.

https://www.nintendolife.com/news/2020/07/animal_crossing_new_horizons_becomes_switchs_first_game_to_sell_5_million_boxed_copies_in_japan

Nintendo is in a different universe to Sony and MS. Even with the next gen stuff MS/Sony don't have the hybrid/low power/portable hardware or all ages/sexes mix of games. Switch is probably good enough for most players. Sony/MS still mostly targeting adult males and hard core gamers. Am I wrong ?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,625 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

So much of Xbox/PS content is directed at FPS fanatics and games that enshrine the cop/military/fantasy tropes, be in first person, third person and so on.
    And in the main tends to be 16/18s rated it seems, as well.

Nintendo seem to be catering for the greater number of gaming peoples out there, of all ages.

To play devils advocate, this is often due to the refusal of publishers to bring their big properties to the Switch in the first place, I mean the Switch could handle the Arkham trilogy, most of the COD titles of late and much more, but Activision and EA have little interest in brining that type of content to the device.
    As a result, and also due to the frustratingly slow output of AAA titles from Nintendo, there ends up being more breathing room for smaller indie type titles on the Switch, as well as ported mobile titles, which then give the eShop a more <12 friendly profile.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,073 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

I was thinking along similar lines - 10 years ago the 360 had a really solid reputation for being Indie-friendly due to XBL. Now it seems to be back towards competing with Sony "for the players" (I'm in the target demographic for this campaign and it's one arguably worse to me than the EA Sports "It's in the game!" tagline, which was a previous high watermark for boll0x taglines).

Now, the Switch is following the Wii (and I presume Wii U) issue of having had massive amounts of absolute arsegravy shovelware on there, where if you just get a mediocre port of a mobile game you're still doing well. But when you consider that, as numbers go, "people who play games on their mobile device" almost certainly outnumber players of games on any other device family including PC, that's probably better than aggressively pursuing a significantly-more-niche audience...

Interesting anecdote - one of my nephews is 11, and spent a lot of the last couple of years playing Minecraft before switching over to Fortnite on his XB1. Even with an XB1, he still wants a Switch - which says a lot to me about the appeal of at minimum the Nintendo 1st party titles.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,258 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

I would put "hardcore" in quotes there. Not a fan of the term myself since there's no definition of it. Is it those who play Dark Souls or those who play Call of Duty? Or just someone who plays a lot?

Personally, I buy based on the games I want to play. I got the Nintendo consoles for the likes of Mario, Zelda and hopefully Metroid and I choose PlayStation over Xbox because it had exclusives that appeal more to me as well.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,073 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

CastorTroy wrote: »
    I would put "hardcore" in quotes there. Not a fan of the term myself since there's no definition of it. Is it those who play Dark Souls or those who play Call of Duty? Or just someone who plays a lot?

Personally, I buy based on the games I want to play. I got the Nintendo consoles for the likes of Mario, Zelda and hopefully Metroid and I choose PlayStation over Xbox because it had exclusives that appeal more to me as well.

For my money "hardcore" = self-proclaimed "gamer" i.e. it is an identity thing, rather than a hobby thing. In my head that goes along with a marked focus on primarily FPS or sports franchises (buying the new one on release regardless of whether it is worth it as its own game - though in the days of mass online multiplayer I can sort of see the rationale for this in terms of concurrent player counts etc), as well as arguments about "which platform is better" and other stuff like that. Also weirdly detailed and specific definitions of what "real" games are so that they can ignore people who play Sudoku/CandyCrush/Mario/whatever as not being "real gamers".

The increasing PC overlap with consoles means that, for my decreasing interest in non-Nintendo AAA games, I can usually wait for the Steam release. I own a PS3 mainly because I was able to buy it for £100 new and it serves dual duty as Bluray player and games system, but my Wii gets more regular use than the PS3 (that's what building Wii Fit into your daily routine will do!).

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Wouldn't use Japan sales as a basis of the world's view on games anymore, they are far more interested in the mobile gaming market than anything else for some time now.
    A shame its Animal Crossing that they are buying as its not even a good game. I don't even play Dark Souls to know that New Horizon is as shallow as a puddle.

Without a doubt, this is the best glimpse inside Super Nintendo World, and it's looking absolutely fantastic.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=DaY81nd0nEE

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,458 ✭✭✭RedXIV

Folks, anyone any experience in printing out replacement box sleeves for their games? Those of ye saw I was looking for Tomodachi Life for the 3DS and ending up getting a copy second hand and the box has NO sleeve at all. Anywhere that you could get a fairly official looking one printed? Cheers guys!

RedXIV wrote: »
    Folks, anyone any experience in printing out replacement box sleeves for their games? Those of ye saw I was looking for Tomodachi Life for the 3DS and ending up getting a copy second hand and the box has NO sleeve at all. Anywhere that you could get a fairly official looking one printed? Cheers guys!

I printed out a 3DS New SMB 2 sleeve on the office colour laser printer, back when we went into offices :)

I just googled and found the sleeve online.

It's fine - hardest bit was cutting it out from the A4 page. Steel ruler and a blade.

Need to do the same for DKC tropical freeze on switch; 'cause I've a manky second hand copy of that. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,076 ✭✭✭safetyboy

RedXIV wrote: »

http://www.thecoverproject.net/view.php?game_id=9470

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,747 ✭✭✭Inviere

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    I mean the Switch could handle the Arkham trilogy, most of the COD titles of late and much more, but Activision and EA have little interest in brining that type of content to the device.

