Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nintendo: General Discussion

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,397 ✭✭✭xckjoo

I noticed some Switch games on Amazon.co.uk are "code in box" (no cartridge)

Do these codes work in Ireland or are they locked to UK-region ?

Thanks
    There's no region locking on the Switch so shouldn't be a problem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

I noticed some Switch games on Amazon.co.uk are "code in box" (no cartridge)

Do these codes work in Ireland or are they locked to UK-region ?

Thanks

If they're uk, easiest way to redeem would be to create an extra user with their location set to the UK, and redeem it through the UK e-shop. Will still be playable by any user on the console.
    xckjoo wrote: »
    There's no region locking on the Switch so shouldn't be a problem.

Think that's for physical games, for digital ones, they'd need to be redeemed from the e-shop for that region.

• Registered Users Posts: 796 ✭✭✭Eduard Khil

I'd guess they should be fine a fair few here bought a code version of Little Dragons Cafe from Argos mine worked fine. I'd guess currency cards would need a UK account but these codes in a box shouldn't

Seems Nintendo are winding down the original (Wii U) Mario Maker.

It was bound to happen, but always makes me sad to see things like this. It has some nice features that the sequel doesn't.

https://twitter.com/NintendoAmerica/status/1331614255016194050

• Closed Accounts Posts: 204 ✭✭Hey_Listen

Seems Nintendo are winding down the original (Wii U) Mario Maker.

It was bound to happen, but always makes me sad to see things like this. It has some nice features that the sequel doesn't.

https://twitter.com/NintendoAmerica/status/1331614255016194050

It's a real pity they don't open source the server side stuff for things like this so that it can live on ...

Just looking at xbox -> it needs a network connection to MS just to get the current time ... no battery in the device to maintain the time. Mad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6 Jolo2002

Does anyone know if Gamestop/Smyths/Argos are getting in the physical Ori and the blind forest game? There's nothing on their websites except for the sequel on Smyths and I was hoping to pick up up for Christmas.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,561 ✭✭✭Rhyme

If nowhere else is selling it, you can get it here. I've used the website a few times;

https://www.base.com/buy/product/ori-and-the-blind-forest-definitive-edition-switch/dgc-oridens.htm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,320 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Jolo2002 wrote: »
    Does anyone know if Gamestop/Smyths/Argos are getting in the physical Ori and the blind forest game? There's nothing on their websites except for the sequel on Smyths and I was hoping to pick up up for Christmas.

I'd say they all will. It's £40 on Amazon for the Collectors Edition.

I've just finished Will of the Wisps and it's great. Not quite as good as the first but the two of them are among my favorite games of this generation. The music is brilliant, it really sets the tone.

TitianGerm wrote: »
    I'd say they all will. It's £40 on Amazon for the Collectors Edition.

I've just finished Will of the Wisps and it's great. Not quite as good as the first but the two of them are among my favorite games of this generation. The music is brilliant, it really sets the tone.

Definitely prefer the 2nd one. But they are both great. The demo for the first poor - just showing the very sad prelude story and a bit of platforming. I'd say this puts a lot of people off when the game just literally flys after that. Played first on switch and 2nd on xbox. Looking forward to see what this developer does next

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 415 ✭✭ureds

Any Irish retailer selling Amiibo?
    Gamestop,Smyths and Argos have nothing!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 796 ✭✭✭Eduard Khil

CeX or Adverts both are hit and miss for prices and availability but that's your options unfortunately.

ureds wrote: »
    Any Irish retailer selling Amiibo?
    Gamestop,Smyths and Argos have nothing!

Try Amazon UK + prime before Brexit

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,877 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

Got this email from Nintendo. I've recently sent back a couple of joycons.
    Dear Nintendo Customer,

We are writing to you in regards to your outstanding repair order with Nintendo.

With Brexit imminent, we have recently made changes to our processes for repairs from the Republic of Ireland to allow for new customs regulations.

This means the freepost label that we have previously posted to you is no longer valid. Please do not use this label from today onwards as this could risk your Nintendo item being held at customs. If your repair is already in transit, do not worry, this will be delivered as normal.

If you are yet to send us your item and still wish for your Nintendo item to be repaired, please log a new repair order on our Customer Support site.

From today we will be arranging courier collections for new repairs raised for the Republic of Ireland.

If you have any questions, please contact our Customer Support Team, please do not reply to this email.

Kind Regards,
    Nintendo Customer Support.

So instead of sending back our broken stuff, they'll be sending a courier to pick them up. I presume there'll be a charge on that, especially if its out of warranty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭deadl0ck

I hadn't sent my game and watch back so I had to reapply to send it via courier
    No charge that I can see
    For customers in the Republic of Ireland: We are arranging a collection for your Repair Order via DPD. Please securely package your product using the comprehensive packaging instructions enclosed. DPD will email you the details of your collection within 72 hours of this email. Please note that DPD will provide a label on collection. In the situation that the collection does not take place please contact our Nintendo Customer Support Team. If you wish to track your parcel please visit track your parcel.

