Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nintendo: General Discussion

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,561 ✭✭✭Rhyme

There's a Tales of Symphonia Gamecube that's a minty green too, similar to teal. I remember one sitting in the GAME store in the Ilac for years. I loved the look of it but I had my black one and certainly couldn't afford a second version of the same console.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,258 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

First thing I thought when seeing that is you would want to be careful in case you summon Pinhead

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,637 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

Rhyme wrote: »
    There's a Tales of Symphonia Gamecube that's a minty green too, similar to teal. I remember one sitting in the GAME store in the Ilac for years. I loved the look of it but I had my black one and certainly couldn't afford a second version of the same console.

Those "tales" consoles sell for serious money these days. Definitely my favourite of the versions I've seen. Never got the hype over spiced orange.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,763 ✭✭✭Doodah7

I have the Zelda silver one. Never liked the purple!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,012 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

Here's Super Nintendo World at night. Bowser Castle's eyes are glowing. Thwomp's eyes also glow red at night.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=e6tbT0H0hwY

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,625 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Hope there isn't a Jurassic Park type event, with the first customers eaten by a mecha King Koopa and the survivors smushed by out of control Thwomps!

Ah, I see you read the script for the new Mario film.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,051 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

Waved goodbye to my two left Joycons today, off for repair, safe travels you useless little critters.

They came home today after their holiday to the UK (which is more than I am getting this year), in their custom joycon box. Seem to be fixed at the moment but we're not going to use them unless we're out and about.

If/when they do break again, my replacement joycon stick's arrived from China today and I'll try and fix them myself next time.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,076 ✭✭✭safetyboy

Has anyone bought from Aliexpress

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32850861099.html

I bought these in April and they have been sitting in Ireland for over a month, anybody know where they could be or who to contact, I have received no letter or anything about customs?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,217 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

Reading the Bargain Alerts forum recently, stuff from China/AliExpress are tossed into a corner of an An Post sorting office until they feel like going through them. Not sure if you can contact them about it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,625 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

As long as you have a tracking number you should be able to ring the parcel depot and track it down.
    But stuff from AliExpress takes such a long time to get here, and with Covid it has taken even longer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Grassey

Its weird I've stuff from start of covid "in destination country" for weeks undelivered. And stuff I ordered 2 weeks ago arrived yesterday. Very hit or miss.

I tend to find sticking the tracking number into 17track gives more detail than the aliexpress tracker, can see when it's sorted by an post, when it goes out for delivery etc.

My son's birthday was the middle of last month, I ordered a Haylou watch for him, from AliExpress, back in March...
    Still don't have it.
    In fact I got a lovely message, just as the protection on the item expired, that they were extending the protection for a further few months, which suggested I might take delivery on time for his next birthday instead.

Today, the 11th, marks the 5th anniversary of Satoru Iwata's passing. This is a nice tribute from Arlo.

Remembering Satoru Iwata Five Years Later

https://youtube.com/watch?v=EFAW4aRfTFA

• Closed Accounts Posts: 794 ✭✭✭pasta-solo

sligeach wrote: »
    Today, the 11th, marks the 5th anniversary of Satoru Iwata's passing.

Such a shame he didn't live to see the success of the Switch. He was a true legend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 895 ✭✭✭tbahh

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    My son's birthday was the middle of last month, I ordered a Haylou watch for him, from AliExpress, back in March...
    Still don't have it.
    In fact I got a lovely message, just as the protection on the item expired, that they were extending the protection for a further few months, which suggested I might take delivery on time for his next birthday instead.

This happened to me on an item I bought on AliExpress, they had extended the protection too but in the end, I just asked for a refund as I said I'd buy it from a more local retailer. I never got around to doing it though with Covid and stuff but the item arrived around a month after I was refunded.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,747 ✭✭✭Inviere

^^ Pretty damning performance from everything I've read about it. Single digit frame-rates in some open sections (yes that's sub-10 fps at times!). Struggling performance seems a common theme among many Switch releases lately, & you'd have to wonder if Nintendo will be inclined to update the hardware sooner rather than later.

Performance/battery life/cooling is always going to be a balancing act when considering a handheld, and I don't think many are expecting PS4/Xbox One levels of performance from something that they can play on a bus...but it does seem the hardware is hitting its limits, and has done so relatively early into the life of the Switch.