In fairness it's not comfortably handling those games, and has to do so often at sub-HD resolutions to keep any semblance of a frame rate. Heck even Link's Awakening has significant issues with frame rate dips and dynamic resolution used to keep the game chugging (sub-30fps at times).

I'm not knocking the Switch here, it's a fine little machine, but it's fair to say it's having a hard time with AAA games (there are some exceptions, but these are usually 7th gen games and even then with some issues) only 2-3 years into its life. As a developer, you've to spend time paring back the experience so the hardware in the Switch can run it...that costs time, money, and ultimately it'll be a visual experience left in the dust by other consoles that have an already large user base. I'm just not sure it makes enough sense to warrant the outlet.

This isn't an exclusive situation for a Nintendo console though, and ever since they've adopted to not compete with the other two in terms of hardware, third party AAA support has greatly suffered (going back as far as the Wii). They've carved their own niche out and fair play to them for it...but this is a consequence of that model.

• Advertisement

I can understand porting single player focused games like Witcher to Switch over multiplayer focused games like CoD.
    I'm sure a high number of those who have a Switch also have a PS4/XBox/PC. So the only ones of those who would buy ports on the Switch are those who want a portable version. And portability and online multiplayer don't really work well together.
    Personally, I would choose the PS4 or PC version as my Switch rarely leaves the Dock. And it's usually cheaper.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,747 ✭✭✭Inviere

I'm sure a high number of those who have a Switch also have a PS4/XBox/PC.

Exactly, if you're buying a Nintendo console to play the latest FIFA & CoD games...there's something amiss. Nintendo are probably the best first party developer in the world (if not then they're close)....that's why you buy a Nintendo console.

Shareholders Q&A
    https://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/pdf/2020/qa2006e.pdf

Few things that makes me wonder.
    They mention games planned for the fiscal year shouldn't be affected. The fact they haven't announced anything means they're covered there. I know they would've planned other games to release before April but just doesn't sound good.

Talking about seeing pictures online of families playing the Switch and all that will influence how they proceed doesn't seem to take into account the pandemic. those same families would likely be off out doing separate things under normal circumstances.
    Side note, but how successful would switch and its games be if not for the pandemic?

When asked about a new Direct or game announcement they pretty much dodged the question.

Switch was doing very well before the pandemic. Worrying that they're are still no new announcements for 2020. They will have to show something soon. Sony have played their cards, at least some ... and MS having a big show and tell this month too.

Hopefully they don't just go into ring fit, animal crossing limbo for the next 6 months. I think paper mario will be good, but I don't think it will have that much of an appeal. 60 FPS HD 3d Mario Compilation will sell tons in the current climate.

They need to announce some big titles for Xmas time. I don't think the pandemic is a good enough excuse for game development since it can all be done mostly remotely. But maybe Nintendo really behind the times here. Also I guess it's really the physical side of things that is making them pause. Eg no point in having a killer AAA system seller game if they don't have the hardware to flog with it etc

For the Direct question they pointed out how there no events. What they seemed to ignore is everything went ahead digitally without specific events. Like MS had one and another coming, Sony had theirs, Ubisoft is supposed to be later this month, EA had one, PC had one. So all the big E3 events still happened or are happening within the coming weeks except Nintendo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

For the Direct question they pointed out how there no events. What they seemed to ignore is everything went ahead digitally without specific events. Like MS had one and another coming, Sony had theirs, Ubisoft is supposed to be later this month, EA had one, PC had one. So all the big E3 events still happened or are happening within the coming weeks except Nintendo

I think though Sony and Microsoft absolutely had to show something with consoles launching before end of the year, while Nintendo, although a bit more quieter than expected, can wait. There's some rumours about a Direct, or announcements this month, and I think there will be something soon. The Mario collection seems nailed on now and some insideds have said there is other unannounced titles. Sony and Microsoft are in very different announcing cycles though. Even Square Enix have said their planned E3 announcements won't be until July and August.

There always a period of a year where some state 'Nintendo have to do something' when in reality they really don't due to their own way of doing things, both good and bad. I think some understate the impact of the situation of Japanese game development too, working remotely isn't nearly as modern as some might think regarding meetings etc.

SCALPER CAN’T STOP LAUGHING AT PEOPLE BUYING ANIMAL CROSSING AMIIBO CARDS AT 100 TIMES THE COST

https://nintendosoup.com/scalper-cant-stop-laughing-at-people-buying-animal-crossing-amiibo-cards-at-100-times-the-cost/

EcKiLZKWoAMj1yE?format=jpg&name=small

What scum with pure clickbait BS!

THE GAMECUBE GETS A GORGEOUS MAHOGANY MAKEOVER
    Better than Spice Orange

EcKkUVqWsAEQQ4J?format=jpg&name=small

https://gonintendo.com/stories/364389-the-gamecube-gets-a-gorgeous-mahogany-makeover

This looks gorgeous. The Gamecube was always a timeless little beauty.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,625 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Spice is almost the best colour.
    I've got a purple GC, PAL.
    I've got a Spice NTSC/J GC.

But a user in A&R and friend of many here, Atavan, has a teal coloured GC, which is a development model, and it is just gorgeous.
    Touch Fuzzy can confirm!

Advertisement