Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nintendo: General Discussion

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭Pac1Man

sligeach wrote: »
    Can you name all the big games coming next year? Wolfenstein 2, Kirby, Yoshi. Are they system sellers? Pokemon will be if it releases next year. Metroid Prime 4 won't be out next year and Metroid as much as I love it has never been a system seller. I hope they have big games unannounced.

The console already has system sellers. Why does it need some every year? No console ever has that.

I don't think I could ever justify spending €400-500 for the ability to play one game so in truth, no game is a system seller for me. However, eventually there comes a time when it's the straw that breaks the camel's back. All of those games you mention are certainly putting more strain on that camel. Xenoblade is still to come too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Banjo

Online :
    Is there a good reason why they're playing still playing catch-up with 2 stationary and 2 portable consoles with Online capabilities and 13 years behind them? How many decades does it take for Patient to become Complacent?

As a very prolific Conslut, I don't think you are in a position to understand how patient we chaste, pure monogamers have been so far.

What I'm saying is - yeah, the Switch is new and in that regard deserves some room to find it's feet. But this problem is not new. This problem has been Nintendo's approach to Online all the way along. And this was their opportunity, coming off the back of a high profile failure, to show the world that they had gotten their **** together.

Services :
    The Switch is portable. Any media capability it could have is no longer competing with the XB/PS, because you can't take them on the go. And your phone - believe it or not - might need some of it's battery life for the taking and making of phone calls where if your Switch battery dies, it switches off and life goes on. So actually, far from being just another device it's actually got quite a nice little niche for itself. Having FlixPlex and whatnot available on it to piggyback off any local Wifi you can find (or using your mobile data via your phone without the drain of your phone's screen) would actually be quite a handy feature.

And that's before you take into account that I'm a cave dwelling luddite monogamer with no other consoles, no streaming solution in my attic, and an admittedly kick-ass sexy phone with a battery capacity like a 6 month old's bladder, for whom having a media-fied games console in their bag would be like having access to Fire or The Wheel.

System Sellers :
    The Switch just had two of the greatest games of all time in the space of 8 months. One the one hand, that's phenomenal. On the other, I have a sinking feeling we'll get to June 2018 and there will be a general malaise of "Yeah, but what have you done for me lately?" (oooh-ooh-oooh yeah!, if you're nasty) and there will be no answer if Pokemon or Metroid isn't ready to be demoed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,999 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

Star Lord wrote: »
    Seriously? There's a difference between bringing balanced commentary, and simply posting negative diatribe for the sake of it. I'm glad you're back posting with us, but seriously, give this nonsense a break. The switch is a hybrid console. Your refusal to acknowledge it as being a home console that's also portable is simply belligerence at this stage. You have some good points to make, and you've made them well in other posts. Repeating the same points again and again ad infinitum dilutes your points, and it comes across as talking down to people. Soapboxing in this manner is grating though, and people can only stand so much of that.

Have you anything to back up the SMO comment?

That's your opinion, I see it as the opposite. The Switch is the 3DS's replacement, Nintendo won't admit that, but that's what it is and if they can bring some console gamers along for the journey by adding TV out then why not. The Wii U could run Super Mario Odyssey, obviously at a lower resolution and maybe reduced to 30fps. Is that a great evolution for a console? I've said it before, it's a great handheld but as a console it's barely better than the Wii U and in many instances it's worse.

Super Mario Odyssey was started immediately after SM3DW came out and was developed by the same team. SM3DW came out in November 2013. Do you think they had Switch hardware 4 years ago?

Edit: Also, if the Wii U was stripped of a browser, apps, Miiverse, off-TV gaming on the gamepad, etc, I'm sure it could have performed a little better as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭tony1980

Why do you keep repeating it though, you have made your point, we have heard the same thing over and over so I can’t see the point of you posting this stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

The Wii U could run Super Mario Odyssey, obviously at a lower resolution and maybe reduced to 30fps. Is that a great evolution for a console?