That said, you can't consider the hardware only a few years old...it's a 20nm Tegra X1 from 2015 in the original Switch, and a slightly refreshed one in the newer units. In a hardware sense, it's practically a dinosaur :o A newer SOC with a much smaller manufacturing process/node (e.g. the Tegra Xavier which is a 12nm SOC), would give much more performance, at lower temps, using less power....& that's what the issue comes down to here...thermals & power efficiency.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 482 ✭✭nintendoo

There is a lot to be said for portability ... But BOTW2 running on a RDR2 like engine on Xbox one x or next gen hardware would-be astonishing. Think we'll have to wait another 5 years for that, unless Nintendo product a home console only docked Super Switch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,747 ✭✭✭Inviere

nintendoo wrote: »
    There is a lot to be said for portability ... But BOTW2 running on a RDR2 like engine on Xbox one x or next gen hardware would-be astonishing. Think we'll have to wait another 5 years for that, unless Nintendo product a home console only docked Super Switch.

BotW is a spectacular looking game when freed of the technical constraints of the Wii U (look it up running on Cemu, a Wii U emulator.) If you have the horsepower, it can run at 4k resolution, at >60 fps, with "reshade", and raytracing effects...

While incredible looking, I don't think we'll see that level of performance on a ~€300 handheld, even within five years...nor should we expect to. Nintendo would need to move away form the hybrid approach to achieve the above, and with the success they've had with the Switch, they'd kinda be mad to step backwards. They make some of the best games in the world, and they've proven they don't need expensive/powerful hardware to do this...so the successor to the Switch will likely be another hybrid, just a good bit more capable and efficient.

Personally, I feel they need to be targeting hardware that will give them a locked 60fps on games for a few years, and continue at 1080p resolution. It's a shame the Switch is hitting a hardware wall so soon in its life, but it doesn't stop it being a smash hit of a console.

• Advertisement

It's incredible what Nintendo achieved with BOTW asthetics. The game just sucks you in ... And there are no uncanny valley moments to kick you out again. It's got two believable distinct universes ... the over world and the shrines. Also, it never gets dark or overbearing, so it's a very relaxing, stress free game to just chill in. 60 FPS would be extra nice icing on that cake.

Deadly Premonition 2 has flopped in the UK. It could only reach number 32. It takes practically nothing to get in the Top 40, you're probably talking about selling literally a few hundred copies.

Codemasters’ F1 2020 has debuted at number one in the UK charts, but Deadly Premonition 2 hasn’t done nearly as well.

https://metro.co.uk/2020/07/13/f1-2020-forces-last-us-part-2-third-place-uk-top-10-games-charts-11-july-12982032/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭blockfighter

I picked up F1 20 on Stadia and can confirm it's amazing :) . Would love if they brought it to Switch but for now I'll make do with Stadia portability.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,801 ✭✭✭iamtony

I picked up F1 20 on Stadia and can confirm it's amazing :) . Would love if they brought it to Switch but for now I'll make do with Stadia portability.

Havent even thought abouy stadia since it launched and was getting bad reviews is it good enough to stream a game like that without lag?

sligeach wrote: »
    Deadly Premonition 2 has flopped in the UK. It could only reach number 32. It takes practically nothing to get in the Top 40, you're probably talking about selling literally a few hundred copies.

Codemasters’ F1 2020 has debuted at number one in the UK charts, but Deadly Premonition 2 hasn’t done nearly as well.

https://metro.co.uk/2020/07/13/f1-2020-forces-last-us-part-2-third-place-uk-top-10-games-charts-11-july-12982032/
    Amazing mario kart is still in the charts and animal crossi g is above the last of us 2.

iamtony wrote: »
    Havent even thought abouy stadia since it launched and was getting bad reviews is it good enough to stream a game like that without lag?

Played about 3 or 4 hours last night, both on big tv and on phone. Runs like a dream. Played it on lunch break just now at work on chrome browser, works perfect. Lag is no more noticeable than input from any controller to console. Stadia is starting to win me over more each day

Played about 3 or 4 hours last night, both on big tv and on phone. Runs like a dream. Played it on lunch break just now at work on chrome browser, works perfect. Lag is no more noticeable than input from any controller to console. Stadia is starting to win me over more each day
    I must look at it again thanks. Do you have to buy the Official controller?

No I played on the chrome browser using Nintendo Pro controller and Stadia controller. Not totally sure about playing on phone or TV though. Assuming Pro controller will work with them too but would need to check.

Edit: Just checked, playing on tv through chromecast is with Stadia controller only. Playing on chrome browser with most modern controllers using bluetooth with your pc or usb cable.

• Advertisement

Advertisement