Please Note: Nintendo endeavour to retain the information on the console during the repair process, but in some certain circumstances this may not be possible. We strongly recommend that you make a backup copy of any data that you do not remove or delete.

If your console is still within its warranty period, please include a copy of your proof of purchase to enable our repair team to confirm the warranty status. Please bear in mind that all paperwork that we receive from you will be destroyed once warranty is confirmed which is why we kindly ask you to not send us any original paperwork such as original proof of purchase.

In the situation that the post label is not used within 30 days, please raise a new repair as the original post label will no longer be valid.

If your console has been set up with a Parental Control please do not forget to remove it before sending us your item.

We'll be in contact shortly with further updates after the reception at the Repair Centre of:
    GAME WATCH SM BROS SYSTEM

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,368 ✭✭✭madmoe

The_B_Man wrote: »
    Got this email from Nintendo. I've recently sent back a couple of joycons.

So instead of sending back our broken stuff, they'll be sending a courier to pick them up. I presume there'll be a charge on that, especially if its out of warranty.

I sent my Switch and Joycons back to them weeks and weeks ago. Got the repair bill and they are not charging to fix the Joycons but they are to fix other things with the Switch itself. Have paid for it and am waiting for it back now.

Cheers,
    M

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

Lads, quick question.

I got a switch for someone for Christmas.

I’m wondering will there be hours of updates on Christmas morning when they turn it on.

Thanks

Lads, quick question.

I’m wondering will there be hours of updates on Christmas morning when they turn it on.

Thanks

will only have to run one update

glasso wrote: »
    will only have to run one update

Any idea how long?

Lads, quick question.

Thanks
    Any idea how long?

For me, usually the console itself updates in under 10 minutes. The games can take significantly longer, but this obviously depends on each individual game.

If you are in a position to get these updates ahead of time, I'd absolutely do that. I'd recommend the same for any console; just in case there are any server issues due to everyone plugging in their brand new consoles all around the same time. (Or another "Lizard Squad" incident.)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭GhostyMcGhost

One point about the downloads on switch is that they stop if another game etc that you’re playing requires the network so my advice if you can is to close all games doing the update, just let it do it’s thing

Download speeds are quite reasonable, if a little bit in on the slow side in my opinion

• Advertisement

Any idea how long?

a firmware update is only about 300mb - takes a few minutes at most

you're not likely to have a load of physical games to update I suppose. on a big AAA title there can be some big updates but most are not that large.

glasso wrote: »
    a firmware update is only about 300mb - takes a few minutes at most

you're not likely to have a load of physical games to update I suppose. on a big AAA title there can be some big updates but most are not that large.

Animal crossing and Mario party. Both physical

Animal crossing and Mario party. Both physical

1gb update on animal crossing - 10 mins max

tiny one on party.

will have to create account of course for the user and if want to implement parental control (via phone app) better to do that it advance as will take more time than software updates.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,397 ✭✭✭xckjoo

Worth remembering that you can play games offline without the updates so you could do something like play in the morning and let it update while having dinner. It should prompt when you launch the game but it's easy to accidentally tell it to update so read the prompt carefully

xckjoo wrote: »
    Worth remembering that you can play games offline without the updates so you could do something like play in the morning and let it update while having dinner. It should prompt when you launch the game but it's easy to accidentally tell it to update so read the prompt carefully

Didn’t think of that tbh. Good shout.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Banjo

For animal crossing, bear in mind that the update will include all the christmassy stuff (it's a very seasonal game), so if they're clued in on what's current with AC you might want to get that update done in advance. Alternatively might be worth setting the console date to June and firing up the island so you can relive the holiday that covid stole from you ;)

Banjo wrote: »
    For animal crossing, bear in mind that the update will include all the christmassy stuff (it's a very seasonal game), so if they're clued in on what's current with AC you might want to get that update done in advance. Alternatively might be worth setting the console date to June and firing up the island so you can relive the holiday that covid stole from you ;)

I’ve decided just to open and set it up Christmas morning.

They’ll have enough other things to keep them busy while I have a beer, I mean coffee, and set it all up. Lol

• Registered Users Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭GhostyMcGhost

I’ve decided just to open and set it up Christmas morning.

They’ll have enough other things to keep them busy while I have a beer, I mean coffee, and set it all up. Lol

• Registered Users Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭blockfighter

Happy Christmas to all the people who were waiting patiently until today to open their new Switches that they bought about 2 months ago. It'll have been worth the wait.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,073 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

So who got what for Christmas, then?

I got Travis Strikes Again on physical, which I'm looking forward to. Might also have a nosey through the sale list on the eshop, because why not? :D

Advertisement