It's less than half the size of the Wii U, the console alone, never mind the gamepad, and still out performs it. Yes, that is a great evolution for a console.

Doesn't matter that they wouldn't have had the hardware at that stage, it'd have been well into planning, and the game would have been developed with the next platform in mind.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,625 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Given the doldrums the Nintendo brand had reached by 2016, the performance of the Switch has been remarkable and supremely admirable.
    I still think my call that the NES Mini was a brand relaunch was the right one, it primed the punters to see Nintendo as being a games company making games that have inspired generations of both players and developers, and had the brand perfectly placed when the Switch was announced.
    Regarding streaming solutions on the Switch, it'd be great, but it's not a feature I need right now.
    I'm happy to see the device pitched at games for now, but I agree it doesn't have to be an "or" decision, one should have both Mario Odyssey and Plex/Netflix/Amazon Prime, but it's no sin that they aren't there.
    How are such apps commissioned anyway?
    I'm not clear on that process myself.

Concerning the line up for 2018, with a LoZ, Mario Kart and SMO all on the market already, it's might appear that all the big ones are on the market already, but consider instead that the Switch will feature, in time, a new LoZ and MK title dedicated to the console, and that the Nintendo IP pool is incredibly deep, with the likes of Metroid, F-Zero, Waverace, Donkey Kong Country and many more waiting to be developed or in development.
    No reason to suspect that the quality of the products is going to suffer either.

3rd party development is in the ascendant as well, and it's going to be very interesting to see what established 3rd party developers are going to do with the Switch, particularly as the user base expands to the point that they simply can't ignore it.
    With big ticket, expensive titles like Mass Effect find themselves canned following poor sales, it might be that a cheaper to develop for Switch with an audience of paying customers could be the place to be.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,666 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,625 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

That's your opinion, I see it as the opposite. The Switch is the 3DS's replacement, Nintendo won't admit that, but that's what it is and if they can bring some console gamers along for the journey by adding TV out then why not. The Wii U could run Super Mario Odyssey, obviously at a lower resolution and maybe reduced to 30fps. Is that a great evolution for a console? I've said it before, it's a great handheld but as a console it's barely better than the Wii U and in many instances it's worse.

Opinion, and so much wrong.

The WiiU could run SMO?

So what?

The Wii could run SMW3D, with all sort of restrictions, doesn't make it a Wii game, it's a WiiU game.

Games development precedes console releases in every case, and shifts from dev kit to dev kit, nothing unusual or terrible there.
    That dev kits change is normal.
    That a person would imagine that this means that SMO is a WiiU game is just ridiculous.

It's unfortunate too, given that so many have posted how much they've missed your contributions, that upon your return you default to this type of commentary.

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭earthwormjack

ARMS at 1.35 million :) Good work, it probably squeaks into my top 3 games on the system. Been a great year all around for Nintendo software/hardware wise so far. Switch also has the potential to outsell the Wii U in it's first year. Quite a turnaround from that disaster.

ARMS at 1.35 million :) Good work, it probably squeaks into my top 3 games on the system. Been a great year all around for Nintendo software/hardware wise so far.

Arms is a stunning thing, an original IP that has done so well and entirely within the launch window too!

I must confess, I'm not it's biggest fan, but it has struck a chord and I would hope that the pattern of free updates continue, and it's see's continuing sales into the next year, as new users come on stream.

It matches well with the similar success of the Splatoon franchise and makes clear the lie that Nintendo rely on existing IP, a line of bull that those who would recreationally pour scorn on Nintendo would troll with.

• Advertisement

Star Lord wrote: »
    It's less than half the size of the Wii U, the console alone, never mind the gamepad, and still out performs it. Yes, that is a great evolution for a console.

Doesn't matter that they wouldn't have had the hardware at that stage, it'd have been well into planning, and the game would have been developed with the next platform in mind.

