Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nintendo: General Discussion

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,625 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Wreck it Ralph already captured the spirit of DK, didn't it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,258 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

But he didn't have Cranky Kong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,010 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

Nintendo financial results – November 2021 – Switch at 92.87 million

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,625 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

So,

I own a physical copy of Binding of Isaac, and wanted to by the Repentance dlc.

Despite its release today it was not released in the EU yet, only the US, so I bought it there.

The interesting thing is that I can only play the game and DLC when I use that US Account on my Switch, the EU one won't let me in and asks to delete the US DLC from the system.

I'm hoping this will stop being a problem once the DLC is released here, but I would say not.

I haven't played it yet, I mostly got it for my son, who loves the game

The DLC was 20 dollars, and that cost me only 17.50 euro so not bad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,258 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,843 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

Kinda surprised the Game and Watch Zelda isn't up for pre-order on Amazon as the Super Mario one was for weeks before release.

Only 6 days left before launch afaik?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭Irish Halo

It is, has been for a while (at least since 10 October):

https://smile.amazon.co.uk/dp/B097F6916C

ah sorry I meant it's never been available to pre-order

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭Irish Halo

When I go to that page there's a yellow button that says "Pre-order now"and I'm pretty sure it's said that since I added it to my wishlist in October, I am a Prime member but don't think that usually matters.

strange, it's always been like this on all the Amazons I checked including .co.uk and .de

Maybe they had a quote of pre-orders that disappeared on the first day.

Anyway no matter I'm sure there will be many to order after release as I have some Amazon credit I need to use up against it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,211 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

I set up two email addresses (early on) for Russia and South Africa. They are both on my console and still work (I can use them to purchase etc,).

I meant to change them to e.g. myemailaddress+Russia@gmail.com but never got around to it. I found out yesterday that mail.com closed my account for breaking their rules. No idea what they are (I didn't do anything dodgy with them, nor inactivity), but all I know is that they won't reinstate the account. I lost my paid VPN account, but when I try to change my nintendo account, nintendo want to verify by emailing me a code.

Is there any way around this, or if I contact them (nintendo) will they ban my account, and do I lose all the games I purchased in South Africa or Russia?

My Legend of Zelda Game and Watch arrived today from Smyth's.

And it's a lovely piece of kit.

Tried a bit of Links Awakening and it is still great, just a pity there isn't a DX option included

does it have a built in stand, or is the idea you use the box as a stand?

Additionally, I'm astonished that Gamestop are charging €15 (!) more than Smyths for the same device.. is that pretty standard for them?

https://www.smythstoys.com/ie/en-ie/video-games-and-tablets/retro-gaming/game-and-watch-legend-of-zelda/p/202116

https://www.gamestop.ie/Other%20Products/Games/76792/game-and-watch-the-legend-of-zelda

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,529 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Yeah Smyths/Argos are nearly always a better bet.

Not putting a kickstand on the G&W is a massive oversight. I've heard the box transforms into some sort of stand.

the original G&W had a built in stand.. I wonder was there some risk of choking or some spastic reason?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,010 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

Gamestop are dirt imo. Not surprised in the least by this. And I was thinking kickstand? But ya, it also functions as a clock, that's poor thinking on their part.

The box turns into a display stand, but I don't think I'll be doing that.

I'm going to have one 3D printed instead.

Nice effect when it's powered on, a Triforce glows on the back

I'll prob just use the phone case idea I did for my Super Mario one. Worked great plus it protected the screen when transporting it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭JimBurnley

Posted this in general gaming thread but might be more appropriate here....

Got myself a nice One4All voucher burning a hole in my pocket and seriously thinking of picking up a Switch. Mainly played on playstations in the past altho did have a wii too. I think the Switch will compliment my ps5 (xbox too similar) with different style of games and i like the portability option. Also interested in playing some classic Mario and the likes from their snes online offering. So, is it worth it? And is the new oled version the best bet for the bigger and better screen?

• Advertisement

Yeah the portability factor is the big pull for me on my Switch Lite (hence why I opted for the Lite as I have too many TV consoles).

The OLED looks lovely though and it's one I've considered upgrading to. Eventually.

Decided I'm going for it, into the world of Switch I go... Hit me with your game recommendations, anything from essential AAAs to hidden gem indies to casual multiplayers. Thanks!

Depends what you want. Do you want to start building up a backlog with lots of 30+ hour games, or want to try a few small games to start?

Can't go wrong with the Mario titles like Mario Kart etc... then the huge endless games like Breath of the Wild.

You'll note that Nintendo titles don't tend to go on sale to quite the same level as on Playstation though so be prepared to shell out for 1st party titles.

Indies do go on sale more often though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

Breath of the Wild. That will do you for a few weeks (and more) of play. It's so far been my favourite game on the Switch.

Most of the Nintendo first party games are excellent, particularly Super Mario Odyssey, the Mario collection (64, Sunshine, and Galaxy), Mario Kart 8, Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze to name a few.

But if I were on a desert island, BotW is the game I would choose from nearly all generations of games across all consoles.

Another cool thing you'll find with the Switch is using the gyro to aim. It takes a bit of getting used to and some games implement it better than others. But using gyro to aim in Quake is a sublime feeling and feels as close to keyboard and mouse as you can get on a console. Feels great in handheld mode.

Cheers folks. Quake wasn't even on my radar so will keep an eye out for that. BOTW hope to get soon. Definitely thinking quality over quantity (this should help budget wise too given prices don't change much, I can buy physical then trade in when done), already have a backlog of ps4/5 games so the Switch is for something different than that offers...

Switch exclusives, local multiplayer for the non serious gamer my mrs can get into, then some indies i hear the Switch is good for

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,984 ✭✭✭0ph0rce0

If anyone is looking for a 12 month family online pass let me know. Just bought the wrong one. Cost me 35 quid for the digital code on smyths.

Just looking for 20 quid so I can just buy the single online pass.

Not that it makes a big difference to me but someone might get more use of the family part of it as I won't be ever adding anyone so seems like a waste for me 🤷

Aww ain't they cute

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,051 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

Dare say it's probably gone but I'd buy it off you if you still had it.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,328 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

Hmm.. Nintendo definitely have a flair for designing desirable hardware. The European/Japanese SNES and original Gameboy are classics.

Advertisement