The size doesn't matter as a console, sure it's impressive but that's down to Nvidia, not Nintendo. It matters for a handheld though.

So the Wii U was exactly a year old and Nintendo had already started developing games for the next platform? Who knows, the Wii U was such an unmitigated disaster from the get-go that anything's possible. Nah, it would have been planned and developed initially for Wii U.

On another note, I still haven't seen a single Switch ad on TV. Still seeing loads fo PS4 and to a lesser extent XB1.

I see ads for Switch all the time I have to admit. More than Xbox at least, all depends on the TV stations being watched I guess. Cartoon Network and the like are on a lot in my house.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭Pac1Man

On another note, I still haven't seen a single Switch ad on TV. Still seeing loads fo PS4 and to a lesser extent XB1.

I've seen loads. Splatoon focused ones.

Come on man, you know that this is very much a "it's not them, it's you" thing. We've been down this road before. Although, maybe the fact that you don't see them shows that you are not Nintendo's target audience?

The size doesn't matter as a console, sure it's impressive but that's down to Nvidia, not Nintendo. It matters for a handheld though.

Every console has a brand chipset in there,
    PS4 and XB1 both have AMD chipsets, with both using AMD graphics solutions.
    The Switch is based around Nvdia instead.
    Nvidia didn't design the Switch any more than AMD designed the PS4 or XB1.

So the Wii U was exactly a year old and Nintendo had already started developing games for the next platform? Who knows, the Wii U was such an unmitigated disaster from the get-go that anything's possible. Nah, it would have been planned and developed initially for Wii U.

Super Mario Odyssey's development began in 2013, after SM3DW was released, the key word is "began".
    A process of prototyping, developing the various components of the game, the initial platform means nothing.
    It is not a WiiU game, it wasn't released as such, it's primary development has been for the Switch, as that system has been around as a concept since 2014, following massive losses due to the failure of the WiiU.
    So it was likely to be entirely a Switch title since SMO had any significant digital form, given the gestation period of a modern videogame and it's likely release would intersect with the hardware release of the WiiU's replacement.

This was covered elsewhere, perhaps you are watching channels that don't feature the adverts themselves, doesn't seem to matter though, the Switch is still selling just fine without them.
    And what has TV advertising got to do with anything at all?

I see ads for Switch all the time I have to admit. More than Xbox at least, all depends on the TV stations being watched I guess. Cartoon Network and the like are on a lot in my house.

I'm not going to be watching stations like that.

You're missing out. There's some quality cartoons on there these days.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,444 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

Question for Banjo, or any other the other Switch owners actually - if you could make any changes/improvements to the Switch (hardware/software/anything) what would your top choices be?

I saw you dance... in the corner... I heard your name... in a conversation.... playing hard to get.... but I can understand...

(oops - this was in a response to Sligeach not watching Cartoon Network...)

@Andrew76

I went on the eShop when Octopath Traveller demo was released. There was no Demo section. There was no hit for the word "Demo". I had to log onto the website on my phone - because there's no browser on the Switch - to search the site for it and trigger the download, then power up my switch momentarily to get it to pick up the request to download.
    That, in a word, is <snip> - Actually I've tried 3 different words, none of which were as apt as the original but actually highlight the problem with the original more, even though that was not the original words intent. Christ, this is a minefield. Ok, more than one word. As a design, it's been held back by a failure to look at the end to end user experience. I think I avoided anything there that can be misconstrued as an attack on the differently abled. Everyone happy? The wheels are rollin', let's move on!

So I'd change the shop. The Gui. I'd like to see a series of "Player 2" joycons where they reduce the cost by removing tech you don't need to have in a 2nd set of joy cons like NFC or IR, but also bring in stuff you don't have like the L-JC Dpad or analog triggers, so you could - for example - choose to have a DPad/A-Trig Left Joycon with a default right Joycon with clicky triggers and an NFC reader to play some Amiibo based racing sim that has 2D fighter sections, on the go, if that's your thing.

For the most part the hardware is fine. If they brought out a faster, stronger, higher resolution, lighter version that could be used in a VR Headset, or a dock with a co-processor and external storage support in a year or two, I can live with that.

I'd like to see a Family account system so there's an incentive for me to own more than one, where either nominated accounts can share games or you can buy a multi-user license extension that's cheaper than buying the full game a bunch of times. A family account would inhibit region-hopping so it's a win-win.

Might be a silly one, but I'd love a kick stand similar to the Microsoft Surface line on the back. The flimsy one on it now is a bit crap.

Ahy53ef.jpg

It just makes far more sense.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,561 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

I've seen switch ads on sky Atlantic. Which I reckon is one of the biggest sky channels along with the sports.
    Really don't think they can do more than that TV wise.
    Of all the things to bash the Switch about media presence in my view isn't one. The difference between the wiiu and Switch is night and day in that regard.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Andrew76 wrote: »
    Question for Banjo, or any other the other Switch owners actually - if you could make any changes/improvements to the Switch (hardware/software/anything) what would your top choices be?

For me.
    Improve the wifi on the system, make the bezel around the screen far smaller, wider analogue sticks, larger buttons on joycons, headphone jack at the bottom of the system its so awkward in handheld mode, internal memory at 32 GB's is very poor too.
    Its a fun system but I know if they do a hardware revision I will definitely trade in the original system

I'd make the screen bigger, and analogue triggers.
    Perhaps a bump in the built in storage as well.
    Might be a silly one, but I'd love a kick stand similar to the Microsoft Surface line on the back. The flimsy one on it now is a bit crap.

I think the kick stand design is deliberate, being able to breakaway if forced into the dock with it extended, but I'm sure it can be improved.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,561 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

Is the wifi an improvement over the 3ds and wiiu because they were useless at it. Proper internal memory would be nice but what cheap but decent portable unit has plenty of built in memory?

Banjo wrote: »
    That, in a word, is retarded. .

I really don't like that word being used in a derogatory way.
    I can't tell you not to, I am not the moderator of this forum either, I'm sure he wouldn't tell someone not to use certain language either, and I don't want to "trigger" a free speech response either.
    But, being from an Intellectual Disability background of some 32 years or so, man and boy, I really hate that term.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,644 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

ERG89 wrote: »
    For me.
    Improve the wifi on the system

I think this is the single biggest issue for me. I have no issue with anything else really.

OwaynOTT wrote: »
    Is the wifi an improvement over the 3ds and wiiu because they were useless at it. Proper internal memory would be nice but what cheap but decent portable unit has plenty of built in memory?

It has the worst WiFi performance of any device I own. It's the only major problem I have with it so far. My Wii U is proving way better in regards to WiFi.

Edit: I remember reading that it performs better on 5ghz WiFi. My router isn't capable of that so for 2.4ghz it's performance is crap. Someone else with a dual channel router might know more.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,590 ✭✭✭LLMMLL

Super Mario Odyssey was started immediately after SM3DW came out and was developed by the same team. SM3DW came out in November 2013. Do you think they had Switch hardware 4 years ago?

Edit: Also, if the Wii U was stripped of a browser, apps, Miiverse, off-TV gaming on the gamepad, etc, I'm sure it could have performed a little better as well.

So if it's solely a handheld and replacement for 3ds, what's replacing their home console line?

Why are they releasing games on the 3ds that I assumed would have been migrated over to the switch by now?

Is GTA 5 a ps3 game as it's development started before the ps4 was released?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭blockfighter

Better dashboard would be my change. I have around 9 or 10 games now and I'd prefer if more than 3 were visable at a time.
    That and cloud saves.

• Advertisement

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    I really don't like that word being used in a derogatory way.
    While I can appreciate where you're coming from now you state it plainly, my use of the word was in the classical chemical sense rather than playground. In many ways, me being educated beyond the ability to empathise in this situation makes me the victim.....?

Advertisement